BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

17 minutes ago, Travis Mcnonald said:

Is there any updates on the whole "New Manhattan" project that was proposed last year? I'm legit curious to see if they are going to go ahead with it.

Lol..... That New Manhattan proposal isn't much more than utopian-dystopian fodder, just like that 15-minute city BS....

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Lol..... That New Manhattan proposal isn't much more than utopian-dystopian fodder, just like that 15-minute city BS....

I keep hearing about the so called "15 min city" but I don't know what that's even about? I was thinking that in some ways, that extension could prove beneficial to the MTA interms of adding extra capcity to the system (i.e. a new subway railyard and a new bus depot that could in theory split depolyment duties between Manhattan and Brookyln, assuming new bridges would also be built). I know if it actual does get extended, it would take 20-30 years before being complete.

5 minutes ago, Travis Mcnonald said:

I keep hearing about the so called "15 min city" but I don't know what that's even about? I was thinking that in some ways, that extension could prove beneficial to the MTA interms of adding extra capcity to the system (i.e. a new subway railyard and a new bus depot that could in theory split depolyment duties between Manhattan and Brookyln, assuming new bridges would also be built). I know if it actual does get extended, it would take 20-30 years before being complete.

Perhaps, but that New Manhattan project was proposed by some professor in an attempt to remedy the effects of rising sea levels & the housing crisis.... Imagine extending the tip of Manhattan to have it run adjacent to Red Hook as a means of solving the housing crisis... LMAO, when you currently have all these high rises a] sitting here & b] still being erected for the future, set to having a bevy of vacant rooms as it is/as they will.... Even if this "New Manhattan" bit were to happen, the average rents in NYC would be so through the frickin roof that you could shake God's hand... The scary thing is that you have people like this teaching your kids.

The quote-unquote 15-minute city is a concept that was put out there, that is suggestive of increasing the accessibility of essential services of every city resident living in a particular neighborhood within that city, to where they'd have to travel.... well.... no more than 15 mins. to get to them.... That's if you take that at face value (which I most certainly don't, but that's neither here nor there).... Every neighborhood having a major hospital (for example) sounds nice in theory, but the reality is that it's far feasible to have all these urgent care centers popping up all over the place....

4 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Perhaps, but that New Manhattan project was proposed by some professor in an attempt to remedy the effects of rising sea levels & the housing crisis.... Imagine extending the tip of Manhattan to have it run adjacent to Red Hook as a means of solving the housing crisis... LMAO, when you currently have all these high rises a] sitting here & b] still being erected for the future, set to having a bevy of vacant rooms as it is/as they will.... Even if this "New Manhattan" bit were to happen, the average rents in NYC would be so through the frickin roof that you could shake God's hand... The scary thing is that you have people like this teaching your kids.

The quote-unquote 15-minute city is a concept that was put out there, that is suggestive of increasing the accessibility of essential services of every city resident living in a particular neighborhood within that city, to where they'd have to travel.... well.... no more than 15 mins. to get to them.... That's if you take that at face value (which I most certainly don't, but that's neither here nor there).... Every neighborhood having a major hospital (for example) sounds nice in theory, but the reality is that it's far feasible to have all these urgent care centers popping up all over the place....

Now that you mention it, that new area would probably be a second "Billionaires roll" with huge new residental towers built for the wall street crow that don't feel like moving to Suffolk or Nassau counties. On the plus side, it could make a subway to Staten Island somewhat more doable due to the decreased length between the two islands.

1 hour ago, A Former New Yorker said:

Checked the bus times for the(B60) right now and there are only buses going towards Canarsie and nothing going towards Williamsburg. They f**ked up hard 

There's a few buses going towards Williamsburg. There's also diversions on the route due to a parade of some sort.

1 hour ago, A Former New Yorker said:

Checked the bus times for the(B60) right now and there are only buses going towards Canarsie and nothing going towards Williamsburg. They f**ked up hard 

This should partly give a reason why the trackers aren't showing northbound B60's. There are other long-term service changes on the route that's affecting the tracking of buses.

With all the nonstop transfers Tuskegee Airman depot is receiving from other depots is it safe to say that it’s depot has to have the worst maintenance in the entire system?  People crap on Staten Island, some Bronx depots and LGA depot but I have never seen one depot require so many transfers week after week, day after day and it definitely has to be costing more to transfer buses and to fix up whatever they have. I know buses in general are transferred across the system everyday but not solely to just one depot.
Someone on here a while back gave a reason as to why the depot is functioning the way it is, but my question is how was it allowed to get as bad as it is? 

On 10/3/2023 at 9:56 AM, NewFlyer 230 said:

With all the nonstop transfers Tuskegee Airman depot is receiving from other depots is it safe to say that it’s depot has to have the worst maintenance in the entire system?  People crap on Staten Island, some Bronx depots and LGA depot but I have never seen one depot require so many transfers week after week, day after day and it definitely has to be costing more to transfer buses and to fix up whatever they have. I know buses in general are transferred across the system everyday but not solely to just one depot.
Someone on here a while back gave a reason as to why the depot is functioning the way it is, but my question is how was it allowed to get as bad as it is? 

