LFSs vs NGs

Via Garibaldi 8

So I finally got to ride these new LFS buses. I rode one on the S54 on Friday night coming from the X10 and tonight I got one on the S53 also coming from the X10. It so happened that both times buses were scheduled to meet with the X10, so I didn't bother with car service since I could be home by the time I actually wait for a car to come.

Anyway, I have to say that I really like these buses. They accelerate much smoother than the NGs do, thus no herkie jerkie nonsense, not to mention that seem even faster than the NGs AND I LOVE the climate control on these. No more stinking @ss smelling buses. Most importantly there is actually room to stand and room for folks to move around you if necessary. Quite frankly for this purpose alone, Castleton and Yukon can give away all of their narrow aisle NGs and get LFSs instead. The back door thing isn't that bad either. I still don't get the handles since it should be just tape there, but I guess they can fix that. I also like the separation between the door and the folks sitting by the door. Basically there's a sort of divider which allows for more personal space if someone is standing by the door.

The two things that are weird is that one seater at the front there and I also don't get the whole B/O area. How are they supposed to be better protected and where do they get out at?? I'm also baffled as to why the "Stop Requested" display signs are so miniscule?? Other than that and the seats facing each other in the back, I like them. It's also cool that people have more single seaters too. The barriers are cool too because each area is sort of sectioned off a bit allowing for more personal space, which lacks big time on the NGs. :cool:

So I finally got to ride these new LFS buses. I rode one on the S54 on Friday night coming from the X10 and tonight I got one on the S53 also coming from the X10. It so happened that both times buses were scheduled to meet with the X10, so I didn't bother with car service since I could be home by the time I actually wait for a car to come.

Anyway, I have to say that I really like these buses. They accelerate much smoother than the NGs do, thus no herkie jerkie nonsense, not to mention that seem even faster than the NGs AND I LOVE the climate control on these. No more stinking @ss smelling buses. Most importantly there is actually room to stand and room for folks to move around you if necessary. Quite frankly for this purpose alone, Castleton and Yukon can give away all of their narrow aisle NGs and get LFSs instead. The back door thing isn't that bad either. I still don't get the handles since it should be just tape there, but I guess they can fix that. I also like the separation between the door and the folks sitting by the door. Basically there's a sort of divider which allows for more personal space if someone is standing by the door.

The two things that are weird is that one seater at the front there and I also don't get the whole B/O area. How are they supposed to be better protected and where do they get out at?? I'm also baffled as to why the "Stop Requested" display signs are so miniscule?? Other than that and the seats facing each other in the back, I like them. It's also cool that people have more single seaters too. IThe barriers are cool too because each area is sort of sectioned off a bit allowing for more personal space which laxcks big time on the NGs. :cool:

Just by looking at this title, I can already see where this thread is going to go in a matter of hours..... I can already see "F*ck the NGs, LFSs are better!" "Hybrids suck!" or every other anti-Next Gen / Hybrid post one can think of...

Well, here are some tips for ya, any bus that you ride between 8001 and 8014 will feature an Allison Transmission which makes the bus ride much more smoother, but in return, makes the pickup and giddy-up power to the buses to some extent, kinda slow. The Allisons also make the buses rather loud on the inside and on the outside.

Any bus over 8015 and up will feature a ZF Ecolife transmission. The ZFs have a tendency to make the bus jerk around with a little tap on the brake, though on the flipside, gives the bus a lot of giddy-up and pickup power, so its a very unusual tradeoff. ZF transmissions also make the buses super quiet on the inside to some extent.

The handles, the Stop Requested signs, the rear seating and the one front seat is all NovaBus specs from what I understand.

Just by looking at this title, I can already see where this thread is going to go in a matter of hours.....

Well, here are some tips for ya, any bus that you ride between 8001 and 8014 will feature an Allison Transmission which makes the bus ride much more smoother, but in return, makes the pickup and giddy-up power to the buses to some extent, kinda slow. The Allisons also make the buses rather loud on the inside and on the outside.

