NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did NICE reveal anything new about the N4L/x/whatevertheycomeupwith at NCC?

The n16x trips trips all become n6x buses.

Besides the 45/51 rerouting, that's basically it.

Oh and the full termination of n43's at Roosevelt Field (at least I got to ride the n43 between Hensptead and Freeport).

• 2 weeks later...

Good Idea,

Edit: Has anyone taken the N6x to from NCC?

5:25pm n4x Freeport yesterday and today's 4:36pm n4x Freeport has not been stopping at Farmers Blvd for pickup yet because there's no n4x Sticker on it. 4:36pm n4x Freeport driver forgot to pickup passengers at South Nassau Hospital.

I'm going to take n6x NCC tomorrow from Jamaica Bus Terminal, properly my plan.

NICE dispatcher gave me few copy of n6x and n4x service poster.

Edited by FamousNYLover

5:25pm n4x Freeport yesterday and today's 4:36pm n4x Freeport has not been stopping at Farmers Blvd for pickup yet because there's no n4x Sticker on it. 4:36pm n4x Freeport driver forgot to pickup passengers at South Nassau Hospital.

I'm going to take n6x NCC tomorrow from Jamaica Bus Terminal, properly my plan.

NICE dispatcher gave me few copy of n6x and n4x service poster.

Were you able to ride it?

Were you able to ride it?

Yes.

There was delay on (E)(F) going toward Jamaica, so I was deciding depends which trains come first, take (E) to Jamaica Center to help with n4x express or (F) to n6x NCC.

I stay helping until 8:37am, last n4x Express, then hit Q84 bus to 165th St, put n6/n4x Service Notice Poster with sign "n4x Express will not stop here." Then I hit 9:03am n6x NCC and he forgot to pickup passenger at Springfield Blvd, but since it was first week of changes, bus operators make mistake.

I took n6x NCC Endo Blvd. At HTC, Hispanic/Spanish female rode the n6x thinking it was n35, but I forgot to tell her she could stay this to NCC for n35 instead.

Then took n43 to Freeport, n4 local to South Nassau, n4 local to Baldwin Harbor, n35 to Hempstead, n15 to Roosevelt Field, n16 to NCC Endo Blvd for short n6x Hempstead, then n41 to Freeport for LIRR to Bellmore, had lunch break at Arby's, then hit LIRR back to Freeport for n4x Jamaica Center. When I got back, lots of n4 riders were confused if there were line for local and express. As in result, 6pm n4 Freeport local left passenger stranded with half empty. I didn't get chance to see n4x Jamaica action because we have to skip S. Nassau Hospital due to police activity on Merrick Rd.

I give full details later.

P. S. LIRR Conductor didn't even check my ticket because I was always on west car of train.

Hard to tell from the pic, the windows are so shiny. Happened to me once, thought a bus was empty, because of the reflections, only to find out it wasn't so empty.

After viewing the image magnified I noted one rider. Ridership could be better, but assuming the service is fairly new I would assume that would soon change.

I missed the last morning n4x yesterday and took a regular n4 to Jamaica...  The n4x buses passing us (going to freeport) were empty (at one time 2 n4's back to back with a packed n4 picking up the work a few minutes behind them) while the n4's were packed...  Either it has some kinks or people don't understand it.  I've noticed people get on the n4 at xpress stops and get off at xpress stops so either these people don't understand the n4x, the timing is bad on the n4x, or its not meeting up with the passengers getting off other buses, making them miss the n4x and forcing them on the n4.

I'd definitely take advantage of the n4x... if I was ever out when it was running.  I wonder how that n6 extension is doing now because I still remember the pain of having to go through all the stops at Nassau + the DSS building + that elementary school on Jackson Street getting out as my class did, so the bus would have to weave in between traffic and people swinging their doors wide open...

They should probably put up signs at each N4x stop showing which stops it stops at.

I have seen they have attached a laminated  flyer about the n4x at the stops I have seen, I think it has the stops but am not sure.if it has the stops.  These signs have a QR code that can be scanned with their smart phone, has anyone scanned this code?  I'm curious as to what it gives you, schedule, nice website, basic n4x info?

Also they should have a dispatcher in Jamaica Center and elsewhere (5 corners , etc) funneling people to the N4x if they're getting off at any of the express stops. When they realize how much faster it is they'll be hooked.

