Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We received our divisions today. 20 to A Div and 20 to B Div. The pick went by list number order for all of us with the promos getting to pick first. Orientation done. Real training starts tomorrow I believe.

what div did u get success?? thanks for keeping all of us in the loop and gl on ur training

i figure it wouldnt be a crap shoot if im at the bottom of the next class anyway. you have to figure that everyone in the next class will have 97.5 or better exam score. you also have to figure that because of the socio-economic and education conditions of the Bronx, most people with scores that high will be picking B division. even though i currently live in the Bronx, i JUST got into contract on a co-op in Jamaica Estates, so the A division would be hell to get to unless they put me on the (7) line every day :(

Well with the way seniority moves for T/O I would want to get a jump on that ASAP. I live in Brooklyn so B div would have been better but the A Div crew office has been pretty good to me keeping me close to Brooklyn or Queens. Remember, you do get 12 hrs of rest between (travel time doesn't count) while on probation so you'll still get some ok sleep after going to and from work.

It is a crap shoot because I have heard of instances where the whole class gets sent to one division or where only a small few get sent to a certain div while the rest aren't. We just happened to luck out and somewhat get the option to choose. Most of the B div slots were taken by the promos since most live in Brooklyn or queens from the conversations I had with a couple or overheard. Also when i got up to the table the TSS mentioned how usually everybody picks A div but this time around mist people requested for B div. Only a couple of OC guys got to choose B div. the rest of us was put in A div which is what I wanted anyway since I live in manhattan. The socio economic status of the Bronx should have no bearing in your decision because Brooklyn isn't a walk in the park neither. Especially East New York and Brownsville where there are B div yards and a lot of train lines travel in those areas. Far rockaway isn't a walk in the park neither. The only thing that should have any bearing is your home proximity to your possible division yards or your personal preference of train lines you would rather run. Me personally, I'm concentrating on getting a spot on the 7 line which is my favorite train line. I don't care where I'm living when I get enough seniority to choose. The 7 line is what I want and where I want to be.

Edited by Success7

i figure it wouldnt be a crap shoot if im at the bottom of the next class anyway. you have to figure that everyone in the next class will have 97.5 or better exam score. you also have to figure that because of the socio-economic and education conditions of the Bronx, most people with scores that high will be picking B division. even though i currently live in the Bronx, i JUST got into contract on a co-op in Jamaica Estates, so the A division would be hell to get to unless they put me on the (7) line every day :(

I have a score of 98.75 and live in the Bronx. What does the socio-ecomomic and education conditions have to do with them wanting to pick the B division??? I'm hoping for the A division simply because it'll be closer to home but I'll take either.

So what your saying is because I scored high on the exam let me pick the B division because of the conditions in the Bronx??? That makes absolutely no sense what so ever sir... <_<

Edited by elantra06

B Div could potentially be worse. Main Street on the 7 is 30-35 minutes to Manhattan and any IRT mainline, which is comparable to the travel time to take the F or E into Manhattan from Jamaica. Once you're in Manhattan, 42nd Street is pretty central to most lines, so getting to terminals is not bad.

From TSQ, the 1 at 242nd is 35 minutes, give or take. The 2 at 241st is about 50 minutes, give or take. The 3 at 148th is about 20 minutes, give or take.

From GCT, the 4 at Woodlawn is 35 minutes, give or take. The 5 at Dyre is about 40 minutes, give or take. The 6 at Pelham is about 40 minutes, give or take (if local)...less if express.

Basically you're looking at an hour to 1 1/2 hr commute each way.

In B Div, you might get some easy reports in Jamaica, but remember you can also be sent to Coney Island, Rockaway, Bedford Park Boulevard, Canarsie, 207th St., etc. Some of those are just as far if not further.

Each division has its ups and downs.

you also have to figure that because of the socio-economic and education conditions of the Bronx, most people with scores that high will be picking B division.

As a Bronx resident, I know some areas are better than others, but please get out of the 1980's...

I'd figure (at least in the beginning) most new hires would pick whatever is closest to their homes if they had a choice, regardless of "socio-economic" and especially "education" conditions.

As a Bronx resident, I know some areas are better than others, but please get out of the 1980's...

If one dont wanna have folks looking at them side eyed down here one best check that kind of thinking at the door...

Edited by RTOMan

If one dont wanna have folks looking at them side eyed down here one best check that kind of thinking at the door...

That's odd coming from you, one of the biggest racists here. I guess from your crooked viewpoint being racist towards white people is ok, but the other way around is a no-no. Change your name to pot since you haven't noticed your similarity to the kettle. Hypocritical a**hole.

That's odd coming from you, one of the biggest racists here. I guess from your crooked viewpoint being racist towards white people is ok, but the other way around is a no-no. Change your name to pot since you haven't noticed your similarity to the kettle. Hypocritical a**hole.

You are such a effing Idiot really.. .

Since its obviously you have no idea what you are talking about....

Thats ok though silly stay hidden behind a screen coward, ill continue to laugh at fools like you..

Edited by RTOMan

you have to figure that everyone in the next class will have 97.5 or better exam score. you also have to figure that because of the socio-economic and education conditions of the Bronx, most people with scores that high will be picking B division.

Thinking about it you really can't knock the education in the Bronx. I've lived in the Bronx since I was 2yrs old, attended school and college here yet I scored higher than you on the exam and are higher on the list than you lol!!! What happen there?? Can't really knock the education can ya. :DB-)

Like another poster said every borough will have it's good and bad areas. That holds true no matter where you reside in the city. It's all dependant on where you chose to live. The Bronx actually has nice areas where it feels like your living in the suburbs believe it or not.

Edited by elantra06

We received our divisions today. 20 to A Div and 20 to B Div. The pick went by list number order for all of us with the promos getting to pick first. Orientation done. Real training starts tomorrow I believe.

That's exactly what my class got. Did B-Div fill up almost immediately again?

And I take offense to that anti-Bronx comment. I scored a straight, unassisted 100 on my C/R exam, not to mention going to college, but *I* live in the Bronx (about a block from NYC's best high school and 3 colleges, I might add), so you automatically assume that I'm some stupid bumpkin? True, if you live in the Bronx then you definitely want to be A-Div for school car and XX, but now that I can pick a job there, I'm going to B-Div next pick (guess where....).

Edited by Snowblock

It wasn't "anti-Bronx". Im just saying, because of our economic condition and the way our schools are run, we dont get the same level of decent education as the rest of new york. I didnt really learn too much until i got to high school, which i attended in manhattan. Even then it was too late because when i got to college i couldnt really compete with everyone else, so i dropped out. Maybe im just an idiot, but im definitely NOT anti-Bronx