BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

1 hour ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I only did the 25 in line training and on the x (extra list) personally, i hate the 25 with a passion (and I've never been a fan of the 12 either) When I worked east ny, if i could, i picked the B82 (straight or B42 interlined runs, the 17 (straight if possible) or the B15 (straight runs only, no interlines) the b41... Everyone knows the issue with the 41: getting in & out of downtown Brooklyn because of Barclay's center, regardless if an event is being held or not. That creates majority of the issues for the 41. As far as I know, both sides of the 44 are a mix. Alot more senior ops are picking the SBS44 now because of the RDO's and a lack of having to interact with customers due to all door boarding. You can only pick the 49 if you have seniority. There are several RDO's on that run board that appeal to senior ops. The last run out of FB is on the 49, a 7pm report time, and last i checked, one of the top men in the system loved that run because of the RDO's (Fri/Sat IINM) i only worked 100 Street for the RDO's on the 86SBS while I was living in Pennsylvania. That aside i picked out because 100 street is too much like high school.. Alot of drama & gossiping in that depot... Who's sleeping with who... Blah blah blah. Plus, my ex wife works there. That was enough drama in itself. 

The b25 too busy? Did it interline?

And i would agree i prefer straight runs but interlining with the b42 wouldnt be too bad

I guess the rdos on 44sbs are good? 

I guess the 49 has good pay and rdos that make it a sr route 

Im suprised you are able to get a crosstown run arent they usually sr runs?

Did you ever do the 101 102 and 103?

Sheez 100 is a high school if i ever work for the ta i know im not goin there 😂 and i know how it feels regarding an ex avoid her at all costs

If you ever go to grand or fresh pond u should do the b38

Edited by BreeddekalbL

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as what goes on along the route vehicular-wise/traffic-wise, passenger-wise, and pedestrian-wise, the B49 (compared to the big three; B41, B44, B46... lol) is an easy-going line..... I always that it was a quote-unquote senior route.... So my suspicions are confirmed w/ what E. Flatbush Larry stated there.

10 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

The b25 too busy? Did it interline?

And i would agree i prefer straight runs but interlining with the b42 wouldnt be too bad

I guess the rdos on 44sbs are good? 

I guess the 49 has good pay and rdos that make it a sr route 

Im suprised you are able to get a crosstown run arent they usually sr runs?

Did you ever do the 101 102 and 103?

Sheez 100 is a high school if i ever work for the ta i know im not goin there 😂 and i know how it feels regarding an ex avoid her at all costs

If you ever go to grand or fresh pond u should do the b38

I would never work fp or ga as long as i live in Pennsylvania. The travel time and gas doesn't make sense to do so. Plus, I'm not a fan of any of the lines in either depot, except the B7, which i enjoyed as a rookie in east ny (extra list only) I've worked in 100 street twice and this time around, i had the luck/opportunity to avoid the "avenue" (Lex/3rd) by working runs on the 86SBS that no one else wanted because of run pay & RDO's. There are arguably 5 ways a B/O picks a run: for run pay, for RDO's, for the report time, for the clear time or all of the above. Then there's the extra list & VR (vacation relief) which picking for the aforementioned is a slightly different process. So, it is feasible, that if "senior" operators fail to pick run 001 on the M101 because the run pay "sucks" (say 8hr04mins on the clock) and the RDO's "suck" (Sun/Mon or Mon/Tues) that another operator (like myself) who refuses to pick for run pay (there's technically no reason for a single black male with no kids, baby mommas or wife, to pick a heavy 9-12 hour run) and loves being off early in the week,  wouldn't grab that run if it fell to him/her. There are also factors as to why operators pick what depots they work. Could be for a line, could be for RDO's, etc. Not every operator picks a run on a line because they love the line. I can tell you damn near not one operator currently working the M101/2 (i intentionally left the M103 out of this statement), B46 local, B41 or B14 are working that line out of "love". It's for other intangibles, not fandom. As far as the 49 goes, from what i recollect, people pick there for RDO's (more S/S, Sun/Mon & Fri/Sat) the 49 used to pay out (that's why i stated the B2/31 and 49 were the first run boards locked off (completely picked) from when I worked there, but that was almost 5/6 years ago) the 82/42 have interlined due to the relief point at Rock Station. Not every run interlines, but it is a welcome change working the 42 after busting your ass to Coney Island once or twice before your swing.  The 25 interlines with every ENY line that passes by Broadway jct and the depot (B12, Q24/56 and 83) and the B15. I dislike the 12 and 25 for the exact same reason: at certain times of the day, "somehow" you end up doing trips with "no leader". Lateness is a disease on those lines, and there isn't a cut slip big enough to adequately compensate me for the headache. I love the 83 for example. Lateness occurs over there too, but at least I'll get a DHD (deadhead) trip (or 2) out of it and a few trips to the  country club (Q56) 

