BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

Have you been there by rush hour lately?

Actually yes I went on the Q46 twice within the past week and it took just under 3 min to get to the Union turnpike stop and even with the crowds we stop and picked up people with no issue DURING PM RUSH 

Edited by IAlam

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you been there by rush hour lately?

As of the past month, yeah.... What's your point?

You're not going to get me, or anyone that knows as much about the Q46 to believe that so many trips are bypassing that stop during the PM rush.... It's unrealistic, especially when the Q46 bunches too much for that to happen....

Actually yes I went on the Q46 twice within the past week and it took just under 3 min to get to the Union turnpike stop and even with the crowds we stop and picked up people with no issue DURING PM RUSH 

Just what I suspected.....

I mean, what he's describing happens with the B12 over at Alabama - and that's the first stop of the route, which is even worse.... One bus will pick up w/e waiting pax that are available, and the 2nd bus will make its first pickup after the underpass at the stop afterwards.....

I mean, what he's describing happens with the B12 over at Alabama - and that's the first stop of the route, which is even worse.... One bus will pick up w/e waiting pax that are available, and the 2nd bus will make its first pickup after the underpass at the stop afterwards.....

Does that mean that some of the people at the first stop don't fit on the first bus? (I remember reading somewhere that Alabama Avenue was the busiest stop on the B12. I think it might've been in that booklet last month where they changed the turnaround for the B12 & B25). Considering how desolate that area is, it's not really what I would've expected, but I guess there's a lot of people coming off the (J) and B20/83.

Does that mean that some of the people at the first stop don't fit on the first bus? (I remember reading somewhere that Alabama Avenue was the busiest stop on the B12. I think it might've been in that booklet last month where they changed the turnaround for the B12 & B25). Considering how desolate that area is, it's not really what I would've expected, but I guess there's a lot of people coming off the (J) and B20/83.

Most the time, I'd say yes.... and it's only because so many people pile up waiting for the bus after having came off 2-3 (sometimes even 4) J's (all manhattan bound btw; in other words, these are folks coming from Queens).... It's not uncommon to see 60-70 ppl. around the 5-6pm slot waiting 15-20 mins for a B12 back west.... What pisses me off is that buses will come in a bunch of 2 or 3 from the west (this happens like 10 mins after I get to the bus stop), then another bus comes like 5 mins later, then another one comes like 5 mins after that bus - and only ONE of those MF-ers will make the turnaround/u-turn in a 15-20 min span (of waiting) to pick up pax.... at least 2 of those suckers are heading for the depot, guaranteed... one of em will take an epic layover, and sometimes another bus will either pick up pax immediately after the WB bus in question leaves, or bypass that same WB bus as it's picking up pax.....

I tell you man, it's nothing like coming off a nice empty LIRR train - to walk down that block & see what looks like a mob waiting for the B12 :angry: ..... Sometimes I get fed up enough after waiting 15 mins & walk over to the Q24 - I get the stupid looks from people when I walk in the street to evade the crowds, but I gives no fux....But yeah, sometimes I get off at Halsey (and press my luck) to catch the B7, but most times I take the Q24 from Alabama, it's for the B46.....

As you can tell, I'm not one to have the same daily commute - especially coming home.

(after skimming briefly in the new (2015) bus ridership thread, looks like I'ma have to partake in an old commute - taking the QM16... I want to see where all that newfound ridership is heading to!)

When I realized that scenario (B12, first paragraph) wasn't anomalous, I stopped taking the LIRR to ENY coming home - made several rants about the B12 as of this year in this thread alone.... (btw, when I have to stop off in Jamaica, I don't do much of taking the Q56 to the B12... what I do with that is take the 24 the whole way through, then walk for the 46 local).... I miss taking the Q56 (but I got tired of having to stand from sutphin to (at least) Lefferts, but I don't want to deal with the B12...

What you read, is correct...

Alabama av is easily the busiest stop on the B12... Flatbush is 2nd, and a distant 3rd is Utica av (either direction).....

Here's something else you might not expect - almost no one xfers from the B20/83 to the B12.....

There are actually more people coming from off the Q24 & the Q56 to catch the B12 (over the B20/83)....