I wouldn't say Tuskegee is bad with maintenance, but the fact that most of their routes are 24/7 lines spanning the entirety of Manhattan with little to no breaks, stuff is bound to keep breaking down. Coupled with the fact that every bus I see has some sort of damage, the accidents don't help.

I might be seeing things, but I could have sworn I saw an MTA Prevost (one of the older, white ones, maybe an SI unit) NIS with the destination signs displaying "Columbia University". I did a triple take to make sure it wasn't a Columbia U bus or other private carrier/charter, and I am 99 percent sure I saw correctly. Anyone know anything about that?

5 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I might be seeing things, but I could have sworn I saw an MTA Prevost (one of the older, white ones, maybe an SI unit) NIS with the destination signs displaying "Columbia University". I did a triple take to make sure it wasn't a Columbia U bus or other private carrier/charter, and I am 99 percent sure I saw correctly. Anyone know anything about that?

I would not be surprised if the MTA did some private charter shuttle on the side. Maybe it’s for a sporting event for Columbia and they didn’t have enough buses but I find that a little hard to believe since most of Columbia’s shuttles are weekdays only. The other day I was waiting for the Q66 and a bus from Casey Stengel drives by with the sign “Vietnam Veterans Memorial Shuttle” and it had a sign in the window saying “Shuttle Bus” no idea where it was headed but I saw it start up on Roosevelt and head east and 3-4 mins come back west. The Columbia shuttle could be used maybe for open houses to supplement extra service for the influx of visitors. I know the MTA also operates the Dragon Boat Festival shuttle buses from Mets-Willets Point (7) to the festival grounds. 

On 10/6/2023 at 10:09 AM, Lawrence St said:

I wouldn't say Tuskegee is bad with maintenance, but the fact that most of their routes are 24/7 lines spanning the entirety of Manhattan with little to no breaks, stuff is bound to keep breaking down. Coupled with the fact that every bus I see has some sort of damage, the accidents don't help.

.....they've been bad for several years.

1 hour ago, MysteryMan8623 said:

Hello. I’m new to this forum. And I have a question, so this free fare project they’re doing, do they plan to extend the project to other routes like the Q27 or 25 for example? I believe both have very high ridership

...you're not new.

Stick with one account or I'm getting rid of both.

On 10/6/2023 at 1:09 PM, Lawrence St said:

I'd also add that the building is so tight. Takes a lot to find a bus and get it out of a parking spot. Easily buried. 

1 hour ago, Fire Mountain said:

Hey guys. Anyone know how long it takes to delete accounts? I’m starting fresh with the other account and deleting this one….

Also, about the free fare project, do they plan on extending it to other routes in the near future? Seriously, I would like to know…

There has been talk about making the bus system free but I believe the free fare project is to see how well it will work. 

I’m not for making the bus free because where will this money come from? For a big system like MTA tax payers will surely take the blow for it. Growing up my elders always told me nothing in life is free so I rather pay the fare than to potentially have more taxes taken out my check. 

Plus I believe making the buses free is a cowardly way of dealing with the increased farebeating. Most of the people who beat the fare aren’t poor and on their last dollar like many want you to think. Instead many are folks who are irresponsible with their spending. I’ve seen far too many people farebeat with expensive sneakers, the latest iPhone, I’ve seen some going into smoke shops and etc after claiming they had no money. People just don’t care.

1 hour ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

There has been talk about making the bus system free but I believe the free fare project is to see how well it will work. 

I’m not for making the bus free because where will this money come from? For a big system like MTA tax payers will surely take the blow for it. Growing up my elders always told me nothing in life is free so I rather pay the fare than to potentially have more taxes taken out my check. 

Plus I believe making the buses free is a cowardly way of dealing with the increased farebeating. Most of the people who beat the fare aren’t poor and on their last dollar like many want you to think. Instead many are folks who are irresponsible with their spending. I’ve seen far too many people farebeat with expensive sneakers, the latest iPhone, I’ve seen some going into smoke shops and etc after claiming they had no money. People just don’t care.

Making the bus system free makes things more efficient. Front door-only boarding is not going to cut it. It's slow and inefficient. WIth fare beating culture in New York, I highly doubt the MTA can make rear-door boarding a reality with OMNY. Front door boarding is outdated and should be cut. Places with significantly better bus systems like Taipei have all-door boarding which speeds up the process.

9 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

Making the bus system free makes things more efficient. Front door-only boarding is not going to cut it. It's slow and inefficient. WIth fare beating culture in New York, I highly doubt the MTA can make rear-door boarding a reality with OMNY. Front door boarding is outdated and should be cut. Places with significantly better bus systems like Taipei have all-door boarding which speeds up the process.

Except the problem still stands, farebeating has gotten out of control, and the TA’s only response is to make the system free?? No! The taxpayers will take a hit with the increase of taxes, ON TOP of already high taxes in the first place.

6 hours ago, NewFlyer 230 said:

Amazing how people have money for the things they want, but never have money for the things they need <_<:lol: