BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone think there should be a reduced weekday schedule for the express bus. A whole bunch of them were empty (the QM15 I took in, and the QM24 I took outbound had the same amount of people on, 3, as a comparison).

I mean, some of these buses were sent straight to Queens without haven't picked up anyone. So many were taking the SX routing, while others were bunching all over the place. 

Not the first time buses ran this empty. 

This can also apply to several local bus routes. The Q25 and Q65, and SI local bus routes already have them, so it could work out for certain local bus routes as well (not all of them would have it though).

Does anyone think there should be a reduced weekday schedule for the express bus. A whole bunch of them were empty (the QM15 I took in, and the QM24 I took outbound had the same amount of people on, 3, as a comparison).

I mean, some of these buses were sent straight to Queens without haven't picked up anyone. So many were taking the SX routing, while others were bunching all over the place. 

This can also apply to several local bus routes. The Q25 and Q65, and SI local bus routes already have them, so it could work out for certain local bus routes as well (not all of them would have it though).

Dude you seriously need to get a grip.  Ridership fluctuates and people need service.  The overall consensus from the public is that the (MTA) continues to raise fares and that we should be getting MORE in return, not less, and I agree.  For what it's worth, plenty of people have to work on Black Friday and the day before Thanksgiving, and this continues to grow as more businesses open.  My office was closed Friday, but I needed to go in to take care of an emergency for an international client.

The QM4 has several weekday and weekend trips that don't have a single person on the bus at all. IMO these routes that carry nobody or no more than 4 people shouldn't run at all. In the case of the QM4 the Q64 is very frequent and because of that many people hop on the Q64 instead. For local routes the only reason why major routes like the Q25 or Q65 may have some empty buses is because they bunch like crazy and these happen to be the buses that come a minute or two after the few buses that bunched. IMO College Point and Jamaica are very bad when it comes to actually getting some of their routes to come on time. Today for example bustime showed a huge gap between the Q25 buses. One was at 78th road and the next one to come was at Main Street Northern so yeah of course there was 5 buses bunched and some of them ran empty to Jamaica while the first two are crushed and the 3rd Q25 and that 1 Q34 in the crowd were picking up a few people.

Dude you seriously need to get a grip.  Ridership fluctuates and people need service.  The overall consensus from the public is that the (MTA) continues to raise fares and that we should be getting MORE in return, not less, and I agree.  For what it's worth, plenty of people have to work on Black Friday and the day before Thanksgiving, and this continues to grow as more businesses open.  My office was closed Friday, but I needed to go in to take care of an emergency for an international client.

I'm not saying to reduce service to like 2bph at most, but a slight decrease in service of what is currently given. Yes, I know people work and everything, but the loads aren't as high as a typical weekday. And it would only be implemented on several days of the year, not all. This would mainly be just a small reduction of outbound/inbound service during the respective rush hour periods on the express, and slightly less service on local routes that have a significant difference in ridership. Like I said, not every bus route would have that type of schedule.

The QM4 has several weekday and weekend trips that don't have a single person on the bus at all. IMO these routes that carry nobody or no more than 4 people shouldn't run at all. In the case of the QM4 the Q64 is very frequent and because of that many people hop on the Q64 instead. For local routes the only reason why major routes like the Q25 or Q65 may have some empty buses is because they bunch like crazy and these happen to be the buses that come a minute or two after the few buses that bunched. IMO College Point and Jamaica are very bad when it comes to actually getting some of their routes to come on time. Today for example bustime showed a huge gap between the Q25 buses. One was at 78th road and the next one to come was at Main Street Northern so yeah of course there was 5 buses bunched and some of them ran empty to Jamaica while the first two are crushed and the 3rd Q25 and that 1 Q34 in the crowd were picking up a few people.

