BUS - Random Thoughts Thread

• Replies 38.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Horrible accident at Flushing this morning A truck who though he wouldn't be able to make it under the LIRR bridge tried to make a U turn and his trailer hit the bus instead of staying on the scene he just continued under the bridge

image_zpsdquuq70e.jpeg

Most the time, I'd say yes.... and it's only because so many people pile up waiting for the bus after having came off 2-3 (sometimes even 4) J's (all manhattan bound btw; in other words, these are folks coming from Queens).... It's not uncommon to see 60-70 ppl. around the 5-6pm slot waiting 15-20 mins for a B12 back west.... What pisses me off is that buses will come in a bunch of 2 or 3 from the west (this happens like 10 mins after I get to the bus stop), then another bus comes like 5 mins later, then another one comes like 5 mins after that bus - and only ONE of those MF-ers will make the turnaround/u-turn in a 15-20 min span (of waiting) to pick up pax.... at least 2 of those suckers are heading for the depot, guaranteed... one of em will take an epic layover, and sometimes another bus will either pick up pax immediately after the WB bus in question leaves, or bypass that same WB bus as it's picking up pax.....

I tell you man, it's nothing like coming off a nice empty LIRR train - to walk down that block & see what looks like a mob waiting for the B12 :angry: ..... Sometimes I get fed up enough after waiting 15 mins & walk over to the Q24 - I get the stupid looks from people when I walk in the street to evade the crowds, but I gives no fux....But yeah, sometimes I get off at Halsey (and press my luck) to catch the B7, but most times I take the Q24 from Alabama, it's for the B46.....

As you can tell, I'm not one to have the same daily commute - especially coming home.

(after skimming briefly in the new (2015) bus ridership thread, looks like I'ma have to partake in an old commute - taking the QM16... I want to see where all that newfound ridership is heading to!)

When I realized that scenario (B12, first paragraph) wasn't anomalous, I stopped taking the LIRR to ENY coming home - made several rants about the B12 as of this year in this thread alone.... (btw, when I have to stop off in Jamaica, I don't do much of taking the Q56 to the B12... what I do with that is take the 24 the whole way through, then walk for the 46 local).... I miss taking the Q56 (but I got tired of having to stand from sutphin to (at least) Lefferts, but I don't want to deal with the B12...

What you read, is correct...

Alabama av is easily the busiest stop on the B12... Flatbush is 2nd, and a distant 3rd is Utica av (either direction).....

Here's something else you might not expect - almost no one xfers from the B20/83 to the B12.....

There are actually more people coming from off the Q24 & the Q56 to catch the B12 (over the B20/83)....

Desolate is right, and if you're in the area at night (esp. weekends), stay on your toes.... Not so much for the homeless (which usually loiter/sleep at the steps for Atlantic av (L), which is on the other side of the ENY av underpass from Alabama av), but more for those juveniles/young adults that are coming from some night club (which for the life of me, I still can't figure out where the hell it is exactly... When I take the (J) on weekends to work (when I have to, since the LIRR doesn't run early enough out of Atlantic), I stand on the platform & see (and hear) people coming from the Atlantic av side... so it's somewhere back in that direction).....

=========================================================

Edit:

Jesus christ... case in point:

2qpW0Ao.gif

I'm sure you can tell me what's wrong with this....

You have a club on Atlantic and Georgia, across from the old B40 terminal.  I think that it was a former bank.....

Just last week, I took my mom via the (L) to ENY station since Pennsylvania on the (3) is now closed.  I'm so glad that I went with her.  The homeless sitting at the bottom of the steps was a welcoming site.  The "youts" walking around the area didnt make things any easier. Once again,  I'm so glad that I went with her.  

Mind you, this was 4:30PM on a weekday......

Bunching on the B12 is nothing new.....  goes back to the days when I grew up over there in Crown Heights.  Between the school kids and KCH it was a mess....

Years later when I was with my ex who lived by the Parkside terminal, you'll see 4-5 buses layed over on the corner of Ocean and Parkside.  I see that they finally lengthened the bus stop over there.....

Edited by SubBus

Something really random. I get to the bus stop by American Cargo for the B15. Missed the first one. That was okay with me. 2nd bus comes within 5 mins and purposely skips the stop. I believe that bus was 7104 on the B15 heading into East NY. Bus wasn't even full. The blatant disrespect of that driver to pass 3 people standing at the bus stop. I've noticed working out of JFK buses don't stop and they will keep doing it until someone speaks about the issue and you wonder why some buses run HOT.

