NBA 2011-'12 and off season discussion Thread

553 Bridgeton

The Spurs may be ancient but I like how they manage to bring in new pieces to keep themselves in contention year after year. Their management ,scouting,and coaching staff are the best in the NBA IMO. The Knicks and Magic, among others, should try to emulate them. Heck, even Michael Jordan should look at the Spurs organization 'cause he's almost as clueless as Dolan's buddy was. You know who I mean, the nameless one who ran the Knicks a while back. Maybe Jerry West is the only Hall of Famer who could step up to the next level and do well or maybe it's a combination of talent and good ownership that makes it work. I know that combo has been absent from MSG for a long time. Carry on.

While the Lakers get all of the attention, you made a great point trainmaster. Since the end of the Micheal Jordan era(not counting his stupid comeback in 2001)in 1999, the Lakers and Spurs no doubt have been by far the '2' best teams in the league. Combined they have won '7' NBA world titles so they must be doing something right. Yet Jimmy Dolan wants to keep bringning back that clown of an executive in Isiash. So Knick fans have alot to worry about it if that happens.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If i were you i wouldnt fall into OKC. There good and all but i dont see them going to the finals; atleast not with Durant/Westbrook jacking up jumpers at will, that doesnt win championships. Something tells me the Lakers/ Spurs have one last run. Although my sleeper is Memphis.

If i were you i wouldnt fall into OKC. There good and all but i dont see them going to the finals; atleast not with Durant/Westbrook jacking up jumpers at will, that doesnt win championships. Something tells me the Lakers/ Spurs have one last run. Although my sleeper is Memphis.

With all of the drama and key bench players like Odom gone, I don't see the Lakers going back to the NBA Championship Finals. Maybe LA wins a 1st round series and that it. I can see the Spurs right now instead of an older team from the west making the NBA Finals.

And even though they made the West semi Finals last year i can Memphis once again being the sleeper aka surprise team in this year post season.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-lamar-odom-20120411,0,2170786.story?track=rss

Odom simply didn't fit in on the Mavs & their style of play.... I knew that wadn't goin work from jump.....

I agree w/ Cuban & his decision 100%... On top of not fitting in to their system, he didn't look like he wanted to be in Dallas.....

The Lakers may be over Odom... but iont think Odom is over the Lakers.

Odom used to be my favorite player. I was devastated when he went to the Mavs. I thought he was gonna play really well, but in the end, just inactive. They have a good player, but they don't want to take the risks with their other pickups, like Carter, West, you know what I'm sayin.

Well the Knicks had a ok and bad news type of day on Sunday 4/15/12. The ok news is that Carmelo Anthony had 42 points. Bad news is NY loses to the Lebron James Heat and still in tight battle for one of the last 2 playoff spots in the NBA East Division.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-knicks-carmelo-anthony-42-points-fall-lebron-james-miami-heat-93-85-garden-article-1.1062048

Well the Knicks had a ok and bad news type of day on Sunday 4/15/12. The ok news is that Carmelo Anthony had 42 points. Bad news is NY loses to the Lebron James Heat and still in tight battle for one of the last 2 playoff spots in the NBA East Division.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1062048

I didn't see the first 3 quarters, but poor shot selection is what did them in, in the latter half of that 4th quarter.....

Miami made their shots down the stretch, Knicks didn't.....

Yeah, Melo scored 42, but the rest of their starters only scored 19 points.... that's not gonna get it done, unless the bench really goes off; which of course didn't happen yesterday.....

Yeah, Melo scored 42, but the rest of their starters only scored 19 points.... that's not gonna get it done, unless the bench really goes off; which of course didn't happen yesterday.....

Who do you expect to pick up the slack? Chandler is not a scorer, but a solid defensive player and a rebounder. Fields only contributes when he drives in from the paint. Davis is either a hit or miss. Shumpert is not known to be a 2nd go to man.

The fact that the Knicks must rely on JR Smith as the second go to man worries me as he is a mercurial player. He did well in yesterday's game, but on some stretches, his FG% for that game may dip to very low numbers. He also shoots in situations where it would be better if he had passed, and these poor shot selections really hurt the Knicks.

Even with all of these factors, the fact that we lost to Miami with their full squad (the big 3) by single digits shows the strength that the Knicks have, even with two elite scorers gone, and that is what I like about the Knicks.

Who do you expect to pick up the slack? Chandler is not a scorer, but a solid defensive player and a rebounder. Fields only contributes when he drives in from the paint. Davis is either a hit or miss. Shumpert is not known to be a 2nd go to man.

The fact that the Knicks must rely on JR Smith as the second go to man worries me as he is a mercurial player. He did well in yesterday's game, but on some stretches, his FG% for that game may dip to very low numbers. He also shoots in situations where it would be better if he had passed, and these poor shot selections really hurt the Knicks.