Desolate is right, and if you're in the area at night (esp. weekends), stay on your toes.... Not so much for the homeless (which usually loiter/sleep at the steps for Atlantic av (L), which is on the other side of the ENY av underpass from Alabama av), but more for those juveniles/young adults that are coming from some night club (which for the life of me, I still can't figure out where the hell it is exactly... When I take the (J) on weekends to work (when I have to, since the LIRR doesn't run early enough out of Atlantic), I stand on the platform & see (and hear) people coming from the Atlantic av side... so it's somewhere back in that direction).....

=========================================================

Edit:

Jesus christ... case in point:

2qpW0Ao.gif

I'm sure you can tell me what's wrong with this....

Edited by B35 via Church

From now on, I'm done being nice with these ungrateful people during the rush. No more of that ladies first, elderly people first nonsense if a bus is near capacity. If the bus is no where next to being full, sure I'll let them get on first, but if a bus is close to being "full", (here in NY, once the front gets cluttered the bus is full), I'm making my way to the front of the line. I'm waiting for the S79 today at the 92st stop in Brooklyn (50% of the time, S79s bypass the stop because they let the bus get completely full at the first stop (can't save a little space for the 5-6 people at the next & last stop in BK?)

So I just missed an S79 from my B8 transfer, and the next bus comes and bypasses us because it was packed, OK, whatever I didn't care, next bus comes, packed, room in the back, 3-4 people get on, I get on, dip my metrocard, he says "the bus is full wait for the next one". I told him there's room just make them move back, he gets loud and tells me, "you can't stand in front of the white line wait for the next bus". So now everyone on the bus starts lookin at me and I'm the center of attention, one guy said, "just get off the bus", I was ready to snuff him because he had so much space around him, but I just got off because it didn't need to go any further. So next bus comes, (mind u another 3-4 women come and try to board first, so as a gentlemen, I let them get on. We get on, pretty packed, there were 2 of us pass the white line, driver said move back over the speaker, no one moved (the people that I let on first literally stood right in the front and wouldn't move back so I could board, rude ass people), so I literally squeezed my way all the way to the back of the bus. And then the person that was over the front followed. If there's room for me to pass, there's a shitload of space...

Everyone is so inconsiderate of each other. So from now on, if a bus is near "full", I'm getting on first because I know I'll be moving to the very back. Waited about 25mins for a bus, which is usually my normal commute time on the S79.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

I'm sure you can tell me what's wrong with this....

Wow, that's interesting. I guess in some ways, it's kind of like the bus terminal in St. George, where the terminal itself is fairly isolated from the surrounding area, but it gets so many people because it's a transfer point from the ferry (obviously lol). I remember you mentioned a while back that a lot of those people get off by the projects around Rockaway Avenue. Is the B60 any more reliable than the B12? 

But yeah, since you mentioned the problems with the B12, I started checking it out on BusTime. Last night, I saw one bus running around 15-20 minutes late, and the guy behind him (who was supposed to be in front of him), was around 45 minutes late. And this is around 11PM on a Sunday!

From now on, I'm done being nice with these ungrateful people during the rush. No more of that ladies first, elderly people first nonsense if a bus is near capacity. If the bus is no where next to being full, sure I'll let them get on first, but if a bus is close to being "full", (here in NY, once the front gets cluttered the bus is full), I'm making my way to the front of the line. I'm waiting for the S79 today at the 92st stop in Brooklyn (50% of the time, S79s bypass the stop because they let the bus get completely full at the first stop (can't save a little space for the 5-6 people at the next & last stop in BK?)

So I just missed an S79 from my B8 transfer, and the next bus comes and bypasses us because it was packed, OK, whatever I didn't care, next bus comes, packed, room in the back, 3-4 people get on, I get on, dip my metrocard, he says "the bus is full wait for the next one". I told him there's room just make them move back, he gets loud and tells me, "you can't stand in front of the white line wait for the next bus". So now everyone on the bus starts lookin at me and I'm the center of attention, one guy said, "just get off the bus", I was ready to snuff him because he had so much space around him, but I just got off because it didn't need to go any further. So next bus comes, (mind u another 3-4 women come and try to board first, so as a gentlemen, I let them get on. We get on, pretty packed, there were 2 of us pass the white line, driver said move back over the speaker, no one moved (the people that I let on first literally stood right in the front and wouldn't move back so I could board, rude ass people), so I literally squeezed my way all the way to the back of the bus. And then the person that was over the front followed. If there's room for me to pass, there's a shitload of space...

Everyone is so inconsiderate of each other. So from now on, if a bus is near "full", I'm getting on first because I know I'll be moving to the very back. Waited about 25mins for a bus, which is usually my normal commute time on the S79.

