End of Brighton Rehab = Large GO

Amtrak7

1) That is why the (B) may as well be a permanent Brighton Local with the (Q). When the (MTA) announced the suspension of express service two years ago, residents in my neighborhood of Sheepshead Bay started crying foul and demanded that the agency find alternative ways to complete the station repairs. Now two years later, many people along the Brighton Line say service is better with all trains running local. The main reason for that is crowding. When the (B) ran express, it was much more crowded than the (Q), but now both trains have the same general amount of riders.

Over the last 20 years, population on the Brighton Line has shifted to the point where many local stations, particularly Avenues U, M, J, and Cortelyou Road, are being used just as much, if not more, as the express stations. Having the (B) run local gave local riders direct access to Sixth Avenue even though most Brighton residents preferred Broadway service. The Brighton Express only saves 4-6 minutes and those minutes are effectively canceled out by the extra time needed to wait for a local or express train. If you want to know more about this, go to http://www.sheepsheadbites.com and read some of the MTA-related posts there. BrooklynBus and I follow this blogger.

2) Besides, only the Q has direct access to the (6) until the connection between Broadway-Lafayette Street and Bleecker Street opens. Speaking of which, does anything know when will that happen?

3) The only thing you are going to enjoy is watching an R68 (B) and R160 (Q) leaving an express station simultaneously and the Q accelerating quicker and leaving the B behind until it reaches the next local station. It happened all the time in my last semester at City Tech in Spring 2009 and will happen almost all the time since the Q is 100% R160s (that is the best thing to ever happen to that line) where as back then, it was a mix of R160s and R68/68As.

4) You would not have to ride the express bus if the IRT Nostrand Avenue Line was extended to where Kingsborough Community College is today as planned in the 1930s.

1) If the (B) and (Q) have uneven load problems, couldn't that be solved by just modifying the headways a bit, so the (B) gets a little bit of extra service.

And if the ridership has shifted to the local stations, doesn't that counteract your argument?

2) It will be soon. I think it's going to open by the beginning of 2012, but I'm not sure. In that case, the issue of the (B) not connecting to the (6) will be resolved (though admittedly, the (Q) does connect with the (4)(5) at Union Square, whereas the (B) still wouldn't connect to an express station)

3) The (B) being slower because of the R68s is a temporary issue, and shouldn't be a reason why express service is terminated on the line.

4) Well, I doubt Manhattan Beach would've wanted subway service even back then. Sheepshead Bay probably would've gone for it, though.

Could just extend (N) service to brighton beach too.

I'd thank you, but I read this thread too late. :(

Agreed! I find it very difficult to give approximate locations/directions to my friends at school as they barely know anything about street names even in our neighborhood. All locations are given in terms of stores, which I don't know most of.

I think the (L) GO may be postponed because of Irene, as there was an (L) busing Lorimer-Bway Jct scheduled for today.

Same here. I find it hard to describe the location of something that isn't near a landmark. You have to say something like "go past Walgreens for 2 blocks until the next big street, and then make a right and go a couple of more blocks, and then make a left onto _____" It would just be easier if you could say "Make a right on ____ and a left on _____"

And I have a lot of friends who don't even know how to tell time on an analog clock either (and they're all in honors classes).

Whether or not people want the (;) to remain as a local, personally, the (MTA) will most likely make it resume its Express service. The Brighton Line is known for its Express service for decades; on the same token, the Brighton Line is the most utilized Southern BMT Route.

Right but I'm surprised that there is no advisory saying something like this.

(;)

Express service resumes.

All Times beginning Monday September 12

No one ever promised it was resuming on Monday. It was presumed since the local track are is back open again and the hard rail corrected that it would resume. Remember they have to disable completely that temp platforms at both Kings Hwy and Ave J, and those took longer than a weekend to put up, they're gonna take longer than a weekend to take back down. There's also have to be some sort of track testing and correcting any possible issues on 3 track as well, since that hasn't been used in awhile. All that's definite is that it'll be back in December, as the new pick has its old express run time back. I find it shocking if from 12am tonight to 5am Monday they managed to do all of that.

Oh, and BTW, the (B) does not have slow trains.

i need help with two abbreviation that i couldnt make out. One was does G.O.? and the other is NTT?)from other thresd. thank for helping me in shorcut talk

GO = General Order = Any temporary change in subway service.

NTT = New Technology Train (R142/A, R143, R160)

Another Prospect-Stillwell shutdown is in order for the weekend of Oct 2. But there is also this GO, which renders the express bus useless:

(2) No trains between Franklin Av and Flatbush Av

Free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Oct 1 - 3 • Oct 8 - 10

LOL, a (2) and (Q) shutdown on the same weekend? This is gold. But hey, if I could possibly catch a LFS or LFSA on one of the shuttles, I'll be happy.

