M15 SBS running red lights?

Gorgor

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I can put my opinion on this,

When I was driving for NJT, I ran red lights. I ran lights maybe a second after the light changed. I can't stop a bus on a dime, especially when I have a full load. And, even in NJ, especially Hudson County, you gotta go man. Now, is it the right thing and safe thing to do: no. Yet, it has to be done. I'm no condoning it or cheering it. I understand if because I've done it. I had to do it to stay on time. The schedules that some B/O have when driving in some of the most congested areas of NY or NJ is so bad, that there is little time for any mistakes - those being being late. Now, I got paid for being late since NJT always believed better to be late than early (as long as it wasn't insanely late) but still, there's over a thousand drivers out there daily that tries to do their job - driving a bus, working at a office, teaching, cooking, whatever, that has to take a shortcut or do something to get an advantage to get the job done. That's the way life is sometimes. And while it's not safe to do that at times, I think that if the person knows what they're doing and know the consequences for doing it and can do it while paying attention, I'd say what's the harm?

Oh, and I'll take Help Me Howard. LOL

EDIT - BTW - I didn't take these short cuts when I was driving School Buses, so before someone says a comment about me when I was driving school buses, there is a big difference between carrying adults and children. Children, I made sure I took extra precautions. Adults, well, it is what it is.

Well, on a low frequency line, being early can mean missing passengers, whereas being late, you just get a little more crowded.

If there are buses on all 4 sides, the ones that already have the light can go, and once they pass through, the ones on the cross street can go.

But I disagree with him not from a logical perspective, but from a cost perspective. There are routes that just don't have the ridership (or the number of traffic lights) to make it worth installing TSP. But there's nothing wrong with trying to speed buses up.

There are times when I just don't see how a bus can be that late. I remember on the S44, I caught the 16:15 bus from St. George (the ferry came too late for the 16:00 bus to get the passengers), and by Clove Road, the 16:30 S94 buses had passed us. That basically means that he finished his run close to 20 minutes late.

I mean he was crowded, but I just don't see how that crowding added 20 minutes to the trip.

How about Greg Mocker? :P

ok that makes sense thanks for a civilized answer

If I can put my opinion on this,

When I was driving for NJT, I ran red lights. I ran lights maybe a second after the light changed. I can't stop a bus on a dime, especially when I have a full load. And, even in NJ, especially Hudson County, you gotta go man. Now, is it the right thing and safe thing to do: no. Yet, it has to be done. I'm no condoning it or cheering it. I understand if because I've done it. I had to do it to stay on time. The schedules that some B/O have when driving in some of the most congested areas of NY or NJ is so bad, that there is little time for any mistakes - those being being late. Now, I got paid for being late since NJT always believed better to be late than early (as long as it wasn't insanely late) but still, there's over a thousand drivers out there daily that tries to do their job - driving a bus, working at a office, teaching, cooking, whatever, that has to take a shortcut or do something to get an advantage to get the job done. That's the way life is sometimes. And while it's not safe to do that at times, I think that if the person knows what they're doing and know the consequences for doing it and can do it while paying attention, I'd say what's the harm?

Oh, and I'll take Help Me Howard. LOL

Thats all you ppl needed to say makes perfect sense buses can't stop in 5 seconds. But going as far as calling someone garbage is taking it too far not directed at u polka

*Calls him*....expect a call Monday AM from him :P lol

I don't expect him to come to Pittsburgh. LOL

Thats all you ppl needed to say makes perfect sense buses can't stop in 5 seconds. But going as far as calling someone garbage is taking it too far not directed at u polka

It's JOKA. Get it straight, home-slice.

Ok, just want to clarify something.

I completely understand that if the bus is going 30mph and the light starts to change up ahead the bus might have to run the red and then slow down to stop at the next light.

What I'm talking about is the bus just pulled out of the stop, going about 5mph, the light started to change up ahead, and then she just floored it and blatantly passed the red light about 2 seconds after it changed. That's the problem.

All buses run red lights, I do it eveyday. Its either stop at the light or get in trouble for being late. Red lights ARE NOT BUILT INTO OUR SCHEDULES. If you stop at all of them you see how late we are.

True story, that running red lights are not built into the schedules, and you have to make a split-second decision and whether to run it and not get rear-ended and not having an "onboard" or slam brakes and risk those two factors I mentioned.

Unfortunately, at TA, they preach to drive safely as we're getting paid. If you fall back so much into the schedule that not even Jesus can make the time back, then let the dispatchers do their job and put you in place once you're finished the run.