From now on, I'm done being nice with these ungrateful people during the rush. No more of that ladies first, elderly people first nonsense if a bus is near capacity. If the bus is no where next to being full, sure I'll let them get on first, but if a bus is close to being "full", (here in NY, once the front gets cluttered the bus is full), I'm making my way to the front of the line. I'm waiting for the S79 today at the 92st stop in Brooklyn (50% of the time, S79s bypass the stop because they let the bus get completely full at the first stop (can't save a little space for the 5-6 people at the next & last stop in BK?)

So I just missed an S79 from my B8 transfer, and the next bus comes and bypasses us because it was packed, OK, whatever I didn't care, next bus comes, packed, room in the back, 3-4 people get on, I get on, dip my metrocard, he says "the bus is full wait for the next one". I told him there's room just make them move back, he gets loud and tells me, "you can't stand in front of the white line wait for the next bus". So now everyone on the bus starts lookin at me and I'm the center of attention, one guy said, "just get off the bus", I was ready to snuff him because he had so much space around him, but I just got off because it didn't need to go any further. So next bus comes, (mind u another 3-4 women come and try to board first, so as a gentlemen, I let them get on. We get on, pretty packed, there were 2 of us pass the white line, driver said move back over the speaker, no one moved (the people that I let on first literally stood right in the front and wouldn't move back so I could board, rude ass people), so I literally squeezed my way all the way to the back of the bus. And then the person that was over the front followed. If there's room for me to pass, there's a shitload of space...

Everyone is so inconsiderate of each other. So from now on, if a bus is near "full", I'm getting on first because I know I'll be moving to the very back. Waited about 25mins for a bus, which is usually my normal commute time on the S79.

Well that sucks. I've dealt with similar overcrowding on the M86 in the past. :/

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Well that sucks. I've dealt with similar overcrowding on the M86 in the past. :/

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

It's not overcrowding, it's people being inconsiderate a**holes.

It happens everywhere, so it's worth knowing it isn't exclusive to any part of the city. People seem to be unable to move to the back of the bus to make room at the front. It boggles my mind.

Something really random. I get to the bus stop by American Cargo for the B15. Missed the first one. That was okay with me. 2nd bus comes within 5 mins and purposely skips the stop. I believe that bus was 7104 on the B15 heading into East NY. Bus wasn't even full. The blatant disrespect of that driver to pass 3 people standing at the bus stop. I've noticed working out of JFK buses don't stop and they will keep doing it until someone speaks about the issue and you wonder why some buses run HOT.

You should report the date and time so he gets written up. That's unacceptable.

It was better off there in the first place. The only reason the Q112 got moved was because the stops were extended plus and the Q114 takes the Q112's old stop.

Well, the Q114 is basically the old Q113 local, so I don't see why the MTA felt the need to put it at a separate stop.

I'm not sure where there's any problem spots, but I do notice that even at the terminal, buses tend to start late. Maybe the solution is more layover time. I'm not too familiar with the route, but I don't think there's too many traffic chokepoints.

Wow, that's interesting. I guess in some ways, it's kind of like the bus terminal in St. George, where the terminal itself is fairly isolated from the surrounding area, but it gets so many people because it's a transfer point from the ferry (obviously lol). I remember you mentioned a while back that a lot of those people get off by the projects around Rockaway Avenue. Is the B60 any more reliable than the B12? 

But yeah, since you mentioned the problems with the B12, I started checking it out on BusTime. Last night, I saw one bus running around 15-20 minutes late, and the guy behind him (who was supposed to be in front of him), was around 45 minutes late. And this is around 11PM on a Sunday!

Nope, not even close - B12's simply arrive/run more frequently than the B60.... Sucks that the B60 is one of those routes where riders tend to ride it for longer distances than most routes in the city.....

I know it's been repeated on here an ump-teenth amount of times, but either the B45 or the 65 should be running (in service) to Alabama av - they already DH via ENY av to get to/from St Johns anyway.... That's what irks me whenever I see a bus signed as a B45 or B65 passing by as I wait for the B12 at the 1st stop.... Either one of those routes could use the addt'l ridership, and the B12 could run a little smoother if it didn't have so many folks simply getting off well before Pitkin, slowing/delaying things....

You have a club on Atlantic and Georgia, across from the old B40 terminal.  I think that it was a former bank.....

Just last week, I took my mom via the (L) to ENY station since Pennsylvania on the (3) is now closed.  I'm so glad that I went with her.  The homeless sitting at the bottom of the steps was a welcoming site.  The "youts" walking around the area didnt make things any easier. Once again,  I'm so glad that I went with her.  

Mind you, this was 4:30PM on a weekday......