If what you want to see is lots of shuttle buses, try next weekend. (see my other thread)

If you want to see lots of confused passengers, well that would be a good one.

Being at the Junction would be better for me, since the (2) shuttle and (Q) Limited would both stop there.

I'm curious as to why the (Q) Limited shuttle will be stopping at the Junction that weekend, since the (2) won't be available that weekend; I think it'd be better off running straight from Kings Highway to Prospect Park via Ocean Av or something.

I know it sounds kinda crazy hoping to see a LFSA on a Brooklyn bustitution, but they were previously used on an (F) shutdown between Jay St and Church Ave.

(Video made by Q65LTD)

[Here's the thread he made about it, but none of the pictures are visible anymore, and he removed 2 other videos he posted).

So even if the odds of seeing a LFSA on a Brooklyn shuttle bus are definitely not in my favor, at least there's a precedent.

Looks like the MTA realized their mistake with the double busings. The (Q) GO for 10/2 has been pulled.

2 weekends from now is the exact opposite of what happened last weekend:

(Q) No trains between Prospect Park and 57 St-7 Av

(N)(R)(S) trains and free shuttle buses provide alternate service

Weekend, 12:01 AM Sat to 5 AM Mon, Sep 24 - 26

I would suppose so, seeing as how the (MTA) passed up the chance to have switches installed between Cortelyou Road and Newkirk Avenue Southbound.

One thing that puzzles me...

- The Coney Island-bound platforms at Avenue H and Avenue M were, if I'm not mistaken, closed for 9 months (January 2010 to September 2010)

- The Manhattan-bound platforms are/were closed for 12 months (September 2010 to September 2011)

At Avenue H at least, a big new stationhouse for the Coney Island bound-side was built from scratch during the 9 month closure.

Meanwhile, it seems like the (MTA) is just repairing the old stationhouse on the Manhattan-bound side, which apprearently requires a year to work on.

What gives? :P

Also, Flushing Express raised some good points about the Brighton Express. I'm probably a little biased due to the fact that my (:)-riding friends and I all use local stops, but I really wouldn't mind if the (:) stayed local permanently after the end of this project.

[the fact that the Brighton Express is using 75-footers really isn't helping, either]

EDIT: 500th Post! W00t!

i wouldnt mind the (B) on the local either. i love it when it stops on parkside Ave, that way i wont have to make an additional transfer from the (Q).

This type of irregularity has been happening to the Broadway Line after last year's service cuts because you have the (Q) merging with the (N), then separating from it for a few stops, then merging back in both directions, the (N) merging with the (R) at Prince Street, and the (Q) merging with the (R) at 34th Street-Herald Square. Makes me wonder what is the point of having the (Q) run express in Manhattan if it always get held at DeKalb Avenue, Prince Street, and 34th Street for 5+ minutes to let the (N) or (R) that it just bypassed go through first. The point of an express train is for it to run faster by skipping local trains, not skip a local train, then get held to let that same local train go through first. The (N) needs to run express in Manhattan again on weekdays so that it would remain on the same tracks with the (Q) from Astoria to DeKalb Avenue, therefore keeping service consistent. The (R) can handle the Broadway Local by itself as proven by people's obsession to always ride express trains even when they save no time.

agreed! i hate that.

@overclocked I saw one of those LFSA's on Sunday. It was in front of me but I got angry that the B/O did not run the bus limited like I wanted. He dropped of passengers somewhere at Ocean Avenue, and at Flatbush and Church Avenues when he was not supposed to. It bothered me because it took 5 minutes out of my trip and wanted to go midtown after that.

@overclocked I saw one of those LFSA's on Sunday. It was in front of me but I got angry that the B/O did not run the bus limited like I wanted. He dropped of passengers somewhere at Ocean Avenue, and at Flatbush and Church Avenues when he was not supposed to. It bothered me because it took 5 minutes out of my trip and wanted to go midtown after that.

I had to take Orion VII for the same reason, but I had to get limited since my trip was all the way from Brighton to Prospect Park.

Uh, how exactly is the express bus "useless"?? :mad: :tdown:

It could be that he meant the routing of the buses, not necessarily the express buses themselves. It doesn't make much sense to send the express buses to Flatbush and Nostrand when there isn't a train there to be a viable alternative. Like someone else stated, it would make much more sense if both the local and express buses simply ran down Ocean Ave through Brighton Beach.

Archived