NBA 2011-'12 and off season discussion Thread

553 Bridgeton

Well, Lin is short so his weakness is dunks and all that...other than that he is awesome if no one is blocking him. He gets 95% of his foul balls in. And hes damn good at 3 pointers. He chose to do dunk-like shots last night, which was a bad choice for him. He should have passed or 3 pointed, there would have been a higher chance of winning.

He's a point guard. Dunking is not supposed to be his expertise and it's not. Lin goes hard in the paint and his field of specialty is his layups which he does well. He's not that short for a point guard either. CP3 is short and he's a very efficient point guard. Lin is not small, cause he is able to draw the fouls effectively.

Anyone is awesome if nobody's blocking them in the NBA. You are right though, that he is an excellent 3 point shooter. He has a killer jumpshot and that coupled with his maneuverability and his field vision is what has driven the Knicks to their past few wins. It's a shame that yesterday's game did not reflect that.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lin did terrible yesterday. 8 points and 1 for 11 shooting and the lack of significant assists and his turnovers really cost the Knicks the game.

I knew we would lose, but I thought it would be by single digits. Hopefully everybody will be healthy and rested after the All Star Break so we can see another Knicks winning streak.

Not even Chris Paul himself can be perfect. Ppl acting this man suppose to average 21&10 a night. He's human he is going to have an off night. The Knicks were no-match(hate to say it)for the Heat. Let's give them time; it's not going to happen over night.

As the NBA takes a quick couple of days off from finishing a quick 66-game season due to the lockout a question has to arrive? Why is there a 2012 NBA All star game in Orlando at all this season?

This question has to raised since David Stern 'whored' to his tv partners espn/abc & TNT trying to cramp down a 66-game season into almost 12 weeks of play. As result NBA teams are playing reguarly this season, 4 games in a week(a depature from usually playing about 2-3 games a week in a normal 82-game NBA season)having some negative outcomes.

This cramped 66-game season has led to a record number of injuries and quality of play has suffered. In 1998-'99 the ASG was cancelled so why could not the NBA just play the ASG next year(Feb. 2013)in Orlando?

Plus picking an ASG team in this much shorter season is unfair imo with less body of work to make the team.

On other hand, with almost every club in the league having to reply deeper on their bench, the only positive is that new players who was previously overlooked as the 11-12th man on the bench now getting more playing time. Honestly, would the world know had known of Jermey Lin if this was a regular full 82-game season and Knicks now down to their 10-11-12 players on the bench?

So NBA fans and experts like 553 Bridgeton what you think?

The 3 point shooting contest was pretty good. Kevin Love deserves the win. I don't know how he's improved even more from last year, especially with scoring and 3's. The dunk contest was pretty boring though. Last year's was much better (even though Serge Ibaka and JaVale McGee got robbed).

The Heat game wasn't terrible...they have one of the best records in the league and they double teamed Lin, and this was his first off night since that first night almost 3 weeks ago when he went off for 25. At the very least the Knicks are a playoff team, and they play the Cavs next. This is a matchup we have to win, after our record with the Cavs last year...

Looks like after flirting with both the LA area and recently Seattle , the Kings will be staying in the Calif state captial. A tenative deal has been made to bulid a new arena. Part of the deal is that team owners the Maloff Family, pay immedately $70-plus million towards the cost of the new buliding and a new yearly tax. This 'new' arena is expected to open in Fall 2015.

Now I know i am going to get blasted here but it's time for David Stern to give '1' more expansion (and last for a long while)to Seattle who got screwed in losing the now Oklahoma Thunder who could reach the NBA Finals.

Kings, Sacramento reach arena deal, keeping team in town for long term - NBA - Sporting News

Before we talk about the current NBA in 2012, just wanted to mention for minute one of the most famous records in history of sports occured. That of course today March 2, 1962 when Wilt Chamberlain of the Phildelphia(now Golden State of the San Fran/Oakland, Ca. area)Warriors scored 100 points in a single game vs. the Knicks. Here article.

Could anyone score 100 in today's NBA? Kobe has come the closest scoring 81 points vs. Toronto a few years back.

Remembering Wilt Chamberlin's 100-point miracle

Before we talk about the current NBA in 2012, just wanted to mention for minute one of the most famous records in history of sports occured. That of course today March 2, 1962 when Wilt Chamberlain of the Phildelphia(now Golden State of the San Fran/Oakland, Ca. area)Warriors scored 100 points in a single game vs. the Knicks. Here article.

Could anyone score 100 in today's NBA? Kobe has come the closest scoring 81 points vs. Toronto a few years back.

Remembering Wilt Chamberlin's 100-point miracle

Shortline, as I'm probably the only poster out here who actually remembers the NBA of that era I'd guess that there is no player who will reach the century mark again. First of all no present day team would allow an opponent to score at will. It might seem sacreligious to many posters but the Dipper had something that no player since that time has shown. TOTAL individual DOMINATION. I've seen Baylor, Kobe, Mike, Iceman Gervin. and the ABA Doc, among others, put up incredible scoring numbers in individual games and even short series but the fact is no one player can match his individual greatness, IMO.

