BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember in 2008, I rode an artic on the M31 and in 2010 I rode an artic on the 116...was that because they were from 126 at the time?

Yessir. 

They used to run at least 2-3 artics during the rush hour. I kinda wish Quill would do the same, as it would really help with the crowds. They've done it once or twice.

You can get out at the 78 Av entrance and get the Q46 there. Or you can get it by the courthouse

Getting on by 78 Av mans one has to stay on the bus as it turns around on queens blvd.

It is often difficult to get on by the courthouse because the buses are often full, and skip the stop. 

side note... When did google catch Queens blvd to be this empty during the daytime???? Or did they craftily edit out all the vehicles or something.....

You can get out at the 78 Av entrance and get the Q46 there. Or you can get it by the courthouse

Routing-wise though?

Does anyone have any ideas how to make the union turnpike / queens blvd subway(E/F) to Q46 transfer better.

The current state of affairs requires buses to loop around on queens blvd which can take up to five minutes during rush hours. 

Sucks, but routing-wise, nothing - As you can't get from Union Tpke westbound to Queens Blvd southbound....

The current turnaround IMO is their only option (that doesn't have buses turning around further up QB, I mean)....

I remember using the Q46 and being let off on Queens Blvd eastbound only having to walk a few feet to the subway stop. Since when did buses do differently?

We are talking about going from subway to bus, to go eastbound on union blvd, without having to turn around on queens blvd

I remember using the Q46 and being let off on Queens Blvd eastbound only having to walk a few feet to the subway stop. Since when did buses do differently?

On the same side of the Q10 & the Q37?

When was this.....

Better yet, how?

Edited by B35 via Church

On the same side of the Q10 & the Q37?

When was this.....

Better yet, how?

I guess i'm mistaken here. The discussion seems to be about transferring from the subway to bus as opposed to bus to subway which I mentioned. I'm aware of the subway to bus transfer there and don't really find it problematic.

side note... When did google catch Queens blvd to be this empty during the daytime???? Or did they craftily edit out all the vehicles or something.....

Routing-wise though?

Sucks, but routing-wise, nothing - As you can't get from Union Tpke westbound to Queens Blvd southbound....

The current turnaround IMO is their only option (that doesn't have buses turning around further up QB, I mean)....

Remember when the old Q74 had it worse turning around on QB?

I guess i'm mistaken here. The discussion seems to be about transferring from the subway to bus as opposed to bus to subway which I mentioned. I'm aware of the subway to bus transfer there and don't really find it problematic.

Neither do I....

Although I do see his point (having had to commute from LIJ to QB... one that I grew to hate btw), I don't see what other option the MTA has, as far as turning the Q46 around....

Remember when the old Q74 had it worse turning around on QB?

Sure do!

Hell, when I made my first reply to this discussion, I was actually thinking about what the Q59 has to do to get back to Grand (QB service road westbound, 90th st, 56th av, QB main road westbound, left on grand)...

side note: Q59 westbound routing on bustime is wrong... Buses don't turn back onto the service road from 56th, to jump onto the main road at 55th, to turn on grand..... Nevermind depicting the westbound buses running on the QB main road eastbound :lol:

>> See Screenshot <<

Edited by B35 via Church

Neither do I....

Although I do see his point, I don't see what other option the MTA has, as far as turning the Q46 around....

Although there is nothing the MTA can do in order to fix the turnaround, they can have the first stop be after the turnaround, so that the bus can load there, without being full.

Although there is nothing the MTA can do in order to fix the turnaround, they can have the first stop be after the turnaround, so that the bus can load there, without being full.

Yeah, they could.... But quite honestly, I don't see a difference between already being on the bus waiting 5 mins. to turnaround to get back to Union Tpke & waiting at a bus stop for 5 additional minutes before being able to get on that bus.... I don't think those loads would quell because you change the location of the first pickup stop....

The issue stems from the turnaround itself.....

Yeah, they could.... But quite honestly, I don't see a difference between already being on the bus waiting 5 mins. to turnaround to get back to Union Tpke & waiting at a bus stop for 5 additional minutes before being able to get on that bus.... I don't think those loads would quell because you change the location of the first pickup stop....

The issue stems from the turnaround itself.....

If the first stop were after the turnaround you could get off the subway and transfer to a bus already on union tpke, which you would have missed had you needed to get on by Queens Blvd.

If the first stop were after the turnaround you could get off the subway and transfer to a bus already on union tpke, which you would have missed had you needed to get on by Queens Blvd.

You're making it sound like there isn't a subway entrance on the same side of the street that the Q46 terminates at....

