NBA 2011-'12 and off season discussion Thread

553 Bridgeton

Who is the Knicks' backup/interim coach anyway ?

Mike Woodson who was a 'journeyman" NBA player in the 1980's and later a long time assistant to Larry Brown. Few years back he was the Hawks HC for a few seasons. FYI. Woodson began his carrer in NY with the Knicks in 1980's.

Woodson might have chance of getting the gig 'full time' if say the Knicks recover and get the #6-#7 seed in playoffs and avoid an almost certain 1st round exit playing the Bulls or Heat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Woodson

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mike Woodson who was a 'journeyman" NBA player in the 1980's and later a long time assistant to Larry Brown. Few years back he was the Hawks HC for a few seasons. FYI. Woodson began his carrer in NY with the Knicks in 1980's.

Woodson might have chance of getting the gig 'full time' if say the Knicks recover and get the #6-#7 seed in playoffs and avoid an almost certain 1st round exit playing the Bulls or Heat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Woodson

the knicks need to be 6th seed if they they will face the heat or bulls like u said

the knicks need to be 6th seed if they they will face the heat or bulls like u said

It doesnt matter if there the 6th seed or the 10th seed. They will either miss the playoffs or be out in the first round.

Like Mike Woodson gona make a difference, mind the fact this is the same guy who ran all those iso plays while he coached the Hawks. This is the same coach who got swept and lost by a combined 104 points(to the Magic) because of his iso style of coaching. Melo will love him....

It doesnt matter if there the 6th seed or the 10th seed. They will either miss the playoffs or be out in the first round.

Like Mike Woodson gona make a difference, mind the fact this is the same guy who ran all those iso plays while he coached the Hawks. This is the same coach who got swept and lost by a combined 104 points(to the Magic) because of his iso style of coaching. Melo will love him....

553 you right about the Knicks having less than 1% chance of beating either the Bulls or Heat in 1st round if they finish 7th or 8th seed(IMO that will they will end up).

However if they finish in 6th place(they only 5 games back)they playing the 76ers or Celtics in which they have at least a shot to win a 1st round series against either team. A Huge difference in playing the weak Atlantic Division winner or '2' clubs that among the favorites to win the 2012 NBA title. That playing either i.e an ancient team in the C's at end of their run with Garnett, Allen, Rondo, etc. or an good upcoming but inexprienced Philly club.

So NY still has something to play for in last 20-plus games of the season.

The Knicks will not beat the 76ers or Celtics.

553 LOL. I never said they would beat the 76ers/Celtics. I said they have a much better chance vs. playing Boston/Philly in 1st round, then having basically no shot(i.e barring an injury to "Queen James/Wade" or Mr. Rose)playing the Bulls/Heat.:eek:

Speaking of Dwight Howard, he has changed his mind and agree not to 'opt-out' and become a free agent this summer of 2012. "Superman" has signed a 1-year extension with the Magic and instead he will become an unrestricted free agent in summer of '13. So looks like the dreams of the Nets getting the best current starting center in the NBA is out for now.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/dwight-howard-play-season-magic-nj-nets-gamble-lose-orlando-star-article-1.1039631

Yeah, I aint waxin poetic over these last 3 games either....

- The jaillblazers gave up, once they got down big....

- The Pacers don't have a real "go to" guy.... don't give me Grainger either (how'd that shit talkin pan out for him... got swept in a home & home)..... The pacers are like the ideal definition of how to play the "team game" - problem with them is, if one person is off, the chances of them winning aren't good.... all 5 parts (players) on the court have to play as a whole for them to be effective... this is why I don't have them goin deep into the playoffs.....

The Knicks will not beat the 76ers or Celtics.

Amen.

The 76ers have Williams, Iguodala, and Young, which is the powerhouse. Iguodala is extreme clutch, can play SG/SF, and he has some crazy handles.

Lou Williams, who I think deserves 6th man of the year, also a powerhouse. He is the only bench player in the whole league to lead the team in scoring. I don't know how he does it, but he just gets his business done.

Thad Young, the Cornerman (SF/PF), been scoring pretty well lately. He can get to the rack, plus he has a magic shooting touch.

I think tonight, they should go with:

PG: Williams

SG: Iguodala

SF: Young

PF: Brand

C: Hawes

But they are the 76ers. What can I say.

PG: Holiday

SG: Meeks

SF: Iguodala

PF: Brand

C: Hawes

I seem like you a Sixers fan Trainguy. Anyhow Knicks only trail Philly by 3 games and #3 seed(Atlantic Division Winners)in NBA East. NY won tonight (3/21/12)

82-79. Amare with a great gam while Jermey has a great 4th period to seal the deal.

Amen.

