Questions about NYCT Bus/MTA Bus Training

RTS4Life

On 10/28/2016 at 11:12 PM, Statty said:

Qualifed on day 9! Phew.. this training sure is intense and gets the best out of you. Glad I qualified.. on to rts training. Looking forward to line training as well!

Congrats, and I'm going to private message you.

• 6 months later...

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Biggington said:

Reading this thread has some great information but can also really make you nervous about not passing. If you do not pass the 10 day training is there any second chance opportunity to try again?

Nope. You have to re-apply, take whatever tests over again, and between the time you failed and the time you try again has to be 5 years.

If you're saying "ouch," you're not the only one. Trust me.

You go out with a senior operator for their entire day. They will show you the route(s), the ins and outs, proper procedures in regards to the daily paperwork, pre-trip, etc. They will make you drive, maybe buy you lunch. Rinse and repeat for the other 4 days. You will be off on the weekends, unless in a particular week (Sunday-Saturday), there is a TA holiday. They will swap either day off for you to work, so that you can be off on the holiday.

10 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Today was customer service day at zerega. Tomorrow is vision zero. I guess after that is Line Training. What should I expect from Line Training. 

I'm not sure if they are continuing what they did with my class and several others, but I went through a 10-day mentoring program where you ride around with a senior operator for two weeks- they will usually have a SUN/SAT RDO run and they will show you the ropes when it comes to the job and whatnot. The route they are on counts towards your line training so once your two weeks are up you'll go on to learn the other lines. Some routes interline so you may find yourself on one route more than once while line training.

Edited by SoSpectacular

Monday will be day 5 of training out of kingsbridge. The instructor tells me I'm doing well but I just have to cover my right side ASAP!. My questions is, how long do we drive on qualification day? Are we told right away if we passed or do we wait until the other drivers are done?

2 hours ago, Felcel said:

Monday will be day 5 of training out of kingsbridge. The instructor tells me I'm doing well but I just have to cover my right side ASAP!. My questions is, how long do we drive on qualification day? Are we told right away if we passed or do we wait until the other drivers are done?

Cover your right side at all times, unless you're making a left turn or the lane to the right of you leads up to a turn on red sign. The only things that should be able to pass you on your right side when it's covered outside of a bus stop are bikes and people. 

I'm sure your instructor have told you about using fixed objects to cover your right. Just remember that not all fixed objects are permanent (i.e., I get into my parked car next to you and start it up) so you would have to adjust to recover your right, if said object moves position. My instructor told me that you do not have to go into the bus stop as part of covering your right, just get fat. (Or ask them, everyone is diff)

Also, monitor what's going on alongside you and call it out. You should know by now what your instructor will let slide because you were aware that it was happening and you adjusted for it. 

As for driving on qualification day, it depends where you go and how ready you are. If you get trolley braked or run a yellow, it's an automatic fail. Everything else is subjective but if you're forgetting the basics, then don't expect a pass. I was the last one to drive on Day 9 and sat in the seat for an hour. Didn't know about passing till the end of it.

You're absolutely right! I have to cover my right side more often. My other question is, on qualification day are we doing everything we have learned the days before? For example, parallel parking, hook turns, servicing bus stops?? Since I have my cdl I dont have to take road test my, my instructor told me to focus on what we have learned thus far. 

Also, what gets you disqualified on day 7 besides the obvious getting charlie braked hitting the curb red lights, speed.

Thanks for your reply

Edited by Felcel