I could see the logic of filling up completely at 86th: It's one less stop for the B/O to make, and have to sit there while people push their way on. I mean, if 5-6 people are waiting for the next bus, what difference does it make if they were at 86th or 92nd?

I would've asked the passengers directly to move to the back, rather than asking the B/O. But yeah, scumbags like the guy you described annoy the shit out of me. You managed to get on the bus, now try to make space so more people can do the same. SMH.

I'm assuming you had an unlimited MetroCard (since it sucks to have to pay twice). If that's the case, it might've been worth it to jump on an S53 or S93 and at least get over the bridge where you have more options.

Edited by checkmatechamp13

I had the "pleasure" of riding the Bx6 about a week or two ago. I got on near where the old Port Morris line goes under the new housing. The bus, an Orion VII, was crowded in the front, but in the back I could see the people seating on that last row of seats without anyone blocking the way. It has been one of the few times on a bus that wasn't the M60-SBS (which is its own stressful thing) where I really wanted to yell. Nobody had the audacity to move back or up a couple of steps.

Wow, that's interesting. I guess in some ways, it's kind of like the bus terminal in St. George, where the terminal itself is fairly isolated from the surrounding area, but it gets so many people because it's a transfer point from the ferry (obviously lol). I remember you mentioned a while back that a lot of those people get off by the projects around Rockaway Avenue. Is the B60 any more reliable than the B12?

But yeah, since you mentioned the problems with the B12, I started checking it out on BusTime. Last night, I saw one bus running around 15-20 minutes late, and the guy behind him (who was supposed to be in front of him), was around 45 minutes late. And this is around 11PM on a Sunday!

I could see the logic of filling up completely at 86th: It's one less stop for the B/O to make, and have to sit there while people push their way on. I mean, if 5-6 people are waiting for the next bus, what difference does it make if they were at 86th or 92nd?

I would've asked the passengers directly to move to the back, rather than asking the B/O. But yeah, scumbags like the guy you described annoy the shit out of me. You managed to get on the bus, now try to make space so more people can do the same. SMH.

I'm assuming you had an unlimited MetroCard (since it sucks to have to pay twice). If that's the case, it might've been worth it to jump on an S53 or S93 and at least get over the bridge where you have more options.

About the first part, if 5-6 are waiting at the stop, what difference would it make at 86st or 92st? At 92st, those 5-6 people are getting bypassed. At 86st, you see a bunch of S79s lined up ready to start the boarding process, then you can get settled on the bus and wait for others to board. You know your bus is right there at 86st, and you know you're gonna get on the next bus. At 92st, if every B/O keeps filling up until completely full, you don't even know if that S79 is gonna stop for you, or when you're gonna get on a bus.

About the transit options, I could've taken the S53 to the S78, but the one S53 that came during that time was jammed pack to the front door, bus driver drove pass the stop and had to let someone off through the back, 1 person got off, 4 people went in through the back. Thats what I'm talking about, if it wasn't for that person getting off and those people people being brave enough to go through the back, those 4 people would've still been waiting.

Overall, during rush hours, it sucks trying to catch a S53 or S79 bus from that stop. S93 is usually half full in terms of standees.

Edited by XcelsiorBoii4888

I had the "pleasure" of riding the Bx6 about a week or two ago. I got on near where the old Port Morris line goes under the new housing. The bus, an Orion VII, was crowded in the front, but in the back I could see the people seating on that last row of seats without anyone blocking the way. It has been one of the few times on a bus that wasn't the M60-SBS (which is its own stressful thing) where I really wanted to yell. Nobody had the audacity to move back or up a couple of steps.

Yeah smh, all of the hidden ignorance.

I like when B/Os say, "step back so these people can board or we're not going anywhere" ????. Take control of your bus.

About the first part, if 5-6 are waiting at the stop, what difference would it make at 86st or 92st? At 92st, those 5-6 people are getting bypassed. At 86st, you see a bunch of S79s lined up ready to start the boarding process, then you can get settled on the bus and wait for others to board. You know your bus is right there at 86st, and you know you're gonna get on the next bus. At 92st, if every B/O keeps filling up until completely full, you don't even know if that S79 is gonna stop for you, or when you're gonna get on a bus.

About the transit options, I could've taken the S53 to the S78, but the one S53 that came during that time was jammed pack to the front door, bus driver drove pass the stop and had to let someone off through the back, 1 person got off, 4 people went in through the back. Thats what I'm talking about, if it wasn't for that person getting off and those people people being brave enough to go through the back, those 4 people would've still been waiting.