Have you ever used the QM4 to actually comment on whether some trips carry or not?  For what it's worth, there are quite a few express buses that can fill up and empty out quickly and if you saw them at certain points in their trip you would think that they didn't carry anyone. Furthermore ridership fluctuates.  That's why the (MTA) provides average ridership totals.  You can't just cut service because of that because if service levels were based solely on how ridership fluctuates you could have situations where buses, subways and the like were overcrowded unnecessarily.  It is also extremely discriminatory to call for service cuts to areas that are difficult to reach or have limited subway access.  The reason that the city subsidizes (MTA) Bus is because the city understands that EVERYONE who lives in New York City should have reasonable transportation options.  Cutting the QM4 would force residents who rely on that bus to endure longer commutes and numerous transfers and also higher transportation expenses solely because they live in an area that doesn't have subway access, and it's not as if the (MTA) would improve local bus service.  Neighborhoods that lack subway service are generally not as desirable as those with subway service, so the express bus helps to keep these areas desirable in terms of people wanting to move there.  If commuting is too much of a hassle, fewer people will want to live there, and that certainly does affect communities overall.  My area for example is seen as difficult to reach and isolated because there is no subway, and even with three express buses and Metro-North people call the commute a schlepp.  This in turn makes prices slightly lower here because of the perceived transportation "woes".  Any time that they have cut express bus service, the local bus service that communities received were generally worse, so that even if they increase headways, there is no guarantee that customers will benefit from those improvements, especially if those buses consistently come late or are no-shows.

I'm not saying to reduce service to like 2bph at most, but a slight decrease in service of what is currently given. Yes, I know people work and everything, but the loads aren't as high as a typical weekday. And it would only be implemented on several days of the year, not all. This would mainly be just a small reduction of outbound/inbound service during the respective rush hour periods on the express, and slightly less service on local routes that have a significant difference in ridership. Like I said, not every bus route would have that type of schedule.

That's precisely the point.  People have places to go, and they are traveling at all hours which includes holidays, etc., and aside from that there is no way of knowing which buses will carry and which buses won't since people tend to change their commuting patterns during those periods.  Just because you were on buses that didn't carry that well that doesn't mean that service should automatically be reduced.  I honestly don't understand this obsession with constantly calling for service cuts to bus service (not just express bus, but local buses as well).  Bus service in the city is VITAL to thousands of commuters, especially given the fact that the majority of New Yorkers DON'T own a car.  it seems as if some folks have a hard time understanding that for some reason.  

For someone like yourself who complains about how poorly the Q38 runs and what a schlepp it is to reach the subway from your neighborhood, it's rather baffling that you call for more express bus cuts when you benefit from them overall, as they provide a faster commute.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

1. Have you ever used the QM4 to actually comment on whether some trips carry or not?  For what it's worth, there are quite a few express buses that can fill up and empty out quickly and if you saw them at certain points in their trip you would think that they didn't carry anyone. Furthermore ridership fluctuates.  That's why the (MTA) provides average ridership totals.  You can't just cut service because of that because if service levels were based solely on how ridership fluctuates you could have situations where buses, subways and the like were overcrowded unnecessarily.  It is also extremely discriminatory to call for service cuts to areas that are difficult to reach or have limited subway access.  The reason that the city subsidizes (MTA) Bus is because the city understands that EVERYONE who lives in New York City should have reasonable transportation options.  Cutting the QM4 would force residents who rely on that bus to endure longer commutes and numerous transfers and also higher transportation expenses solely because they live in an area that doesn't have subway access, and it's not as if the (MTA) would improve local bus service.  Neighborhoods that lack subway service are generally not as desirable as those with subway service, so the express bus helps to keep these areas desirable in terms of people wanting to move there.  If commuting is too much of a hassle, fewer people will want to live there, and that certainly does affect communities overall.  My area for example is seen as difficult to reach and isolated because there is no subway, and even with three express buses and Metro-North people call the commute a schlepp.  This in turn makes prices slightly lower here because of the perceived transportation "woes".  Any time that they have cut express bus service, the local bus service that communities received are generally worse, so that even if they increase headways, there is no guarantee that customers will benefit from those improvements, especially if those buses consistently come late or are no-shows.