Do they have enough dispatcher to take away from their normal duties to do this?  Also, this would cost a lot of money, dispatchers make a lot of money and if this is extra work add time and a half, we're talking about a lot of money to funnel people onto the n4x.

What about NICE's student information ambassadors that they had/have at NICE?  Offer them minimum wage (I'm sure college kids would love some extra pocket money) on their days off to be sent to the major stops to talk to passengers waiting  about the n4x, give them a schedule, tell them what stops the n4x stops at, etc.  I think that is a great idea (if I do say so myself lol) because just riding the n4 to Jamaica and back to Freeport later in the day I noticed a lot of riders who may not be computer/internet users (the elderly, mentally/physically disabled) asking the drivers and they were (how to put this nicely) less than informative.

I'd definitely take advantage of the n4x... if I was ever out when it was running.

I think the problem right now is that connections are not lining up as it should with other connections, from what I've heard (talking to people in line at Freeport and Jamaica) is that n4x drivers are taking xpress to mean drive as fast as you can, yea the bus is getting to Freeport or Jamaica earlier but leaving behind people who are are scheduled to connect from other buses onto the n4x and want to take the n4x, but the bus is gone way before it is scheduled, leaving them to take the next bus which would be a n4...

Cindy (Not Full Name) the B/O came to our LIBRU meeting last night and she told us n6x extention is not working at all.

Even her B/Os friends and dispatcher told Veolia n6x extention wouldn't work at all. She told us n6x is now always late more than before.

Maybe they should have send n22A or n24 East Meadow bus to NCC Campus instead.

It's not just a matter of "sending a bus to xyz", it's also a matter of "what's needed". I'm guessing NICE did study what they could do to improve service to and from the NCC. Maybe that showed that people from NCC wanted a quick way to get to and from Queens (or a major stop in Nassau in the corridor the n6x serves). If that's the case then sending the n22A or n24 to NCC wasn't and isn't an option.

Are N4 and N4x buses usually on time during the week?  On Sunday afternoons, they regularly leave the Parsons/Archer and Freeport terminals 10 to 15 minutes late, and then two buses arive at the final destination at the same time.  I wish the N4x would run on weekends for people who want to save almost $20 round-trip on LIRR fares. That's a lot of money to save!!!

Everyone assumes everyone goes to work or school M-F 8-4 or 9-5, and wouldn't want to go into the city on weekends.  I was just talking to someone about this a few minutes ago, because the news casters always assumes everyone works M-F and has the weekends off.  "It's going to be nice for your weekend, with a chance of a shower for your commute back to work on Monday morning."  Oh and everyone has a 3 day weekend on federal holidays such as Columbus Day!...  Really?

On a side note I've seen weekend trains on the Babylon Branch just as packed as peak M-F "commuter" trains....

On a side note I've seen weekend trains on the Babylon Branch just as packed as peak M-F "commuter" trains....

Haven't seen that, but I will have to say that having been on the peak of the peak multiple times, the most crowded LIRR train I've ever ridden was by far a reverse-peak westbound during the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Weekend trains aren't actually that crowded (barring a major event/parade/sports game/holiday). They seem that way, and can even appear SRO/packed, because everyone tends to pile onto the cars by the platform stairwell, standing if necessary.

I've seen weekend trains going into the city on the Babylon branch at like 10am or 11am and trains and night trains get pretty full def maybe a few of the drunk trains get SRO but that's like you said cramming into certain cars.

Weekend trains aren't actually that crowded (barring a major event/parade/sports game/holiday). They seem that way, and can even appear SRO/packed, because everyone tends to pile onto the cars by the platform stairwell, standing if necessary.

I've seen this on eastbound peak and off peak trains everyone crowds in the cars by the stairs at Pen Station instead of walking down, I'm surprised how empty other cars are and everyone sandwiches themselves into a couple of cars.

Dude the N4 local is there use it. However not stopping at farmers is dumb.

If I had the choice I'd prefer the limited over the local. I used to work in Lynbrook and took the N4 from Central Ave to 5 Corners, I would prefer the N4x over the Local simply because it's faster.

Cindy (Not Full Name) the B/O came to our LIBRU meeting last night and she told us n6x extention is not working at all.

Even her B/Os friends and dispatcher told Veolia n6x extention wouldn't work at all. She told us n6x is now always late more than before.

Maybe they should have send n22A or n24 East Meadow bus to NCC Campus instead.

How does the scheduling work for that anyway? The N6x to NCC from HTC are one way trips.