Safety is at the top of their goals pyramid.

What I'm talking about is the bus just pulled out of the stop, going about 5mph, the light started to change up ahead, and then she just floored it and blatantly passed the red light about 2 seconds after it changed. That's the problem.

OK, we can all throw guesses about what the operator did, but no one really knows whats what. Let's leave it at that. If that operator is doing it often enough, it'll be one time with a beekie onboard, and she's fucced. lol Or you can complain to Transit, which is something I would advise against because operators already have enough to deal with on shift.

Your choice.

my bad no need to yell I guess we are having comedy moment now about buses running red lights you do that

Yes a comedy moment. Just like most of your posts

Ok, just want to clarify something.

I completely understand that if the bus is going 30mph and the light starts to change up ahead the bus might have to run the red and then slow down to stop at the next light.

Uh, I see we still haven't known our roles and shut our mouths. Drivers run red lights everyday. Big damn deal. No one is saying the driver is a hero. Did the cops follow the bus and give the driver a ticket? I'm sure you'd love that. You know what, since I'm in a WWE attitude mode, since you miss your X90, why don't you take the MCI, shine it up real nice, keep shining it, turn that sumbitch sideways and stick it straight up your candy ass!

Speaking of the M15SBS, I took it once I got off of the ferry this morning because the (4) and (5) according to the (MTA) website was f*cked up Downtown and the X1 and X10 were f*cked up as well, so it was pretty good. Seems like they have them timed well to meet the boats, which is nice and it was 5 minutes even with a wheelchair at one stop. My only complaint is that they need more machines. They should have 4 of those Metrocard machines at really busy stops. I mean people become savages when they want to catch the bus and start shoving their Metrocards in your face because they want to get a ticket before the bus leaves and they can't wait for you to finish. I was in a good mood, otherwise I probably would've said something snarky to the guy, but I realize that he just wanted to get on, so I let it go.

Uh, I see we still haven't known our roles and shut our mouths. Drivers run red lights everyday. Big damn deal. No one is saying the driver is a hero. Did the cops follow the bus and give the driver a ticket? I'm sure you'd love that. You know what, since I'm in a WWE attitude mode, since you miss your X90, why don't you take the MCI, shine it up real nice, keep shining it, turn that sumbitch sideways and stick it straight up your candy ass!

I guarantee you that if it was a cab who just picked up a passenger, and then floored it right after the light had turned red you would not be defending his actions at all. The attitude here is just sickening. To you guys bus drivers are above the law and whatever they do is the right thing. Next time any minor infraction happens I'll be sure to take my phone out, record it, send it to NY1, and then file a complaint against the driver.

I guarantee you that if it was a cab who just picked up a passenger, and then floored it right after the light had turned red you would not be defending his actions at all. The attitude here is just sickening. To you guys bus drivers are above the law and whatever they do is the right thing. Next time any minor infraction happens I'll be sure to take my phone out, record it, send it to NY1, and then file a complaint against the driver.

Do that then. Blah, blah, blah

You guys are acting like 11-year olds which is the main reason why many of these threads get locked.

Can we be at least civil about the discussion without being brats? I don't know about many of you, but I enjoy reading debates without the kiddie "back-and-forth" atmosphere.

But, back to the topic: just let the operator get in trouble on his own. If he/she is operating unsafely, one of these days, like I said, a beekie will be onboard and their screwed.

The agency gives the ticket to the employee to pay, with an added on bonus of suspension for running the red.

LOL... I was on an X30 once and he pulled in to let us off on 5th & 42nd and as I was crossing the street to walk down 5th. it looked like he was stopped for something by the cops. Was kind of weird... He was back driving though the next day. Also saw another X30 driver take off the mirror of a smaller commuter van by the Port Authority and we had to get out and I just walked the rest of the way. He was back the next day too.

