Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of you candidates are mentioning the urine test, 21-page -booklet, & medical exam. I am aware that fingerprints were taken. BUT WHEN??? When you first went down, for the urine test & 21-page-booklet? Or, the second visit? Can someone please answer this. Thank you................

Let's see how many people pass PROBATION. That's the hard part. 19 out of 20 passed schoolcar from my class, but 3 more lost their jobs in the period between schoolcar and the 2nd year, and one more who got their probation extended and might not make it through either.

Good Point Snowblock since they are from the OC List they have no other title to fall back on but the door... Meaning Out the door...

Seen a guy crying at WDL when we 1st started(he knew he was gone). He overran a station and got "gun shy" and was coming into stations after taking a full service break and going two points of power to the ten car marker. Always late im talking 10 15 minutes late on the 4 Line?? So a TSS rode him to Utica once he did the same thing the TSS ordered him to get out of the seat took over operations back to WDL.

He was "asked" to resign the next day...

REAL Talk folks real talk....

Good Point Snowblock since they are from the OC List they have no other title to fall back on but the door... Meaning Out the door...

Seen a guy crying at WDL when we 1st started(he knew he was gone). He overran a station and got "gun shy" and was coming into stations after taking a full service break and going two points of power to the ten car marker. Always late im talking 10 15 minutes late on the 4 Line?? So a TSS rode him to Utica once he did the same thing the TSS ordered him to get out of the seat took over operations back to WDL.

He was "asked" to resign the next day...

REAL Talk folks real talk....

:)

Why can't we keep things positive...It seems like you transit guys are going out of your way to intimidate us ignorant folks. We're all happy to be in the position we are and looking forward to starting this job. Practice makes perfect. Everything in this world is a trainable action. Just pay attention in school car and always ask questions. if you don't understand something, ask, even if you think you look stupid asking that particular question. If they thought it was too hard of a job to master they wouldn't allow you into school car without any previous knowledge of the job at hand. This is coming from a journalist who decided to give this test a shot. We will be coming from all walks of life. A little common sense and a tough mental attitude will carry you a long way. Also when working for transit, remember you will occasionally clash with some people who are not all are classy individuals. Yes sir, yes ma'am will get you a long way. don't give them lip because they love that. They love to feel more important than they are and would love nothing more than to screw you over. This coming from three generations of transit workers across more than seven family members.

I swore when i was little, that i would never work for transit, but here I am. funny how things work out when you get older. I must have taken five different white collar-type civil service tests and all the lists stalled on me because of the economy, except this one.

PS, this dude is about to jump from space!! why is TV not covering this is beyond me, its live on YT

Seems to me that some folks on here are the ones you should avoid in the break room. Yeah you hear some good things and info as well. But you also hear, what I call intimidation talk. I was told by my Uncle.... a 30 year man. Don't listen to the guys on those threads. Don't be intimidated, when you get called pay attention in training. And when you go out just do your job. We are all grown here, when the stories start flying, I have learned take it with a grain of salt. Hopefully everyone else here does too. When I hear talk like this I just understand it is mostly folks that wanna get you worried and second guessing yourself. It's a real job... If you don't know what to expect from a real job then do yourself a favor and get your training and do your job. That is it.....Stories are stories, I have been in the workforce long enough to know what to feed into and what not to. I hope the ones that haven't don't buy into it. PS I haven't worked for the MTA but I have been around long enough to smell bs and I smell nothing but intimidation bs. Good luck guys, just learn and do your jobs!

You know, only once has someone in real life "recognized" me from these forums. Just once. 99% of TA workers don't read these forums or know of their existence. I have a reputation on the job, but not because of these forums.

Edited by Donald

I was a Longshoreman for 10 years and within the first year I was taught, the guys that talk the most are the guys you don't want to listen to. Makes me wonder why are they talking here? I am sure it is because the guys in the break room would call them out on the crap coming out and they can't help but be heard. We will all find out our experiences and we will all learn our own stories. What separates us form the folks that nobody wants to hear is the matter of sharing them. Keep it to yourself if you don't have positive notes. I for one like to call out bs when I hear it...... If they had any merit anonymous wouldn't be the way. Give your name and we can call you on merit... But that won't happen, they need to live anonymously!

Edited by Gherigfan1

I'm in the low 150s - took my urine test on 10/3 - I hope I'll get called back soon for medical/final processing. Should I be concerned that I haven't gotten that call yet?

