MTA Bus vs New York City Transit

Via Garibaldi 8

I figured since I'm on the BM3 at the moment, (an (MTA) Bus express bus) and then transferring later to the X1 or X10 (New York City Transit buses), I'd pose this question... I find the B/Os that work under (MTA) Bus to be generally more pleasant, as if they are less stressed and things just seem more organized. I could be wrong but I think (MTA) Bus is better organized than its "bigger brother". The express buses are very clean and I can pretty much set my Blackberry to their arrival, where as I just hope for a bus to come if it is a NYCT bus (be it an express bus or a local bus).

Why does it seem as if (MTA) Bus is more organized? :P

When I was at Simon Baruch MS104, I did not know about express bus policy and decided to take BxM9 bus to my first home in Yorkville, and after I paid $4 on NYBS, nice NYBS B/O let me off at 3rd Av/86th St.

When I was on BM3 right after MTA Takeover, using ex-Command Bus CNG with overheard luggage comportment, he was ex-(MTA) before transfer to Command Bus, then MTA Bus, who was very friendly, funny.

He took us his old neighborhood Alphabet City when FDR Drive North traffic was worst.

Lat summer, one of LGA Depot B/O, he drove 5:30pm departure on 3rd Av QM24 branch at 38th St and after his last drop off in Queens, he takes me to Q48 or Q72 bus stop.

Few years ago, when I was on friendly B/O's Q21 (before the extention), I was worry I might miss last QM15 bus, and at 157th Av, nice B/O honk as he pulled front of QM15, so I could get on.

Long time ago, when I was going to Hugenot Library, nice B/O on X17C let me off at pickup bus stop near library because I was only one at that time.

Even one of Atlantic Express X23 driver is nice also.

I have noticed the express bus operators appear to be more courteous then their local counterparts.

Well express B/O's usually have less stress since they don't have to deal with crush loads and the like. Alot of the guy that work the express lines have often held the same run for years so they know their regular passengers.

To add to my post.

One of Q72 B/O friend pulled up beside M60 (when it was MTV) at Central Terminal, so I wouldn't miss it.

On N21 Great Neck on March 21st, 2011, I got on friendly male B/O who announce possible service cut suppose to be schedule to be cut on July 3rd and about MTA public hearing. He also told passenger I was doing petition to save bus.

Long time ago, when I went on hunt for N93~N95, I got friendly B/O on N79.

The bus drivers on the express buses are much nicer than the regular bus drivers. The only express buses I've ever ridden were the X90 and X92, but the drivers were always nice. I've had many bad experiences with the regular bus drivers. A few times I'd round the corner and see the bus there and I'd run to try to make it. I would be just about there when he closed the door, and I would him looking at me and laughing. Now that's just completely rude and really pisses me off. One time I banged on the front door right before he pulled away, but now I just give them the finger. I don't get why they'd do that. If they don't see me then I could understand, but to purposely close the doors first, look at me, and start laughing... that's just ridiculous.

Oh, yeah.

I took X25 from Battery Park City, and since this B/O have not driven X25 since 9-11, he pulled into X90 bus stop at Vesey St. As in result, he let me and other rider free for his mistake.

When I took farewell ride on QM23, male B/O was very nice and he was having conversation with other QM23 rider. He even told one of passenger who lives in Far Rockaway, he could pick her up since he was coming from Far Rockaway Depot.

But, according to him (I'll take his word on it, since I've never ridden an MTA Bus route besides the Q53 and BxM11) NYCT express bus drivers are less courteous than MTA Bus express bus drivers.

I'll give you some examples... On the BM3, they are very good about NOT coming early, and I mean never, especially on Saturday. You never have to worry about them coming early. They will come a few minutes later so that they make sure that they pick up everyone. The X10 meanwhile, they can give two f*cks about what time they come. If they're early oh well. Catch the next one.

Going back to Midtown on the BM3, the B/Os just about always ask where everyone is going so that he can speed up our commute and usually we are all going to Midtown, so he will bypass Downtown completely. They also generally greet you when you get on and exit. Tonight I actually thanked the B/O because he got us to 23rd and Park in about 45 minutes and he wished me a good night. I'm not saying that they're aren't rude ones because they do exist, but less so when compared to the NYCT B/Os.