Well I agree with you about the whole attitude thing, but I also agree with the others in that running red lights are common. I don't care about that quite frankly; in fact I'd like more of them to be a bit more aggresive on that end :eek:, but what annoys me is the constant stopping and jerking to the point to where passengers are almost injured or thrown to the floor because of it. I had that happen with me where I was jerked all around and you better believe that I gave the B/O an earful when I got off with a few explectives added in. We didn't get off to a good start to begin with because he damn there drove off while I was standing there at the bus waiting for him to open the door. So I went and banged on the door as if to say WTF? He got pissed off because I banged the door hard, but I was pissed because it's like as big as I am at 6'4" you don't f*cking see me? So he goes "You always bang the door like that?" as if I was banging it for no good reason, meanwhile he's sitting there w/the damn door closed as if he's ready to take off w/the light changes and there's not another bus for another 30 minutes, and I responded in a snarky tone with something like "Well if you would've opened the door then I wouldn't have had to have banged on the door" and then he threw back some explectives to me and that's when the whole exchange really got heated. This was on an S54 and it was only one other lady on the bus, so quite frankly neither of us cared what she thought. lol The convo ended with me telling him that he drove like a piece of sh*t and that I would have his job and with him telling me to go f*ck myself. Suffice it to say that in this case I did file a report and I never saw him again either.

I have gotten into it w/ other B/Os before and I usually don't bother to file anything because I air it out with them in person, but he really was a d*ck. I wonder if that other lady filed a report too. lol I'm getting too old to be arguing though so I don't say anything anymore unless they're snarky w/me. If they speak to me then I'll speak to them and if they're cool w/me then I'm cool but the others I don't f*ck with them, this way it's easier to avoid conflict.

Ok, why in the hell is this such a big deal? No one got hurt and no one has gotten into trouble. Besides, the SBS is supposed to be a fast bus service and whoever was on that bus probably got to their destination just a little bit faster as a result of this and if they didn't, then so what? This is such a non issue.

I don't know about many of you, but I enjoy reading debates without the kiddie "back-and-forth" atmosphere.

Problem with that is.... There is no actual debate here.

The nature of the replies the threadstarter's receiving is equally proportional to the nitpickiness of the original post.... you get back what you give....

Ok, why in the hell is this such a big deal? No one got hurt and no one has gotten into trouble. Besides, the SBS is supposed to be a fast bus service and whoever was on that bus probably got to their destination just a little bit faster as a result of this and if they didn't, then so what? This is such a non issue.

Sentiments shared.

The attitude here is just sickening. To you guys bus drivers are above the law and whatever they do is the right thing.

Your attitude ain't much better. You have zero idea what it takes to run any kind of schedule in this city. Regardless of what boro you drive in, if you don't lie,cheat and steal a bit you will never get anywhere close to ontime. What they teach in training is a good foundation for driving a bus, but until you are out here hour after hour,day after day,year after frigging year then you have NO clue. There are a non B/Os on here that understand what we do which is why they defend what we do.

Next time any minor infraction happens I'll be sure to take my phone out, record it, send it to NY1, and then file a complaint against the driver.

Ever hear that phase "Snitches get stitches"? Well in the bus game, snitches get passed up. Believe me we can usually figure out who the dissenter in the group is and we can make life pretty unpleasent for the rest of the pick. This whole thing is a non-event....not even worth starting a thread about. (MTA) B/Os have to push and shove every day....I could snitch on the Yonkers and Eastchester guys for being in the left lanes on the Deegan and Bruckner BUT I know they are trying to make their turn arounds....to get ungrateful people like YOU to work/home on time.

Oh and by the way......B/Os are the equivalent of Transit Gods! You will bow to us!:)

Your attitude ain't much better. You have zero idea what it takes to run any kind of schedule in this city. Regardless of what boro you drive in, if you don't lie,cheat and steal a bit you will never get anywhere close to ontime. What they teach in training is a good foundation for driving a bus, but until you are out here hour after hour,day after day,year after frigging year then you have NO clue. There are a non B/Os on here that understand what we do which is why they defend what we do.

Ever hear that phase "Snitches get stitches"? Well in the bus game, snitches get passed up. Believe me we can usually figure out who the dissenter in the group is and we can make life pretty unpleasent for the rest of the pick. This whole thing is a non-event....not even worth starting a thread about. (MTA) B/Os have to push and shove every day....I could snitch on the Yonkers and Eastchester guys for being in the left lanes on the Deegan and Bruckner BUT I know they are trying to make their turn arounds....to get ungrateful people like YOU to work/home on time.

Oh and by the way......B/Os are the equivalent of Transit Gods! You will bow to us!:)

Yes bow before the transit gods I bow to the planning staff at regional transit NYC I admit I am more inclined to use trains hence why I lack proper knowledge of the bus network by the rtes. I came back from buffalo love their newflyers at NFTA

Gorgor is the only one who actually gives a flying **** about running red lights arguing with a snob is beyond pointless ppl.

Archived