BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

that more of a neighborhood/demographics problem. I usually travel with more responsible people I almost never get on a bus or train with ghetto kids unless i have no choice 

Also kids buying other expensive stuff and then refusing to pay the fare is a whole other topic about these spoiled ghetto kids that can't behave themselves

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two thoughts:

1. Middle school students kill buses way more than high school students. There has been those lonely few middle school kids on board a HS school tripper, and I happened to be on one of those trippers once. The middle school kids were sitting on the floor towards the back door, and were bangin on that thing. Whole ride, what I hear: "Please move away from the doors."

2. The Q44 SBS is coming along nicely. There was lots of work going on today, they were spraying the new road on Main Street and they were filling the sidewalks where they installed the machines with with cement. I think it's gonna make a good difference, because traffic, boarding times, and red lights (a little bit) are the reasons why the Q44 is so slow. I ride the Q44 often so this is coming from personal experience. Hopefully, the double parkers on Main Street will get tickets if they double park in the bus lane. 

Edited by R188 7857

The Q44 SBS is coming along nicely. There was lots of work going on today, they were spraying the new road on Main Street and they were filling the sidewalks where they installed the machines with with cement. I think it's gonna make a good difference, because traffic, boarding times, and red lights (a little bit) are the reasons why the Q44 is so slow. I ride the Q44 often so this is coming from personal experience. Hopefully, the double parkers on Main Street will get tickets if they double park in the bus lane. 

Already damn I can't wait to buy Q44 ticket and not use them on the Q44 lol cause I ride the Q20 lol

These kids are something else the first week of school they coming on the bus claiming they lost their metrocards. even if these kids love right next door to the school they still get an 1/2 fare metrocard yet they come on the bus don't even want to swipe that. That's why I don't blame operators for telling them to get off if they don't have fares.

I feel Garibaldi is horribly misguided when it comes to the schoolkid comments. First of all school choice is flat out better then sending everyone to their zoned school. Explain to me why Boston, Chicago and many other places have school choice for high schools if just sending students to the neighborhood school worked so well. Even in that case there aren't schools on every other block and some students may live far enough from their zoned school to feel compelled to take the train or bus. You also have specialized schools which offer some of the top academics in the country which means students from all over the city that make it in will commute to them. Should those schools have to foot the bill for their own transit service that would be a mess given the huge variance in origin points for the students? I feel the best idea is to have a system where schools buy regular metrocards in bulk and make students apply for the different card options at their school. They would get Pay-Per-Rides at a given amount (likely the max to reduce reapplications) for no fee but then students can buy weekly or monthly unlimited cards off their school at a discounted rate. Something like $20 for a weekly or $80 for a monthly.

I feel Garibaldi is horribly misguided when it comes to the schoolkid comments. First of all school choice is flat out better then sending everyone to their zoned school. Explain to me why Boston, Chicago and many other places have school choice for high schools if just sending students to the neighborhood school worked so well. Even in that case there aren't schools on every other block and some students may live far enough from their zoned school to feel compelled to take the train or bus. You also have specialized schools which offer some of the top academics in the country which means students from all over the city that make it in will commute to them. Should those schools have to foot the bill for their own transit service that would be a mess given the huge variance in origin points for the students? I feel the best idea is to have a system where schools buy regular metrocards in bulk and make students apply for the different card options at their school. They would get Pay-Per-Rides at a given amount (likely the max to reduce reapplications) for no fee but then students can buy weekly or monthly unlimited cards off their school at a discounted rate. Something like $20 for a weekly or $80 for a monthly.

I'm not misguided at all.  I'm a product of my zoned schools, both in junior high and high school, and while the high school wasn't the greatest, I did just fine taking mainly honors and AP courses that were challenging and allowed me to learn in classes where my peers had equal interests in their academics.  I don't have a problem with kids going to schools outside of their neighborhoods, but the notion that sending kids to schools in better neighborhoods doesn't necessarily equate to higher grades.  We had plenty of kids that came from crap areas to our schools, and even with the traveling from afar, that had NO influence on their academic standing.  They still walked the halls and did nothing to better themselves and wasted taxpayer resources in the process, and I do have a problem with those sorts of kids wasting Student Metrocards and taxpayer monies.  I strongly feel that the Student Metrocard system should be revamped, and I'm not sure that your proposal would work either.  What would stop those kids from abusing those cards the way that they currently abuse the Student Metrocards?

I'm not misguided at all.  I'm a product of my zoned schools, both in junior high and high school, and while the high school wasn't the greatest, I did just fine taking mainly honors and AP courses that were challenging and allowed me to learn in classes where my peers had equal interests in their academics.  I don't have a problem with kids going to schools outside of their neighborhoods, but the notion that sending kids to schools in better neighborhoods doesn't necessarily equate to higher grades.  We had plenty of kids that came from crap areas to our schools, and even with the traveling from afar, that had NO influence on their academic standing.  They still walked the halls and did nothing to better themselves and wasted taxpayer resources in the process, and I do have a problem with those sorts of kids wasting Student Metrocards and taxpayer monies.  I strongly feel that the Student Metrocard system should be revamped, and I'm not sure that your proposal would work either.  What would stop those kids from abusing those cards the way that they currently abuse the Student Metrocards?

