Loss of local bus service to Union Square

Via Garibaldi 8

All that last post of his proved, was that he didn't know wtf he was talkin about, when it came to NYC bus service.... I was hoping he'd say, he's stick it out on another board.... Because I post in the NJT forums.... So much for moral victories; guess this is the best we on the NYC side of the bus forums can hope for....

ah well, 553, SJP, Pablo, and those guys can take turns rippin him a new one....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have noticed the lack of buses in & around union square... the biggest absences of the area are the M7 & the M9.... I remember when the M9 terminated over there by the toys r us (which is now a babies r us) on the eastern side of union sq.... all I really see now are M14's (btw, does anyone remember the M14c?)....

far as the M6, I wouldn't say it was wasteful... I would've relegated the M6 to an off peak route weekdays, & running weekends until around 6-7pm.... and have M5's end at Houston st, when M6's are running... that's how unique I think the M6 was.... Of course, the MTA was lookin to rid itself of duplicative services, but I would've ran the M6 from Lincoln center to South ferry... I'll edit this post with a google map, instead of scribing a bunch of "north on this, make a right on that's"... lol...

They could've made the M6 work if they wanted to... it could've supplemented the M5 (instead of having been treated like a standalone route).... hmpf, the pedestrian-izing (lol) of broadway didn't help matters either...

I have noticed the lack of buses in & around union square... the biggest absences of the area are the M7 & the M9.... I remember when the M9 terminated over there by the toys r us (which is now a babies r us) on the eastern side of union sq.... all I really see now are M14's (btw, does anyone remember the M14c?)....

far as the M6, I wouldn't say it was wasteful... I would've relegated the M6 to an off peak route weekdays, & running weekends until around 6-7pm.... and have M5's end at Houston st, when M6's are running... that's how unique I think the M6 was.... Of course, the MTA was lookin to rid itself of duplicative services, but I would've ran the M6 from Lincoln center to South ferry... I'll edit this post with a google map, instead of scribing a bunch of "north on this, make a right on that's"... lol...

They could've made the M6 work if they wanted to... it could've supplemented the M5 (instead of having been treated like a standalone route).... hmpf, the pedestrian-izing (lol) of broadway didn't help matters either...

Agreed B35. They could have ran the (M6) also say weekdays 6am-11pm every 15-20 minutes and weekends 7am-11pm as a supplemental route of the M5 between Lincoln Center and South Ferry.

Also the (M5) could have been a 'limited' on all trips weekdays appx. 7am-10pm and weekends 8am-8pm between Chambers/City Hall area and 72nd/Broadway. With alternative (M5) ending at Houston when the (M6) ran. Not to mention ending the Northbound (M5) at CCNY uptown at around 135th and Amsterdam. While extending the (M104) to Gw Bridge thus giving Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights, Morganside Heights/West Harlem a 24/7 bus line along Upper Broadway.

When the M9 used to run to Union Square, it would help out the M14A since their travel paths are pretty much identical and helped out the 14A by a ton.

The M14C from what I remember was a route that ran directly to the Con-Ed plant, but after 9/11, all bus service to & from that plant was discontinued, therefore sending the M14D to run the former M14C route. The M21 replaced it till the summer of 2010 which now the CURRENT M9 (BLEH!) is using the travel path.

doesnt the M3 go to Union Sq?

i really think they need to do something with the M5 route. bring back the M6, or extend the M1 back to south ferry because that M5 is long enough from Washington Hts all the way to South Ferry. idk, that just my opinion.

doesnt the M3 go to Union Sq?

i really think they need to do something with the M5 route. bring back the M6, or extend the M1 back to south ferry because that M5 is long enough from Washington Hts all the way to South Ferry. idk, that just my opinion.

Only northbound does the M1(weekdays only) M2 and M3 directly serve Union Sq via 4th Ave/Park Ave South.

Currently Luis there is no 'local' Downtown bus serving Union Sq on Park Ave/Broadway.

Closest is either on 5th Ave (M1) (M2) (M3) or on 3rd Ave (M101) (M102) (M103).

Only northbound does the M1(weekdays only) M2 and M3 directly serve Union Sq via 4th Ave/Park Ave South.

Currently Luis there is no 'local' Downtown bus serving Union Sq on Park Ave/Broadway.

Closest is either on 5th Ave (M1) (M2) (M3) or on 3rd Ave (M101) (M102) (M103).

Which is literally a block apart. The block that separates Union Square Park & 5th Avenue is nothing serious.

Which is literally a block apart. The block that separates Union Square Park & 5th Avenue is nothing serious.

