BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

So it's been a while since I've heard about the M12. How is that route doing are people using or is it pretty much dead like all the other routes the MTA recently created excluding the Q52 and Q70?

I only see it when it is coming to the last stop by 57th street so I can't say, but I would only use it if it was coming.  It's probably going to be something like the M20.  Residents who need it, the elderly and disabled will use it, but others will only use it if it is coming, but I imagine it will be faster than the M20 given the streets that it uses.  There's a lot of bars in the Hells Kitchen area that it passes through, but I don't go over there (9th - 12Avenue) reguarly because it is transit starved IMO, but anytime I'm over there (i.e. went to a wine bar a few years ago that was pretty good), I just walk, whether I'm sober or not. lol  The (7) extension will help in terms of the transit perception in that area but it's still a schlepp overall.

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since this is "Random Thoughts," who decided to un-pin this thread on both bus and subway, as well as a couple others on the subway side? I know the "powers that be" will eventually see this and respond, but is there some official "dictate" that was put out we all could reference regarding these changes? There's less participation on the forums already because of the season, and if this Random Thoughts thread (both subway and bus) is going to be just like any other thread -- hot for the moment, then not so hot down the list -- you're just going to almost encourage less participation. And this thread, IMHO, should always be a "go-to" point on the main forum page because it is a sounding board or catch-all discussion place.

Just a "random thought."

I've been tinkering with the sticked threads in each forum to see how we can declutter the top of the topic listing. (As that is a concern for some members) I did these first few changes based on content, then activity. I kept the information threads stickied. Threads like this one that are always busy were unstickied, because they're going to stay at the top of the list (under the stickies) almost all the time. It was at the top when I made this reply. Other threads were unstickied for inactivity, as well. Not every thread can be stickied to the top, that does sway the activity as well.

This is not a definite formula that I'm going to apply to the entire forums. I may just reverse what I did and do it based on inactivity. If you have any ideas on how we should do it, shoot me a message, I'm always willing to try it out. Also, check this thread as well:

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/48150-member-feedback-suggestion-thread/

haha i hate riding the 44 so i ride the 20 but ask them cause they operate on pretty much the same line 

Sometimes I use the Q20 once I get off of the QM2 if I don't feel like walking.  There was one that I just missed which was new and of course came early.  I could've walked, but I said screw it. I had plenty of time before going back to the QM2, and I knew what I wanted to pick up (though I always wind up buying more than I plan on buying - the prices are just too good to pass up when compared to Whole Foods on some items) so I waited for the next bus, which was a Q76.  I had to hail the damn driver.  Finally she stops, realizing that I wasn't going to just let her go on by.  Then she goes, I'm only going a few more stops, to which I replied "I know" in a way that said, that's why you go all the way to the last stop in case people need it genius. <_<

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

Sometimes I use the Q20 once I get off of the QM2 if I don't feel like walking.  There was one that I just missed which was new and of course came early.  I could've walked, but I said screw it. I had plenty of time before going back to the QM2, and I knew what I wanted to pick up (though I always wind up buying more than I plan on buying - the prices are just too good to pass up when compared to Whole Foods on some items) so I waited for the next bus, which was a Q76.  I had to hail the damn driver.  Finally she stops, realizing that I wasn't going to just let her go on by.  Then she goes, I'm only going a few more stops, to which I replied "I know" in a way that said, that's why you go all the way to the last stop in case people need it genius. <_<

haha OMG so damn true that reminds me of the number of time 20 buses skip stop if they see a 44 bus at it I had to flag them down to stop and then i reported them 

haha OMG so damn true that reminds me of the number of time 20 buses skip stop if they see a 44 bus at it I had to flag them down to stop and then i reported them 

It seems to be a Queens thing. The only bus that stops for me regularly is the Q44, though I never need it.  I must say though the QM15 has been trouble free.  Have had no problems getting it so far.  They stop right in front of me, kneel the bus and all of that good stuff, while with the QM2, I usually have to go into the street to get them going towards Manhattan.  There is some serious discrimination in Queens in terms of what drivers do.  A lot of lines, the drivers only pull to the curb if there is an elderly woman.  I tend to let it slide since I don't have these drivers regularly, but I certainly don't let it slide on the Riverdale buses I use.  I find it disgusting quite frankly and it shouldn't be tolerated by the men. It's usually young men that are treated any old way by the drivers, who are usually men. 

