BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Thanks, I thought so.

Which makes up for the condition the buses are in.

I know way back there was problems with vandalism (and to my knowledge still exists), but are the buses good performance wise or are they shot?

SI's Orion 5s are good performance wise to me... They are dirty but they are not as bad as Queens buses (LGA buses in particular)

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SI's Orion 5s are good performance wise to me... They are dirty but they are not as bad as Queens buses (LGA buses in particular)

Alright. Haven't been to S.I. since the spring/summer of 05 to visit family (they moved out to Cali now). That was also the second and last time I was in NY.

Maybe it's just me, but I really don't like the Orion V's, especially Yukon's. They are the filthiest buses I've ridden. Not bashing any Orion V fans here.

The B/O's out there are fast though, I will admit that.

Yukon's Orion Vs are the absolute worst. Castleton's Orion Vs are much better than Yukon's by far.

Yukon's Orion Vs are the absolute worst. Castleton's Orion Vs are much better than Yukon's by far.

I suppose you mean based on how they run because both are filthy in terms of cleanliness, but yes Yukon doesn't seem to have a clue on repairing local buses. It seems like they lack all sorts of supplies there.

I suppose you mean based on how they run because both are filthy in terms of cleanliness, but yes Yukon doesn't seem to have a clue on repairing local buses. It seems like they lack all sorts of supplies there.

When it comes down to cleanliness, Castleton is a hit or miss. I've been on a number of Castleton Orion Vs that were either spotless or just dirty. As for how they perform, Castleton puts Yukon to shame.

Also, only out of Yukon would you see "mummified" poles for passengers to hold....

Edited by Cait Sith

When it comes down to cleanliness, Castleton is a hit or miss. I've been on a number of Castleton Orion Vs that were either spotless or just dirty. As for how they perform, Castleton puts Yukon to shame.

Also, only out of Yukon would you see "mummified" poles for passengers to hold....

LOL... It's funny though because not that long ago Castleton buses were in a similar state. I still remember seeing passenger bars being held together by duct tape on S48 buses that were Orion Vs...

I think I saw a bedbug on the Q35 today. I got to the rear section to see the seat covers nearly worn away and when I took my backpack off I saw it on one of the straps. I immediately flicked it off into the floor and when I got home shook off my jacket long enough to make sure nothing else was on me. Shit, I'm starting to understand what ViaG is always ranting about.

Edited by Grand Concourse

I think I saw a bedbug on the Q35 today. I got to the rear section to see the seat covers nearly worn away and when I took my backpack off I saw it on one of the straps. I immediately flicked it off into the floor and when I got home shock my jacket off long enough to make sure nothing else was on me. Shit, I'm starting to understand what ViaG is always ranting about.

Yeah I remember seeing fly traps and roach poison on a MTA bus before so I guess this problem is getting real bad. I still think its the MTA's job to replace and clean the seats every couple of years. If you ever want to get sick and miss work or school the bus can be a choice.

Someone explain to me how the hell Spring Creek ended up in Queens Division? On a minor note, I reopened the buses you tried thread

I think someone mentioned that it was like that on an official MTA roster, and someone also mentioned that the Q8 will move there.

I too always wondered what was up with that.

Scanners for the rear doors? Lol, all these years I ranted how it'd be nice if they could have some sort of reader for the rear doors.... would be a big help for artic exclusive lines where people exits the front and are holding up the bus for those waiting to get on. So therefore, I doubt they'd be added for here... makes too much sense.

Wow! I wonder why the TA didn't opt for a similar interior layout for the XD60 not to mention it (OmniTrans XN60) also looks more spacious inside.

MTA prefers the 2x1 layout of seats. Also, Omnitrans' appears more spacious due to the 2 left hand doors.

Scanners for the rear doors? Lol, all these years I ranted how it'd be nice if they could have some sort of reader for the rear doors.... would be a big help for artic exclusive lines where people exits the front and are holding up the bus for those waiting to get on. So therefore, I doubt they'd be added for here... makes too much sense.

Man, scrap the Metrocard system already in favor of GFI passes or preferrably smartcards. It won't be the end of the world.

And speaking of scanners, is Omnitrans considering smartcards as well/to replaces standard passes? I'll have to find out.

MTA prefers the 2x1 layout of seats. Also, Omnitrans' appears more spacious due to the 2 left hand doors.

Man, scrap the Metrocard system already in favor of GFI passes or preferrably smartcards. It won't be the end of the world.

And speaking of scanners, is Omnitrans considering smartcards as well/to replaces standard passes? I'll have to find out.

As long as the rear section is 2x2, I'm fine with the 2x1 setup at the front. I don't want the bench seats like on the Nova LFSA. I don't like the idea of facing people when I can take a seat facing forward and next to the window.

All I care is the end of the card dipping. I'd prefer a swipe reader. Few times lately, the box rejected my card because the card was dipped 'too slow'. And both of those times it cost me an extra fare.

The guy sitting next to me on the S46 had a box with turtles in it. He was talking to somebody else about how he wanted to walk over the Bayonne Bridge one day, so we pointed out where the entrance is to the pedestrian walkway. (It was actually at the stop he intended to get off. When we pointed it out, he realized he missed his stop)

For those who were wondering, the entrance is here. I actually didn't realize it was an entrance until I saw somebody walking along the pathway while I was in a car going over the bridge. One of these days, I want to walk over the bridge and check out Bayonne.

On a side note, I ran into a former member while waiting at a bus stop.