To answer your question it wouldn't be any different from an adult farebeater abusing their card since the cards would be the same ones being used by regular commuters. The students would be buying their unlimited cards if they chose them so that reduces the likelihood of abuse plus if they reapply for a Pay Per Ride too early because they've been using their card for a whole host of leisure trips then they'll be forced to buy unlimiteds, have only 10 rides to use on the next PPR for the month or go without a card period. There's a huge difference between having to buy or request a Metrocard from the school versus getting handed 3 free trips every school day. I'm throwing the option to buy cards in there because many students are not as broke as we're led to believe and would pay for unlimited transportation if discounted.

Also I am glad that your zoned school experience was positive but a toxic culture exist within many of those schools that doesn't exist in specialized schools, charter schools and private schools to name a few. I wouldn't blame students for not wanting to go to many of the schools that were bad enough to need metal detectors. The students in them are at a level where a slightly above average student looks like the smartest kid on earth which sells that student short above all. The classes are dumbed down to the point where even a "challenging" AP class is less rigorous then nearly all the classes at a better school. Kids who want to learn and succeed at top colleges in the future shouldn't have to be put through that. That's why we have school choice which is not a waste of taxpayer money.

To answer your question it wouldn't be any different from an adult farebeater abusing their card since the cards would be the same ones being used by regular commuters. The students would be buying their unlimited cards if they chose them so that reduces the likelihood of abuse plus if they reapply for a Pay Per Ride too early because they've been using their card for a whole host of leisure trips then they'll be forced to buy unlimiteds, have only 10 rides to use on the next PPR for the month or go without a card period. There's a huge difference between having to buy or request a Metrocard from the school versus getting handed 3 free trips every school day. I'm throwing the option to buy cards in there because many students are not as broke as we're led to believe and would pay for unlimited transportation if discounted.

Also I am glad that your zoned school experience was positive but a toxic culture exist within many of those schools that doesn't exist in specialized schools, charter schools and private schools to name a few. I wouldn't blame students for not wanting to go to many of the schools that were bad enough to need metal detectors. The students in them are at a level where a slightly above average student looks like the smartest kid on earth which sells that student short above all. The classes are dumbed down to the point where even a "challenging" AP class is less rigorous then nearly all the classes at a better school. Kids who want to learn and succeed at top colleges in the future shouldn't have to be put through that. That's why we have school choice which is not a waste of taxpayer money.

Your plan isn't a bad one... I just think that the idea that all zoned schools are terrible does nothing to address the root of the problem, which is fixing those schools.  For the record, my high school had metal detectors and we actually had a shooting there shortly before I was set to attend.  My parents were worried, but ultimately everything worked out just fine.  I had teachers that cared and worked hard to ensure that we were provided with a good education, so I don't buy the idea that kids HAVE to be sent elsewhere to learn.  That still leads to a bunch of other kids that can't be sent elsewhere with a crappy experience, and as was stated before, those who don't want to learn won't, regardless of where they attend school.

Your plan isn't a bad one... I just think that the idea that all zoned schools are terrible does nothing to address the root of the problem, which is fixing those schools.  For the record, my high school had metal detectors and we actually had a shooting there shortly before I was set to attend.  My parents were worried, but ultimately everything worked out just fine.  I had teachers that cared and worked hard to ensure that we were provided with a good education, so I don't buy the idea that kids HAVE to be sent elsewhere to learn.  That still leads to a bunch of other kids that can't be sent elsewhere with a crappy experience, and as was stated before, those who don't want to learn won't, regardless of where they attend school.

One thing I can point out is alot of zoned schools may or may not have programs that the kids are interested in. Someone may have a Zoned HS for Art, but what if that student wants to be a doctor or engineer? It won't do them much good. 

One thing I can point out is alot of zoned schools may or may not have programs that the kids are interested in. Someone may have a Zoned HS for Art, but what if that student wants to be a doctor or engineer? It won't do them much good. 

I get all of that, but for those that just a basic education, they shouldn't have to be forced to go outside of their neighborhood to get that.  Oddly enough, every kid that I'm tutoring now is in a private Catholic school or a charter school.  The parents are too afraid to put their children in a public school, even kids that I tutor in Westchester.

Some more progress on the SBS Q44.

1. They already have the bus lanes outlined, however the words "BUS ONLY" are not quite there yet. Not sure if they are being painted red.

2. Machines are installed at the Main St/Kissena stop. 

1) lanes are being painted every day but has anyone seen the lay out yets? its insane the road keeps swerving left and right and the bus lanes haven't even been installed yet.

2) Expected start date November 15 however it is subject (Source: I talked to ab B/O on the Q20 today)

3) Q44 buses start wrapping the buses near the end of this week to the beginning of next week 

1) lanes are being painted every day but has anyone seen the lay out yets? its insane the road keeps swerving left and right and the bus lanes haven't even been installed yet.

2) Expected start date November 15 however it is subject (Source: I talked to ab B/O on the Q20 today)

3) Q44 buses start wrapping the buses near the end of this week to the beginning of next week 

Yeah, they had something online that showed the layout of the bus lanes. They swerve from the streets into the curbs then into the streets again. It's really unorganized IMO. All the curbside bus lanes are usually just at the intersections, they go back to offset ones after. All that for the sake of a turning lane. Today, there was a truck that was painting "BUS ONLY" as well.