2.That's precisely the point.  People have places to go, and they are traveling at all hours which includes holidays, etc., and aside from that there is no way of knowing which buses will carry and which buses won't since people tend to change their commuting patterns during those periods.  Just because you were on buses that didn't carry that well that doesn't mean that service should automatically be reduced.  I honestly don't understand this obsession with constantly calling for service cuts to bus service (not just express bus, but local buses as well).  Bus service in the city is VITAL to thousands of commuters, especially given the fact that the majority of New Yorkers DON'T own a car.  it seems as if some folks have a hard time understanding that for some reason.  

1. Just in general as a statement, you have a point that ridership fluctuates, but just saying, those buses to Midtown at night are extremely low in ridership or have virtually no ridership (after it's last pick-up). However, most of them run back to Manhattan because they do an outbound trip before going back to their depot, so that's understandable (might as well run in service to pick up anyone).

2. I understand what you're saying with the fluctuation statement. However, I would think that after quite some time, the MTA would see in general, how buses do.

Like I said (this goes specifically for Queens express buses), buses were sent back to Queens, without picking up riders, which essentially halves the service in the worst case scenario. I don't think sending buses back to Queens like that is productive, and people who end up wanting such buses have to wait significantly longer. If there was a schedule in place during these time periods (where travel is also longer, due to people all over the place shopping, or traveling to/from places), maybe it could account for extra time allotted into the schedules (because some of the QM's are unreliable as is to/from the city, since the buses going to the city are behind, and their outbound trips as well). So the any cuts would be negated would equal to an increase in time from terminal to terminal, which in some cases, would mean an extra driver on the road. Although there would be slightly less service, the service would be more reliable, given any time added or taken away is addressed, which is what I saw was a major problem too (reliability).

Now for the local buses, there are routes with reduced weekday service. Staten island (as a whole) is a major example, and the Q25/65 in Queens. The Q25 carries a lot of people throughout the typical weekday. However, LTD service doesn't run, essentially halving the Q25 service (although, the Q34's get more packed). I don't agree with having a reduced schedule like that, but you can't deny that many people are off from work and spending time with their families, meaning buses are not to the full capacity. Once again, service would not be reduced so much to the point where it's unbearable. I've seen that throughout the system all day on Friday. Certain routes would not see service changed (routes like the Q53,which are pretty self explanatory).

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Have you ever used the QM4 to actually comment on whether some trips carry or not? For what it's worth, there are quite a few express buses that can fill up and empty out quickly and if you saw them at certain points in their trip you would think that they didn't carry anyone. Furthermore ridership fluctuates. That's why the (MTA) provides average ridership totals. You can't just cut service because of that because if service levels were based solely on how ridership fluctuates you could have situations where buses, subways and the like were overcrowded unnecessarily. It is also extremely discriminatory to call for service cuts to areas that are difficult to reach or have limited subway access. The reason that the city subsidizes (MTA) Bus is because the city understands that EVERYONE who lives in New York City should have reasonable transportation options. Cutting the QM4 would force residents who rely on that bus to endure long commutes and numerous transfers and also higher transportation expenses solely because they live in an area that doesn't have subway access, and it's not as if the (MTA) would improve local bus service. Neighborhoods that lack subway service are generally not as desirable as those with subway service

No I haven't actually taken the QM4 but I've took the Q64 hundreds of times. The Q64, Q25, Q34 and the QM4 have been my home routes for the last 12 years so I should know the usage of these routes. There are times when the QM4 can go straight to Midtown without picking up on person.

