Subway - What If?

VWM

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would probably just crash into the platform edge.

Well I mean in *theory* you could put it on the middle track and run it as far as 242 in the north, or Dyckman in the south. Then you avoid platform edges until....scrunch. 

• 4 months later...

Could not find this thread earlier when I started a new one (thinking this was gone forever) because of this, posted by Trainmaster5 in "Blame The Assengers Too:"

I'm going to leave this here and wait for the responses. Friday evening and a deceased person is discovered on a n/b express at 86th Street Lexington. P.M. rush hour. NYC protocol says to wait for the coroner's truck to arrive at the scene to investigate. Naturally you railfans and the regular passengers don't want that to happen because ALL n/b Lexington express service would shutdown. Would you rather have the body removed from the scene ASAP or wait until the coroner's truck arrives? Should the body be removed from the train and secluded somewhere in the station? I'm describing a true incident. I was heading s/b and picked up a TSS at 125th Street and took him to the scene. He told me that there was only one coroner's truck on duty in upper Manhattan on a Friday night and a wait of 2 or 3 hours was anticipated. How would you clear up the delay? I'm curious to see the responses. I'll let you know what happened in a little while. Carry on.

I wrote there:

Since 86th Street happens to be a two-level station, if possible what I would do is close off the express level entirely and deal with the  (4)  (5) and  (6) all running local in both directions, sending as many  (5) trains as possible via 7th Avenue to cut down on the number of trains overall there. 

Apologies for starting the new thread of this for reasons noted above.

What if ALL Old Technology Trains retired early (R 62-R68A) and we're replaced by (IDK) R205's R205A's, R211's and R217s (ALL CBTC equipped) and if every line had CBTC including a Second Avenue line going to the Bronx replacing Dyre Avenue, the Southern part of Nassau Street (Fulton Center) and connected to Montague and the transit museum continuing local til Euclid

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Since we have several new people who never saw this thread before, I figured I should quote the original post of this thread (from 2011) that explained the guidelines:

Here's a new idea- a what if thread.
It's basically saying what if... a new service had to happen, constuction, ect. And you get to answer with your ideas (or facts, if you want to)
RULES:
No Fantasy Lines.
Limited Foaming.

I'll start it off.
What if....
the south side of the Manhattan Bridge get repairs done to it?
With the (cool.png(D)(F)(M), i don't know if 6 av can handle five lines...

WOWZA 

I mean at that point, why don't we just shut the b div to fix all those things...

Lemme take a stab at this 

Assuming the derailed (F) isn't blocking the crossover to 2nd ave, and the struck passenger is at 59 NRW....

(A) normal route with the above-mentioned local section 

(B) Bedford Park-34th st. 

(C) normal 

(D) Norwood-2nd ave (F) (local south of 42nd) , Coney Island to Atlantic Ave. 

(E) suspended

(F) 96th street-Jay st, using the crossover at York to turn, Church Ave (or 4th ave-9th sts if you'll let me) - Coney Island. Shuttle buses between Jay and Church. 

(G) Court Square-Bergen st, using the switch just beyond the station to lay up.

(J) Jamaica Center to Broadway Junction, Marcy avenue to Broad st w/ shuttle buses to fill the gap 

(L) normal

(M) suspended

(N) Ditmars-Queensboro plaza, Coney Island-Atlantic Ave. 

(Q) Coney Island-Prospect Park, 96th st-Whitehall/Jay sts. 

(R) 95th st to 59th st single track shuttles + supplimentary bus service.

(W) Jay st-57th st via local. 

Additional bus service runs from 59th st (bk) up fourth ave to Court St. (R), or over Manhattan Bridge to Canal St (Q)(W) / Broadway Lafayette (D)(F)

HOARDES of buses up/down queens boulevard, all (7) trains local, LIRR cross honoring. 

The Queens Blvd Line is fully shut down all the way from 50 St to 179 St. Also an  (F)  train derailed at Lex-63 St. There are signal problems at WTC layup. There is a power outage at Dekalb Av. Also, a  (J) and  (M) collided with each other just east of Myrtle Av.  (A) trains are running local between Canal St and 59 St due to construction. A passenger got struck by a train at 59 St. There is no Culver Line service between Bergen St and Church Av due to strong winds at Smith-9 St. How would you reroute  (E)  (F)  (M)  (R) service? :rock:

Try and figure out which 59 St I'm referring to....

