BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
- Well, that, and I saw it was a little over a mile from Crown Heights to Church Avenue, so I figured there's no point in wasting a ride for a relatively short distance.

- So what portion of Church is blocked off then? Like Nostrand to Flatbush or what?

- I'm positive. I got off at 8th Avenue, walked down a block or two to the B70 stop, and the schedule said 4:46 and then 5:06 (When I checked the time, it was 4:51). I had to check to make sure I was looking at the weekday schedule, and sure enough I was.

I just checked the online schedule, and basically those 10 minute headways only apply during the AM rush (both directions). Then late midday/early PM rush, the headway is 15 minutes (both directions), but other than that, it's every 20 minutes or worse.

I was debating between the B16 and the B70 to get to Bay Ridge. The B16 was slightly better (according to the schedule anyway). Service runs every 15 minutes rather than 20. (Of course, if I were concerned about frequency, I would've taken the B63 or subway).

- Out of curiosity, how many got off the bus at the last stop? (For that matter, how many got off at Willow Road East?) Me and one other guy got off at Willow Road East (but the other guy didn't cross under the expressway with me), and there were 2 people left going into CSI.

Like you said, hopefully enough people write in that they get the new stop added. (I've already written to campus officials about it. I guess I might as well send the email to the MTA as well, in the general complaints section) I mean, enough people are affected that it should've been a no-brainer to put the stop in originally.

- No part of church av is "blocked off".... What's happening is they're working from the inside out (by that I mean, the construction is taking place in the middle of the roadway first).... They're removing those old trolley tracks from what I heard..... Right now b/w Rogers & Bedford in both directions, traffic is moving on the curbside lane (meaning, parking is banned)....

- With the B70, that's what I thought, it's every 10-15 mins on the rush (for the most part)....  So it's only 20 at certain parts of the PM rush then; irregular headways basically.....

- That S93 ride I had, no one got off at Willow.... Aside from myself, there were 5 ppl. that got off inside CSI...

There was 1 asian lady & 1 white lady that walked back towards the front gate.... Where they eventually waited after the walk, I don't have a clue, since I was well ahead of them by time I reached the gate... Don't know what the other 3 ppl did though....

You can discount me since obv. I'm not a regular.... But if 2 other people are taking that walk, something's gotta give.... Leads me to believe there's more people either walking or taking the shuttle bus back to victory from the last stop on the 93 during the day..... This is where I'll be optimistic w/ the MTA & say that they'll add a stop short of the gate - the only question is a matter of when....

Guest MTA Bus
Alright, so who's gonna be the first to post pics of artics in service on the B44 (if anyone hasn't already) ?

5839 & 5840 spotted on church & nostrand earlier.....

Somebody already has posted pics of it. 

And what's the point in quoting everyone to restate what was already said? You're not adding anything.^

saw 5830 yesterday and I think a 582x (still with an MJQ sticker) today.

I caught a picture of it myself, last week but I can't post pictures on here there's something wrong with the forums, so I haven't posted pictures in 2-4 weeks now. I have a crap load of pictures to upload ....

- With the B70, that's what I thought, it's every 10-15 mins on the rush (for the most part)....  So it's only 20 at certain parts of the PM rush then; irregular headways basically.....

Well, after like 4 - 4:30 or so, it becomes 20 minutes (that's why I said early PM rush, because that's too late to be midday IMO). Surprisingly, the bus wasn't that crowded. Just the few blocks before we hit the (N) train, and then a lot of people got off and we had a seated load again. But I think a lot of it has to do with the crappy headways deterring ridership, rather than lack of demand.

Lol, I don't think you can have 'sm'. It stands for something else entirely lol. A clue: 'bondage'.

LOL. I just thought you were referring to SMH. Your mind's in the gutter I see. :P

Just a question - the TTC, like the MTA, purchased a lot of hybrids for their fleet and that turned out to be one of the worst decisions they ever made. The buses are terrible lemons. Did anything of the sort happen to the MTA's hybrids?

We had our fair share of mistakes as well. The MTA is even planning to convert an Orion VII to diesel for MTA bus. The Designlines were even worse.

Edited by jgood6195

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ttcsubwayfan" data-cid="638959" data-time="1359574776"><p>

Just a question - the TTC, like the MTA, purchased a lot of hybrids for their fleet and that turned out to be one of the worst decisions they ever made. The buses are terrible lemons. Did anything of the sort happen to the MTA's hybrids?</p></blockquote>

Oh nothing major, just randomly spontaneously combusting for the Orion VIIs, and the infamous M60 incident with the DesignLines with that unproven Capstone turbine system

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="ciboii22" data-cid="638960" data-time="1359575209"><p>

Soooo 800 is back from the dead.</p></blockquote>

You said that already...

Oh nothing major, just randomly spontaneously combusting for the Orion VIIs, and the infamous M60 incident with the DesignLines with that unproven Capstone turbine system

What was that incident again? I heard something like one of the DesignLines stalled out on the M60 at Triboro... Is that true?

Edit: Did some research... It turns out that one of the Designlines couldn't make the climb on the Triboro...

Edited by NYCtrainfan01

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="NYCtrainfan01" data-cid="638993" data-time="1359580367"><p>

What was that incident again? I heard something like one of the DesignLines stalled out on the M60 at Triboro... Is that true?<br />

<br />

Edit: Did some research... It turns out that one of the Designlines couldn't make the climb on the Triboro...</p></blockquote>

Yup, that's the one. After that, they upgraded from a Capstone C30 to a Capstone C65 turbine, but by then it was too late. They pulled all 5 (1302-1306) out of service

...although 1306 actually never saw passenger service, that one was always a training bus

Edited by Fresh Pond

Oohh myy yooo these RTS suckkk...

Dammm I wish UP had some Orion Vs or something other than RTSs.

RTS in 2013??

#DATSDATSHYTIDONTLIKE

I'm sorry but are you serious? The RTS's are still here because the bus itself has withstanded the test of time... They are one of the strongest and best buses ever bult! Nothing last forever though... When they retire, thier legacy will still stand!

Yup, that's the one. After that, they upgraded from a Capstone C30 to a Capstone C65 turbine, but by then it was too late. They pulled all 4 (1302-1306) out of service

...although 1306 actually never saw passenger service, that one was always a training bus

Ah I see... Thanks for confirming that!

We had our fair share of mistakes as well. The MTA is even planning to convert an Orion VII to diesel for MTA bus. The Designlines were even worse.

Thanks!

Oohh myy yooo these RTS suckkk...

Dammm I wish UP had some Orion Vs or something other than RTSs.

RTS in 2013??

#DATSDATSHYTIDONTLIKE

This represents the typical North American 'Newer is better' attitude, which I despise with every fibre of my being. The RTS is a decent bus and will continue to be.