8 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

As far as what goes on along the route vehicular-wise/traffic-wise, passenger-wise, and pedestrian-wise, the B49 (compared to the big three; B41, B44, B46... lol) is an easy-going line..... I always that it was a quote-unquote senior route.... So my suspicions are confirmed w/ what E. Flatbush Larry stated there.

The 49 is definitely a senior run now, due to Rogers avenue being a total wasteland by the time you come up the line (above foster avenue anyway) the SBS44 running on Rogers has made the 49 a one way pick up & drop off... The most work you do on that line is from the college to foster/ocean, if that. My uncle loves the current  49 set up, which is why with his seniority he'd work the 49 late (after 1pm) 

So regarding any type of Orion VII OG preservation, wouldn't it be more expensive to preserve and maintain an HEV over a CNG given the expensive nature of maintaining the BAE Hybridrive and it's significant wear and tear over the years (esp. on some routes without much stop and go) or is it the other way around? 

14 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I would never work fp or ga as long as i live in Pennsylvania. The travel time and gas doesn't make sense to do so. Plus, I'm not a fan of any of the lines in either depot, except the B7, which i enjoyed as a rookie in east ny (extra list only) I've worked in 100 street twice and this time around, i had the luck/opportunity to avoid the "avenue" (Lex/3rd) by working runs on the 86SBS that no one else wanted because of run pay & RDO's. There are arguably 5 ways a B/O picks a run: for run pay, for RDO's, for the report time, for the clear time or all of the above. Then there's the extra list & VR (vacation relief) which picking for the aforementioned is a slightly different process. So, it is feasible, that if "senior" operators fail to pick run 001 on the M101 because the run pay "sucks" (say 8hr04mins on the clock) and the RDO's "suck" (Sun/Mon or Mon/Tues) that another operator (like myself) who refuses to pick for run pay (there's technically no reason for a single black male with no kids, baby mommas or wife, to pick a heavy 9-12 hour run) and loves being off early in the week,  wouldn't grab that run if it fell to him/her. There are also factors as to why operators pick what depots they work. Could be for a line, could be for RDO's, etc. Not every operator picks a run on a line because they love the line. I can tell you damn near not one operator currently working the M101/2 (i intentionally left the M103 out of this statement), B46 local, B41 or B14 are working that line out of "love". It's for other intangibles, not fandom. As far as the 49 goes, from what i recollect, people pick there for RDO's (more S/S, Sun/Mon & Fri/Sat) the 49 used to pay out (that's why i stated the B2/31 and 49 were the first run boards locked off (completely picked) from when I worked there, but that was almost 5/6 years ago) the 82/42 have interlined due to the relief point at Rock Station. Not every run interlines, but it is a welcome change working the 42 after busting your ass to Coney Island once or twice before your swing.  The 25 interlines with every ENY line that passes by Broadway jct and the depot (B12, Q24/56 and 83) and the B15. I dislike the 12 and 25 for the exact same reason: at certain times of the day, "somehow" you end up doing trips with "no leader". Lateness is a disease on those lines, and there isn't a cut slip big enough to adequately compensate me for the headache. I love the 83 for example. Lateness occurs over there too, but at least I'll get a DHD (deadhead) trip (or 2) out of it and a few trips to the  country club (Q56) 

Sheez you live in pa i bet commute is a pain, i only mentioned the 38 cause its my home route

I take that sr guys will scoop up the 10-12 hour jobs? Do 8-9 hour runs pay well?