Assuming the signal problems halt service, and the 59th St is Lex-59th, and the QBL power outage doesn't affect the switches west of Northern Blvd;

(B) Limited rush hour service between West 4th and Bedford Park Blvd only

(E) Canal St - Northern Blvd via QBL Local

(F) Coney Island - Church Ave, Bergen - 23rd St Ely Ave via 53rd St

(G) Bergen - Court Sq

(J) Two sections: Marcy Ave - Broad St, Broadway Jct - Jamaica

(M) Between Metropolitan Ave and Myrtle Ave, and between 74th - Roosevelt and Jamaica-179th

(S) Shuttle buses between Myrtle-Wyckoff and Marcy Ave following the (M), and between Myrtle Ave and Broadway Jct

(N) via 2nd Ave to 96th St as terminus

(Q) Between Coney Island and Prospect Park, with single tracked trains between Prospect Park and Atlantic Ave at 3-4 TPH

(R) to 2nd Ave and between 74th - Roosevelt and Jamaica-Parsons

(S) Shuttle train between Queensboro Plaza and Astoria

Edited by DailyDose

B and D trains run up 2nd Ave and Q trains run via B in manhattan. A and D shuttles local from terminals to 145.

A runs via E to Queens Plaza, local to Jamaica/179. Some F trains run express the whole way in Queens. C train cancelled, E replaces C in Brooklyn. (Some C sets run E trains.)

W cancelled. N and R terminate at 57th. Shuttle from Queensboro Plaza to Astoria.

Some 5 trains via 7th Avenue to increase west side service.

if the F from 63rd to Queens is also out, some F via G running local in Queens all the way to 179th and A running express in Queens, with some F trains terminating at 63rd northbound.

Did I forget anything?

Smoke condition at Lexington Avenue/63 Street prevents train traffic from safely going through the station on both levels.

The Manhattan segment of the (L) is shut down for repairs. The (M) is crucial for shuttling Canarsie passengers between Brooklyn and Manhattan. The (F) is express during rush hours in Brooklyn to accommodate increased (G) local service.

(F) Stillwell Avenue - 57 Street

(G) Jamaica-179th - Church Ave (Express on QBL)

(Q) Stillwell Avenue - 57 Street

Buses:

Roosevelt Island - Court Square, stopping at 21st St - Queensbridge

Increased (E) service (if possible), with some (E) trains running express on 8th Avenue if needed, and some terminating at Jamaica - 179th

Let us say that the Queensbridge apartment complex next to 21st Street - Queensbridge erupts in flames due to a serious gas leak, sending smoke and ash through the Queensbridge stop. Jamaica and Manhattan bound R46 (F) trains are delayed in both directions within the 63rd Street tube due to the massive fire at the height of the morning weekday rush hour around 8:20. How would the (E), (F), (M) and (R) trains be rerouted in this scenario?

Assuming this does not include stations:

Northbound (A) trains terminate at 34 St-Penn Station

(A) shuttle service runs between 207 St-168 St

(B)(C) service suspended

Northbound (D) service rerouted to 96 St-2 Av

(D) shuttle service runs between Norwood-205 to 161 St-Yankee Stadium

(F) trains run via 53 St

(M) trains terminate at Broad St via Nassau St

(N) trains run in two sections:

1. Ditmars to Queensboro

2. 57 St-7 Av to Coney Island via Broadway/4 Av Local

Northbound (Q) trains terminate at Whitehall St

Northbound (R) service terminates at 59 St-4 Av

(W) service is suspended

Free shuttle buses run between:

1. 168 St-34 St-Penn Station via local on CPW and 8 Av

2. 161 St-Yankee Stad. to 47-50 Sts via express on CPW

3. Queensboro Plaza to 57 St-7 Av

this would best be resolved through interagency cooperation, assuming the MTA is willing to utilize Metro North service to get customers to their Bronx-based destinations. This would barely cover (B)(D) customers, though, and they'd have to walk a few city blocks to finish their trip.

If I may ask, what is CPW? A highway, or another abbreviation I should know but don't?

