Possible Scenario For A (7) Re-Route To Astoria

Andres

Now A Friend T/O of mine told me that in case of an Emergency (7) Trains are planned to get rerouted to Astoria using the connection at Queensboro Plaza.

Now im not really sure if thats true if its actually planned or is even been though of but wat kind of scenario would cuz such a reroute and could (7) Trains even get back onto their route to 42nd street coming from Atoria?

They can't for the simple fact that the stop arm is on the opposite side of the truck so in a sense, if you put a (7) out there, it can run by every signal

But if it was a dire emergency, I guess it can happen, albeit looking at every signal and acting like its A-Division

Besides, only NB (7) trains can actually get to Astoria. Going the other way, you would have to do a boatload of turnarounds at Queensboro Plz

This was discussed before it CAN HAPPEN it's not IMPOSSIBLE.It's just HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

(7) from Queensboro Plaza to Astoria.The only issue is the gap but other than that in an emergency it's very possible but the chances of a (7) getting re-routed up there near 0.

How much would it cost to put gap fillers on the Astoria late night cut back the (N) to 57th St and run the (Q) from Stillwell to Whitehall and let the (N) run via Bridge and have one (7) go to Astoria one to Flushing a pattern.

LMAO just joking.But they can implement gap fillers :-p

The Flushing Line can be rebuilt to BMT/IND standards, but that won't happen unless if they replace the Steinway Tunnel.

As if that will ever happen....

But along the same thought, I wonder if the tunnels of the 7 line extension were built large enough to re-align the tracks for B Division cars in the future?

A TSS must be on the train if that was to happen because of the trippers being on the other side. I remember when the R142s would go out to the rockaway flats a TSS would be on the train.

The (7) is on the B division radio frequency but doesnt mean a train is going to be rerouted. Something would seriously have to happen and even then they would most likely suspend (7) service and shuttle bus it and or the N to Queensboro Plaza and have (7)s terminate on the lower level.

Sometimes I wonder if a T/O would actually say something like that but what do I know. IMO just another foamers dream. There would be no sense of sending a (7) to Astoria unless the (7) was set to BMT standards which it originally was. And to think someone actually said something about gap fillers on the Astoria Line. Some of you need to go out and enjoy the summer.

....and the only reason why that switch is still there because thats the only connection for A Div cars to be xferd and serviced at CIY if need be.

This is a really un-likely situation on the scale of "will almost never ever happen" even if things were that bad.

When there is a G.O. on the current N or Q lines to/from Astoria, those trains simply shuttle between Astoria and Queensboro Plaza, for riders to transfer to/from the #7.

When there is a G.O. on the current #7 lines to/from Flushing, those trains simply shuttle between Flushing and Queensboro Plaza, for riders to transfer to/from the current N and Q lines.

Second while on the upper level of the Queensboro Plaza station there is a crossover to/from the Astoria and Flushing bound tracks - there is not (and has not been for decades) a similar switch for the lower Manhattan bound track level. Meaning that one could send trains to the distant terminal from Manhattan (in theory) - getting the same trains back to their Manhattan origin points is not gonna happen with any ease of movement. Yes, it is possible to "wrong rail" through the station for certain movements - but that will not happen under any high passenger traffic situations.

So forget the idea of platform extenders or similar fodder - its not gonna happen.

Mike

For a (7) to go to Astoria, the crew would empty out the passengers at QBP and just take off, the BMT stations north of QBP would have a large gap if R62A's ran there since B Division cars are wider than A division cars.

Just to throw my 2 cents in this. I witnessed years ago (just about a decade ago) a train switch over at Queensboro on the (7) to the (N) line. I was standing at the front of the platform on the Flushing Bound (7) side when an set of out of service of redbirds came in. I heard the track switch being made and the out of service redbirds switched over to the Astoria bound (N) track. After the swtich over, I saw the track switch move back in place.

That said, this was back when the redbirds were being retired so I'm assuming that happened to transport the redbirds to their final dismantle yard.

Just to throw my 2 cents in this. I witnessed years ago (just about a decade ago) a train switch over at Queensboro on the (7) to the (N) line. I was standing at the front of the platform on the Flushing Bound (7) side when an set of out of service of redbirds came in. I heard the track switch being made and the out of service redbirds switched over to the Astoria bound (N) track. After the swtich over, I saw the track switch move back in place.

That said, this was back when the redbirds were being retired so I'm assuming that happened to transport the redbirds to their final dismantle yard.

They got to get to 207 somehow...

Now A Friend T/O of mine told me that in case of an Emergency (7) Trains are planned to get rerouted to Astoria using the connection at Queensboro Plaza.

Now im not really sure if thats true if its actually planned or is even been though of but wat kind of scenario would cuz such a reroute and could (7) Trains even get back onto their route to 42nd street coming from Atoria?

And how would those (7) trains get back to the Flushing Line once said emergency has been resolved? There's no switch connecting the southbound Flushing and Astoria line tracks, so there would have to be multiple reverse moves, which would foul up (N), (Q) and (R) service just to get those (7) trains back "home".

If I'm not mistaken, doing this would be difficult for two reasons. Perhaps the most obvious is the different between divisions; the gap between platforms would be dangerous for some riders.

Also, I've been to the Queensboro Plaza station more times than I can count. If I know my stuff, the only crossover tracks betwen the N and 7 lines after QB plaza are located on the Astoria/Flushing-bound tracks on the upper level. There are no crossover tracks to connect the lines on the lower, Manhattan-bound tracks. Therefore for this to happen, the 7 would have to use the Queens-bound upper level tracks for both directions to go to and from Astoria. Which would cause obvious headaches for Astoria Bound N trains.

If I'm not mistaken, doing this would be difficult for two reasons. Perhaps the most obvious is the different between divisions; the gap between platforms would be dangerous for some riders.

Also, I've been to the Queensboro Plaza station more times than I can count. If I know my stuff, the only crossover tracks betwen the N and 7 lines after QB plaza are located on the Astoria/Flushing-bound tracks on the upper level. There are no crossover tracks to connect the lines on the lower, Manhattan-bound tracks. Therefore for this to happen, the 7 would have to use the Queens-bound upper level tracks for both directions to go to and from Astoria. Which would cause obvious headaches for Astoria Bound N trains.

It was never said Astoria in service...

Archived