Shortline, as I'm probably the only poster out here who actually remembers the NBA of that era I'd guess that there is no player who will reach the century mark again. First of all no present day team would allow an opponent to score at will. It might seem sacreligious to many posters but the Dipper had something that no player since that time has shown. TOTAL individual DOMINATION. I've seen Baylor, Kobe, Mike, Iceman Gervin. and the ABA Doc, among others, put up incredible scoring numbers in individual games and even short series but the fact is no one player can match his individual greatness, IMO.

I agree. My late Dad said if Wilt was playing in the NBA today in the early years of the 21st century, he would scare alot of players.:eek: Most sportswriters broadcasters and NBA Commentators trying to be politically correct state Micheal Jordan is best player ever in pro basketball. Yet an earlier era of fans like yourself will state wilt. Still an amazing stat to this day in sports history.

Back to NBA 2012. Tonight 3/6/12 Knicks about to lose in Dallas. Ny overcome a 15 point defecit to take brief lead in middle of 4th. Then after the big 3 i.e Lin, Anothny and Stodumure return mavs regain lead for win. I am sure the Knicks Coach will be 2nd guessed for returning to his starters.

Knicks last night (3/12/12)lost their 6th straight game in Chicago 104-97 . Now all of sudden NY is in danger of not even making the playoffs especially since the Bucks have made a challenge to them for the 8th and last playoff spot in the NBA East. Also D’Antonio on the hot seat again to be fired?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-knicks-losing-streak-hits-derrick-rose-scores-32-points-proves-jeremy-lin-carmelo-anthony-amar-e-stoudemire-combo-article-1.1037832

lmfao @ ESPN stating the rumor out that Dwight Howard (if he becomes a free agent) is interested in joining the Clippers and (get this....) the Heat !

smfh.... if he takes his talents to south beach, I'm done with the NBA.... this is gettin ridiculous now w/ these 'stars wanting to band together....

Back in the day, one or two stars of a team wanted to take "their team" to the championship (no matter what team it was)... The sense of pride was there..... Now the mindstate is to want to jump ship to some frontrunning team to obtain a ring... You can thank the vets in the 90's like Karl Malone, Gary Payton, and Dennis Rodman that jumpstarted what we're visualizing from some of today's stars, as far as this goes.... Thing is though, those guys were old when they went hauling ass to the Lakers back then... Now you have these guys in the league going about wanting to get traded to a ready-made/frontrunning team - When they have a full NBA career ahead of them.... That is called having a defeatist mentaility....

The declination of superstars that want to take charge in bringing a championship to a particular city (as opposed to this hive mindset that's festering about within the league) is astounding...

and as a casual fan of the sport, quite frankly... Annoying.... Embarrassing too.

Also D’Antoni on the hot seat again to be fired?

When isn't he on the hot seat to gettin fired....

Amare's passiveness, Anthony's selfishness, & Lin's stagnancy isn't helpin D'antoni's campaign (assuming he even wants to remain in NY) either.... only real positives they got is Chandler, Baron (as of late... but he needs to calm down with the [fancy] dribbling all over the place... he aint no spring chicken to be doin all that showboating shit), and that dude Novak.... Neither of which you can build a team around......

Knicks fans aren't gonna wanna hear this..... but This is what happens when you rely on hype, star power, ticket sales, and mis-management to win a championship.... it's been the same damn failing formula that's plagued this franchise since the early 2000's..... Now one of Dolan's partners in crime (according to the daily news) is talkin about trading Carmelo (most likely, to free up cap space so they market the f*** out of Lin by keeping him & giving him a pay raise).... Can I get a big fat *SHRUG* ?

Seriously..... How far has gimmicks like "starbury" & "linsanity" gotten the knicks in the past 10 years....

Agreed with everything you said ^. It took a while, but eventually the Linsanity hype has died down (maybe). One man can't carry a whole team for that long.

Otoh, Carmelo is basically a more talented version of Marbury. I wouldn't be disappointed at all to see him go, problem would be: who's dumb enough to take him and who would give the Knicks the same 'package' they gave up to get him?

I think if this was "Amare's team" again things would work better and it would also break up the 2 superstars (if he can still be considered that now) on the team.

I used to like the guy, but now I'm losing respect for him (Howard).....

Magic should just get rid of him & get it over with; bi-polar ass nzzzzz's.... sick of hearin about him & his wishy-washy desires.....

...and how about Derrick Rose bitching basically because, well, he aint getting the superstar calls (from the refs)....

smh lol.....

heh, Melo got his wish..... D'antoni resigned earlier today... lmfao.....

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7686638/new-york-knicks-coach-mike-dantoni-resigns

In tonight's game, Knicks went out & destroyed portland, 121 - 79....

some co-incidence..... lol....

Or more likely 'fired." Dolan is the only major sports owner that tries to downplay when a coach/GM of Knicks and Rangers is canned.:eek:

Archived