You could argue that but if you really don't want to deal with the subway, taking the bus becomes a hassle. For example, I used to take the BM3 to 23rd and Park from Brooklyn and then wait there for an M1, which usually would arrive in a few minutes and then I'd be in Union Square in no time. Now I would have to walk to 5th & 23rd, wait for the bus and then walk back over to Union Square or transfer to the M14. The thing is if you've been walking all day like I am by that point the last thing you want to do is be bothered with a sh*t load of subway stairs with tired feet and bags. What I'm going to start doing is just hoping on the express bus for one stop to Union Square when I don't feel like dealing with that set up and here of late I've been doing just that when heading down there. I could care less if the B/O says anything either, especially since I have an Unlimited Express Bus Card. I did it several times last week and nothing was said and I know most of them have probably seen me on other lines anyway, so they know I'm a regular. They can't really say anything anyway because when they're picking up in the city people technically can get off to transfer to other express buses. There are certainly a few non-official spots where that is being done already since the cuts were put into place, so the least the (MTA) can do is be flexible.

You could argue that but if you really don't want to deal with the subway, taking the bus becomes a hassle. For example, I used to take the BM3 to 23rd and Park from Brooklyn and then wait there for an M1, which usually would arrive in a few minutes and then I'd be in Union Square in no time. Now I would have to walk to 5th & 23rd, wait for the bus and then walk back over to Union Square or transfer to the M14. The thing is if you've been walking all day like I am by that point the last thing you want to do is be bothered with a sh*t load of subway stairs with tired feet and bags. What I'm going to start doing is just hoping on the express bus for one stop to Union Square when I don't feel like dealing with that set up and here of late I've been doing just that when heading down there. I could care less if the B/O says anything either, especially since I have an Unlimited Express Bus Card. I did it several times last week and nothing was said and I know most of them have probably seen me on other lines anyway, so they know I'm a regular. They can't really say anything anyway because when they're picking up in the city people technically can get off to transfer to other express buses. There are certainly a few non-official spots where that is being done already since the cuts were put into place, so the least the (MTA) can do is be flexible.

Flexibility was the only reason why I suggested express buses turn to open door limited with highway segments retained. The same things you did on expresses in manhattan. that was it:cool:

Agreed B35. They could have ran the (M6) also say weekdays 6am-11pm every 15-20 minutes and weekends 7am-11pm as a supplemental route of the M5 between Lincoln Center and South Ferry.

Also the (M5) could have been a 'limited' on all trips weekdays appx. 7am-10pm and weekends 8am-8pm between Chambers/City Hall area and 72nd/Broadway. With alternative (M5) ending at Houston when the (M6) ran. Not to mention ending the Northbound (M5) at CCNY uptown at around 135th and Amsterdam. While extending the (M104) to Gw Bridge thus giving Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights, Morganside Heights/West Harlem a 24/7 bus line along Upper Broadway.

There is NO way the M104 will extend especially when the 1 train does this. No one who has to catch a bus from GW will use the M104 to do it!!! It is just not nessesary. The 104 gets its ridership cause broadway is that major of a corridor thats it

Flexibility was the only reason why I suggested express buses turn to open door limited with highway segments retained. The same things you did on expresses in manhattan. that was it:cool:

Uhhh... no... Even though I've done it, I am still an express bus rider and the only folks who do it are express bus riders, thus it is not slowing down service at all. I've stated before. Express buses are not meant for limited stop purposes. That's what local buses are for. Express buses are for express bus riders.

This is the smartest post you have made.

Inspite of living in NYC I mostly use the subway to travel so The only buses I use are ones that do things the subways dont do. I know more about LI buses and upstate and NJT,CTT and Maryland(regional) type buses than urban city type buses. That is why I only made plans for Regional type bus networks they favor speed and conectivity therefore uncompatible with NYC unless the outer networks are taken care of first. Most of NYC's problems are from outer regions hence why my plans are all regional. I used these forums as just a testing bed on the types of arguments potential opponents may give. But all of my ideas do not involve NYC directly

Uhhh... no... Even though I've done it, I am still an express bus rider and the only folks who do it are express bus riders, thus it is not slowing down service at all. I've stated before. Express buses are not meant for limited stop purposes. That's what local buses are for. Express buses are for express bus riders.

ehh u win

...The M14C from what I remember was a route that ran directly to the Con-Ed plant, but after 9/11, all bus service to & from that plant was discontinued, therefore sending the M14D to run the former M14C route. The M21 replaced it till the summer of 2010 which now the CURRENT M9 (BLEH!) is using the travel path.

Got it a little confused there. The old M14D went through the Con Ed plant (Avenue D->14 St, whereas the old M14C bypassed it (Avenue D->East 10 St->Avenue C->East 14 St). But after 9/11, the relabeled the M14C the "new" M14D, and the "old" M14D was dropped. I remember that perfectly cuz I used to live in Baruch Houses between 2000-2002

Back when there were RTSs :cool:

Inspite of living in NYC I mostly use the subway to travel so The only buses I use are ones that do things the subways dont do. I know more about LI buses and upstate and NJT,CTT and Maryland(regional) type buses than urban city type buses. That is why I only made plans for Regional type bus networks they favor speed and conectivity therefore uncompatible with NYC unless the outer networks are taken care of first. Most of NYC's problems are from outer regions hence why my plans are all regional. I used these forums as just a testing bed on the types of arguments potential opponents may give. But all of my ideas do not involve NYC directly

Of course not because you're trying to turn NYC routes into NJ or CT routes

I don't know if anyone has realized this, but all local bus service that used to serve Union Square going Southbound has been lost. :mad: The M1 used to go there and then it was re-routed to go via 5th Avenue. The the M7 was re-routed to go to 6th Avenue & 14th st, and finally the M6 was axed.

