BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the first time in quite some time, I had a driver that hauled ass, on the B17 in an XD40, it was an 4800, I still prefer the 2014 - 2015 models though even though they are slower than their 4800 counterparts. Every 4800 I ride feels beat up, they are fast, but the build quality feels trash, which is weird considering we got our new C40s at the same time which are pretty solid.

11 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Will there be a reduced schedule for the buses, especially express buses, on Good Friday? I think I recall significantly decreased service last year on Good Friday, which they gave very little notice about. 

I don't recall personally but first they do the reduced changes unofficially and then they do them officially so I would give myself extra time.

22 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Will there be a reduced schedule for the buses, especially express buses, on Good Friday? I think I recall significantly decreased service last year on Good Friday, which they gave very little notice about. 

SI and MTA Bus will be operating on the school closed schedule, which is the regular weekday schedule without all the "supplemental service" trips. This shouldn't affect your commute. The rest of the NYCT buses will run on a reduced weekday schedule. 

12 minutes ago, Q43LTD said:

Ok, who petitioned to have a LTD stop on Central and Virginia for the Q113?

I don't know. I've heard lots of complaints about the Q113/114 having large gaps in service ever since the MTA made both routes became Limited. It's getting to the point that people are using the n31/32 to 5 Corners and taking the n4 for service to Jamaica.

2 hours ago, NY1635 said:

I don't know. I've heard lots of complaints about the Q113/114 having large gaps in service ever since the MTA made both routes became Limited. It's getting to the point that people are using the n31/32 to 5 Corners and taking the n4 for service to Jamaica.

Define large gaps. That was a nice express run on 878 and the Turnpike. 

Edited by Q43LTD

1 hour ago, Q43LTD said:

Define large gaps. That was a nice express run on 878 and the Turnpike. 

The 113/114 arriving at either Jamaica or Far Rockaway in bunches and leaving in bunches with the next bus roughly 8 miles away levels of service gaps. I don't know if Dollar Vans are still operating on 147th and Far Rock because I don't live in the area anymore, but I've been hearing that ridership on the Q111 has grown over the years because the MTA hasn't tampered with the route. They turned the 113 into a Limited Only route and called the old 113 locals the 114.

Edited by NY1635

Why would #2517 be at the Academy bus facility in Secaucus for? There was another one of our prevost's there also, but that one was inside one of the garages & I couldn't make out the bus number.... I also saw one of those Port Authority JFK shuttle buses (the ones w/ the blue & skyblue color scheme on the lower portion of the bus)....

25 minutes ago, B35 via Church said:

Why would #2517 be at the Academy bus facility in Secaucus for? There was another one of our prevost's there also, but that one was inside one of the garages & I couldn't make out the bus number.... I also saw one of those Port Authority JFK shuttle buses (the ones w/ the blue & skyblue color scheme on the lower portion of the bus)....

Most likely warranty work. Sometimes you also see MTA buses at the Cummins shop right next to the Turnpike in NJ.

Edited by trainfan22

7 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

Every 20 mins.  Yikes. 

The Bronx has had a reduced schedule today too. image.pngOn a normal Friday the Bx32 would be every 10 minutes at that time.

Its been basically a Saturday/Sunday schedule. They blew it this year because today was a getaway day for most people (normally Good Friday isn’t so and they completely overlooked Passover-those folks needed to be home by sundown) and as a result most routes are running even shittier than usual with artificially high ridership and non-artificially increased traffic.

Edited by paulrivera

13 minutes ago, paulrivera said:

The Bronx has had a reduced schedule today too. image.pngOn a normal Friday the Bx32 would be every 10 minutes at that time.

Its been basically a Saturday/Sunday schedule. They blew it this year because today was a getaway day for most people (normally Good Friday isn’t so and they completely overlooked Passover-those folks needed to be home by sundown) and as a result most routes are running even shittier than usual with artificially high ridership and non-artificially increased traffic.

What schedule is the Bx12 +SBS running on today? Today didn't seem so bad at least compared to typical Bx12 +SBS standards. I'm not going to be happy when the kiddos are back to school and Bx12 local service has been cut once again. 

5 hours ago, B35 via Church said:

There's a Prevost/Nova service center located on the property. Academy leases the space to them. Also, Academy operates the shuttle at Newark Airport and houses the buses there as well.

Good times almost backing 1326 into the trailer there, lmaoo.

22 hours ago, NY1635 said:

The 113/114 arriving at either Jamaica or Far Rockaway in bunches and leaving in bunches with the next bus roughly 8 miles away levels of service gaps. I don't know if Dollar Vans are still operating on 147th and Far Rock because I don't live in the area anymore, but I've been hearing that ridership on the Q111 has grown over the years because the MTA hasn't tampered with the route. They turned the 113 into a Limited Only route and called the old 113 locals the 114.

When I still lived in Jamaica, some dollar vans went down 147, some went down Rockaway Turnpike. The (MTA) has tampered with the Q111. No more short turns to/from 137. Farmers is now the dominant short turn. I know about the Q113/114. 

The B41 extension to Sheapshead Bay is already a bad idea. The ratio of buses terminating at Knapp Street to buses ending at Kings Plaza are way off. I needed to get to Flatbush and Avenue U and I had to wait while ten Knapp Street bound buses passed before one to KP showed up. 

And the trips to Knapp Street are out of Jackie Gleason depot...