Even with all of these factors, the fact that we lost to Miami with their full squad (the big 3) by single digits shows the strength that the Knicks have, even with two elite scorers gone, and that is what I like about the Knicks.

Who do I expect to pick up the slack? Stop making excuses..... 19 points total out of the other 4 starters is horrid, no matter how you slice it....

Well MIA beat NY because they suck, hell the Bobcats can beat the Knicks As long as Melo continues to play "i want to score 42" they will never be any better then they are.

No, MIA beat the Knicks because its Miami.

I think the Knicks will get blown out whether they play Miami or Chicago, but the Knicks are not as bad as you view them. Melo scores because that's what he's there to do. Nobody else on the starting lineup is as efficient offensively as Melo, and that's the primary reason why he's getting those high numbers. Who else are you going to pass to? Landry? Shumpert? Davis? The only person I would hand the ball to would be JR, and he's a hit or miss on games. Right now, the Knicks have a confident balance of isolation plays with Melo along with the occasional Pick and Rolls they set up. Obviously the atmosphere is going to change when Stodemire comes back, but right now, it's what we have to deal with, and its what we're winning games with.

No, MIA beat the Knicks because its Miami.

I think the Knicks will get blown out whether they play Miami or Chicago, but the Knicks are not as bad as you view them. Melo scores because that's what he's there to do. Nobody else on the starting lineup is as efficient offensively as Melo, and that's the primary reason why he's getting those high numbers. Who else are you going to pass to? Landry? Shumpert? Davis? The only person I would hand the ball to would be JR, and he's a hit or miss on games. Right now, the Knicks have a confident balance of isolation plays with Melo along with the occasional Pick and Rolls they set up. Obviously the atmosphere is going to change when Stodemire comes back, but right now, it's what we have to deal with, and its what we're winning games with.

Ktrain not that it matters but with the Bucks lose tonight (4/19)the Knicks have clinched a playoff spot and no worse than the #8 seed in the 1st round of the NBA East playoffs without even playing. Plus with none of NY rivals for the last few spots, i.e 76ers, Bucks, Pacers playing well, even with losing Lin And Stod, Knicks have chance to finish with #6 seed. If they do finish (6) they play the # 3 seed in ancient Celtics instead of 95-plus% chance of losing to either the Heat or Bulls.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-knicks-clinch-playoff-berth-milwaukee-bucks-fall-indiana-pacers-chance-move-win-atlantic-division-article-1.1064606

When Amare gets back Melos shots go down, and Melo needs the ball in order for the Knicks to have a snowballs chance. Amare is going to have to sacrifice scoring for blocked shots, defense and rebounding; plain and simple. Amare been out since March 24th or so, your not gona just come back an play like you wasnt out for a month. JR Smith is a bonehead, you never know what yoyr going to get from him, he can get you up by 20 but you also can lose by 20 cause he takes alot of BAD shots. I would be more worried when Lin gets back, however the Knicks ain going to the 2nd round. Now next year; as long as they dont get rid of lin, ill give the Knicks a better chance cause theyll get practice time and a full training camp.

The Knicks got to trade Fields. He hasnt been the same since that Melo deal.

- Yeah, Dwight Howard shut it down earlier this week... He doesn't wanna be there anyway; let him milk what he can WHILE he can....

- Landry Fields is dead weight; what purpose does he have on the Knicks... hell, what purpose does he have in the LEAGUE.....

With the NBA regular season ending in a couple of days, (1) era is coming to an end. The New Jersey Nets are about to leave playing for the Garden State. As an oringal ABA club, they began in NJ in 1967 then played at the NHL Islanders in Long Island for most of the 1970's. In the disco era they won '2' ABA titles with a then 'kid' who go to become an immortal NBA Hall of Famer in "DR. J" Juluis Erving. After they traded DR . J' they then moved back to the NJ Meadowlands arena(Now IZOD Center)and called that area for nearly 30 years. Then last couple of years in Newark.

So guys well the soon to be "Brooklyn Nets" be a success in Brooklyn competing with now crosstown rivals the NY Knicks? Or will the 'new" Brooklyn team be a failure(before Blake Griffth)as the LA Clippers?

Here a great article in this morning 4/22/12 NY Daily News on 'brief' history of the NJ Nets.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1065425

In today's Thunder vs Lakers game Mr. Metta World Peace (formerly Ron Artest) landed a pretty good elbow to James Harden after celebrating a dunk. He was ejected and will likely faces huge fines and a suspension for his actions. Dirty plays like this are not called for in the NBA. The Lakers ended up winning in 2OT's behind a clutch performance from Kobe Bryant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iKxuxN_hYg&feature=youtu.be

Archived