Don't be too concerned yet, I did my final processing on Friday and from the list of people that was supposed to show up that I saw, they were all in the 60's and 70's. The second class is supposed to be Nov. 12th so if it gets close to that time and you haven't received a call then I would give them a call personally. I was told on friday I will be starting october 22nd so thats about a one week notice. Good Luck

I'm in the low 150s - took my urine test on 10/3 - I hope I'll get called back soon for medical/final processing. Should I be concerned that I haven't gotten that call yet?

I'm in the mid 140's. I did my urine test on 10/2. I havn't gotten a call yet to come back for the medical/final processing so don't be too worried. We may get our calls this week. If I get thru the medical I am already expecting to be placed in the 11/12 class.

Edited by elantra06

I got a letter in the mail. I'm below 300. I was wondering what happens during the medical test? I guess they do a reg physical, eye and hearing test? Do they do a blood and urine test on the same day? Is there some test on your mental well being? :) I saw the salary figure and it came as a surprise to me. What is top pay for a TO? I thought it would be a few dollars lower. What happens after I pass the 1st physical at Livingston st in Brooklyn? Someone said we have to wait 6 months? If all goes well, I'll be in school car for 6 months? If I pass school car, I'll be on the road on probation for 6 months? For the first 6 months I'll be on standby (oncall) and I'll have to work long hours and weekends?

Forget about my questions, I think most answer are found here. http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-york-city/703253-took-mta-train-operator-exam-got-34.html

Edited by Dahon5

Top pay is $32 an hour. No, your not "on call." You can be on board, which is totally different.

If top pay is 32 an hour, there's very little difference than what they are offering me to start :( Shift differential is 1.49 to work nights?

How much do Train Dispatchers or Train Service Supervisors make? Do they make much more?

Edited by Dahon5

You know, only once has someone in real life "recognized" me from these forums. Just once. 99% of TA workers don't read these forums or know of their existence. I have a reputation on the job, but not because of these forums.

Your Name & pic are floating around in a few places, and definitely not for anything positive.

:)

Why can't we keep things positive...It seems like you transit guys are going out of your way to intimidate us ignorant folks. We're all happy to be in the position we are and looking forward to starting this job. Practice makes perfect. Everything in this world is a trainable action. Just pay attention in school car and always ask questions. if you don't understand something, ask, even if you think you look stupid asking that particular question. If they thought it was too hard of a job to master they wouldn't allow you into school car without any previous knowledge of the job at hand. This is coming from a journalist who decided to give this test a shot. We will be coming from all walks of life. A little common sense and a tough mental attitude will carry you a long way. Also when working for transit, remember you will occasionally clash with some people who are not all are classy individuals. Yes sir, yes ma'am will get you a long way. don't give them lip because they love that. They love to feel more important than they are and would love nothing more than to screw you over. This coming from three generations of transit workers across more than seven family members.

I swore when i was little, that i would never work for transit, but here I am. funny how things work out when you get older. I must have taken five different white collar-type civil service tests and all the lists stalled on me because of the economy, except this one.

No one's trying to initimidate you. Employees are posting this info so that those who are new to transit will not go in expecting it to be easy, and that they will have their hands held. After schoolcar, that's it. Once you are qualified on something, you are expected to be able to do it. You've got to know and do your job correctly down here, and if you can't, a paper trail will start to grow in your file, which is never a good thing.

This is not like those white collar jobs that give you a year to prove yourself and a bunch of positive hippy friendship meetings where you are "constructively criticized" so as not to wound your fragile ego. It's a safety sensitive title, and new people need to be ready for what awaits - hence the posts.

You can't skate through schoolcar, much less the job, based on casual knowledge of the subway as a rider.

If you can hack it, it's not just a job, but a rewarding CAREER with good benefits and a pension that's pretty good. You'll never have to worry about your check bouncing or your employer going out of business, and you can go as far in MTA as you want, make a lot of money, and do quite well for yourself. But if you can't hack it, no amount of group therapy, positivity, and hugs is going to change that. So why sugarcoat it?

Edited by SubwayGuy

Success & elantra you've put my mind at ease - for this I thank you and I wish both of yous the former's namesake! As long as I make it in, that's all I care about!

Same here...im in low 150s went to preemployment on 10/3 still heard nothing...