The bus drivers on the express buses are much nicer than the regular bus drivers. The only express buses I've ever ridden were the X90 and X92, but the drivers were always nice. I've had many bad experiences with the regular bus drivers. A few times I'd round the corner and see the bus there and I'd run to try to make it. I would be just about there when he closed the door, and I would him looking at me and laughing. Now that's just completely rude and really pisses me off. One time I banged on the front door right before he pulled away, but now I just give them the finger. I don't get why they'd do that. If they don't see me then I could understand, but to purposely close the doors first, look at me, and start laughing... that's just ridiculous.

You have no idea how hard I laughed when I read this!!!

You have no idea how hard I laughed when I read this!!!

Me too... Well I don't run for buses, so I don't have that issue. They either wait or they don't. They'll be another one and I always have several back up plans anyway, especially with my unlimited card. The only thing that drives me nuts is for some reason at the 14th st stop, they took out the (M3) stop there, so the (M1) and (M2) stop there, but apparently not the (M3). For a while some B/Os would stop stopping there and everyone is looking like WTF, why aren't you stopping and the B/O drives slowly past the stop and points towards the next one. Then I look at him and give him an angry look like I'm not walking down there. Stop the damn bus and let us on! I mean I've got my Whole Food bags and such and I'm not running two blocks with my work clothes. The hell with that. Someone must've said something because all (M3)s now stop there like they did before. Now they need to put the bus stop back there officially! Friggin' DOT! :mad:

I don't notice much of difference between the two to be honest. Other than MTA Bus hybrids seem to be more raggedy than the NYCT ones.

Long Island Bus on the other hand....

This must be in Queens... The (MTA) Bus express buses in Brooklyn are great and their hybrids are decent as well, but of course Spring Creek does an excellent job w/their buses. Very well maintained. Queens has a lot of hand-me-downs in terms of their local (MTA) Bus buses. :eek: I believe all of their express buses are now MCIs though, most of which are relatively new. :cool: :tup:

The Bronx also does a good job with their express buses.

(MTA) Bus Company and (NYCT) New York City Transit Authority need to be one right now!

As for the experiences between these two, I say I have a pleasant experience riding the buses of X17, X10, BM3, and X28 buses. The operators I have are very easy going for me.

This must be in Queens... The (MTA) Bus express buses in Brooklyn are great and their hybrids are decent as well, but of course Spring Creek does an excellent job w/their buses. Very well maintained. Queens has a lot of hand-me-downs in terms of their local (MTA) Bus buses. :eek: I believe all of their express buses are now MCIs though, most of which are relatively new. :cool: :tup:

The Bronx also does a good job with their express buses.

Yes, the queens depots mainly. When SC had their original hybrids, they just a nice as a NYCT hybrid, but then they swapped with FR...

I was only talking about the hybrids with that statement, btw. IMO SC, ECH exp fleet is much MUCH better than the ish SI runs on their expresses. The SI express bus riders whine about the older MCIs, they have a few in SC and I ridden on a couple of them and they seemed fine to me. :cool::cool:

Me too... Well I don't run for buses, so I don't have that issue. They either wait or they don't. They'll be another one and I always have several back up plans anyway, especially with my unlimited card. The only thing that drives me nuts is for some reason at the 14th st stop, they took out the (M3) stop there, so the (M1) and (M2) stop there, but apparently not the (M3). For a while some B/Os would stop stopping there and everyone is looking like WTF, why aren't you stopping and the B/O drives slowly past the stop and points towards the next one. Then I look at him and give him an angry look like I'm not walking down there. Stop the damn bus and let us on! I mean I've got my Whole Food bags and such and I'm not running two blocks with my work clothes. The hell with that. Someone must've said something because all (M3)s now stop there like they did before. Now they need to put the bus stop back there officially! Friggin' DOT! :mad:

That happens to me when I went to check out Transport Athuma X90 bus few days after service cut began.

So, M20 Bus Stop was at wrong place at Broad St, then went I wait for (M20) at State/Whitehall Sts (DOT did not put M20 sign yet), and I was deciding to take either BPC Shuttle or M20, and I saw M20 and waved to B/O, he pointed to next State/Bridge Sts and I have to ran and he waited for him.

Yes, the queens depots mainly. When SC had their original hybrids, they just a nice as a NYCT hybrid, but then they swapped with FR...