I take it that senior guys love rdos that have weekend combo Fri sat sat sun and sun mon?

Is the b42 interlined or are there straight runs 

On lateness i mentioned it a while back where i saw on google trip planner that the b38 to catalpa was 40 minutes late does lateness that severe happen on the b25? What's  "no leader"

Did u ever run the b15 to jfk or do the really short b84?

Edited by BreeddekalbL

1 hour ago, BreeddekalbL said:

Sheez you live in pa i bet commute is a pain, i only mentioned the 38 cause its my home route

I take that sr guys will scoop up the 10-12 hour jobs? Do 8-9 hour runs pay well?

I take it that senior guys love rdos that have weekend combo Fri sat sat sun and sun mon?

On lateness i mentioned it a while back where i saw on google trip planner that the b38 to catalpa was 40 minutes late does lateness that severe happen on the b25? What's  "no leader"

A lot of B/Os have made that move. NYC has become increasingly expensive, even the ghettos. If you are single, I think it's pretty tough to get by on anything less than say $60,000-70,000 because the rents now start around $1500, which means you must make $60,000 to get into a place based on the 40x rent rule. For what he'd pay in a run down area, he could get a nice one or two bedroom or more in PA. The commute does suck though. I know of one B/O who had a place in the city. She'd stay there during the week, and go back to PA on weekends. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

A lot of B/Os have made that move. NYC has become increasingly expensive, even the ghettos. If you are single, I think it's pretty tough to get by on anything less than say $60,000-70,000 because the rents now start around $1500, which means you must make $60,000 to get into a place based on the 40x rent rule. For what he'd pay in a run down area, he could get a nice one or two bedroom or more in PA. The commute does suck though. I know of one B/O who had a place in the city. She'd stay there during the week, and go back to PA on weekends. 

I made the move when I got married, moved back to the city during and after my divorce process and moved back to PA as soon as i could. Commute can be rather easy (I'm 2 hours away from Manhattan) depending on what run you pick and your report time. That's why i prefer to work late. When I'm traveling down i-80 to work, all traffic is heading in the opposite direction, away from the city. What you must account for is wear & tear on your vehicle, the winter months and gas prices. I buy gas in lodi (exit 63) that's arguably the cheapest gas between the Poconos & the city. And what vg8 is stating regarding rent as a single individual: i worked as a security guard, and for a few school bus & access a ride companies before lining up with transit. I basically lived at home with my mother until i passed probation because of the reasons stated. $1500 or more to rent a room... Shared living, in someone's home. (even with a gov't subsidy like LINC, you are still responsible for approx. 2/3 rent)  When i could easily rent an entire home in South Jersey, NEPA (the Poconos), the valley (Allentown) or Germantown (just outside Philly) for approximately that amount.

I explained previously that i have picked the 15. definitely one of the lines i enjoy at ENY. I have respect for the goal & purpose of the 15. How well you manage your run determines whether or not hard working individuals get to work safely and on time. Never did the 84. I hd no desire to pick it, even if I could've. 

What's  "no leader"

The term leader means the run directly ahead of you, based on the line's headways. For example, the B82's headway (time gap between buses) is let's say 7 minutes. If a SLD tells me i have no leader, the SLD basically told me i have a potential double headway, meaning that customers haven't seen a bus for upwards of 13-15 minutes and guess what buddy? You are now responsible for picking them up. Another reason why one may not have a leader is based on a change in headway at certain times of the day. Within the hours leading up to the pm rush, you better pay attention to not only your run, but others around you. Some runs clear and report during that crucial time, which affects your headway. Years ago, i worked the limited B46. During rush hours going north to the bridge, headway was 2 minutes between my run (Dekalb limited) and my leaders run (willy-b limited) about 2 hours later, I'd be a willy-b limited with no limited leader due to runs pulling in, getting relieved, etc. My headway was now 12 minutes. After me, my followers were on 7 minute headways. All lines experience this fluctuation, especially at night, where headway are steadily increased.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

