BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Got this B/O on the B54 with attitude.

I got on the bus, and it was crammed, so I was right behind the sterring panel.

Dialouge:

B/O: Are you going to do that the whole ride?

Me: What?

B/O: You're snorting in my ear.

Me: I didn't do anything. Why don't you just drive?

B/O: Don't tell me how to do my job.

Me: Man, I didn't do anything to you. Do your job!

I moved to the back after that. Guy was a total douche! :mad: Any opinions?

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed on the new C40s they have a "phantom bell" problem. On almost all the ones I been on (mainly the Gleason ones), the stop requested signs would come on by themselves and even show up on the dashboard, but there would be no bell chime. You can even ring the bell normally right after that and thats when the bell and that annoying voice comes on...but the signs would still be lit

...kinda creepy

The latter would be me! lmao

I can believe that...you and your "box o' batteries" ;)

There should be, you'd have to look for it. But if you have a Facebook account, there is an Orion 5 fan page that you can join.

CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG CNG

:):P :P :P

There should be, you'd have to look for it. But if you have a Facebook account, there is an Orion 5 fan page that you can join.

I don't use Facebook, but thanks anyway/

I happen to find the Xcelsiors most of the time on the S48, S51 and S76 as well as the S53.

I've seen a couple on the S48, but I wouldn't say it's as common as the S53.

Here's an annoucement I constantly hear on SI bus routes:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, in order to provide the best service to all our customers, buses on Staten Island may be held by central dispatch."

Anyone want to shed some light on this?

Isn't that when buses are ahead of schedule? I may be wrong though.

^^^^^^

What he said.

Yeah, they'll hold them when they get ahead of schedule, but sometimes they'll just hold buses to keep them evenly spaced. So a bus could be running a little bit late, but they'll hold him for a little while longer because his leader was also late.

Ugh, not my greatest day in the world of buses. Started off the day with three hybrids: one on the S93 Limited, then on the S61 and again on the S44. Afterwards, I lucked out with an Orion 5 on the S62, a Nova LFS on the S54 and then an Orion 5 on the S59.

Now I'm on an Orion Third Gen on the S93 Limited. Tonight I'll probably take the B43 home instead of the B44 cuz I don't feel like risking catching a hybrid instead of an RTS.

Saw an old prevost bus on QB today, pics on a seperate thread. That thing looked like an MC9, and sounded like one of those really old bus engines.

btw there is currently an Orion V CNG out there that sounds like what 7272 or 9967 used to sound like

Saw an old prevost bus on QB today, pics on a seperate thread. That thing looked like an MC9, and sounded like one of those really old bus engines.

btw there is currently an Orion V CNG out there that sounds like what 7272 or 9967 used to sound like

There's plenty of jacked up Orion Vs:

That makes no sense because the M14 and M23 are both out of MJQ. I've noticed that also... Plenty of them on the M14. I've seen some on the M79 as well but not one on the M23.

There's quite a few on the M79 and M86 now. Also saw one the other day on the M31.

That makes no sense because the M14 and M23 are both out of MJQ. I've noticed that also... Plenty of them on the M14. I've seen some on the M79 as well but not one on the M23.

I know there both of out of MJQ lol.

Someone on the other site posted that 100st is only training the M86 B/Os for now and will train the rest of the drivers later on (Or something along those lines) because there's so many B/Os.

Yeah, I've seen them as well as I've been coming down from Riverdale on the BxM2. Nice looking buses I must say. :cool:

Wish I could say the same about the interior. The yellow pillars don't look good at all.

I took one the other day and I can definitely say that they're much less comfortable than the other buses we have running here. Not only do the seats feel like they're made so cheaply, but it was just awful being so close to the ground going through Central Park. I could practically feel every bump and pothole we ran over, and the "please use back door" and "press yellow tape to open door" announcements got quite irritating after a while.

Wish I could say the same about the interior. The yellow pillars don't look good at all.

I took one the other day and I can definitely say that they're much less comfortable than the other buses we have running here. Not only do the seats feel like they're made so cheaply, but it was just awful being so close to the ground going through Central Park. I could practically feel every bump and pothole we ran over, and the "please use back door" and "press yellow tape to open door" announcements got quite irritating after a while.

