Ways to improve the M15 SBS

Via Garibaldi 8

23rd St is a transfer point for the M23, 29th St is for Bellevue Hospital.

Select bus stops at major points or where a transfer is available.

They do not stop at Delancey St anymore because the Marcy Ave bus (w/e it was i forgot already lol) doesn't run anymore.

Only one problem with your comparison, the M15 SBS doesnt go outside of Manhattan, express buses do.

Would be nice, but where would you get the extra buses for those runs? 126 only has a handful of buses for the locals and 95% of the LFS Articulated fleet is SBS ready. Plus the route already has a lot of problems getting to stops on time and dealing with traffic, sending it up there would make it 10x worse

The M5 in theory is not that long, why? Because the route flies up and down Riverside Drive and its only choking points is really in Midtown.

Maybe Kingsbridge could use some LFSAs and have the M15 split KB / 126th?

Or even have the BX12 / M15 SBSs split with 126 / GH and have them both share equipment?

For the M5, i do agree on Riverside Drive, but Midtown its hell, especially south of 59th Street.

Or even have the BX12 / M15 SBSs split with 126 / GH and have them both share equipment?

For the M5, i do agree on Riverside Drive, but Midtown its hell, especially south of 59th Street.

if its hell why do ppl even bother with it south of 59th??? some manhattan lines make u feel like ur in a senior home

I am not favor of extending M15 SBS.

Especially when there is Yankees Game, concert at Yankees Stadium could choke up traffic on Harlem River Drive.

I experience that many times on (M98) before service cut and after service cut.

If you extended, lots of east side residents will COMPLAIN MORE.

Lots of people are still complain why (M60) doesn't run go.

My friends at Manhattanville told me they want (M60) back.

if its hell why do ppl even bother with it south of 59th??? some manhattan lines make u feel like ur in a senior home

What are you talking about?

I am not favor of extending M15 SBS.

Especially when there is Yankees Game, concert at Yankees Stadium could choke up traffic on Harlem River Drive.

I experience that many times on (M98) before service cut and after service cut.

If you extended, lots of east side residents will COMPLAIN MORE.

Lots of people are still complain why (M60) doesn't run go.

My friends at Manhattanville told me they want (M60) back.

Well the M15SBS may compete with the M98, seeing it runs Express on the HRD? But then again it goes via 178/179 which the M15 wouldnt get near.?

You must really want East Side riders to flip a shit when they board a KB Bus, imagine if they ran those D60s on the SBS, them riders would flip a shit just by the interiors alone!

You must really want East Side riders to flip a shit when they board a KB Bus, imagine if they ran those D60s on the SBS, them riders would flip a shit just by the interiors alone!

Yeah, D60s + SBS + UES = major shit fit. That said, if KB were to receive enough LFSAs for even splits (Bx12 SBS runs KB/GH, M15 SBS runs KB/126) then you might have a shot. If you want to send the M15 up to Inwood, though, where would you put the new stops and how would you turn it? I doubt it would be wise to make the first and last Inwood stop 207 St; maybe something like 207 St, 218 St, 220 St/Allen Pavilion, then turn on 9 Av with the M100 could work. Another suggestion: anything using the Harlem River Drive needs to have some sort of alternate route in case of traffic because the HRD can get ugly crowded on weekdays. Maybe put Garmin Traffic on the buses and give the operator discretion between a series of pre-approved routes between 125 and 207 Sts (HRD, Deegan, then something on city streets in case they both back up).

Today, after I got off M60 at 125th St/2nd Av, rush to 126th St Depot to get receipt and saw M15 SBS #1255 was coming to 2nd Av125th St.

I made and it departs 1:00pm. During ride, all riders are :tup: They all had SBS receipt and arrived 79th St at 1:14pm, within construction work.

14 Minutes ride on my SBS ride!!

What happened to traffic signal priority? I recall that the issue was brought up at the SBS neighborhood meeting at the Queens Boro Public Library.

They talk about it but that's about it. Just hot air. B)

I'm assuming that the bus tracking will be further delayed too for Staten Island.

I ride the SBS every morning from 14th to 68th. It might not be the fastest way to get uptown, but when you factor in other aspects of my commute it definitely is. For example, I take the (L) to 1st ave (as do dozens of other people off each train, hence why the 14th st SBS stop is packed).. If I were to take it to Union Square, transfer to the (6), take that to 68th st and then walk over 3 avenues and 4 blocks to where I work, the total travel time would be longer than the SBS. I definitely prefer my quick transfer from subway to bus, and a nice 5 block walk off the bus to work. From the point I get on the bus to the point I get off takes me about 25-30 mins on average. I don't take the bus home however, because coming down 2nd ave with the construction and rush hour traffic is a nightmare.