The 82 and 42 perform relief interlines at rock station. The 42 also has straight runs, just like the 82. I'd say it's about even as far as how many runs from each line flip over to the other line. I don't remember how many runs are exactly on the 42, IINM it's definitely less than 20. Of those say 20, at least 10 appear on the 82 throughout the day. I could be mistaken.

3 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Senior operators vary. They're all individuals. Everyone picks RDO's that suit their purpose. Just because someone has 20 years of experience, doesn't mean they want or need Saturday/Sunday off

4 hours ago, BreeddekalbL said:

sr guys will scoop up the 10-12 hour jobs?

Not necessarily. I answered this as detailed as possible. Operators pick runs for various reasons. It's not written in stone that senior operators always pick big money runs. My uncle has 13 years and he hates 12 hour runs. I personally did 12 hour runs on the extra list while on probation. I didn't exactly enjoy them. The money you make on a run depends on your rate of pay, meaning that some operators (myself included) made top pay in 3 years (tier 4, 25/55 pension) the new guys will hit top pay in 5 (62/30 tier 6) until you make top pay, you receive increases. So myself and another operator could pick the same run one pick apart and earn a different wage, based on the other operator not earning top pay as yet. 

I'm planning a New York trip from Toronto this coming April. I intend to fan mainly the Nova RTS, NFI D60HF, and older R-series rolling stock like the R32s. I originally planned this for July 2017 but plans fell short due to personal reasons. I've heard that the Nova RTSes (4900-5249) runs on M66, M72, and routes in downtown Brooklyn, D60HFs (5510-5769) run on M14A, M14D, M79, M101, M102, M103, and R32s on the C and J lines (Correct me if I'm wrong). I've heard of this from CPTDB last year but MTA might've retired some buses or moved them around since, so is this still the case today? What are some suggestions for good routes to fan these vehicles, good and accessible locations for transit fanning, and/or other ideas for transit fanning during my 2-day stay there? I also would enjoy highway runs but at the same time, my safety during my visit is another concern (would rather not fan vehicles in dangerous locations such as Harlem). I know I'm asking a lot but I don't have an extensive knowledge of MTA as I do with the TTC and I've always wanted to visit NYC for this sole purpose. 

19 minutes ago, shawn199 said:

I'm planning a New York trip from Toronto this coming April. I intend to fan mainly the Nova RTS, NFI D60HF, and older R-series rolling stock like the R32s. I originally planned this for July 2017 but plans fell short due to personal reasons. I've heard that the Nova RTSes (4900-5249) runs on M66, M72, and routes in downtown Brooklyn, D60HFs (5510-5769) run on M14A, M14D, M79, M101, M102, M103, and R32s on the C and J lines (Correct me if I'm wrong). I've heard of this from CPTDB last year but MTA might've retired some buses or moved them around since, so is this still the case today? What are some suggestions for good routes to fan these vehicles, good and accessible locations for transit fanning, and/or other ideas for transit fanning during my 2-day stay there? I also would enjoy highway runs but at the same time, my safety during my visit is another concern (would rather not fan vehicles in dangerous locations such as Harlem). I know I'm asking a lot but I don't have an extensive knowledge of MTA as I do with the TTC and I've always wanted to visit NYC for this sole purpose. 

1)  RTS's still run on the M66/72,  and also the M12, 20, 21, 42, 50, 55 & 57

2)  D60s/LFSA run on the 101/102/103 and also on the M14. 

3)  The R32s also run on the (A)

4)  The best place to bus/railfan would be Midtown ( between 72nd to 14th). Best place to trainfan would be Fulton St for the R32 (A)(C)(J)

Hope this helps. 

