SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, nothing as yet. Even RTO personel doesnt know *when* and *if* Operations planning will carry out the reassignment of R160's on the G. Apparently they were just told to be brake ready as the photos reveals. Guess we'll wait and see what happens as to if its actually true or if it was planned and then cancelled or what.

The (G) will only run between Church Av and Nassau Av, so my guess would be that the (MTA) wants the R160s because they have the "(G) to Nassau Av" program. The R68s will have to display "Special" on its rollsigns, and I guess the (MTA) doesn't want to do that

Ah. Okay.

Oh I just want to note that its speculated that the swap should only be temporary until the Greenpoint Tube repairs are complete. I did remember the last time they did split service like this on the IND Crosstown line they simply used R46's. So this is a new one. I guess this was what they did as Coney Island Yard which maintains the R68 G fleet have a surplus of Siemens R160's. So with what YankeesPwnMets just stated and the fact just mentioned it does makes sense.

Well those are the photos posted on the last page, post #7095, with credits so it does make me really wonder.... Its hard to say if RTO division may actually pull this off. The evidence is there that G crews are being asked to be brake ready for R160's on the Crosstown line.

Waiting for snowblock to see this then rip me open a new one for even daring to speculate on this lol.

Edited by realizm

Yeah I saw the videos on facebook. So if 2 service is suspended between E 180 St and 149 St-Grand Concourse for track panel installation and painting on the WPR and electrical work at 149 St, where are the R142As coming from? Westchester Yard? Pretty interesting. Sort of the reverse of a swap on a 6 weekend GO where we would spot R142Bs on the 6.

(G) Trains had R160's couple years ago when it was rerouted to coney island

Yes true. I cant remember exactly, I believe that was during a major roadbed reconstruction project in the vicinity of Jay Street-MetroTech on the IND. The G ran over the Culver Line as you stated.

On the pending N/G swap with these 5 car R160 sets placed on the G (*if it happens) it could be by July 25th I guess. The next phase of the Fix & Fortify Sandy Recovery work GO's on these tubes on the Crosstown line will stretch for 5 weeks into September. We'll see if RTO division superintendents at CIY (along with Operations Planning) indeed carries this out.

gclosure.png

I was amazed when I initially saw the photos that leaked so thats why I am definitely following this. If it happens, it will be pretty interesting to see. If not oh well, whatever. 

The seated capacity of the 5 car R160 sets will be slightly less then the current R68 sets we have on the line, but I guess it can work.

Edited by realizm

Yes true. I cant remember exactly, I believe that was during a major roadbed reconstruction project in the vicinity of Jay Street-MetroTech on the IND. The G ran over the Culver Line as you stated.

On the pending N/G swap with these 5 car R160 sets placed on the G (*if it happens) it could be by July 25th I guess. The next phase of the Fix & Fortify Sandy Recovery work GO's on these tubes on the Crosstown line will stretch for 5 weeks into September. We'll see if RTO division superintendents at CIY (along with Operations Planning) indeed carries this out.

gclosure.png

I was amazed when I initially saw the photos that leaked so thats why I am definitely following this. If it happens, it will be pretty interesting to see. If not oh well, whatever. 

The seated capacity of the 5 car R160 sets will be slightly less then the current R68 sets we have on the line, but I guess it can work.

That's exactly when they ran on the (G)  

Those were all R160s borrowed from the (F)

Absolutely...Those definitely where borrowed (F)...It was nice to have them on the (G) those weekends Thou 

I'm posting from my New York area hotel, my subway mega fanning trip was today. I saw all the important things I needed to see, so that's very good. I'll have photos in the coming days.

Some comments and observations:

1 - My first experience with the (7) was boarding an R188 at Times Square. I bailed as soon as I saw an R62A pull into the station. :D

2. Related to above - a cleaner on said train noted my camera and said to be careful of the cops as they were being pretty paranoid, saying that a woman who took some photos had been fined $120. Well, no cops were encountered and I had no issues.

3. I was worried about seeing the R62As 1960 and 1996 with their RFWs mocking me (headed in the opposite direction), but I needn't have worried. 1996 was in the middle of a train (2000 was facing towards Manhattan) and 1960 was laid up in Corona at midday, so that worked out pretty well. :lol:

4. The boardwalk near Willets Point overlooking Corona yard and that bus depot (can anyone tell me what this is?) is great, I'd kill to have that stretch as part of my daily commute/walk.