Now I understand that the plazas had something to do with some of the changes, but I find it unacceptable to not have one local bus going by Union Square. In fact sometimes I protest and take the express bus from my office and get off at Union Square this way I don't have to schlepp from 5th & 14th over to Union Square. It especially sucks on hot humid days dodging the crowds along 14th and such. Some may argue that the re-routes have improved reliability or congestion, but I think some sort of restoration to that area Southbound should be made. Thoughts?

You should e-mail the (MTA) with your ideas. You are right about everything you said and they need to know that this affects you so it wouldn't hurt for you to contact them on the mta.info site. I'll even send an e-mail out about this because it makes no sense for there to be no local bus service at Union Square.

There is NO way the M104 will extend especially when the 1 train does this. No one who has to catch a bus from GW will use the M104 to do it!!! It is just not nessesary. The 104 gets its ridership cause broadway is that major of a corridor thats it

You can make the same argument for the Downtown (M5) goes the street as the (R) Local on Broadway between Whitehall and Union Sq. So what new QJtransitmaster? I got a nickname for him now. Capt.masterlocks LOL :cool:since he always typing in caps.

You should e-mail the (MTA) with your ideas. You are right about everything you said and they need to know that this affects you so it would hurt for you to contact them on the mta.info site. I'll even send an e-mail out about this because it makes no sense for there to be no local bus service at Union Square.

I will at some point. I've actually been contacting representatives for various districts in an effort to get some bus service restored. I'm not as familiar with who represents certain parts of Manhattan, but I will do some digging and then contact them. :cool:

You should e-mail the (MTA) with your ideas. You are right about everything you said and they need to know that this affects you so it would hurt for you to contact them on the mta.info site. I'll even send an e-mail out about this because it makes no sense for there to be no local bus service at Union Square.

I agree with sending the M1 to its old terminal via Park Avenue, but, unfortunately, I think he'll get the same response that I've been getting whenever I give them an idea: "We have forwarded your idea to Operations Planning, but cannot respond to every suggestion". Even when I came up to them in person, they didn't get back to me, even after repeated emails and phone calls.

I will at some point. I've actually been contacting representatives for various districts in an effort to get some bus service restored. I'm not as familiar with who represents certain parts of Manhattan, but I will do some digging and then contact them. :cool:

See above with the luck you'll have with the MTA. Hopefully, the representatives will give you an easier time.

I agree with sending the M1 to its old terminal via Park Avenue, but, unfortunately, I think he'll get the same response that I've been getting whenever I give them an idea: "We have forwarded your idea to Operations Planning, but cannot respond to every suggestion". Even when I came up to them in person, they didn't get back to me, even after repeated emails and phone calls.

See above with the luck you'll have with the MTA. Hopefully, the representatives will give you an easier time.

Yeah that's why I don't really take my transportation issues to the (MTA) because they have the f*ck the public attitude overall. You'll get further with your representatives.

Yeah that's why I don't really take my transportation issues to the (MTA) because they have the f*ck the public attitude overall. You'll get further with your representatives.

But something is better than nothing. Use ALL the resources that are in front of you, if for nothing else, you can show that you told the (MTA) the same thing and it can be used against them if the Representative you would speak to actually tries to help you out.

I don't always agree with Garbaldi i.e express buses, etc. However there should still be at least '1' Downtown-bound bus that still serves Union Sq 'directly' via the Park Ave/Broadway routing. My preference should be the (M1) since it a shorter route now to/from 8th Street than the (M5).

Or the alternative could be turn the Downtown (M5)via 12th Street as well to avoid the traffic of 14th Street.

I don't always agree with Garbaldi i.e express buses, etc. However there should still be at least '1' Downtown-bound bus that still serves Union Sq 'directly' via the Park Ave/Broadway routing. My preference should be the (M1) since it a shorter route now to/from 8th Street than the (M5).

Or the alternative could be turn the Downtown (M5)via 12th Street as well to avoid the traffic of 14th Street.

It's not really shorter, its just a weekend run implemented for all times.

Speaking of Union Square, this is petition I made before doomsday cut.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?bx12sbs&1

Here are good comments. For safety of signatures, I will post them as number.

Signature #3: Please keep the M! running. It is our life line.

Signature #5: I live in the Financial District and use this bus to get my young children to school on 13th Street.

Signature #6: I am a disabled senior citizen, and this is absolutely absurd! What are people supposed to do? How shall I get to work?

Signature #7: Why not just re-route the M6, why discontinue the only west midtown bus from Lower Manhatttan?- And notice to NYCDOT made bad decision.

Signature #8: The M6 is my only convient means of transportation from work. If service is eliminated I would be forced in all types of weather to walk 9 blocks to my connecting bus home. The M-6 is always crowded and again the only bus that goes up 6th ave south of canal. Why would anyone in their right mind eliminate such a needed and well used route?

Archived