Interestingly, I drove by Toys R us on Flatbush Ave last night to find in my amazement I wonder what they are going to do with that building.

Also, I notice there is construction and a new dealership is about to open in that area. Just kinda wished that the (MTA) would pay a bit more attention to good commercial property

5 minutes ago, Future ENY OP said:

Interestingly, I drove by Toys R us on Flatbush Ave last night to find in my amazement I wonder what they are going to do with that building.

Also, I notice there is construction and a new dealership is about to open in that area. Just kinda wished that the (MTA) would pay a bit more attention to good commercial property

They closed down that store already?! 

3 hours ago, shawn199 said:

Good routes to ride RTS: B6, B41, B44 local, B46 local, you won't have to wait long for one to show up, the B82 is another one but you might be waiting a while for one to show up, as ENY has far more Orions and New Flyers than RTS.

D60HF, since you're a tourist I'd say the 100th street routes (M101/102/103) or the M14, however IDK if the M14 will still have D60s in April, as the depot it's operating out of is currently getting new Attic buses to replace them. If it's hard to find one in Manhattan, then the BX1/2, BX9 or the BX12 local, all those routes terminals are in safe areas.

Edited by trainfan22

4 hours ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

I made the move when I got married, moved back to the city during and after my divorce process and moved back to PA as soon as i could. Commute can be rather easy (I'm 2 hours away from Manhattan) depending on what run you pick and your report time. That's why i prefer to work late. When I'm traveling down i-80 to work, all traffic is heading in the opposite direction, away from the city. What you must account for is wear & tear on your vehicle, the winter months and gas prices. I buy gas in lodi (exit 63) that's arguably the cheapest gas between the Poconos & the city. And what vg8 is stating regarding rent as a single individual: i worked as a security guard, and for a few school bus & access a ride companies before lining up with transit. I basically lived at home with my mother until i passed probation because of the reasons stated. $1500 or more to rent a room... Shared living, in someone's home. (even with a gov't subsidy like LINC, you are still responsible for approx. 2/3 rent)  When i could easily rent an entire home in South Jersey, NEPA (the Poconos), the valley (Allentown) or Germantown (just outside Philly) for approximately that amount.

I explained previously that i have picked the 15. definitely one of the lines i enjoy at ENY. I have respect for the goal & purpose of the 15. How well you manage your run determines whether or not hard working individuals get to work safely and on time. Never did the 84. I hd no desire to pick it, even if I could've. 

The term leader means the run directly ahead of you, based on the line's headways. For example, the B82's headway (time gap between buses) is let's say 7 minutes. If a SLD tells me i have no leader, the SLD basically told me i have a potential double headway, meaning that customers haven't seen a bus for upwards of 13-15 minutes and guess what buddy? You are now responsible for picking them up. Another reason why one may not have a leader is based on a change in headway at certain times of the day. Within the hours leading up to the pm rush, you better pay attention to not only your run, but others around you. Some runs clear and report during that crucial time, which affects your headway. Years ago, i worked the limited B46. During rush hours going north to the bridge, headway was 2 minutes between my run (Dekalb limited) and my leaders run (willy-b limited) about 2 hours later, I'd be a willy-b limited with no limited leader due to runs pulling in, getting relieved, etc. My headway was now 12 minutes. After me, my followers were on 7 minute headways. All lines experience this fluctuation, especially at night, where headway are steadily increased.

The 82 and 42 perform relief interlines at rock station. The 42 also has straight runs, just like the 82. I'd say it's about even as far as how many runs from each line flip over to the other line. I don't remember how many runs are exactly on the 42, IINM it's definitely less than 20. Of those say 20, at least 10 appear on the 82 throughout the day. I could be mistaken.