Overall, during rush hours, it sucks trying to catch a S53 or S79 bus from that stop. S93 is usually half full in terms of standees.

You mean half full meaning that all the seats are taken and half the standing room is taken (which would be what, around 50-55 people or so)? Or you mean that half the seats are taken (which would be around 15-20 people)?

In any case, if you take the S93 to Fingerboard, at least you have options. You could wait for the S79 (which is guaranteed to let off people at Fingerboard, leaving space for you to board). Or you could walk down a couple of blocks to Hylan & Fingerboard and catch the S78 there (which is a little bit more pleasant than dealing with the construction around the Hylan overpass at the SIE).

You mean half full meaning that all the seats are taken and half the standing room is taken (which would be what, around 50-55 people or so)? Or you mean that half the seats are taken (which would be around 15-20 people)?

In any case, if you take the S93 to Fingerboard, at least you have options. You could wait for the S79 (which is guaranteed to let off people at Fingerboard, leaving space for you to board). Or you could walk down a couple of blocks to Hylan & Fingerboard and catch the S78 there (which is a little bit more pleasant than dealing with the construction around the Hylan overpass at the SIE).

For the S93, "half full in terms of standees" means all the seats are taken and half the bus is full of standees.

Yeah I sometimes take the S93 to Richmond Ave for the S74, then take it parallel to the S78 and walk the rest.

Interesting that you have a class where you can write a paper about a particular bus route....

What class/course is this, if you don't mind?

What you make a mention of here is something that I never thought about; the percentage/ratio of artics to 40'-ers in the borough.... If you break down which routes are (mainly) artic only, 40' only, or a random mix of the 2 (I won't do that here, but that would be a good idea for a separate thread), you'll find that there are more routes that are still 40' only.... What makes the ratio of artics to 40 footers as close as it is borough-wide/overall, is the fact that the routes that artics are being operated on - have higher frequencies (meaning, more BPH).....

You have the Bx12's, Bx19's, etc. of the world, but there are more Bx30's, Bx16's, Bx8's, etc of the world..... Which you'd think there would be anyway..... If every single route in the Bronx a] ran artics & b] had Bx12/19 ridership, patrons of the borough would be in trouble if they needed the bus to get around....

I mean hell, just take a gander at Jubai's commentaries about the Bx12 -

....Now imagine that 30+ times over (however many local bus routes are in the Bronx; someone can count that up if they feel like)

It's a research writing class. I didn't have to write about a certain bus route, it was just the topic I chose at the time. 

I'll be more than happy to break it down:

Mix of artics/40fters

Bx1/2

Bx9

Bx15

Bx19

Bx39

Bx40/42

40ft only/seldom artic appearances

Bx3

Bx7

Bx32

Bx36

M100

40ft only (no artics at all)

Bx8

Bx10

Bx11

Bx13

Bx14

Bx16

Bx17

Bx18

Bx20

Bx21

Bx23

Bx24

Bx26

Bx27

Bx28

Bx29

Bx30

Bx31

Bx32

Bx33

Bx34

Bx35

Bx38

Q50

Artics only

Bx4/A

Bx5

Bx12

Bx22

Bx41

Q44

I may be missing some because these were off the top of my head. If I am, don't hesitate to point it out.

Some make the argument that the Bronx doesn't need that many artics but in all honesty, it wouldn't hurt if they got a little more. It's been stated many times about how the city's population is growing faster than the city can keep up with. I've been on routes with 40ft buses in all 5 boroughs that make me wonder why the MTA didn't order a set number of artics for every depot.

Artics only

Bx4/A

Bx5

Bx12

Bx22

Bx41

Q44

I may be missing some because these were off the top of my head. If I am, don't hesitate to point it out.

Some make the argument that the Bronx doesn't need that many artics but in all honesty, it wouldn't hurt if they got a little more. It's been stated many times about how the city's population is growing faster than the city can keep up with. I've been on routes with 40ft buses in all 5 boroughs that make me wonder why the MTA didn't order a set number of artics for every depot.

Hey the BX41 is SBS too 

Also it weird seeing that so many bus lines don't run artics because 50% of the buses I see there are artics. 

Furthermore it's pretty common to see 40fts on the Q44 but still like a low 5%-10% chance 

Edited by IAlam