for me express buses don't stop for me unless I stand in middle of the street and wave my arms, except SI of course. To them teens just don't ride express buses which is untrue in Queens (usually QM7/8) and SI 

lol... Now that I simply won't do. I've seen a few teens do it and they look beyond ridiculous.  I don't think I should have to hail a bus down and my facial expression usually lets them know that they had better stop or there will be hell to pay. The most you will get from me is my hand out with my Metrocard and that's that.  I'm very keen on noting the bus # and time so that I can report them immediately if I have problems. I have one jerk that I get on the BxM4 that likes to be a wise @ss and now he's been doing the BxM2 in the mornings. Rather than be confrontational with him, I just note the bus#, time, location, and direction of the bus, and report what happened, and each time he tries some crap I just keep reporting him, and I know he knows it's me, and I just look at him as if to say, keep ******* with me because every time you do I'm going to report you and if that doesn't work, I'm going to contact a higher up to deal with the problem.  You see even though I haven't worked for the (MTA) in years, I have an uncle that's still a B/O so I know how things work and what goes on behind the scenes. Aside from that I have quite a few buddies on the line that tell me what's going on at the depot so I know the ins and outs very well.

Thanks to bus time im good with noting that now. if im luck enough i can even get a run number from that little box. But express buses hold the record for most rude/lazy drvers

When I first moved to Riverdale, we had quite a few obnoxious drivers who either transferred or were canned, so there's about a handful of obnoxious ones left, and those are the ones I focus on trying to get rid of because they don't deserve to deal with the public.  Some of the drivers automatically are annoyed when they drive the BxM1, BxM2 or BxM18 because passengers file A LOT of complaints, but they're generally warranted, given the type of nonsense that I have personally witnessed. Really disgusting.  One guy slammed the door in the face of this chick that was getting on and kept going.  She managed to get back into the car she was in and had whoever drove her follow the bus down the hill and she got on at the next available stop.  The B/O didn't apologize or anything for his downright grotesque behavior. I was so irritated by the incident that I wrote in on him because what he did was just incredible.  Had another guy being obnoxious just because he thought he could get away with it and they eventually canned him too as I'm sure others along with myself started writing in on him.

Get enough complaints and at some point they'll have to dealt with.  I have to say that not all of them are terrible because of their rude and unprofessional behavior. There are some B/Os that just are really dense.  I mean I know that these guys have to be trained about safety and pulling to the curb ad nauseam, so why in the hell then do you have some guys that routinely stop practically in the middle of the street at every stop to pick up passengers, knowing how dangerous that is? We had a guy like that who annoyed the living daylights out of me and I got so fed-up with him doing the same nonsense (stopping practically in the middle of 6th Avenue to pick up passengers (I kid you not) when there were no cars in sight blocking him from pulling into the bus stop) that I started recording him when I knew he was in service and sending in videos with my complaints to show that I wasn't making anything up.  I haven't seen him in quite a while and I hope that he's been pulled from service, but he was totally operating in an unsafe manner, and guys like that have led to me literally almost getting run over by oncoming traffic trying to board the bus. 

Two Saturdays ago I had another one that I can't stand on the BxM2.  So this one, he practically closing the door on everyone that got off, and I reported him as soon as I got him.

wow that suck the only people that complain in queens are Qm2 riders

3 weeks ago i rode one of the BM lien forget which cause there were 3 at that stop and when he finalized realized i wanted to get on he opened the doors on the left side of the road. i actually almost got hit by a car, then he never payed attention that i was still on the bus at 57th st and went on to 58th st for layover. He was spared cause i was trying to get on a prevost on the X22 that day and I qould miss it if i tried to get his info

wow that suck the only people that complain in queens are Qm2 riders

3 weeks ago i rode one of the BM lien forget which cause there were 3 at that stop and when he finalized realized i wanted to get on he opened the doors on the left side of the road. i actually almost got hit by a car, then he never payed attention that i was still on the bus at 57th st and went on to 58th st for layover. He was spared cause i was trying to get on a prevost on the X22 that day and I qould miss it if i tried to get his info

Those part-timers out of Spring Creek are the worst.  I've been riding the BM1, BM3 and BM4 lines now for almost 10 years and it's become worse every year.  I had a similar experience with a BM3 over the summer with me almost being hit a yellow taxi trying to get the bus to stop.  Some guys play games and simply go off-route to avoid picking up passengers. This past summer, on what was likely the hottest day of the year, I get a guy who is parading around in service with no AC as if everything is eh okay. After letting him know how unsafe the situation was and how unbearable it was, I got off of his bus within 5 - 10 minutes and onto a BM1 behind him who I saw on BusTime.  On top of that he's yelling at the top of his lungs about various "encounters" he's had with women to put it mildly with some guy upfront who looked like he was just along for the ride, and I'm saying to myself, do I need to hear about your up close and personal business?  Incredibly unprofessional. I filed a complaint immediately after I switched buses. He was such an idiot that he remained in service for at least a few more runs even after he knew he had no AC.

