New York City Bus Riddles

BM5 via Woodhaven

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it is the last O5 at JG, but the last JG's O5 was the 500s which some went to CP. This will be the first time JG is all lf buses. (unless RTSs are borrowed for service.)

JG no longer has Orion v's & 9829 wasn't the only one in service recently. It was 9870 & 29 together but management said that those buses were supposed to be gone months ago. They held on to them because they were short & try we're in good condition. But 9870 rode better than 29 , but 29 was faster. 70 had better ac than 29 , but they got rid of them about 3 weeks ago almost a month.

Isn't this supposed to be for bus routes?

Well here's a riddle:

I pass right above two subway stations. There is one stop in the middle of my route that you must inform the bus driver beforehand if you wish to get off there. Even though there is a bus stop sign there, the bus will not stop even if you pull the stop request cord.

Isn't this supposed to be for bus routes?

Well here's a riddle:

I pass right above two subway stations. There is one stop in the middle of my route that you must inform the bus driver beforehand if you wish to get off there. Even though there is a bus stop sign there, the bus will not stop even if you pull the stop request cord.

M79?

Correct. Not to go off topic, but are the M79 and M86 bus stops in Central Park the only stops that you must tell the driver beforehand if you want to get off at? (66th and 96th streets don't have stops if I remember correctly)

Yep.... I thought of both of those routes, but esp. the M79 because of the amount of subway lines you mentioned. The M86 has more... I pass by that M79 stop just about every day on the BxM2...

---

Okay my turn...

I pass through hilly terrain. My brothers to the west bypass the areas that I do and I pass a subway line.

Aw, I knew it had to be something up in Riverdale but I forgot to put myself in the Via mindset and think express bus wise.

Well here's a new riddle since nobody posted a new one:

I connect a subway station with a residential neighborhood and run along one main street throughout my very short route. On average each of my buses only takes in less than 15 fares (11 on weekends), which is the lowest riders-per-bus ratio in my borough.

Aw, I knew it had to be something up in Riverdale but I forgot to put myself in the Via mindset and think express bus wise.

Well here's a new riddle since nobody posted a new one:

I connect a subway station with a residential neighborhood and run along one main street throughout my very short route. On average each of my buses only takes in less than 15 fares (11 on weekends), which is the lowest riders-per-bus ratio in my borough.

I actually had a local bus listed but decided to change it... :D

I'm going to say B31...

I already posted one up, but I'll guess anyway.

I'm going to guess "One main street" means it pretty much spends all it's time on that street. My first instinct would be the B74, but I'll go with the B42. (BTW, I think they're supposed to double the ridership to account for the passengers getting on going southbound, since you don't have to dip a MetroCard)

I already posted one up, but I'll guess anyway.

I'm going to guess "One main street" means it pretty much spends all it's time on that street. My first instinct would be the B74, but I'll go with the B42. (BTW, I think they're supposed to double the ridership to account for the passengers getting on going southbound, since you don't have to dip a MetroCard)

Correct. What do you mean passengers getting on don't have to dip their MetroCards?

Woah, my bad. I didn't see your post back there when I posted my riddle.

Correct. What do you mean passengers getting on don't have to dip their MetroCards?

Woah, my bad. I didn't see your post back there when I posted my riddle.

If you're transferring from the (L) train to the B42, the B42 stop is within fare control, so you don't have to dip in your MetroCard if you get on at that station. (So if you needed to, you could make a second transfer to the B17 or B103, or on the other end of your trip in Manhattan or whatever). I assume you still have to pay at the other southbound stops, but I doubt there are that many riders traveling within Canarsie, so it shouldn't have much of an impact. (It would make sense that they just double the northbound ridership, but I'm not sure what exactly they do there)

I'm surprised that it is the B74 because that bus is usually packed...

It's the B42, not the B74.

Archived