I was only talking about the hybrids with that statement, btw. IMO SC, ECH exp fleet is much MUCH better than the ish SI runs on their expresses. The SI express bus riders whine about the older MCIs, they have a few in SC and I ridden on a couple of them and they seemed fine to me. :cool::cool:

Here's the thing about SI express buses... Ridership on both the X1 and X10 is far higher than just about any (MTA) Bus express bus and thus, not to mention that SI express bus routes are some of the longest runs, if not the longest in the entire system. Also, (MTA) Bus in Brooklyn does not run express bus service on Sunday and they only run 1 bus an hour on Saturday, so they have much more time to tend to their buses than Yukon, Charleston or Castleton does. However, the crowds on (MTA) Bus express buses also tend to be older and they generally don't leave messes and such like they do at times on the X10. It could be due to the fact that the X10 passes through less desirable areas like Port Richmond.

But yeah, Castleton has the oldest express bus fleet, and they got a lot of those from either (MTA) Bus or MJQ when the X90 was eliminated, so while the fleet isn't as bad as it was before, we still desperately need new express buses because a lot of them are breaking down due to old age.

I figured since I'm on the BM3 at the moment, (an (MTA) Bus express bus) and then transferring later to the X1 or X10 (New York City Transit buses), I'd pose this question... I find the B/Os that work under (MTA) Bus to be generally more pleasant, as if they are less stressed and things just seem more organized. I could be wrong but I think (MTA) Bus is better organized than its "bigger brother". The express buses are very clean and I can pretty much set my Blackberry to their arrival, where as I just hope for a bus to come if it is a NYCT bus (be it an express bus or a local bus).

Why does it seem as if (MTA) Bus is more organized? :P

I can't tell if you're making a general claim b/w NYCT vs MTA bus.... or if your gripe is simply b/w the express buses of the two counterparts (this is what it appears, despite how you ended the post)...

Regardless, I find that:

- MTA BUS express buses aren't any cleaner than NYCT expresses....

- MTA BUS express bus b/o's are courteous, but I find NYCT express bus b/o's to be chill/cool in their own regard... take that FWIW....

- MTA BUS local buses aren't any cleaner than NYCT locals...

- MTA BUS local b/o's are more chattier/courteous than NYCT b/o's, but I always found that to be the case back in the PBL days....

- No way MTA BUS local buses are (any)more on time than NYCT locals.... I think the opposite has more of a ring of truth to it.... Although I will say MTA BUS local service now, compared to pre-2005/06, has greatly improved....

Far as the organization part... Well, IMO, it's easier "cleaning up the mess" so to speak, of defunct organizations that you've taken over, to pertain to your operational wants/needs... than it is to (attempt to) clean up the mess that's long gone on "in house"... I mean, think about the complaints you hear/read about, about ppl's commutes on MTA BUS bus routes (express or local), compared to NYCT bus routes (express or local)....

bet you'll hear more of them, regarding NYCT buses.......

"but there's more NYCT routes", one might say....

^ MY response to that...

Exactly.

I can't tell if you're making a general claim b/w NYCT vs MTA bus.... or if your gripe is simply b/w the express buses of the two counterparts (this is what it appears, despite how you ended the post)...

Regardless, I find that:

- MTA BUS express buses aren't any cleaner than NYCT expresses....

- MTA BUS express bus b/o's are courteous, but I find NYCT express bus b/o's to be chill/cool in their own regard... take that FWIW....

- MTA BUS local buses aren't any cleaner than NYCT locals...

- MTA BUS local b/o's are more chattier/courteous than NYCT b/o's, but I always found that to be the case back in the PBL days....

- No way MTA BUS local buses are (any)more on time than NYCT locals.... I think the opposite has more of a ring of truth to it.... Although I will say MTA BUS local service now, compared to pre-2005/06, has greatly improved....

Far as the organization part... Well, IMO, it's easier "cleaning up the mess" so to speak, of defunct organizations that you've taken over, to pertain to your operational wants/needs... than it is to (attempt to) clean up the mess that's long gone on "in house"... I mean, think about the complaints you hear/read about, about ppl's commutes on MTA BUS bus routes (express or local), compared to NYCT bus routes (express or local)....

bet you'll hear more of them, regarding NYCT buses.......

"but there's more NYCT routes", one might say....

^ MY response to that...

Exactly.

I disagree with that. All of the express buses that I used out of (MTA) Bus in the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn have been cleaner than the NYCT express buses and more reliable overall as well.

I can't comment about service reliability for (MTA) Bus local service because I have not used it, but it would be understandable if they had problems mainly because they have run down buses on some local lines, which is not necessarily their fault, but moreso just what they were given to use until they can be replaced with new ones.

Overall it just seems like (MTA) Bus is more organized and I gave a few examples as to what makes me think this way. It may not be true, but it is the conclusion that I've come to just from my observations. Of course (MTA) Bus is small compared to NYCT but still. I think I'm more curious about how the two companies differ if anything and how these differences effect service, etc., be it for the better or for the worse.