Any bus over 8015 and up will feature a ZF Ecolife transmission. The ZFs have a tendency to make the bus jerk around with a little tap on the brake, though on the flipside, gives the bus a lot of giddy-up and pickup power, so its a very unusual tradeoff. ZF transmissions also make the buses super quiet on the inside to some extent.

The handles, the Stop Requested signs, the rear seating and the one front seat is all NovaBus specs from what I understand.

I think this bus was 8020 that I was on tonight. Can't remember what bus # it was on the (S54). Anyway, I just had to give my feedback on the buses because at first I don't think I was that wild about them. While I like the look of the NGs better, I think I like the LFSs better in terms of functioning. They remind me a bit of the Orions we had in terms of having room to stand and such. As far as the other passengers go, I think the jury is still out. Some of them complained about the bus being so small feeling and I do have to agree. It's kind of like you get on and bam there is everyone right before you. lol

The LFS is my favorite low floor bus. They are much more aesthetically appealing on both the inside and out. In addition, I'm extremely glad the MTA decided to ditch the hybrids at the present time since that was all we got for the past eight years, for the most part.

@via: I hope you enjoyed the ride. I hope the MTA goes with a large order of these...for what it's worth we're getting 328 of these in the Articulated form within the coming year. Woo-hoo!!!

Yeah, I've actually managed to catch a few LFSs this week and they're really nice buses! They don't have as much space as Orion Vs but they're more spacious than the NGs and definitely give a smoother ride.

That being said, I like the hybrids too because they're unlike any other bus with the "herkie jerkiness" and extremely fast-pickup but the lack of aisle space when the hybrids get crowded is a big enough problem that I'm happy CAS is getting more Orion Vs as of late.

low floor buses are pointless, they should have just kept ordering orion V's untill they stopped making them 3 years ago. Orion V was the perfect bus for this city. As far as a suitable replacement, the LFS is the clear winner. The OVII's (OG/NG) have proven that they cant stand up to the streets of this city with its poor fuel mileage and the whole bulkhead weld cracking issue. The newflyer C40LF is the next best, but NYCTA shouldn't bother with these OVII's anymore

The LFS is my favorite low floor bus. They are much more aesthetically appealing on both the inside and out. In addition, I'm extremely glad the MTA decided to ditch the hybrids at the present time since that was all we got for the past eight years, for the most part.

@via: I hope you enjoyed the ride. I hope the MTA goes with a large order of these...for what it's worth we're getting 328 of these in the Articulated form within the coming year. Woo-hoo!!!

LOL... You even changed your sign... :)

LOL... You even changed your sign... :P

Heck yeah! An LFS on the S79 would be VERY serious business :cool:

You gotta admit, if the MTA made LFS suburbans for SOME (not all) the express lines, tell me the bus wouldn't look good signed as, idk...X16??? :P

Heck yeah! An LFS on the S79 would be VERY serious business :cool:

You gotta admit, if the MTA made LFS suburbans for SOME (not all) the express lines, tell me the bus wouldn't look good signed as, idk...X16??? :P

LOL!! I would go that far now. I'm still sold on the MCIs. Nothing like those nice orange signs on an MCI... :cool:

You know I still have to get used to seeing those LFSs though. Both Friday and Saturday as they were approaching I kept saying wait a minute, is that the bus or what in the hell is that? LOL Stupid me not thinking about the new buses that just arrived, probably because of the signage.

That must be a SI issue as the NGs @ FLA don't stink and the climate control works great! Esp in the winter, nice and toasty. :cool:

No that's the problem... Too hot, hence the stench. They blast the heat even when it isn't that cold out and the air flow doesn't really reach you since the ceiling is up so high unless you're near the back of the bus which is closer to the ceiling since it is higher up. Most of the buses I get on whenever I do use the local bus on Staten Island, esp. on the (S53), the B/O either has the heat blasting or there is no HVAC on at all, so with no windows open it gets rather nasty quickly. I'm sure those people start sweating and such with their big coats on. Luckily for me the ride to the express bus is 10-15 minutes usually depending on how many stops we have to make, which is about as long as I can bear the heat before I start sweating like a beast. lol

Good, those NF artics can be displaced to retire some of the O5 crap at BP and JFK. Go Nova!