Eh, can't complain about the SC drivers much. They're more on-time (well for me), which is good, because buses used to leave the terminal 30+ minutes late going back to Brooklyn and Queens during midday hours. They're still late, but the delay is mainly due to Manhattan traffic. Hopefully it remains like that, although I can't say the same thing for the BM1-4. They're just a mess all around. That's what happens when your depot is in a predominantly school bus union branch.

Eh, can't complain about the SC drivers much. They're more on-time (well for me), which is good, because buses used to leave the terminal 30+ minutes late going back to Brooklyn and Queens during midday hours. They're still late, but the delay is mainly due to Manhattan traffic. Hopefully it remains like that, although I can't say the same thing for the BM1-4. They're just a mess all around. That's what happens when your depot is in a predominantly school bus union branch.

I think the BM5 operates differently from the BM1, BM3 and BM4. The BM3 seems to the worst, esp. going to Brooklyn.

I think the BM5 operates differently from the BM1, BM3 and BM4. The BM3 seems to the worst, esp. going to Brooklyn.

The BM5 has plenty of trips that are interlines from the BM1-3, especially during the PM. There's some on Saturdays too, so if there are any significant delays, then those BM5 trips on the run will run late.

So I'm sitting down in NC a few nights ago and I decide to use Bus Time for the first time. It's about 3 am and I decide to see what Brooklyn bus service is at that time. I click on a few routes like the B6, B41, B15, etc. I clicked on the B12 and I thought I found a glitch in the app. I tried the B46 and the same thing happened. My question to you bus fans is this. Are those deviations in the Bus Time app maps for special service like school trippers? The B12 has one that appears to head toward the Wingate site while the B46 has one that heads eastward from the area around Flatbush depot. I looked at the schedules for both routes and I didn't notice anything about special service. I've also noticed that the BusTime app shows things like the N/B B41 runs to Empire Blvd which are also on the schedule. I can't find anything about the B12 or B46 diversions in their printed schedules. What am I doing wrong? Carry on.

Yes sir the deviations are for special service for school routes.I think it's very nice that they actually put those in.You should see how many B16,s terminate at 36th st,

Good info for anyone who wants to avoid a packed bus full of rugrats and pick one earlier/later if possible.

SMH ....... can't understand how any of you paying premium allow that level of lateness.  I understand the operators can only do what they can because of traffic conditions, but these routes are in no ways new, so MTA (and their grand wizards of transit knowledge) should have allowances built into the schedules.  On COTA's (Columbus, OH) version of express buses, they actually have it marked on the schedules "Beyond this point, buses may run up to 5 minutes early" when they're out of downtown core and expressways route segments (inbound/outbound both rushes, reverse commute included).

Couple that with the unprofessional dolts (as noted in previous posts) -- who can simply use the "traffic" excuse to continue their lazy approach to the job.

As to those idiots, they should be put onto local routes upon the first complaints filed against them.  I'm not saying that express bus riders require caviar and champagne treatment, but those routes should be looked upon by the operators as the street versions of the Metro North/LIRR trains -- not as a pricier local bus.  There should be a more competitive system for an operator to "graduate" to express bus routes, and that almost privilege could be very easily revoked if standards of service are not met.

Edited by DetSMART45

SMH ....... can't understand how any of you paying premium allow that level of lateness.  I understand the operators can only do what they can because of traffic conditions, but these routes are in no ways new, so MTA (and their grand wizards of transit knowledge) should have allowances built into the schedules.  On COTA's (Columbus, OH) version of express buses, they actually have it marked on the schedules "Beyond this point, buses may run up to 5 minutes early" when they're out of downtown core and expressways route segments (inbound/outbound both rushes, reverse commute included).

Couple that with the unprofessional dolts (as noted in previous posts) -- who can simply use the "traffic" excuse to continue their lazy approach to the job.

As to those idiots, they should be put onto local routes upon the first complaints filed against them.  I'm not saying that express bus riders require caviar and champagne treatment, but those routes should be looked upon by the operators as the street versions of the Metro North/LIRR trains -- not as a pricier local bus.  There should be a more competitive system for an operator to "graduate" to express bus routes, and that almost privilege could be very easily revoked if standards of service are not met.

There are some drivers that appreciate having express bus runs when they start out as the clientele tends to be better behaved overall.  That's one reason why there are no partitions on express buses.  Others can be a problem... The schedules are a problem because the (MTA) hasn't revised the run time on some lines in years (the BM lines are an example) and so with the new traffic speeds in place and the increased congestion, it can be tough in some cases to meet run times, but yes, you still have some that simply drag the line and run late on purpose.