LOL.... Yeah the inside does leave a lot to be desired. I can only assume that they made the handrails and such yellow for more visibility because they don't look good at all. I also agree with you about them feeling too close to the ground. You have to look up at everything as you're on the bus which is indeed very weird feeling. lol I'm not really wild about the seating layout either. I guess I'm just happy because they're new and somewhat clean for now because those older artics are just GROSS. They smell like @ss and you can see the dirt and filth on those stupid carpet walls or whatever those are supposed to be. I still don't get the (MTA) with that. If you're not going to clean the damn buses, don't bother getting buses with that sort of material because it does nothing but attract dirt and dust and holds a disgusting odor. :tdown:

I don't like how the Nova lfsa's don't have seats in the middle and is standing only. It's not very comfortable to stand towards the 'wall' because people are standing in front of me in the center. The 'panels' are jabbing into my legs when the bus makes a corner turn.

lol... I've noticed the times that I've used them that a lot of folks seem to like standing in that area.

Yeah, I've seen them as well as I've been coming down from Riverdale on the BxM2. Nice looking buses I must say. :cool:

I don't get to Manhattan often so I don't really see the artics, but I find those LFS buses very unappealing asthetically. The LFSA buses I've only rode on the M15 a couple of times, so my memory is kind of vague about the experience. It was better than the standard buses, but I'd still prefer a high-floor on the route (of course, I wouldn't mind if it were newer, but I think the layout is great).

But then again, this is speaking from the perspective of an outer borough rider. I assume the Manhattan routes see more elderly/wheelchair passengers.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about the LFS/LFSA buses is that their safety features slow everything down. The back doors take so long to open and close, and it seems as though they can't close before the front doors do (maybe a B/O can shed some light on this), and those extra few seconds can mean the difference between making and missing a traffic light. Plus, I think those buses travel slower as well. It doesn't make much of a difference in Manhattan, but for instance on the Verrazanno-Narrows Bridge, the bus just feels like it's going slower. Maybe it's because the engine is straining so much.

I'm not a big fan of the Orion 7s, but at least with them, the B/O can close the back door quickly and get moving. (You hear a click and the doors swing shut)

By the way, why do some of the Orion 7s have a push bar by the back door, while others have the tape? Are those a seperate order or a seperate bus type or what? (Like I said, I'm not good with bus types) Obviously I prefer the ones with the push bars because they close faster and the B/O can keep it moving. :tup:

I don't get to Manhattan often so I don't really see the artics, but I find those LFS buses very unappealing asthetically. The LFSA buses I've only rode on the M15 a couple of times, so my memory is kind of vague about the experience. It was better than the standard buses, but I'd still prefer a high-floor on the route (of course, I wouldn't mind if it were newer, but I think the layout is great).

But then again, this is speaking from the perspective of an outer borough rider. I assume the Manhattan routes see more elderly/wheelchair passengers.

I think the thing that bothers me the most about the LFS/LFSA buses is that their safety features slow everything down. The back doors take so long to open and close, and it seems as though they can't close before the front doors do (maybe a B/O can shed some light on this), and those extra few seconds can mean the difference between making and missing a traffic light.

Well yeah it is annoying that the doors take forever to open and close, but they're still better than the old artics by a mile.

Quite frankly I prefer the Xcelsiors. They ride so smooth and I also like the signage too. :tup:

LOL.... Yeah the inside does leave a lot to be desired. I can only assume that they made the handrails and such yellow for more visibility because they don't look good at all. I also agree with you about them feeling too close to the ground. You have to look up at everything as you're on the bus which is indeed very weird feeling. lol I'm not really wild about the seating layout either. I guess I'm just happy because they're new and somewhat clean for now because those older artics are just GROSS. They smell like @ss and you can see the dirt and filth on those stupid carpet walls or whatever those are supposed to be. I still don't get the (MTA) with that. If you're not going to clean the damn buses, don't bother getting buses with that sort of material because it does nothing but attract dirt and dust and holds a disgusting odor. :tdown:

Yeah, the seating layout's a bit annoying also. Seriously, only one single seat? Based on previous experiences, Upper East Siders, me included, hate having to sit next to anyone else, and when I took the new bus everyone in the back just took the outside seat (some with their bag on the other seat) so that nobody would try and sit with them. And the seats facing each other are just plain wrong. There's absolutely no leg room there at all.

I'm not a big fan of the Orion 7s, but at least with them, the B/O can close the back door quickly and get moving. (You hear a click and the doors swing shut)

By the way, why do some of the Orion 7s have a push bar by the back door, while others have the tape? Are those a seperate order or a seperate bus type or what? (Like I said, I'm not good with bus types) Obviously I prefer the ones with the push bars because they close faster and the B/O can keep it moving. :tup:

I think Orion kept changing minor stuff with some orders. I personally prefer the tape because those bars are terrible. I don't like how it rolls rather than is just push in.

The issue with the LF buses is the rear seating... what do you do if people never climb those steps? With the NG CNGs here there's absolutely no room in the back once the seats fill up. With the NG HEVs there's at least a good amount of breathing room considering there's barely anyone back there but it seems like a waste of space if no one moves back.