LFS hands down. I've warmed up to the Orion NGs but I don't like the OGs.

Ditto. The good thing about the OGs are some of the older ones still have the old seating config [i still prefer the forward facing rear seats than the interior facing ones].

Personally I prefer those OGs. Better ride from what I've seen (and I ride an OG / NG every day), a whole lot smoother, and can really pull from about 20 or so mph upwards. IINM, 6366-6747 have the forward-facing seats with maybe one or two exceptions, and I agree, I prefer those too -- the Designlines were the best with nothing but forward seats on 1302, 1304, and 1306.

1302 had the U style seating, 1304-05 and 06 had forward facing seats.

Speaking of interior changes, 6371 now has the U style seating. That damn interior threw me through a loop!

Good, those NF artics can be displaced to retire some of the O5 crap at BP and JFK. Go Nova!.

I'd agree to that if you let my 1000s die at 126 just like the 8600s died at their respective depots!

Good, those NF artics can be displaced to retire some of the O5 crap at BP and JFK. Go Nova!

If the numbers add up those 1996 and 1997 New Flyers are definitely getting the boot. However, this contract for these new Artics is supposed to be split between NYCT AND MTA Bus. I'm not sure what this may mean for how many go to NYCT and MTAB but I am certain that those New Flyer D60HFs may not go to MTA Bus. Instead MTA Bus will get the Novas to boot out the 40-footers.

I'd agree to that if you let my 1000s die at 126 just like the 8600s died at their respective depots!

Heh, of course!

If the numbers add up those 1996 and 1997 New Flyers are definitely getting the boot. However, this contract for these new Artics is supposed to be split between NYCT AND MTA Bus. I'm not sure what this may mean for how many go to NYCT and MTAB but I am certain that those New Flyer D60HFs may not go to MTA Bus. Instead MTA Bus will get the Novas to boot out the 40-footers.

Oic. Just as long as none of the nova LFSA goes to LGA, I'm fine with that. LGA can take the displaced OGs or even NGs [from JFK if they were to get the artics].

Personally I like the NG and OG.Orion I think did a great job on the Og,but not so much on the NG.Now as far as the LFS,I never rode.However I did ride the LFS-A and That bus is amazing!! and with the power package that it utilizes makes it a great bus.Either way both buses LFS and NG are great for the State economy,considering they were both built in the state of New York.

I think this bus was 8020 that I was on tonight. Can't remember what bus # it was on the (S54). Anyway, I just had to give my feedback on the buses because at first I don't think I was that wild about them. While I like the look of the NGs better, I think I like the LFSs better in terms of functioning. They remind me a bit of the Orions we had in terms of having room to stand and such. As far as the other passengers go, I think the jury is still out. Some of them complained about the bus being so small feeling and I do have to agree. It's kind of like you get on and bam there is everyone right before you. lol

IMO, you can't really compare an NG(hybrid) to an LFS(diesel). I say wait till the 3G's come in, then you can make an accurate comparison.

MTAB getting artics? i don't think so. With artics only running through manhattan and the bronx, the only way this could happen is if they send them to eastchester depot. I don't think NYCTA wants to trust brand new 62ft $700,000 buses to those tight congested roads of queens, and drivers that are not familiar with artics

MTAB getting artics? i don't think so. With artics only running through manhattan and the bronx, the only way this could happen is if they send them to eastchester depot. I don't think NYCTA wants to trust brand new 62ft $700,000 buses to those tight congested roads of queens, and drivers that are not familiar with artics

The drivers at BP are familiar

Trust me, MTA Bus will be getting artics in the near future. Drivers at Baisley Park are familiar with artics as they made a brief appearance on the Q113 a few years back. The Ex-WMATA and Ex- Bee-Line Orion 5s are on extremely borrowed time, and the MTA wants to get rid of approximately 750 buses this year.

Archived