BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere on the forums, but apparently nycsubway.org has a bus section here. And there's a nice selection of older buses there in the NYC section from roadeos and when they were actually in service.

This MaBSTOA section is really interesting!

http://bus.nycsubway...pix?nsystem=377

--

Looking at a lot of the pics of the New Look Fishbowls Ms. B (Supt.) wasn't lying when she said back then they had no right side mirror!

Edited by youngblaze

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does the busiest second-busiest route around have hourly night headaways? Seriously, you'd think there'd at least be trips between H and the (4) train, kinda like the Bx15.

I remember that the 46 didn't rank as high in terms of night ridership as it did overall, but still, I remember there being several routes with less night ridership running more frequently (e.g. B48) Nothing makes sense.

The numbers given on the B46 as the second busiest route is only for those "paying"; they never showed the actual numbers of those riders who are also farebeating, which makes that a larger number to add to overall ridership. They even added service to the B46 over the summer, and this coming pick too, which shows ridership is still increasing.

That said, it is the busiest route in the US.

And the headways overnight should be every 20-30 minutes, and not hourly -- those hawk runs actually have standing loads late nights. Even the B41 has 30-min headways between Avenue P and Cadman Plaza, with it every hour on the hour going to either Kings Plaza or Bergen Beach (4 hawks). I don't understand... lol

How does the busiest second-busiest route around have hourly night headaways? Seriously, you'd think there'd at least be trips between H and the (4) train, kinda like the Bx15.

I remember that the 46 didn't rank as high in terms of night ridership as it did overall, but still, I remember there being several routes with less night ridership running more frequently (e.g. B48) Nothing makes sense.

Well, it was pretty high up there. I think the B15 & M60 got the most overnight riders (I guess it's people trying to catch overnight flights, and the regular airport workers).

Same way I feel when I'm working the B46 --- I do my best to get in and out of Church Avenue before those B35s come dumping on my bus, especially late nights when LTD service ends and it's just every bus for themselves. lmao!

I ain't about that life, bro...!!

When you do that, what are the headways of the B46? You're not leaving those transferring riders waiting an hour for the next bus, are you? That's just plain wrong. :o

Well since this IS a RANDOM THOUGHTS thread i have a random thought. Imagine the C40LFs running on the Q5/85(i know they can't 'cause depots can't handle CNG SO DO NOT QUOTE ME).

OMG DAT KANT HAPPIN CUZ JAMAKA KANT UZE CNG BUSES!!!!!!! :P

But I have wondered that sometimes...putting certain kinds of buses on routes you usually never see them on

When you do that, what are the headways of the B46? You're not leaving those transferring riders waiting an hour for the next bus, are you? That's just plain wrong. :o

I think it's every 45 minutes, and seriously, it's more work for him lol

There's probably a lot of Dollar Vans and dollar Cabs take people from the Subway on Utica in the overnight hours?

There are a nice amount of dollar vans, but people still take the 46 a lot.

Can I get a transfer from a bus to a subway?

Ex. (F) -> Q102 at Roosevelt Island

As long as you are using a Metrocard you can. Not a paper transfer.

The B46 is actually about every 15 minutes at nights: http://www.mta.info/...kln/b046cur.pdf

I don't think you read that at all. Between 1-4 service goes from 30 to 60 minute headways. I don't even have to look at the schedule to see either. I live in Flatbush, and have plenty experience with B41, B44, and B46 buses on late nights.

I don't think you read that at all. Between 1-4 service goes from 30 to 60 minute headways. I don't even have to look at the schedule to see either. I live in Flatbush, and have plenty experience with B41, B44, and B46 buses on late nights.

OH... I didn't read it... :P

Well that's obviously too little service on those routes at night...

4897 are NOT on bus time...

along with.some Orion Vs and Orion VIIs

Why are you reporting that on here instead of e-mailing the Bus Time team so that they can fix the problem??? <_<

---

Random thought:

So I finally figured out who the douchebag was that bypassed me two nights in a row on the BxM18 a few months ago even though I was standing at the stop. The second night he bypassed me and another regular even though he saw me trying to flagg down the bus. I've had him before on the BxM1 going to Midtown at night and recently started taking him late nights on the BxM2, so I know he's seen more before which makes it even more disgusting. It took me a while to realize who he was because he wasn't wearing his hat, but the face and glasses stood out.... Latino guy (Puerto Rican based on his features)... And then sitting on his bus one night, I put two and two together. I said wait a minute... This is the SOB that bypassed me on the BxM18. I had stopped speaking to the guy long before I realized that he had bypassed me two nights in a row because he seems to give everyone the "F" you when they speak to him so I don't even bother since I could care either way, but the bypassing thing really pissed me.

I heard of another guy complaining to me at the BxM2 stop about being bypassed a few weekends ago, so I don't know what the deal is, but itf hasn't happened since he did it to me. I think the word may have gotten out because I made such a stink that folks at the MTA with whom complaints are filed with are starting to know who I am based on their responses.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8