Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

people from the 80s to 150's who went in for preemployment on October 2,3 and 4th may not receive a call for a while since it appears the 10/22 class is filled. The next class isn't until 11/12 (as the so-called reliable sources have said)...so maybe not till the last week of October/first week of November.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok maybe its been brought up here before...but for us newbies whats a list from the Vets out there to the best trains to work with?? I really did like the R17 SMEE Equip... I loved the braking it was cool getting a feel for the grab point then release then grab again.. would take some practice making station stops tho =P....how does SMEE compare to the NTT trains R142 & R160 as far as braking??

Called Employment today and the lady that answered said they have appointed 7.......7 people? Are they way off or what the heck is going on. 7 people out of, seems to be low 300's going for pre-employment and up to at least 100 or so for the 2nd physical.... WOW!!!!! Come on low, low low, 400's!!!!!

Called Employment today and the lady that answered said they have appointed 7.......7 people? Are they way off or what the heck is going on. 7 people out of, seems to be low 300's going for pre-employment and up to at least 100 or so for the 2nd physical.... WOW!!!!! Come on low, low low, 400's!!!!!

I would take this info you received with a grain of salt. Some people will tell you anything to get you off the phone. When I did my final processing there were about 9 other people there for the same thing and most were appointed. The class starts on Monday and its supposed to be 40 people so I doubt it would start with only 7 of us. Not trying to discourage you or anything. If I arrive at orientation on Monday and there is only 7 of us there I will definetly let you guys know.

Edited by Success7

She might have meant last person appointed was in the 70's... and more than likely the class that starts next Monday has thier 40 students.

Edited by elantra06

She might have meant last person appointed was in the 70's...

Haha, no I asked. I was shocked and she said, that is all they have appointed. Success7 seems to be accurate. I am sure they are getting many calls about this list and they are tired of answering them. She did say that my number would be in the next batch to come out.... but we will see....

Wow. I kind of figured there would be a higher percentage of people taking the job. With the way the job market is right now and all. Pretty sure like myself a lot of us were hoping to get called on these three classes. Hopeefully that post is true about another 120 T/O positions in the first Quaternary of 2013. If any of our future seniors can confirm it would be appreciated...

I would take this info you received with a grain of salt. Some people will tell you anything to get you off the phone. When I did my final processing there were about 9 other people there for the same thing and most were appointed. The class starts on Monday and its supposed to be 40 people so I doubt it would start with only 7 of us. Not trying to discourage you or anything. If I arrive at orientation on Monday and there is only 7 of us there I will definetly let you guys know.

Let us know where they send you or if you get to choose...

I have a question for the veterans on the job. IF and only IF, we were given the option to choose which Division we would like to be in next week, which would you guys say is better? I live in Upper Manhattan and I heard the A Div is better for people who live in manhattan and the Bronx. Does it even really matter since I will be extra anyway and they can send me to any boro to work on any given day? I'm just curious cuz since I live in upper manhattan I'm leaning towards A Div but I don't want to limit myself if it isn't needed. I want to learn both divisions.

In Upper Manhattan, you are probably better off in the A Division, the numbered lines. Reporting locations will mostly be in the Bronx. Then there is also Main St, Flushing Qns, Flatbush, Utica, New Lots in Brooklyn. The B Division, as others have mentioned on the forums, is a huge world of reporting locations far into Queens and Brooklyn. Being Extra, you'll still only be sent to those locations in your division, just so we're clear.

If I live four stops from Stillwell Ave .and choose the B division, they might send me somewhere else as extra extra? Do we get paid for travel time?

I have my first meeting on Friday. Do I have to bring in my HS diploma? Thats what the letter in the mail said. Also, when they give me a booklet, do I have to fill out that 21 page booklet there?

From the application it says 91.50 will be deducted from your first paycheck for testing fees :D

Edited by Dahon5

I would think the title of the position you are applying for.....YES you have to bring in your high school diploma, and anything else proving that you meet the pre-requisites for the title. You should have a week or so to get the booklet filled out. Don't procrastinate, because it may take a while to gather all of the info you need. That $92 fee is for fingerprinting, which gets reviewed by the FBI. It's pretty much the only thing that you'll ever have to pay for out of pocket here - all equipment, books and uniforms are provided.

Yes, they can and will send you ANYWHERE in your division even if it is on the other end of the city. While the crew office does make some effort to keep you close to home, the needs of the system take priority. You do not get paid for travel time to/from work, however, you will get paid deadhead time if you finish at a different terminal from where you started (including if you're on the board and pick up a job somewhere else).

Thanks man. Just knowing all these rules, sick time, pension, holiday pay, deadhead time, extra, extra, OT pay. There's a lot of info here to know. I never had a job like this :o If I'm at about 300 on the list, do you think I'll get called for December class, if I pass medical and background?

Edited by Dahon5

coyg, how low in the 300's are you? I'm in the 300 teens and haven't gotten a letter yet. Anyone know the highest number they've called so far?

<315 -- Going in tomorrow. Thank me if you get called since I'm declining ;)

all this waiting to come in for my medical is nerve wracking...I live right by the training school in Brooklyn, its only like four blocks away from my house...Do we spent most time there during training?

You spend most of your time out in the field you spend some time there.

Obviously ppl have mentioned do not tell or put on paper u snore haha..but I remember sum1 mentioning they ask if u consume alcohol and remember the person saying "You all know how to answer that" does that mean u say yes or no?? I mean I think we all snore and would have put yes and I would be on medical leave :/