Have you ever used the QM4 to actually comment on whether some trips carry or not? For what it's worth, there are quite a few express buses that can fill up and empty out quickly and if you saw them at certain points in their trip you would think that they didn't carry anyone. Furthermore ridership fluctuates. That's why the (MTA) provides average ridership totals. You can't just cut service because of that because if service levels were based solely on how ridership fluctuates you could have situations where buses, subways and the like were overcrowded unnecessarily. It is also extremely discriminatory to call for service cuts to areas that are difficult to reach or have limited subway access. The reason that the city subsidizes (MTA) Bus is because the city understands that EVERYONE who lives in New York City should have reasonable transportation options. Cutting the QM4 would force residents who rely on that bus to endure longer commutes and numerous transfers and also higher transportation expenses solely because they live in an area that doesn't have subway access, and it's not as if the (MTA) would improve local bus service. Neighborhoods that lack subway service are generally not as desirable as those with subway service, so the express bus helps to keep these areas desirable in terms of people wanting to move there. If commuting is too much of a hassle, fewer people will want to live there, and that certainly does affect communities overall. My area for example is seen as difficult to reach and isolated because there is no subway, and even with three express buses and Metro-North people call the commute a schlepp. This in turn makes prices slightly lower here because of the perceived transportation "woes". Any time that they have cut express bus service, the local bus service that communities received were generally worse, so that even if they increase headways, there is no guarantee that customers will benefit from those improvements, especially if those buses consistently come late or are no-shows.

That's precisely the point. People have places to go, and they are traveling at all hours which includes holidays, etc., and aside from that there is no way of knowing which buses will carry and which buses won't since people tend to change their commuting patterns during those periods. Just because you were on buses that didn't carry that well that doesn't mean that service should automatically be reduced. I honestly don't understand this obsession with constantly calling for service cuts to bus service (not just express bus, but local buses as well). Bus service in the city is VITAL to thousands of commuters, especially given the fact that the majority of New Yorkers DON'T own a car. it seems as if some folks have a hard time understanding that for some reason.

For someone like yourself who complains about how poorly the Q38 runs and what a schlepp it is to reach the subway from your neighborhood, it's rather baffling that you call for more express bus cuts when you benefit from them overall, as they provide a faster commute.

The REASON and only reason MTAB gets city money is because the city subsidized the PBLs and the MTA would not have done the takeover without the city paying for it.

Delays  Posted: 12/01/2014  8:16PM 

Q12, Q13, Q15, Q16, Q17, Q20A, Q20B, Q25, Q26, Q27, Q28, Q34,Q44, Q50, Q65 and Q66 buses are running with delays in both directions due to heavy traffic on Main St and Roosevelt Av.

Allow additional travel time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happens everyday though....

Delays  Posted: 12/01/2014  8:16PM 

Q12, Q13, Q15, Q16, Q17, Q20A, Q20B, Q25, Q26, Q27, Q28, Q34,Q44, Q50, Q65 and Q66 buses are running with delays in both directions due to heavy traffic on Main St and Roosevelt Av.

Allow additional travel time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happens everyday though....

Like saying the M42 gets delayed due to heavy traffic in Times Square.....

"Since the transition of service, MTA Bus has incrementally improved service on the BM1 in a number of ways. Firstly,  high capacity buses, designed exclusively for express bus operations were intrduced to the routes; secondly, the span of service was incrementally increased and service frequency incrementally improved"

Anyone sees what's wrong with that picture

http://bergenbeachcommunity.com/Transportation.html

The REASON and only reason MTAB gets city money is because the city subsidized the PBLs and the MTA would not have done the takeover without the city paying for it.

You're talking about one thing and I'm talking about another.  The goal of the city has ALWAYS been to eliminate two-fare zones in areas NOT served by the subway to provide ALL communities with affordable and accessible transportation.  Riverdale was one of the first communities in the entire city that started running its own private express bus service.  Then other communities around the city that faced two-fare zones each way wanted express bus service as well, arguing that they faced two fare zones and higher expenses than communities with subways.

"I am delighted that two-fare zones have finally come to the end of the line, thanks in no small part to Mayor Giuliani's leadership in implementing the 'One City, One Fare' program," Deputy Mayor Rudy Washington said. "As a lifelong New Yorker, I understand the financial hardship imposed on people who are now paying four fares daily on the buses and subways in order to get to and from work. Since becoming a member on the MTA Board, I have focused on the elimination of two-fare zones, which has been so inequitable and detrimental for so many communities in the City."

