BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just saw 6731 on the M60 SBS. Interesting they had a hybrid on the SBS and not a next gen instead......

They're one and the same....

the hybrids from MCH came from Tuskegee and 126 St but my guess is some at Tuskegee is used just for this pick 

You'd be wrong, they deadhead back to their depots.

2501 is now in service

Why yes, yes it is....

EbqYM0K.jpg

Edited by Cait Sith

My guess is because that part of Riverside Drive is very exclusive and wealthy. If you're living on Riverside Drive you're usually trying to show how wealthy you are and keep up appearances, which certainly does NOT include taking the M86.  :lol: Now don't get me wrong, you have the Madison Avenue types that use the local buses mainly because they want to appear to be amongst the common folks, but it's kind of like having a bus running on Park Avenue in the exclusive Upper East Side... Not happening.  My boss has a penthouse on the Upper East Side and takes the local bus along Madison and 5th, mainly to fit in and because parking would be too much of a hassle.

The M79 goes to Riverside Dr. Is that a less affluent area?

The M79 goes to Riverside Dr. Is that a less affluent area?

No... The M79 has an easy turnaround point and you also have the Boat Basin there so there's another market being served.  For the M86 (and M96 for that matter), it's just easier to not serve Riverside Dr. since it's residential, and a fairly short walk to Broadway.  The market is really the (1) train station and Broadway.  That's like having local bus service serve Fieldston.... Would never happen... In my neighborhood, the more quiet, the better, and I imagine the folks on Riverside Dr. feel the same way.

I think this sums it up best:

ON a recent Saturday, Paul Zweban, a restaurateur, stepped out of his apartment building at Riverside Drive and West 91st Street, with Rosemary, his springer spaniel. They were on their way to Riverside Park. ''It is the quietest street I've lived on in New York,'' he said of Riverside Drive, where he has spent four years.

''There are no bars, no car alarms,'' Mr. Zweban said. ''I can take my dog to the park at 1 in the morning. It's really safe. If people like serenity, this is the place to be.''

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/01/realestate/if-you-re-thinking-living-riverside-drive-serene-setting-above-hudson.html

Finding a place that quiet in Manhattan which can be extremely LOUD adds to the "exclusivity" of it all.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

No... The M79 has an easy turnaround point and you also have the Boat Basin there so there's another market being served.  For the M86 (and M96 for that matter), it's just easier to not serve Riverside Dr. since it's residential, and a fairly short walk to Broadway.  The market is really the (1) train station and Broadway.  That's like having local bus service serve Fieldston.... Would never happen... In my neighborhood, the more quiet, the better, and I imagine the folks on Riverside Dr. feel the same way.

They're both the same distance between Riverside Drive & Broadway on the 86th Street & 79th Street routes and they're both residential. The main reason is because it would be impractical and West End Avenue offers an easier turnaround than Riverside Drive. Residents at one point wanted buses to end at Riverside Drive but the MTA responded with the problem involving the turnaround.

Edited by Cait Sith

They're both the same distance between Riverside Drive & Broadway on the 86th Street & 79th Street routes and they're both residential. The main reason is because it would be impractical and West End Avenue offers an easier turnaround than Riverside Drive. Residents at one point wanted buses to end at Riverside Drive but the MTA responded with the problem involving the turnaround.

Well yeah, that was the point I was making about it making sense not to even serve Riverside Dr. with the M86 and M96 but when you look at what several crosstown buses do on the East Side, you could make the argument that it's a lame excuse.

Well yeah, that was the point I was making about it making sense not to even serve Riverside Dr. with the M86 and M96 but when you look at what several crosstown buses do on the East Side, you could make the argument that it's a lame excuse.

Most of the East Side portions of Crosstown routes provides that adequate space for them to do the craziness they do....that part of Riverside Drive near the M86 is relatively narrow and always has a ton of cars parked along the drive. While those artics can make that turn to a degree, it'd have to be a very well timed and positioned turn. Vehicles block a portion of the drive that would require those artics to turn.

If that part of the drive was anything like 110th and up where the blocks are wider and has two lanes, then I'd agree, it would be a lame excuse. But seeing how narrow that part of the stretch is, it's understandable.

Most of the East Side portions of Crosstown routes provides that adequate space for them to do the craziness they do....that part of Riverside Drive near the M86 is relatively narrow and always has a ton of cars parked along the drive. While those artics can make that turn to a degree, it'd have to be a very well timed and positioned turn. Vehicles block a portion of the drive that would require those artics to turn.

If that part of the drive was anything like 110th and up where the blocks are wider and has two lanes, then I'd agree, it would be a lame excuse. But seeing how narrow that part of the stretch is, it's understandable.

I think if they really wanted to run service over to Riverside Drive, they would find a way to make it work, but I honestly don't see that much usage coming from Riverside Drive anyway so might as well keep it the way it is.  Short and sweet.

Are anymore Brooklyn and Queens Depots getting artics in the future besides BP? I can see artics being used on the B6, B15, B35 if it got moved, B41, B46, Q27, Q43 and Q46.

For now, it's just Flatbush (has them already), and Baisley Park. ENY is getting the artic modifications, and I would assume Jamaica will get them eventually when the new depot opens. Would be shortsighted to rebuild a depot from the ground up only for it to not be artic ready

With the amount of artics on the M35 now, Does anyone think MCH should strip some LFSAs from SBS service and turn them into normal LFSAs for the M35?

Isn't the M35 the bus with the crazy people that ride? If so they should keep old buses and just use on that line.  Those people are going to destroy all of the newer buses. 

I sometimes dont get why the M35 uses artics usually its out in weekday PM

and maybe thats how the M15 SBS is short on LFSAs

That's probably why MCH got more LFSAs, because of the M35.

I remember when the M35 used D60s almost all the time, before the M60 even started using artics. TBH, I would not be surprised if the M35 was converted into a full artic route again.

The (MTA) needs more new buses like NABI 40-LFW or NFI XN40.

You'll never see the NABI here for two reasons. One is that they were never up to the (MTA) 's standards, another is that New Flyer just took over NABI and intends to discontinue their lines once they finish all outstanding orders.

As for the XN40s, you might have to stay tuned, there is a 138-bus CNG order coming up to replace the Orion VIIs.

Edited by Xfer2Nowhere