You would be 100% right if that were the case.

It's starting to look like you have more of an issue with not having better dibs at a seat on the Q46, than the turnaround itself....

Edited by B35 via Church

You're making it sound like there isn't a subway entrance on the same side of the street that the Q46 terminates at....

You would be 100% right if that were the case.

It's starting to look like you have more of an issue with not having better dibs at a seat on the Q46, than the turnaround itself....

The problem is that buses are full after the turnaround and often don't stop by the courthouses.

The problem is that buses are full after the turnaround and often don't stop by the courthouses.

Let's nip this in the bud....

Are you suggesting that the current terminal (QB/78th) be a drop-off only stop for the Q46, or are you suggesting the QB/78th stop not be a stop at all?

Let's nip this in the bud....

Are you suggesting that the current terminal (QB/78th) be a drop-off only stop for the Q46, or are you suggesting the QB/78th stop not be a stop at all?

The stop at 78 and QB should be a drop-off only. The bus should then turn around on QB, and have the first stop on east-bound service be on union tpke. This would allow the buses to fill up already on UT, without passengers having to be on the bus as it turns around. There is already a stop on UT (by the courthouses), but buses often fill up at 78th and therefore dont stop there. Meaning in order for someone to fore sure be able to board, they must board at 78th and stay on the bus as it turns around on QB which often can take 5 or 10 minutes especially during PM rush-hour.

I apologize if I was unclear earlier.

I'd assume that you are talking about the over head view and not the street view, what google has been doing recently are waiting for the cars to clear before getting a shot which can end up having to stitch multiple picture together to get all the spots blank. I not always possible sometimes, so you end up with ghost cars and they don't even bother with parked cars.  

The stop at 78 and QB should be a drop-off only. The bus should then turn around on QB, and have the first stop on east-bound service be on union tpke. This would allow the buses to fill up already on UT, without passengers having to be on the bus as it turns around. There is already a stop on UT (by the courthouses), but buses often fill up at 78th and therefore dont stop there. Meaning in order for someone to fore sure be able to board, they must board at 78th and stay on the bus as it turns around on QB which often can take 5 or 10 minutes especially during PM rush-hour.

Then It really won't affect anything but require more walking for people riding the bus. It will still take the same amount of time to get out of QB and require everyone to wait by the highway which is also under construction. waiting by the court house is unpleasant, and I'd rather wait those extra 5 min for the bus to turn around. Most ppl riding the bus from the station during the problem time, are usually going home and care much more about getting a seat or spot than wait time. I find it impossible that no busses stop there during PM rush hour as Q46 is a popular buncher route which pretty much means at least one bus will be empty. 

bu

Then It really won't affect anything but require more walking for people riding the bus. It will still take the same amount of time to get out of QB and require everyone to wait by the highway which is also under construction. waiting by the court house is unpleasant, and I'd rather wait those extra 5 min for the bus to turn around. Most ppl riding the bus from the station during the problem time, are usually going home and care much more about getting a seat or spot than wait time. I find it impossible that no busses stop there during PM rush hour as Q46 is a popular buncher route which pretty much means at least one bus will be empty. 

For people wanting a seat, there are still the same amount of seats on a bus. And for people exhausted from a day of work, waiting five minutes on a often crowded bus going nowhere is very frustrating.

For people wanting a seat, there are still the same amount of seats on a bus. And for people exhausted from a day of work, waiting five minutes on a often crowded bus going nowhere is very frustrating.

Also, if that stop on Union Turnpike was the first stop, people would usually be waiting on the bus itself (or in line to board the bus). It's not like it's some random stop near a highway where you're hoping the bus comes along soon. It's the first stop of the route.

I would tend to agree with you, obviously as long as the signage were updated so that people knew that the Union Turnpike stop was the stop to catch the Q46 at.

What you're describing has a (slang) term around these parts... it's called getting flagged....

I have to agree w/ iAlam though.... Although it does happen, I cannot believe it's that many trips throughout the day that are bypassing that stop (union Tpke/QB) b/c buses leave 78th/QB crushloaded..... Especially the Glen Oaks-260 st buses.... Seems to me that you're exaggerating to fortify the point, and it's really not necessary.....

What you're describing has a (slang) term around these parts... it's called getting flagged....

I have to agree w/ iAlam though.... Although it does happen, I cannot believe it's that many trips throughout the day that are bypassing that stop (union Tpke/QB) b/c buses leave 78th/QB crushloaded..... Especially the Glen Oaks-260 st buses.... Seems to me that you're exaggerating to fortify the point, and it's really not necessary.....

Have you been there by rush hour lately?