Source: http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&wcproxyurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.nyc.gov%252Fhtml%252Fom%252Fhtml%252F97%252Fsp391-97.html&beanID=1173395690&viewID=proxy_view_secondary

Yes the city wanted the (MTA) to take over, but that has NOTHING to do with what the city had been wanting to establish prior to the (MTA) taking over the private lines. 

No I haven't actually taken the QM4 but I've took the Q64 hundreds of times. The Q64, Q25, Q34 and the QM4 have been my home routes for the last 12 years so I should know the usage of these routes. There are times when the QM4 can go straight to Midtown without picking up on person.

I don't see how you would know that without actually being on the bus. Some buses can have their lights out so you wouldn't know if people were riding or not.

1. Just in general as a statement, you have a point that ridership fluctuates, but just saying, those buses to Midtown at night are extremely low in ridership or have virtually no ridership (after it's last pick-up). However, most of them run back to Manhattan because they do an outbound trip before going back to their depot, so that's understandable (might as well run in service to pick up anyone).

2. I understand what you're saying with the fluctuation statement. However, I would think that after quite some time, the MTA would see in general, how buses do.

Like I said (this goes specifically for Queens express buses), buses were sent back to Queens, without picking up riders, which essentially halves the service in the worst case scenario. I don't think sending buses back to Queens like that is productive, and people who end up wanting such buses have to wait significantly longer. If there was a schedule in place during these time periods (where travel is also longer, due to people all over the place shopping, or traveling to/from places), maybe it could account for extra time allotted into the schedules (because some of the QM's are unreliable as is to/from the city, since the buses going to the city are behind, and their outbound trips as well). So the any cuts would be negated would equal to an increase in time from terminal to terminal, which in some cases, would mean an extra driver on the road. Although there would be slightly less service, the service would be more reliable, given any time added or taken away is addressed, which is what I saw was a major problem too (reliability).

Now for the local buses, there are routes with reduced weekday service. Staten island (as a whole) is a major example, and the Q25/65 in Queens. The Q25 carries a lot of people throughout the typical weekday. However, LTD service doesn't run, essentially halving the Q25 service (although, the Q34's get more packed). I don't agree with having a reduced schedule like that, but you can't deny that many people are off from work and spending time with their families, meaning buses are not to the full capacity. Once again, service would not be reduced so much to the point where it's unbearable. I've seen that throughout the system all day on Friday. Certain routes would not see service changed (routes like the Q53,which are pretty self explanatory).

You already answered your argument.  The buses have to go into the city anyway, and based on averages they likely pick up some passengers at some point.   You also glanced right over the point that I made about people facing unnecessary long commutes having less express bus service.  What you fail to realize is the more you cut service, the fewer people are attracted to the service because it runs less frequently.  I have heard several people from my neighborhood state that they don't use the express buses here on Sundays because it  is only hourly and if that bus is missing for some reason, their commute just increased another hour, so it could very well take 3 hours one way to get home.  Communities without subways generally face longer commutes and limited service as it is.  The only thing that people on the outside look at is they see an empty bus which signifies nothing. They don't know what people in those communities deal with when the weather is bad or when there are problems with the service.  They have subways so at the most maybe they have to wait any 20 - 30 minutes.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

You're talking about one thing and I'm talking about another.  The goal of the city has ALWAYS been to eliminate two-fare zones in areas NOT served by the subway to provide ALL communities with affordable and accessible transportation.  Riverdale was one of the first communities in the entire city that started running its own private express bus service.  Then other communities around the city that faced two-fare zones each way wanted express bus service as well, arguing that they faced two fare zones and higher expenses than communities with subways.

Source: http://www.nyc.gov/portal/site/nycgov/index.jsp?epi-content=GENERIC&wcproxyurl=http%253A%252F%252Fwww.nyc.gov%252Fhtml%252Fom%252Fhtml%252F97%252Fsp391-97.html&beanID=1173395690&viewID=proxy_view_secondary

Yes the city wanted the (MTA) to take over, but that has NOTHING to do with what the city had been wanting to establish prior to the (MTA) taking over the private lines. 