Bunching on the B12 is nothing new.....  goes back to the days when I grew up over there in Crown Heights.  Between the school kids and KCH it was a mess....

Years later when I was with my ex who lived by the Parkside terminal, you'll see 4-5 buses layed over on the corner of Ocean and Parkside.  I see that they finally lengthened the bus stop over there.....

Not conveying it's anything new... Hell, when they cut the route back from Sheridan to Alabama (J), that had immediately solved the bunching problems the route had.... Then they started di**king around with the schedule little by little there afterwards (for whatever the reasons), and lo & behold, the route has the same problem again.... Whether service was later added as a result of the truncation though, I can't recall.....

To be fair, what I will say is, the bunching isn't as bad now as it was back then (buses constantly running in 3's & 4's, and then nothing for like 1/2 hour to 45 mins - even during middays!.... Worse, more trips (than was necessary, if you ask me) were running the full route, which only made matters worse).... It's one reason I would have rather (and did) rode the B46 up to B'way for the (J) if I needed it, than having to worry about if I missed a conga line of B12's after walking over to Albany..... Basically, the gaps b/w bunched buses aren't as bad now as it was back then; obviously due to the truncated/compact route the B12 now has)....

What's going on now over @ Alabama during the PM rush (what I explained to Checkmate) I sincerely believe is planned/intentional.... Too many pull ins & increased layover times on that end of the route.... Instead of (a more) balanced layover duration on both ends of the route.....

Parkside end... What's funny about that is that they lengthened it all for naught.... On that end of the route, the layovers aren't as long, so buses hardly accumulate over there much.... Which to me explains the long(er) waits for buses on the Alabama end (aside from buses being late or w/e)

In any event, Yeah, they don't care what time of day it is - those homeless folks be chillin' over there by LIRR ENY/Atlantic av (L)... But for the most part, they won't bother/harass you (unless you look at them for a prolonged period of time, I find)..... It's the so-called yutes I keep a sharp eye on in that area....

Edited by B35 via Church

The Q113 and the 114 (along with the Q24) took the Q112's old stop

Exactly.  If anything, its the Q111 that bumped the Q112 off Archer.

"Old" Q111 stop is now the Q111-Farmers stop

Old Q113/114 stop is now the Q111-Rosedale stop

Old Q112 stop is now the Q24 and Q113/114 stop

Cant wait for the artics to show up on Brewer.  I saw 5398 being used as a training bus on Rockaway Blvd by JFK yesterday.  All white except for where the blue stripe is supposed to be, which is now black.....

Does anyone know what time the WF loaners are? I know some of them happen at around 8:30 or so, but I'm hoping to catch some earlier ones...

Mainly happens in the rush hours. I caught a few loaners on Bx32 around the rush. If you want to know the specific times I caught them (no guarantees on catching them though):

8:00AM: KB loaned a D60, presumably for the school crowds none the less, heading towards kingsbridge. Rode it from 143rd St to 156 St.

4:30PM: A FP NG was loaned and was in layover at Mott Haven

3:30PM: A different FP NG was on the Bx32. it was at Lincoln Hosp heading to Kingsbridge.

By the time when most of the buses(2011 & onward) are covered with the new color scheme, people that takes the +SBS+ should not have any problems determining whether an approaching bus is an +SBS+ vehicle, right? Now I was reading some of the posts about the bus stops on Archer Av, Jamaica Av & the Q112 turning right on Guy R. Brewer from Jamaica Av "can be a hassle" due to the fact that cars stop at the light beyond the stopping line. To be honest, I would have the Q113 LTD/Q114 LTD turn right on Guy R. Brewer from Archer Av instead of turning right on 160th St, then left on Liberty Av & finally right on Guy R. Brewer. When the LTD's turns on Guy R. Brewer from Liberty Av, there is not enough space for them to turn when cars are there. Sometimes when drivers see the bus trying to make the turn, they barely move to have the bus to turn. I do remember when my bus tried to turn on Guy R. Brewer from Liberty Av, a dollar van driver who was the first vehicle at the light did not even bother to move. He mad eye contact with the bus driver when he tried to turn. As the bus was trying to turn, the dollar van driver gave a mean look at the bus driver, like as if he wants his van to get scratch by the bus's bumper but it didn't happen. When there are no cars there, buses will stay in the right lane and make a turn with no problem. However, when there are cars there, sometimes buses will have to cut across the left lane and then turn right. Turning right on Guy R. Brewer from Archer Av is easier than making a right turn on Guy R. Brewer from Liberty Av. I know sending the Q113 LTD/Q114 LTD to make a right turn on Guy R. Brewer from Archer Av would not happen but that's just a suggestion.