The 76ers have Williams, Iguodala, and Young, which is the powerhouse. Iguodala is extreme clutch, can play SG/SF, and he has some crazy handles.

Lou Williams, who I think deserves 6th man of the year, also a powerhouse. He is the only bench player in the whole league to lead the team in scoring. I don't know how he does it, but he just gets his business done.

Thad Young, the Cornerman (SF/PF), been scoring pretty well lately. He can get to the rack, plus he has a magic shooting touch.

I think tonight, they should go with:

But they are the 76ers. What can I say.

Knicks win again. In a statement game they beat "Superman" Howard and the Magic in a blowout this evening (3/28/12). NY is now only couple of games behind Boston/Philly for #3 seed(Atlantic Division)and getting home court aka game #7 in the 1st round.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-knicks-move-500-jeremy-lin-amar-e-stoudemire-carmelo-anthony-iman-shumpert-score-25-points-apiece-22-point-blowout-win-orlando-magic-article-1.1052453

Knicks win again. In a statement game they beat "Superman" Howard and the Magic in a blowout this evening (3/28/12). NY is now only couple of games behind Boston/Philly for #3 seed(Atlantic Division)and getting home court aka game #7 in the 1st round.

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1052453

I didn't expect us to win, let alone have a 22 point lead over them. Especially with Lin, Stat, and Jeffries gone. Really great and really important win as well. Definetely raises team morale, especially with the injuries we've sustained.

Amazing performance by Melo as his jumper is on target again. Been a while since he's put out numbers like he did today with his good FG%. I'm still a bit worried about his groin injury and how it might affect him in future games though.

Amazing performance by Shumpert too. Today's definetely one of his good days, as he is a very mercurial player. The Knicks still have a long way to go to secure the 3rd seed, especially with their tough schedule. But I think today's game shows the potential that they have even with two elite players gone.

Tell me guys, what do you think Tyreke Evans's natural position. His ELIG for Fantasy is PG/SG/SF.

PG is his secondary position, and the position he stated to first play when he was drafted.

SG is his listed position, and what he plays when Marcus Thornton is injured.

SF is what he currently plays, with Isiah Thomas starting at the PG.

Damn!! Just heard on MSG that Jeremy Lin would be expected to be out for 6 weeks. He will undergo knee surgery. I heard he has a tear in his knee.

6 weeks? That pretty much the season. Oh man Linsanity is now over for now. :( Plus with Stod's back problems the Knicks at this point will be lucky to make the playoffs. When i made statement a week ago, that they could get the #3 seed that was assuming A'mare and Jermey was healthy.

Damn!! Just heard on MSG that Jeremy Lin would be expected to be out for 6 weeks. He will undergo knee surgery. I heard he has a tear in his knee.

I think this could be in part because he's been treated as a starter when he has been at most a bench player. It was only a matter of time till something gave out and forced him to be shut down. Amare, damn, his injury came at a bad time too. He hasn't been playing much especially when his brother died. I'm happy to see Melo scoring in the 20-30s, but the team can't allow so many turnovers.

Shifting gears here the new selected class for the 2012 NBA/International Basketball Hall of Fame Class.

http://www.chicagotr...0,3120412.story

Here my takes on the major selections.

1)Reggie Miller-Not even an debate as he was among the top 5 basketball players on the planet for much of the 1990's. Not to mention often 'overshadowed" by maybe the best player ever in Micheal Jordan.

2)Don Nelson-Yes. However he been a GM/Coach for crappy teams as well.

3)Ralph Sampson-A Horrible choice. No way he belongs in the NBA/International Hall of Fame. I know he made the 1986 NBA Finals but still still had maybe one of the most disappointing carrers ever for a College Hoops superstar. Sampson only belongs in the college basketball HOF.

4)Jamal Wilkes.-Very similar to Sampson a great college carrer but at best a descent(not great) pro carrer.However winning '4' NBA titles (Including '3' w/ Magic Johnson 'Showtime" Lakers)is a main reason IMO Wilkes got in.

Just my takes? Reactions?

This edition of NBA off court access is presented by TMZ lol. Well last night the Knicks blow out the Magic in Fla. w/o Lin and Amare, the big news is the 'civil war' between Orlando's All Star Big Man Dwight Howard and Coach Stan Van Gundy. Plus on a busy sports night (i.e opening day in MLB, the Master's Golf Tournment, NBA/NHL playoff races, etc.) ESPN's sportscenter spends much of this morning's show(Good Friday 2012) on the Howard/Van Gundy soap opera.

