Bad day for Buses in Queens

QM1to6Ave

So the summer heat has started, and it is apparently already taking its toll on buses, at least in Queens.

Today, I saw 3 separate buses on the Q46 (2 OG's and 1 RTS) getting towed, along with 1 QM6 that was being repaired by the roadside repair truck, plus a broken down Q20 at Main Street and Union. I also saw 2 broken down RTS's in Manhattan, as well, by 34th Street.

Usually, I will, at most, see 1 broken bus per day, and even that is kind of unusual. This is just what happened last July with the intense heat waves we had- bus after bus would sit on the side of Union Tpke waiting to be repaired, but that was after a long period of 90 degree days. Its a little sad that this is already happening so early on.

Anyone else notice an increase in breakdowns today?

I suspect some of the older express buses will have issues too. Seems like most of the newer buses are MIA on Staten Island. I rarely see any of the newer buses out of Yukon these days, esp. compared to Charleston. A lot of older MCIs runninng out of Yukon and of course Castleon. They're holding up for now, but come the summertime I don't know. The MCIs from (MTA) Bus should have fewer breakdowns because most of those depots have brand new buses, at least the Bronx does.

So I guess we aren't the only ones having lots of breakdowns.B)

This heat is too early. Looks like another brutal summer.

Speaking of Long Island Bus, I saw Orion VII NG CNG #1753 yesterday broke down with its blinking yellow lights broken down in Little Neck by Marathon Pkwy. I also overheard the driver giving the bus' location for help.

Does the MTA still help LIB buses or no?

Its the 1st heat spell of the season so naturally you'll see them dropping like fat people after a 25 mile run lol. Give them time, and the number will be less

What he said, I spotted 647X on the Q27 broken down next to the graveyard. Surprisingly it was the very bus I let go 5 minutes earlier LOL

Speaking of Long Island Bus, I saw Orion VII NG CNG #1753 yesterday broke down with its blinking yellow lights broken down in Little Neck by Marathon Pkwy. I also overheard the driver giving the bus' location for help.

Does the MTA still help LIB buses or no?

I am hearing that the MTA maint. people have left the building. Basically its like the way it used to be, before the MTA took over mgmt.

And for the 2nd week in a row an N35 never showed, probably broke down. Runs are being curtailed EVERY DAY.

This is what the "transition" to a private operator is all about!

I am hearing that the MTA maint. people have left the building. Basically its like the way it used to be, before the MTA took over mgmt.

And for the 2nd week in a row an N35 never showed, probably broke down. Runs are being curtailed EVERY DAY.

This is what the "transition" to a private operator is all about!

They want to suck so hard that ppl will actually favor privitization. It is clear the MTA wants out of LI as due to their rte alignments they clearly DO NOT know how to run suburban buses at all they should stick to the city. MTA had rtes that were stupid like N46 one LI ppl already dont like hempstead and the 46 serves middle class folk who dont like hempstead I observe most of the traffic heading towards roosevelt field from what others told me they dont want to transfer too many times especially at hempstead. There is no direct link from bellmore that is sad. If N46 went to roosevelt via merrick and bypassed hempstead ppl going there will simply transfer to N48/49. While heading direct to major areas without haveing to transfer to N51!!!! would have increased ridership. too bad I didnt see that first. MTA clearly has no respect for LI

I also heard one of the Ex-Bee Line 05's caught fire and is a total loss.

Yes, #112 went up in flames on the Q39. Oddly enough I rode that bus a day before it went up in flames.

One of the buses that is in the worst shape is 9323; the whole interior looks crappy (numbers infront falling off, some of the seats are beat up, very dirty). The Stop Request also didn't work, and the thing had NO AC. I was dripping sweat in that bus (everybody got off by Roosevelt anyway, I was the only one besides the driver bearing the scorching heat :mad:).

I don't understand why MTAB / MTANYCTB retired 2 PERFECTLY GOOD RTS even though There are some buses out that Can't even make it up a hill without the AC on. smh.

I saw 9121 on the B26 at Tompkins and Halsey on Monday and the bus was seriously effed up. The suspension was shot and the bus was tilting and everything.

96 Novas are junk anyway.

Archived