Oh and also, there are plenty of regular M15 stops. Someone mentioned that there weren't as many anymore? Plus I find that most bus operators allow me to get on the regular M15 with an SBS receipt- i.e. I get a receipt and the M15 bus comes first. They usually just collect the receipt when boarding. I have a feeling that's not really allowed though, is it?

I ride the SBS every morning from 14th to 68th. It might not be the fastest way to get uptown, but when you factor in other aspects of my commute it definitely is. For example, I take the (L) to 1st ave (as do dozens of other people off each train, hence why the 14th st SBS stop is packed).. If I were to take it to Union Square, transfer to the (6), take that to 68th st and then walk over 3 avenues and 4 blocks to where I work, the total travel time would be longer than the SBS. I definitely prefer my quick transfer from subway to bus, and a nice 5 block walk off the bus to work. From the point I get on the bus to the point I get off takes me about 25-30 mins on average. I don't take the bus home however, because coming down 2nd ave with the construction and rush hour traffic is a nightmare.

Oh and also, there are plenty of regular M15 stops. Someone mentioned that there weren't as many anymore? Plus I find that most bus operators allow me to get on the regular M15 with an SBS receipt- i.e. I get a receipt and the M15 bus comes first. They usually just collect the receipt when boarding. I have a feeling that's not really allowed though, is it?

It's allowed. They also do the receipt collection on the Bx12 local.

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting replies from most posts I've read throughout the 5 pages.

This question is somewhat on-topic, but: did the M15 fall from the rank of "busiest bus route in the country" to the 2nd place? I see wikipedia has noted it. The B46 has moved to the the top ranking. I only ask because their citation link shows here - http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_bus.htm - that the route is in fact top ranking; but the page doesn't reflect so.

On another note; I'm looking to take a brief ride on the M15SBS sometime this coming week.

Some interesting replies from most posts I've read throughout the 5 pages.

This question is somewhat on-topic, but: did the M15 fall from the rank of "busiest bus route in the country" to the 2nd place? I see wikipedia has noted it. The B46 has moved to the the top ranking. I only ask because their citation link shows here - http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_bus.htm - that the route is in fact top ranking; but the page doesn't reflect so.

On another note; I'm looking to take a brief ride on the M15SBS sometime this coming week.

Yeah, that's weird... that page shows that average weekday ridership on the M15 has been busier on the B46 for several years now.

Only explanation I can think of is the B46 having enough weekend ridership to tip things in its favor. But even that doesn't necessarily sound right...

I hope the M15s' Bus Bulbs come next year as planned, and don't get pushed back, but this is the (MTA) B)

I like the idea of Bus Bulbs B)

While the M15 is an very busy route and certainly has it's issues the Bx12 SBS really needs to be looked at for possible improvement. What happens is that Inwood bound buses (I've been on plenty of them) fill up in Co-op City and then re-fill at every stop offering no relief from overcrowding. There is also non-stop bus bunching on Bx12 which means you could be waiting 5 minutes for a bus or 20 minutes and then have 2 or 3 buses show at once.

While the M15 is an very busy route and certainly has it's issues the Bx12 SBS really needs to be looked at for possible improvement. What happens is that Inwood bound buses (I've been on plenty of them) fill up in Co-op City and then re-fill at every stop offering no relief from overcrowding. There is also non-stop bus bunching on Bx12 which means you could be waiting 5 minutes for a bus or 20 minutes and then have 2 or 3 buses show at once.

There is non-stop bunching on both the M15 and Bx12 SBS.

Speaking of Bx12 SBS, construction by Southern Blvd-Bronx Zoo has been relocated to Crotona Av. I wonder if MTA and DOT moved Southern Blvd SBS Machine to Crotona Av. If not, how they going to collect fare?

I wonder why (MTA) does not do ridership on (MTA) Bus Company and Long Island Bus?

Speaking of Bx12 SBS, construction by Southern Blvd-Bronx Zoo has been relocated to Crotona Av. I wonder if MTA and DOT moved Southern Blvd SBS Machine to Crotona Av. If not, how they going to collect fare?

I wonder why (MTA) does not do ridership on (MTA) Bus Company and Long Island Bus?

Not bad since it better serves the DMV and transfers from the Bx17 line. The only downside is for those who are coming from the Bx19. They would have to walk a little bit further.

Check again. None of the MTA Bus routes are mentioned.

Check again, checkmatechamp13.

The link I provided, check the bottom and look under MTA Bus Company; there's two links there for weekday ridership, and weekend ridership numbers. However, the rankings does not incorporate with NYCT Bus, if that's what you're referring to.

But then again, you can add and subtract a few numbers between the two lists and decide which is which.

Annual ridership for NYCT Bus: http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_bus_annual.htm

Annual ridership for MTA Bus: http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ridership_busco_annual.htm

Archived