5. Heading back towards Times Square, I bailed out of the (7) at GC and made for the shuttle. Unfortunately, I was in a rush so I couldn't get any good photos, and I saw an R62A train doing some filming with a (D) roll sign on the car facing Times Square @ GC (as the train was departing). Made me pretty mad that I hadn't positioned myself in a way where I could have photoed that from across the track. I should have stayed on the (7)!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. What's the difference between an R68 and R68A? I caught one of the R68s on the (B), one of the higher numbered ones with the rollsign in the same place as the R68As. The idioticly placed number boards cannot be maid out in my photos, hence if I ever end up forgetting the details of this day I'll have no way to tell which type is depicted in my photo. Any other tell tale signs?

I mean, I don't mind it too much that I got the R68 instead of an R68A, but only because of the rollsign configuration - I much prefer the R68A style (higher up) over the lower numbered R68 style.

7. The R32s are in really rough shape. They didn't look so bad 2 years ago but at this point I'm in agreement with those calling for their retirement - it seems the more humane thing to do. R42s were alright, minus the tell-tale roof rust (then again, I only rode one car and didn't even get to film in it. But they have two museum pairs, so regret would be pointless.)

8. Will there still be some R142As around (on the (6) especially) after this whole R188 debacle comes to a close? I skipped getting photos of the R142A (6) since I seem to recall reading that some would still be on the (6) after the fact, but at this point I can't be sure.

9. Checked out South Ferry loop, and got some great shots on the Jamaica EL of all the (J)(Z) equipment.

10. I saw no less than 3 R62 (3) trains and I tried to photograph them all, to no success. The lack of room at the ends of many platforms is annoying as hell, and also seems like it could be an inconvenience - giving the crews no margin of error. Thoughts?

11. Peeking into the cabs of the R62s and R62As on the (3) and (1), I noted that in the intermediate cars in the 5 car sets, the R62s seem to have had their control levers removed, while on the R62As they continued to exist. Any particular reason why? (Also, the half cabs on those things are TINY! I really get their reasoning for the conversion to full cab.)

12. I saw two subway performances today. First there was a woman playing the guitar on the Grand Central (S), that was actually pretty benign unlike what I saw on the (J) heading into Manhattan on the Williamsburg Bridge. Full blown hip hop performance. It wasn't bad, but I shutter to think what would have happened if one of those guys hit someone in the head. Crazy guys, hobos, beggars, performers... I've been broken into the subway well and good.

13. The stations are unbelievably hot in the summer.

I think I saw Daniel the Cool at 59 (A)(B)(C)(D). He boarded the aforementioned R68 (B) heading up town, and got off at 72 St. I would have said hi but I couldn't be sure it was you, as well as the fact that I was with the family.

Good trip. Here's to the next one in 5 years.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Has anyone noticed that there are now more R32 (C) trains and more R160 (J) trains back on the line...

Well it seems that they run R32s in sequences. I would count say 3-4 R32s in one direction but the same number of R160 sets in the other direction. A pattern I caught on to as a person who commutes on the IND 8th Ave Line from Brooklyn pretty frequently.

It should be 9 sets of R160's on the C.

Cant speak on the Eastern Division, not there that often.

I saw a R32 on the (A) yesterday.

Interesting observation today. I was on a Manhattan bound (F) which arrived at Union Turnpike with an (E) train, I took note of a car number on the (E) and stayed on the (F), of course it went ahead of us and we were held at 75th Ave briefly. We get to Manhattan and a (B) train catches up to us at 34th st. I transfer to the (B) and take it to West 4th st. I go up stairs and a few seconds later, the next train to pull in is the (E) that went ahead of my (F) at Union Turnpike.

Usually I stay on the (F) because I figure there are more options, the possibility to take the (B) or (D) Express on 6th Ave to get "ahead" and use (A)(C) or (E) at W4th, whichever comes first go continue downtown. So from this one trail where I actually took note of the car number, only if the (E) is in the station at the same time will I transfer, because otherwise the (F) gets to 71st Ave first.

I saw a R32 on the (A) yesterday.

Interesting observation today. I was on a Manhattan bound (F) which arrived at Union Turnpike with an (E) train, I took note of a car number on the (E) and stayed on the (F), of course it went ahead of us and we were held at 75th Ave briefly. We get to Manhattan and a (B) train catches up to us at 34th st. I transfer to the (B) and take it to West 4th st. I go up stairs and a few seconds later, the next train to pull in is the (E) that went ahead of my (F) at Union Turnpike.

Usually I stay on the (F) because I figure there are more options, the possibility to take the (B) or (D) Express on 6th Ave to get "ahead" and use (A)(C) or (E) at W4th, whichever comes first go continue downtown. So from this one trail where I actually took note of the car number, only if the (E) is in the station at the same time will I transfer, because otherwise the (F) gets to 71st Ave first.

that is interesting

also how many of the R trains that start at Continental Av come from 179th st or layups, for example the 10:18 at Continental I saw NIS running on the local track at UT and then I transferred to that R train at Continental. Just curious about it.

Edited by Union Tpke