BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

What is the point of having the M5 go from Washington HTS to South Ferry? The M5 is suffering the same way the M1 used to when it served South Ferry. I see that route bunched up in twos and three's often. I know traffic is a major problem in Manhattan and as a result they bunch up and come late. I think to help the M5 it should stop running to South Ferry and terminate in Greenwhich village like it used to. How many riders even use the M5 to South Ferry because the (1) and the (R) take you there much faster.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They should have worded the article differently. It makes it sound as if two new routes are being proposed when it's just a reroute that's needed.

Is there a new batch of buses coming in? A week ago, I was waiting for the Q25 at Holly Av, and saw an LFS with a weird, corrupted LED light. Must be a brand new bus, I assumed. Then, I saw what it really is. It was basically this weird bus, half LFS (front), half XD (back). Couldn't see the inside, just noticed that it had no back window, the back LED is placed at the top right corner, and back to back seats were removed.

Then, I saw 2 more yesterday.

Is there a new batch of buses coming in? A week ago, I was waiting for the Q25 at Holly Av, and saw an LFS with a weird, corrupted LED light. Must be a brand new bus, I assumed. Then, I saw what it really is. It was basically this weird bus, half LFS (front), half XD (back). Couldn't see the inside, just noticed that it had no back window, the back LED is placed at the top right corner, and back to back seats were removed.

You saw the new LFS's, it's been here for a few months now.

LOL... Queens gets all of the crappola local buses save CP... 

You saw the new LFS's, it's been here for a few months now.

I don't like how they made the LFS's back into an XD though...

My friend and I both really like the back window and the back to back seats, and that back window saved me many times when I thought a bus wasn't coming but then it caught up so I can transfer at the right spot.

Since when did the Q25 use LFS's? Is this a pilot fleet or are they getting delivered?

Or maybe it was 8091 and a few others?

He said he saw one while waiting for the Q25, he never specified that it was on the Q25.

However, since Jamaica has the only unit currently running around (8090), it would make sense that it was not on the Q25.

I said I was waiting for a Q25, and I saw a new LFS on the Q17.

He said he saw one while waiting for the Q25, he never specified that it was on the Q25.

However, since Jamaica has the only unit currently running around (8090), it would make sense that it was not on the Q25.

Oh sh!t, my mistake.

Like BM5 said, the only one running is 8090 at the moment.

The other buses should be arriving around spring time if Nova doesn't delay this order again.

Edited by MysteriousBtrain

...and mind you, this is on a sunday.

I've taken the Q39 either from Myrtle or Forest av (M) to Court Sq. more than I have from QBP or Court sq to Ridgewood.... The former ride is a great way to kill time.... The latter, if you don't get caught up on laurel hill, you can get to Met. av quicker than expected... anything south of Met. av (either direction) is always going to be a drag/lag.... But I've noticed that the ride towards QBP tends to take longer than the ride to Ridgewood.....

The other problem I have with buses b/w Court Sq. & QBP is that buses tend to be empty past Court Sq.... The next time I take the walk to the B32, I'm going to start paying more attention to just how many people (if any) are on those Q39's before the crowd that waits at 23rd/44th boards.... It's a reason I still think the Q39 should be cut back to Court. Sq.... It's not nearly as useful at QBP.... At this point, I believe it ending at QBP makes for nothing more than a convenient terminal/layover spot....

True that, buses extremely lag on Forest. The Q39 I came was about 4 minutes late (usual arrival time is at 3:06 PM; arriving at 3:16 PM at 61 Street/ Maspeth, which is where I was heading). I was only looking to ride it up to 61 Street/Flushing Avenue, but by the time we got there, it was about 3:25 PM. I was kinda hoping for that Q39 to be punctual, since I wanted to catch the 3:20 PM B57 outta Fresh Pond Road, but well that didn't happen. I didn't see Q58's for a while either, going towards Flushing, so that kinda made me rely on the Q39.

The 3,000 lights and the bus making every single stop, on top of that it was late really didn't help me. If that's how it goes down on a sunday, I can only imagine how weekday service is.

As for you last point, from what I have seen, it's either a hit or a miss, moreso during non peak periods. If push comes to shove, I would retain the section north during rush hours, but first, if ridership is severely lacking during late night hours, I would just eliminate service north during night hours, then reduce the weekend and weekday span. I wouldn't completely eliminate all service there, but it's like a 50% chance of getting a somewhat decent load. The peak buses, starting from around  2:30 PM do get okay usage though, to Ridgewood, and you have a few still going past Court Square in the morning. Off peak periods though I have seen what you've mentioned. As a comparison, an individual Q67 trip (which carries signifcantly less riders than the 39 on weekends) gets more ridership from there than the 39 in an hour (the ration of Q67 to Q39 buses is 1:2 respectively, howevertha fact that there are more boardings on the Q67 from Queens Plaza per hour than the Q39 during some periods of the weekends, is what I'm trying to say).  

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

Could've fooled me. Most of what I see out there is usually old, probably because a lot of the local buses are (MTA) Bus routes.

Let's go back then...

2015: New 40' Novas

2014: nothing

2013: New MCIs

2012: New 60' Novas, C40LFs

2011: New C40LFs, 40' Novas, XD40s (when new), Orion VII 3Gs (when new)

2010: New Orion VII NGs

2009: New Orion VII NGs

2008: nothing

2007: New Orion VII hybrids, MCIs

2006: New Orion VII hybrids, MCIs

2005: New MCIs

2004: New Orion VII hybrids

...save for 2008 and 2014, Queens got a piece of every new bus order that came in

Let's go back then...

2015: New 40' Novas

2014: nothing

2013: New MCIs

2012: New 60' Novas, C40LFs

2011: New C40LFs, 40' Novas, XD40s (when new), Orion VII 3Gs (when new)

2010: New Orion VII NGs

2009: New Orion VII NGs

2008: nothing

2007: New Orion VII hybrids, MCIs

2006: New Orion VII hybrids, MCIs

2005: New MCIs

2004: New Orion VII hybrids

...save for 2008 and 2014, Queens got a piece of every new bus order that came in

The MCI's are obvious.... I was talking about local buses.... Given how big Queens is and how many local buses run about the borough, the new buses they received were a drop in the bucket.  Most of the (MTA) Bus depots have some of the oldest buses around.  Did they get rid of these old Bee-Line buses yet that the (MTA) bought and use out in Queens?

The MCI's are obvious.... I was talking about local buses.... Given how big Queens is and how many local buses run about the borough, the new buses they received were a drop in the bucket. Most of the (MTA) Bus depots have some of the oldest buses around. Did they get rid of these old Bee-Line buses yet that the (MTA) bought and use out in Queens?

Ok minus the MCIs, that's still 8 out of the last 11 years. There's about 5 of them bee-line buses still running out of the original 84