It's a stinkin joke ESPN loves controversy now and does not show highlights that much any more. Too bad ESPN/ABC has all of the good NBA games i.e NBA Finals, etc. as TNT does a much better job covering the league on TV as a whole. Even MSG does a better job than the clowns at ESPN. reactions to this rant?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/orlando-magic-jeff-van-gundy-battles-superstar-dwight-howard-article-1.1057164

Knick fans amd Mike Woodson better say their prayers tonight. FIU has fired their basketball coach after three losing seasons and he's looking for a j-o-b. I refuse to jinx the team and mention his name but word is James Dolan has him on speed dial. First the injuries and now the possibility of this.....nightmare... returning. It can't be real, I'm dreaming this, right?

It's a stinkin joke ESPN loves controversy now and does not show highlights that much any more. Too bad ESPN/ABC has all of the good NBA games i.e NBA Finals, etc. as TNT does a much better job covering the league on TV as a whole. Even MSG does a better job than the clowns at ESPN. reactions to this rant?

I made that same point about ESPN on this forum like 2 yrs. ago.... It's not about simply showing the scores & standings & informing viewers about the lesser known players anymore (if you don't know who those guys are yourself, it's your loss).... The latter can be blamed on the onset of the internet age/realm, but w/e....

ESPN has gotten very soap opera-ish, to the point where the storylines of one or both teams matter more than the final score and the teams' wins/losses themselves..... only time they start focusing on the standings is right before the playoffs is about to start.... For the life of me, I cannot watch 10 mins, let alone a full hour of sportscenter...... As far as the network itself, it's no accident that you have shows like Outside the lines, the Sports Reporters, the Mike & Mike's, the Jim Rome is burning's, the Scott van pelt show's, etc etc.....

Never did like ESPN coverage, they know nothing about basketball, and Magic Johnson is an ass. I like Mike Breen but i rather him on MSG. I get so tired of flipping on ESPN to hear talk about fueds rather then why said team lost a game.

I wish TNT/NBATV had the Finals. They cover the league very well and there rants are epic. ESPN is a Joke.

Never did like ESPN coverage, they know nothing about basketball, and Magic Johnson is an ass. I like Mike Breen but i rather him on MSG. I get so tired of flipping on ESPN to hear talk about fueds rather then why said team lost a game.

I wish TNT/NBATV had the Finals. They cover the league very well and there rants are epic. ESPN is a Joke.

553 maybe with him now co-owning the Dodgers, Magic Johnson might be busy enough he could leave his job as an NBA analyst lol. I agree that Magic 'sucks' as an commentator but as a Businessman he is brilliant. Not to mention TNT is so much better w/ NBA coverage which is helped by having arguably the best NBA announcer ever in Marv Albert part of the crew.

And Bro (B35)yes the Van Gundy/Howard feud is an 'news' story for sports. However again, ESPN has way overblown it by try to turning this Howard/Van Gundy mess into the Yankees feud of the 1970's of George, Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin. So ESPN and sportscenter loves these soap opeara type(off the court/field) sports entertainment. What not being mentioned much on ESPN is how the Ancient Spurs are being upset in last years 1st round, are on verge of getting a top seed again in the west conference playoffs.

PS B35 Jim Rome just left ESPN to take a similar show with CBS Sports Radio and also host of a new program on the fairly new TV Talk show the CBS College Sports Network.

553 maybe with him now co-owning the Dodgers, Magic Johnson might be busy enough he could leave his job as an NBA analyst lol. I agree that Magic 'sucks' as an commentator but as a Businessman he is brilliant. Not to mention TNT is so much better w/ NBA coverage which is helped by having arguably the best NBA announcer ever in Marv Albert part of the crew.

And Bro (B35)yes the Van Gundy/Howard feud is an 'news' story for sports. However again, ESPN has way overblown it by try to turning this Howard/Van Gundy mess into the Yankees feud of the 1970's of George, Reggie Jackson and Billy Martin. So ESPN and sportscenter loves these soap opeara type(off the court/field) sports entertainment. What not being mentioned much on ESPN is how the Ancient Spurs are being upset in last years 1st round, are on verge of getting a top seed again in the west conference playoffs.

PS B35 Jim Rome just left ESPN to take a similar show with CBS Sports Radio and also host of a new program on the fairly new TV Talk show the CBS College Sports Network.

The Spurs may be ancient but I like how they manage to bring in new pieces to keep themselves in contention year after year. Their management ,scouting,and coaching staff are the best in the NBA IMO. The Knicks and Magic, among others, should try to emulate them. Heck, even Michael Jordan should look at the Spurs organization 'cause he's almost as clueless as Dolan's buddy was. You know who I mean, the nameless one who ran the Knicks a while back. Maybe Jerry West is the only Hall of Famer who could step up to the next level and do well or maybe it's a combination of talent and good ownership that makes it work. I know that combo has been absent from MSG for a long time. Carry on.

Archived