Train Operator Exam # 8098

Den

I would say if I make it 1 year, then I could take it a bit easy. Right now, the medicals, fingerprints, and 21 pg booklet I have to be there at 7:30 thus Thursday, almost 2 weeks I took the urine test.

It seems that you have gotten your call for medical/final processing. Congrats! Wish you the best on navigating the hr process.

btw share your list # range - thx...

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People.

Read through this thread and the Schoolcar Experience thread, and all of your questions will be answered, instead of asking the same questions over and over and over again.

[/rant]

Nah let em ask if its something one of us can help them with so be it...

This is new territory to some...

I had just went in for the second part of medical today and passed but wasn't expecting them to tell me I would start orientation on Monday. During the application process it asked if I would be taking a leave of absence from my current position as a letter carrier but stated if I was to I would be delaying my hiring process so I answered no. However, after finding out how soon I would start I went to my current job and they said they would give me the leave of absence. If I take it is it considered having dual employment and can the MTA use my answering "no" as being dishonest and as grounds for dismissal?

I had just went in for the second part of medical today and passed but wasn't expecting them to tell me I would start orientation on Monday. During the application process it asked if I would be taking a leave of absence from my current position as a letter carrier but stated if I was to I would be delaying my hiring process so I answered no. However, after finding out how soon I would start I went to my current job and they said they would give me the leave of absence. If I take it is it considered having dual employment and can the MTA use my answering "no" as being dishonest and as grounds for dismissal?

You wont have TIME for another Job when you are in Schoolcar...

If you can get a leave of absence then do so.

I'm not trying to work two jobs. I am definitely leaving my current job. Just wondering if I should resign and pray nothing goes wrong with the MTA and I wind up unemployed or take the leave of absence  in case probation doesn't go well and risk the MTA finding out and firing me for being dishonest?

How do they investigate your last job you had? From what I heard the MTA is not as technical as the NYPD, but I can be wrong. How does the investigators from HR handle that?

They investigate by calling, researching addresses and verifying. Also, they seem like they aren't as technical BUT, they WILL screen your papers. If anything turns up that raises a red flag, you will be toast or at least well on your way to the toaster. This happens, by the way, no matter when they get to you and your case.

Edited by kevinetics

They investigate by calling, researching addresses and verifying. Also, they seem like they aren't as technical BUT, they WILL screen your papers. If anything turns up that raises a red flag, you will be toast or at least well on your way to the toaster. This happens, by the way, no matter when they get to you and your case.

Thanks 4 da tip...

So I heard on here, that you are in the union right away. Like the first week of school car. My ques is how much are the union dues? Are they automatically taken out of your check or direct deposit or do you have to pay in person?? Are the dues paid on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis???

So I heard on here, that you are in the union right away. Like the first week of school car. My ques is how much are the union dues? Are they automatically taken out of your check or direct deposit or do you have to pay in person?? Are the dues paid on a weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly basis???

Union Dues are 27 Bucks. We get paid every two weeks taken out automatically.

I went in for medical and final processing on 4/23. I passed everything and was surprised when the interviewer asked if i can start on Monday 4/29. I turned it down for now because I am aware I have a shaky background.I told them that I would prefer for my background check to be completed before I accept the job because I would hate to resign from my job now (which is a good job) without giving adequate notice and burning that bridge to accept the position without knowing if the MTA will accept my background as is. She said i was risking for the list to expire before the background check is complete. I think I would be taking a bigger risk if I take the job now and Good forbid get fired because of my background and quitting my last job and having a burnt bridge with them and staying unemployed. Does these background checks really take that long? Has anyone ever requested their background check completed before appointment?

Do we get vision & dental insurance? I know we get medical. What type? And when does that kick in? I believe it comes with the union dues.

Yes vision and dental. If you are starting with the 4/29 class then August 1st would be the date your medical would kick in.

You wont have TIME for another Job when you are in Schoolcar...

If you can get a leave of absence then do so.

I wasn't planning on working on both jobs. I'm just wondering if I should:

A: resign from my current job and hope all goes well with training and probation or else I'll wind up unemployed or

B: take the leave of absence or just keep calling out for as long as I can to hold my current job and hope MTA doesn't use what I wrote in the application about not going to take a leave of absence against me for being dishonest where I can possibly lose both jobs

I would get the leave of absence approved from your other job with leave without pay for a year. There are no guarantees until you made through one year of probation.

It is nerve wrecking for myself as I used to work for a federal job with a 3 month probation and was in college at the same time. I got real sick and had to go work and deal with it until I passed probaton. I decided to put a leave of absence for college as you could go back anytime to continue your higher education.

The greatest thing about the job is the population growth NYC experienced in the past 10 years. Examples, Williamsburg, East Harlem, Yankee Stadium area in the Bronx as housing and rent prices went up. Suburban property taxes are eating up the income and many are moving back to enjoy the convenience of taking the trains to go shopping and leisure. Seniors are moving back to the city to find the convenience of walking down to buy something. The quality of life improved and made NYC safer to travel.

I said to myself for tomorrow medical and final processing, "One year to change my life around to work hard to keep this job ever until retirement."

I went in for medical and final processing on 4/23. I passed everything and was surprised when the interviewer asked if i can start on Monday 4/29. I turned it down for now because I am aware I have a shaky background.I told them that I would prefer for my background check to be completed before I accept the job because I would hate to resign from my job now (which is a good job) without giving adequate notice and burning that bridge to accept the position without knowing if the MTA will accept my background as is. She said i was risking for the list to expire before the background check is complete. I think I would be taking a bigger risk if I take the job now and Good forbid get fired because of my background and quitting my last job and having a burnt bridge with them and staying unemployed. Does these background checks really take that long? Has anyone ever requested their background check completed before appointment?

Dude/Dude-ette...Did you disclose your past discretions in the 21 page booklet? If you did, no worries. You were honest.

Sorry to be so frank but get your ass over here. Pay attention, learn your job & do your job and you will have no problems. That way, when they do get to your file, your very clean record and vouches from supes will speak for you and help you keep the gig.

I wasn't planning on working on both jobs. I'm just wondering if I should:

A: resign from my current job and hope all goes well with training and probation or else I'll wind up unemployed or

B: take the leave of absence or just keep calling out for as long as I can to hold my current job and hope MTA doesn't use what I wrote in the application about not going to take a leave of absence against me for being dishonest where I can possibly lose both jobs

Take the Leave of absence and come on down.. If TA calls you they want you...

Dude/Dude-ette...Did you disclose your past discretions in the 21 page booklet? If you did, no worries. You were honest.

Sorry to be so frank but get your ass over here. Pay attention, learn your job & do your job and you will have no problems. That way, when they do get to your file, your very clean record and vouches from supes will speak for you and help you keep the gig.

They gave me the 21 page book back saying they couldn't accept it if i didn't accept the job.

Yes vision and dental. If you are starting with the 4/29 class then August 1st would be the date your medical would kick in.

Thanks 4 that info...

What type of medical insurance does the TA offer to it's employees? Empire Blue Cross, Cigna, HIP, or GHI????