All of express buses I took:

BM1, BM2, BM3, BxM1 (ex-Liberty Lines) and Liberty Line Days, BxM2, BxM3, BxM4B (before the cut), BxM6, BxM7, BxM7A, BxM9 (NYBS Days/MTA), BxM10, BxM11, QM1/QMA, QM4, QM10, QM21, QM22 (long time ago), QM23 (before the cut), QM24, X1, X10, X17C, X23 Atlantic Express, X25 (before the cut), X27, X28, X30 (Vanhool 0053 test), X51 (before the cut), X90 (before the cut), AE-7, Bee-Line BxM4C express buses I been on were clean

I think it is really a toss-up as far as the attitudes of bus operator's--really just the luck of the draw. It is probably true that express operators are somewhat more cordial, because they know their regular passengers more often, and probably due to the higher fares, have less problematic passengers to deal with. On the other hand, the passengers paying these higher fares can be more demanding and critical and probably more likely to write a complaint letter.

I ride local buses in Queens in the very early morning. Between 3 and 4 AM.

I find that the NYCT buses are considerably more reliable in timekeeping than MTA Bus in general. The MTA Buses, sometimes are way ahead of schedule, way behind, or don't show at all, more often.

I will agree that it has improved a bit though since MTA Bus took over from QSC, but still not nearly as reliable as NYCT Bus, at least in the 'wee' hours.

All of express buses I took:

BM1, BM2, BM3, BxM1 (ex-Liberty Lines) and Liberty Line Days, BxM2, BxM3, BxM4B (before the cut), BxM6, BxM7, BxM7A, BxM9 (NYBS Days/MTA), BxM10, BxM11, QM1/QMA, QM4, QM10, QM21, QM22 (long time ago), QM23 (before the cut), QM24, X1, X10, X17C, X23 Atlantic Express, X25 (before the cut), X27, X28, X30 (Vanhool 0053 test), X51 (before the cut), X90 (before the cut), AE-7, Bee-Line BxM4C express buses I been on were clean

You've managed to out ride me on the express buses. That's some bloody feat. And I thought I was the king of express buses... :P

All of the express buses I've taken:

X1, X2, X7, X9, X10B/X10C, X11, X12, X13 (before the cut), X14 (before and after the cut), X15, X16 (before the cut), X17C/X17J, X25 (before the cut), X27, X28, X29 (before the cut), X30, X42, X64, X68, BM1, BM2, BM3, BXM10, QM1.

I could never catch the X90. I was supposed to take the BM4 today, but it turns out that traffic was so screwed up that I wound up catching the 17:25 BM3 instead of the 16:55 BM4, so the BM4 I'll take eventually. I suppose I'll get around to "fanning" on some of the other express bus, but quite frankly all of the lines I listed I've used for travelling purposes only since most of the places I go are served by the express bus. :cool:

In any event, I've found the NYCT express buses dirtier overall, although most of the were clean. It's probably partially because the (MTA) Bus express buses have less traffic overall and are newer, but they also do maintain them better and keep them cleaner. I think the worse express bus line is the X10 in terms of reliability and cleaniness. Of late the X10s have been better in terms of cleaniness, but reliability still has been shaky.

I think it is really a toss-up as far as the attitudes of bus operator's--really just the luck of the draw. It is probably true that express operators are somewhat more cordial, because they know their regular passengers more often, and probably due to the higher fares, have less problematic passengers to deal with. On the other hand, the passengers paying these higher fares can be more demanding and critical and probably more likely to write a complaint letter.

It's not that we're more demanding. The local bus riders are just as demanding quite frankly. It's just that we're the types that will fight more to keep our service, especially because we're paying the premium fare, so naturally we're going to be more critical. I have written in on several occasions, especially when the B/Os come early and it is my regular express bus and he's the last bus for the morning. Pisses me to the core because I have to change my whole commute around. :mad: To be honest w/you, I am fine with the (MTA) Bus express buses. Even if they are late I am fine with it because they are consistent and I know that they come a little later to make sure that they pick everyone and won't come early. However, what irritates me with say the X10 is that there is no consistency at all. One guy may come 10 minutes early and the next guy will arrive 15 minutes late if at all. :mad: I tend to get crankier when waiting for the X10 especially because it is the most unreliable express bus line in the entire city. The X1s may be late from time to time, but they generally don't run hot.

Archived