Senior operators vary. They're all individuals. Everyone picks RDO's that suit their purpose. Just because someone has 20 years of experience, doesn't mean they want or need Saturday/Sunday off

Not necessarily. I answered this as detailed as possible. Operators pick runs for various reasons. It's not written in stone that senior operators always pick big money runs. My uncle has 13 years and he hates 12 hour runs. I personally did 12 hour runs on the extra list while on probation. I didn't exactly enjoy them. The money you make on a run depends on your rate of pay, meaning that some operators (myself included) made top pay in 3 years (tier 4, 25/55 pension) the new guys will hit top pay in 5 (62/30 tier 6) until you make top pay, you receive increases. So myself and another operator could pick the same run one pick apart and earn a different wage, based on the other operator not earning top pay as yet. 

I don't know how I got quoted for all of the other stuff, but yeah. My uncle was a B/O out of Manhattan and recently retired and left NYC. He couldn't believe what I pay in rent. What I pay now was his old mortgage for his house. He's been on me about purchasing because for a little more I can just own something. When this lease is up, I am definitely going to see look into something because before I know it, I'll be paying over $2000 a month. I'm basically paying almost that now when I look at how much I spend in rent and transportation. I'm not even including other expenses like food, student loans and so on.

27 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I don't know how I got quoted for all of the other stuff, but yeah. My uncle was a B/O out of Manhattan and recently retired and left NYC. He couldn't believe what I pay in rent. What I pay now was his old mortgage for his house. He's been on me about purchasing because for a little more I can just own something. When this lease is up, I am definitely going to see look into something because before I know it, I'll be paying over $2000 a month. I'm basically paying almost that now when I look at how much I spend in rent and transportation. I'm not even including other expenses like food, student loans and so on.

Student loans is one headache I'm relieved I don't have to worry about paying off anymore.....

3 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Lol @ that dealership.... Stupid place to put one IMO; as if the locale for the Brooklyn Auto mall/Plaza Auto mall wasn't bad enough.

I'll tell you this much, man.... I'll be prepared to scoff at whenever they get around to propping up some high-rise apartment in that Toys R' us' place....
You know it's coming - "The Bennett at the Bay"

....then I can go on city-data's NYC forum, wait for the housing lottery thread there & commence laughing my natural black a$$ off!!

I feel sorry for anyone having to rely on the Q35 for any regular commute.

Edited by B35 via Church

45 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Student loans is one headache I'm relieved I don't have to worry about paying off anymore.....

Lol @ that dealership.... Stupid place to put one IMO; as if the locale for the Brooklyn Auto mall/Plaza Auto mall wasn't bad enough.

I'll tell you this much, man.... I'll be prepared to scoff at whenever they get around to propping up some high-rise apartment in that Toys R' us' place....

....then I can go on city-data's NYC forum, wait for the housing lottery thread there & commence laughing my natural black a$$ off!!

Had I not had such an expensive last semester (over $20,000) for my private school in Italy, I would've almost been done. I paid off two of the four so roughly a little over $10,000. About $28,000 left with the last two. 

I know of a few B/O's though that are still living at home. Some guys get expensive cars then they're laid off and broke and desperate. Working for the (MTA) is a day by day thing. My uncle did it and lived to talk. lol

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Had I not had such an expensive last semester (over $20,000) for my private school in Italy, I would've almost been done. I paid off two of the four so roughly a little over $10,000. About $28,000 left with the last two. 

I know of a few B/O's though that are still living at home. Some guys get expensive cars then they're laid off and broke and desperate. Working for the (MTA) is a day by day thing. My uncle did it and lived to talk. lol

Sad sight to see someone living out of their car, period, but especially having gone from previously having a high-paying job....

I'm not a minimalist, but I am frugal as hell when it comes to certain things.... My family jokes around & says that whenever I leave (NYC), I'm going to end up dying a miser (since I don't want kids).... I'm not the person with the 2017/2018/2019 make & model of (insert car brand here), I'm alright with this 2014 sonata hybrid of mine....

NYCHA was fully prepared to significantly raise my mother's rent if i continued to live under her roof, and I've heard the horror stories about $2k rents... My ex-wife's building on 119 & lex is now charging about that for her old apt.. She was paying about that before we moved. It's funny,  because every aunt & uncle i have that has or is currently working in DOB told me that same thing: take everything day to day. Don't ever get comfortable. 