Eric Shields | MassTransitHonchkrow

Proud EasyPay Express Unlimited Customer - PPR mode

Level 5 Google Local Guide for Southern NY State

Check out my photography, DeskThemePacks and more -

https://masstransithonchkrow.deviantart.com/gallery

Sent from my HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC using Tapatalk using Remix OS

this would best be resolved through interagency cooperation, assuming the MTA is willing to utilize Metro North service to get customers to their Bronx-based destinations. This would barely cover (B)(D) customers, though, and they'd have to walk a few city blocks to finish their trip.

If I may ask, what is CPW? A highway, or another abbreviation I should know but don't?

CPW means Central Park West.

The segment basically from 59st to 125st and/or 145th as well, on the (A)(B)(C)(D) lines.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Edited by danielhg121

CPW means Central Park West.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

God I feel dumb.

Let us say that the Queensbridge apartment complex next to 21st Street - Queensbridge erupts in flames due to a serious gas leak, sending smoke and ash through the Queensbridge stop. Jamaica and Manhattan bound R46 (F) trains are delayed in both directions within the 63rd Street tube due to the massive fire at the height of the morning weekday rush hour around 8:20. How would the (E), (F), (M) and (R) trains be rerouted in this scenario?

(F) 57th - Coney Island

(G) Jamaica-179th - Church

some (M) run express on QBL, terminate at 179th

those (F) already in service in Queens can run via 53rd or crosstown

(E) unchanged

(F) via 53rd Street

(M) runs to 57th Street-6th Avenue and terminates there (if necessary continuing to 96th Street-2nd Avenue)

(R) is unaffected.

If I were the CEO of the MTA I would scrap that 125 St crosstown thing COMPLETELY, I would just have it go to the Bronx with bellmouths leading to 3 Av

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

If I may ask, what is a "bellmouth"?

I might have made a similar suggestion under the proposals thread, in which instead of nestling the last stop on SAS under 125th Street (which I feel is reckless given how deep it already is), to spurn a third track toward 3rd Avenue - 138th Street [Mott Haven]. It could supplement or replace <6> service, although the platforms might not have the width to handle a R160-sized girth.

Steering this back to where it's supposed to be:

A lightning bolt strike causes the switches at Broadway Junction to be in position where all trains on the Broadway-Brooklyn line have to go over the flyover and to the Canarsie line east of Broadway Junction (and likewise, trains on the Canarsie EL "south" of Broadway Junction must go to the Broadway-Brooklyn line after Atlantic Avenue).  The same storm knocked out power to the Canarsie line around Wilson Avenue.

At the same time, that same storm creates more switching issues as the switch "south" of Broadway-Lafayette on the southbound "local" track is stuck where all trains MUST go to Essex Street on the Nassau/Broadway-Brooklyn line (the northbound side is unaffected). 

There also is an issue at DeKalb Avenue where trains from the Bridge MUST run on the Bypass track or go via the tunnel from Manhattan due to switching issues from the Bridge while to Manhattan, there is a rail issue at DeKalb on the Bypass track so all trains going via the Bridge must stop there.  

Reroute as needed.  

Edited by Wallyhorse

Steering this back to where it's supposed to be:

A lightning bolt strike causes the switches at Broadway Junction to be in position where all trains on the Broadway-Brooklyn line have to go over the flyover and to the Canarsie line east of Broadway Junction (and likewise, trains on the Canarsie EL "south" of Broadway Junction must go to the Broadway-Brooklyn line after Atlantic Avenue).  The same storm knocked out power to the Canarsie line around Wilson Avenue.

At the same time, that same storm creates more switching issues as the switch "south" of Broadway-Lafayette on the southbound "local" track is stuck where all trains MUST go to Essex Street on the Nassau/Broadway-Brooklyn line (the northbound side is unaffected). 

There also is an issue at DeKalb Avenue where trains from the Bridge MUST run on the Bypass track or go via the tunnel from Manhattan due to switching issues from the Bridge while to Manhattan, there is a rail issue at DeKalb on the Bypass track so all trains going via the Bridge must stop there.  

Reroute as needed.  

Playing Thor, huh?

I’d just put my hands up and ask, “that’s too many coincidences; alright, who’s screwing with the Matrix again? And how do I get out of this crap?”

Edited by CenSin