SUBWAY - Random Thoughts Topic

• Replies 30.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, there's a code that has it cycle through every program. Good catch! The R32's also have a setting to cycle through every display on the ends.

Thanks. I forgot to add this: I saw a (B) to Coney Island program too. And the (N) to Coney Island

There are well over a thousand options on those old Luminator signs, including options for EVERY B-Division station, except those on the Eastern Division.

I sure would love to see a list of all of them.

Edited by Union Tpke

So then why can't they use R46's for the Greenpoint tube closure if it has every station programmed why do they have to use R160's

The G doesn't come out of Jamaica, so it doesn't use 46s anymore. Also, with the closure of the Greenpoint tubes, Jamaica's 46s won't be able to get to the G-line without some serious deadheading.

Edited by Lance

My favorite is the "WALK THROUGH TRAIN" one. BTW, you can sign it up as a (J)(L)(M)(Z) or (1) ... or any letter or number. Using the "to LAWRENCE ST"  "to DEAN ST"  or "BROADWAY/NASSAU" ones might confuse a lot of people who have a short memory. I also have to wonder what the " (S) FORT HAMILTON PKY / SHUTTLE" was ever used for (the R160 has an (F) program to Fort Hamilton Parkway too, for some bizarre reason). And yes, there is a program for "to NEPTUNE AV / VAN SICKLEN" as well as a "to BAY PARKWAY / 22 AVENUE"

That's silly, they're not going to relocate R46's or R160's just so that the signs can say "to Nassau Ave" when putting posters in the windows will suffice. Besides, there will be platform crews at Nassau to redirect customers who don't pay attention. I remember when there were R32's running on the (B) a couple years back, even though the rollsigns said West End. The customers still figured it out.

Edited by Snowblock

My favorite is the "WALK THROUGH TRAIN" one. BTW, you can sign it up as a (J)(L)(M)(Z) or (1) ... or any letter or number. Using the "to LAWRENCE ST"  "to DEAN ST"  or "BROADWAY/NASSAU" ones might confuse a lot of people who have a short memory. I also have to wonder what the " (S) FORT HAMILTON PKY / SHUTTLE" was ever used for (the R160 has an (F) program to Fort Hamilton Parkway too, for some bizarre reason). And yes, there is a program for "to NEPTUNE AV / VAN SICKLEN" as well as a "to BAY PARKWAY / 22 AVENUE"

That's silly, they're not going to relocate R46's or R160's just so that the signs can say "to Nassau Ave" when putting posters in the windows will suffice. Besides, there will be platform crews at Nassau to redirect customers who don't pay attention. I remember when there were R32's running on the (B) a couple years back, even though the rollsigns said West End. The customers still figured it out.

Thanks for the info!

Is the 6:53 out of 207 still running a 68/A? Didn't see it out there today.

I caught an R68A at 9;00 at W4 going back to 207st and Rode it till 168st... it arrived likely at 9:35ish so it should be back in the yard right now

I saw the strangest thing tonight on the QB line this past evening. I was on a Jamaica bound (F) , We left Roosevelt Ave along with a R160 (R) train and we're riding down the express tracks, we slow down at 67th Ave where there's a DEAD R46 train on Forest Hills Local track, Totally dark just sitting there with a (F) bullet in front and no visible passengers on the train or in the station on that side. But then right after we pulled up along a R46 (R) and crawled into Forest Hills together.  :blink:

As it transpires, the plan now is to make a stopover in New York on the way back from my family vacation in Florida, which begins Friday. So, some questions:

1. At which times during the weekday will I find the smallest crowds on the Times Square (S)?

2. I've noticed that on certain lines, trains stop with the lead car at the very end of the platform, and on others the tail car is at the very end of the platform. This makes it difficult to get pictures. On the following lines, at which end of the platform would it be ideal to stand at for good pictures? I suck at motion shots underground, so those are out of the picture. I'm on a time limit and with a set amount of things I want to see (effectively a day to cover the important stuff, such as R62As on the (7) so I can't really afford to troll around the outdoors stations in the outer boroughs - mostly Manhattan, my forays onto the (J) and (7) being the exception.

(B)

(D)

(J)

(3)

(6)

(7)

3. R42s at middays: yes or no?

4. If the answer to question #3 is no: where is a good place to photograph (J)(Z) line layups? I presume I'd find an R42 in that area.

5. Which R62A cars have the alternate style of front rollsigns, with the destination written below the route number?

Edited by ttcsubwayfan