36 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

NYCHA was fully prepared to significantly raise my mother's rent if i continued to live under her roof, and I've heard the horror stories about $2k rents... My ex-wife's building on 119 & lex is now charging about that for her old apt.. She was paying about that before we moved. It's funny,  because every aunt & uncle i have that has or is currently working in DOB told me that same thing: take everything day to day. Don't ever get comfortable. 

Wow... $2k with what NYCHA is going through... I pay market rate. My landlord is an SOB. Calls me up and tells me he's jacking up the rents but offers me a new apartment. We agree on $1500 (this was early last year). I didn't want the place he had. Then I asked for another place. The office tells me $1700, then he tells me $1800, so I said screw it. Inquired about another place he had he tries another fast one... $1899. Unrenovated but more space. No thanks. For $1899 I can get a true one bedroom. Finally settled on $1600 for another place, fully renovated, but as you can see that's a difference of $300 that I keep in my pocket, but had I not played hard ball, he would've gladly charged me more because he thought I'd just pay it. Over two years I save $7200. However, he basically raised the rent $200 in less than a year so by the time I renew, $1800-2000 won't be out of the question, and by then I hope to be out and have purchased a place. 

$2k for NYCHA... SMH... I see some (MTA) drivers in Parkchester that live there. It's probably one of the last places (MTA) workers starting out can go and actually afford. I think you can get a one bedroom for around $1300-1400 (only because those apartments are Mitchell Lama or one of those programs where the rent is slightly lower), but rents shot up there considerably. Something close to 50% in a number of years.

3 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

When I saw the space I immediately said to myself this would of been a perfect extension to store buses for Flatbush or even a depot extension.

Something tells me that they are going to built some expensive property in that area. Yeh, that Q35 is definitely no good. Before you know dollar vans will be running thru that area. However, little that people know that Highway Patrol 2 is in that area.

36 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

After all the news reports this week about NYCHA.  Shola Olatoye, who makes $226,042 a year needs to be OUT as chairperson // Commissioner of NYCHA. NYCHA has no business of instituting $2K rents in Manhattan and Brooklyn while apartments are in deplorable conditions, feces, vermon, bugs, bedbugs and I could go down the line.  All these city council hearings about NYCHA and she hasn't been brought on charges yet is beyond me. However, I would never live in New York City Housing...

9 hours ago, Train92 said:

1)  RTS's still run on the M66/72,  and also the M12, 20, 21, 42, 50, 55 & 57

2)  D60s/LFSA run on the 101/102/103 and also on the M14. 

3)  The R32s also run on the (A)

4)  The best place to bus/railfan would be Midtown ( between 72nd to 14th). Best place to trainfan would be Fulton St for the R32 (A)(C)(J)

Hope this helps. 

6 hours ago, trainfan22 said:

Good routes to ride RTS: B6, B41, B44 local, B46 local, you won't have to wait long for one to show up, the B82 is another one but you might be waiting a while for one to show up, as ENY has far more Orions and New Flyers than RTS.

D60HF, since you're a tourist I'd say the 100th street routes (M101/102/103) or the M14, however IDK if the M14 will still have D60s in April, as the depot it's operating out of is currently getting new Attic buses to replace them. If it's hard to find one in Manhattan, then the BX1/2, BX9 or the BX12 local, all those routes terminals are in safe areas.

Thanks

I see that transit has tinkered with the Q21/41 destination signage on the northbound buses. Saw the Q21 sign last night in Lindenwood, and Q41 today (bus #3657) crossing 101 Avenue. Q41 displays:

Q41 Jamaica ÷ 165 St Term

via Cross Bay Bl ÷ via 109 Av

via LINDENWOOD

1) it's not in the correct order 2) the northbound buses make no stops on Cross Bay, so why highlight it as a via street? Seems like a waste, personally

Q21 displays: Q21 Elmhurst ÷ Woodhaven Bl Sta

Via Woodhaven Bl

Via LINDENWOOD

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry