BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

I understand that part about cutting service. Reliability is also a major reason why ridership isn't higher as well. I mean, look at the Q38 (well, it's done good until the bus decided to not show up last monday). Service was horrible, completely horrible. You had to pick your poison, either take the Q38 and wait forever, or walk the whole way (which sucked for the residents who lived smack halfway between Metropolitan (M) and Woodhaven (M)(R)). Now it's getting more reliable (hell, last year ridership went up by 882 riders, but some I believe came from the QM24, since the 24 used to be used by the middle-aged women, now slowly retiring, and can't afford the express. Now it's full with women in their 30's, especially the later runs from 6 Avenue. The 3 Avenue runs is where there are more of the elder women).

Now, let's take the QM15. Service to Manhattan used to run only up to 5 PM, then extended an hour further. However, ridership started dipping, because the buses were coming late. Buses not showing up, buses 40-50 minutes, even an hour late behind schedule. I have a feeling that there used to be more riders on those later trips, because the only riders I really see are the elder women, who generally would have a hard time with the subway. It's gone bonkers to the point where I don't take the QM15 after 4 PM to the city (4:49 PM going back home) on Saturdays. On weekdays, I could care less, since the BM5 runs until 11:00 PM. Everyone now tends to avoid the 5:00 PM bus on Saturdays, and why, because it's so unreliable to the point where you might as well take the subway home. I've been screwed over by that trip before, and I know it's not the drivers fault. It's come to the point where riders prefer the BM5 over the 15, especially along 34 street, and those riding to Forest Hills (Lindenwood riders won't switch over to the 5) and upper Woodhaven. The BM5 comes late, but not as late as the QM15. I mean, after 30 minutes, everyone is gonna give up on it (and for the people waiting at a QM15 ONLY stop, tough luck for them, they wasted the equivalent of the bus ride to the subway, or even more).

Anyways, the QM's have gong and are still continuing are also going on that trend, and that's going to be detrimental to the ridership itself. I do see the loads on the QM5/6 to the city at around 4 PM to 5 PM, they're not bad. However, late buses and all will kill the ridership. The fact that the QM5/6 each have that little 30 minute headway hiccup in the rush hour to Manhattan during the PM doesn't help either, because they'll all get delayed by the traffic coming out of the QMT into Manhattan.

You're making the point of having less bus service, but I'm talking about that same point, however, this is when scheduled service isn't ran, because of the inbound buses in the PM rush not being on time. On days like that, when ridership is not as high, I do think there a small decrease could be considered on SOME lines, but I feel that the reasoning is because of 

1. Traffic conditions from DH'ing buses from the depot(s)

2. Inbound buses being plagued by traffic along their main streets of operation.

If less service is being provided, but being more reliable, would it be slightly better than vice versa. Because I wouldn't want a half-assed deal (which is what literally happened). I don't want to be waiting 20 minutes for something that's supposed to take less than 10 minutes, 30 for <15, etc...

Not all buses exhibit this, or else reliability would be 0%, and it would then be more like a jitney service.

For the most part most of the drivers I've had do their best to stay on time and arrive on time, but then again these are lines where riders are vocal.  Here we've had our problems but service improved in part because people made a stink and local leaders got involved and got on the (MTA) to improve service, and so you have a situation where the (MTA) knows that they can't screw over communities that will raise hell.  The ones that take it lying down... Well they get crap service.

• Replies 38.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Delays  Posted: 12/03/2014  7:54PM 

M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M7, M8, M9, M10, M11, M15, SBS15, M20, M21, M22, M23, M34, M34A, M42, M35, M50, M66, M72, M86, M96, M106, M98, M60, M14, M14A, M31, M100, M101, M102, M103, M104, Q32, X27, X28, X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X7, X8, X9, X10, X11, X12, X42, X14, X15, X17, X19, X22, X22A, X23, X24, X30, X31, QM1, QM2, QM2A, QM3, QM4, QM5, QM6, QM7, QM8, QM10, QM11, QM12, QM15, QM16, QM17, QM18, QM20, QM21, QM24, QM25, X63, X64, X68, BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4, BM5, BXM1, BXM2, BXM3, BXM4, BXM6, BXM7, BXM8, BXM9, BXM10, BXM11 and BXM18 buses are running with delays due to Public Demonstration in connection with the Eric Garner Case.

Allow additional travel time.

Delays  Posted: 12/03/2014  7:10PM 

M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M7, M8, M9, M10, M11, M14, M14A, M15, SBS15, M20, M21, M22, M23, M31, M34, M34A, M35, M42, M50, M60, M66, M72, M86, M96, M98, M100, M101, M102, M103, M104, M106, Q32, X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X7, X8, X9, X10, X11, X12, X14, X15, X17, X19, X22, X22A, X23, X24, X27, X28, X30, X31, X42, X63, X64, X68, QM1, QM2, QM2A, QM3, QM4, QM5, QM6, QM7, QM8, QM10, QM11, QM12, QM15, QM16, QM17, QM18, QM20, QM21, QM24, QM25, BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4, BM5, BXM1, BXM2, BXM3, BXM4, BXM6, BXM7, BXM8, BXM9, BXM10, BXM11, and BXM18 buses are running with delays in both directions, due to heavy traffic in Manhattan.

Service Change  Posted: 12/03/2014  7:10PM 

BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4 and BM5 buses are detoured due to the Rockefeller Tree Lighting Ceremony on 6 Av.

Detour is as follows:

Eastbound (Brooklyn Bound): Via E 57 St, left on Lexington Av, right on 42 St, left on 5 Av and regular route.

Corresponding stops will be made on Lexington Av and 42 St while on detour.

-----------------------

Again, anyone proofreads beforehand?

For the most part most of the drivers I've had do their best to stay on time and arrive on time, but then again these are lines where riders are vocal.  Here we've had our problems but service improved in part because people made a stink and local leaders got involved and got on the (MTA) to improve service, and so you have a situation where the (MTA) knows that they can't screw over communities that will raise hell.  The ones that take it lying down... Well they get crap service.

I think the most vocal area in Queens is without a doubt Bayside/ NE Queens. I don't know why the rest of Queens just does nothing in terms of showing their voice, and Astoria can also be fitted into that group too.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

The newer ones are the same size as the older ones. The sign being all the way up top just makes the bus look taller than what it is

Right, and 0055 tested out on the M66 when it was out of 126. These new units should be able to clear that tunnel just as fine.

The newer ones are the same size as the older ones. The sign being all the way up top just makes the bus look taller than what it is

Interesting, thought it was a few inches more.

But they aren't as high as 0055, which tested out of 126 on the M66.

That was a weird bus. I wonder when/if the MTA will change the protocol, as everybody knows OGs and NGs can fit--it just takes an aware driver, and as the signs at SF for C/Rs tell us, the MTA doesn't trust its workers too much.

No its all about traffic control. Traffic is very heavy in that area. It is a shame it can take buses like the Q25 and Q44 10 minutes to get from Northern Blvd to Kissena blvd due to the heavy traffic.

It was more about the church folks getting mad at the ops than the traffic control.

That makes no sense though lol. The Q19, Q50,and Q66 still stop over there. Somebody on here mentioned it was about the traffic and it does make sense.

That was in the PDFs. When the church bitched about the operators peeing on the property, thats when they decided to move things around.

The pissing was done on 38th Ave. The Q19,50 & 66 don't use 38th Ave. Pissing is now only allowed on 39th Ave.

Right, which the Q17/27 used, that's what we're talking about, not the Q19, 50 & 66.

----

Sidenote, 7092 has hit service.

Edited by Cait Sith

Today I had a B/O on the local Bx12 that got rear ended (more like a tap honestly, no one on the bus felt anything) and the B/O took the bus out of service. The driver of the car took quick pics and basically left the scene before anyone showed up.

Hopefully the driver of the car enjoys her insurance rates going up and I also hope the B/O enjoyed his drug test because I didn't enjoy all the school kids on the next bus, especially since the first bus was so (relatively) empty and quiet.

Today I had a B/O on the local Bx12 that got rear ended (more like a tap honestly, no one on the bus felt anything) and the B/O took the bus out of service. The driver of the car took quick pics and basically left the scene before anyone showed up.

Hopefully the driver of the car enjoys her insurance rates going up and I also hope the B/O enjoyed his drug test because I didn't enjoy all the school kids on the next bus, especially since the first bus was so (relatively) empty and quiet.

Why does a little bump take the bus out of service, I thought buses were made to be strong.

I think its more of a protocol thing. I am sure nothing happened to the bus, and I bet the B/O would've been able to continue his run and not report it. The thing is if there was a supervisor siting nearby or the mechanic noticed a dent or scratch on the bumper, the B/O would've been in deeper shit thatn just a drug test