I don't see how you would know that without actually being on the bus. Some buses can have their lights out so you wouldn't know if people were riding or not.

You already answered your argument.  The buses have to go into the city anyway, and based on averages they likely pick up some passengers at some point.   You also glanced right over the point that I made about people facing unnecessary long commutes having less express bus service.  What you fail to realize is the more you cut service, the fewer people are attracted to the service because it runs less frequently.  I have heard several people from my neighborhood state that they don't use the express buses here on Sundays because it  is only hourly and if that bus is missing for some reason, their commute just increased another hour, so it could very well take 3 hours one way to get home.  Communities without subways generally face longer commutes and limited service as it is.  The only thing that people on the outside look at is they see an empty bus which signifies nothing. They don't know what people in those communities deal with when the weather is bad or when there are problems with the service.  They have subways so at the most maybe they have to wait any 20 - 30 minutes.

I understand that part about cutting service. Reliability is also a major reason why ridership isn't higher as well. I mean, look at the Q38 (well, it's done good until the bus decided to not show up last monday). Service was horrible, completely horrible. You had to pick your poison, either take the Q38 and wait forever, or walk the whole way (which sucked for the residents who lived smack halfway between Metropolitan (M) and Woodhaven (M)(R)). Now it's getting more reliable (hell, last year ridership went up by 882 riders, but some I believe came from the QM24, since the 24 used to be used by the middle-aged women, now slowly retiring, and can't afford the express. Now it's full with women in their 30's, especially the later runs from 6 Avenue. The 3 Avenue runs is where there are more of the elder women).

Now, let's take the QM15. Service to Manhattan used to run only up to 5 PM, then extended an hour further. However, ridership started dipping, because the buses were coming late. Buses not showing up, buses 40-50 minutes, even an hour late behind schedule. I have a feeling that there used to be more riders on those later trips, because the only riders I really see are the elder women, who generally would have a hard time with the subway. It's gone bonkers to the point where I don't take the QM15 after 4 PM to the city (4:49 PM going back home) on Saturdays. On weekdays, I could care less, since the BM5 runs until 11:00 PM. Everyone now tends to avoid the 5:00 PM bus on Saturdays, and why, because it's so unreliable to the point where you might as well take the subway home. I've been screwed over by that trip before, and I know it's not the drivers fault. It's come to the point where riders prefer the BM5 over the 15, especially along 34 street, and those riding to Forest Hills (Lindenwood riders won't switch over to the 5) and upper Woodhaven. The BM5 comes late, but not as late as the QM15. I mean, after 30 minutes, everyone is gonna give up on it (and for the people waiting at a QM15 ONLY stop, tough luck for them, they wasted the equivalent of the bus ride to the subway, or even more).

Anyways, the QM's have gong and are still continuing are also going on that trend, and that's going to be detrimental to the ridership itself. I do see the loads on the QM5/6 to the city at around 4 PM to 5 PM, they're not bad. However, late buses and all will kill the ridership. The fact that the QM5/6 each have that little 30 minute headway hiccup in the rush hour to Manhattan during the PM doesn't help either, because they'll all get delayed by the traffic coming out of the QMT into Manhattan.

You're making the point of having less bus service, but I'm talking about that same point, however, this is when scheduled service isn't ran, because of the inbound buses in the PM rush not being on time. On days like that, when ridership is not as high, I do think there a small decrease could be considered on SOME lines, but I feel that the reasoning is because of 

1. Traffic conditions from DH'ing buses from the depot(s)

2. Inbound buses being plagued by traffic along their main streets of operation.

If less service is being provided, but being more reliable, would it be slightly better than vice versa. Because I wouldn't want a half-assed deal (which is what literally happened). I don't want to be waiting 20 minutes for something that's supposed to take less than 10 minutes, 30 for <15, etc...

Not all buses exhibit this, or else reliability would be 0%, and it would then be more like a jitney service.