NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

The LIRR is easily supplementing the n19 bus east of Sunrise mall...the railway is easily winning support because of its low cost...but here's to it, the $3 fare applies for ride between Babylon all the way to Rockville Centre in other words a user heading from Rockville Centre to points east of Sunrise mall can say who cares about the truncation of the n19 since the differences between the bus fare and the rail fare is a mere 25cents. ($3.00 compared to $2.75) and absurd. ..now lets talk about a ride from Babylon or points between Babylon and R.C. the railway fare is $6.50(more than 2 times more the base bus tariffs)

But hey is the burbs and in the suburbs all is to it ride on cars or lirr and waste 2-5 times of a regular bus fare

Now about the Montauk hwy segment that all depends of SCT and a possible extension of the s40 and Leave the s20 as that route serves as a parallel route and supplemental service (that is a Plan B)...also i guess my best suggestion for a passenger taking a M-F 8:30pm bus from Patchogue. (s40) is to tell the driver to make it at. Between 9:10pm and 9:15pm and catch up with the Last n72 bus. ..at evening hours a s40 bus takes 40-45 minutes to make the full route and if it leaves 8:30pm sharp then it would arrive before 9:15pm and thus make fairly easy connection.with the n72 (Last unit)

There's also a plan B making s40 extended to Sunrise mall to supplement the discontinued service of the n19..

Is sad that Suffolk county transit recauds far less more money than NICE but at least they care of the users. Like the case of the s66 extension to Riverhead or having the last s58 depart Riverhead at 6:45pm (before was at 5:45pm) and especially the new departure of a s92 from Orient Point at 6:40pm full route to East Hampton

SCT has made quite minor improvements and have fairly nice bus fleet and very nice bus drivers (possibly the most nicest jointly to cross sound CT Transit) NOT like NICE. ..that name shouldn't even been made...heck the acronym of NICE is Nassau Inter-County Express NOT i repeat NOT Intra-County. ..there's an E not an A in the last word of INTER

NICE knowing to be more richer than SCT is very greedy and cheapskate and to top it all out it buys new and expensive bus fleets heck leave the 90s bus fleet to 2020 and case dismissed

NICE isn't nice at all theyre MICE. > :(

please stop. The 90s buses were screwing service over badly and without MTA level maintenance the buses broke down destroying ridership keeping them would make things worse. SCT fares aren't cheap calculate the fare plus transfers and then multiply that with daily ridership and the cost of using SCT is greatly more expensive than NICE,MTA(bus/subway) metrocards. People don't care the local fare is a measly $3 and the LIRR is fast and frequent and 24/7 unlike the N19. The N19 barely had riders in suffolk LIers want to get to their destination quickly they won't slow down to save a measly 25 cents or $1. It isn't that serious if your job can't pay the fare get a closer one.  Ohh FYI the N19 to the N4 is absurdly long add in transfer time it is not worth the money saved cause of the time lost. Take the train the car is even more pricey the bus isn't practical for such a long trip.

Edited by Lordsaitamaboss

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

please stop. The 90s buses were screwing service over badly and without MTA level maintenance the buses broke down destroying ridership keeping them would make things worse. SCT fares aren't cheap calculate the fare plus transfers and then multiply that with daily ridership and the cost of using SCT is greatly more expensive than NICE,MTA(bus/subway) metrocards. People don't care the local fare is a measly $3 and the LIRR is fast and frequent and 24/7 unlike the N19. The N19 barely had riders in suffolk LIers want to get to their destination quickly they won't slow down to save a measly 25 cents or $1. It isn't that serious if your job can't pay the fare get a closer one.  Ohh FYI the N19 to the N4 is absurdly long add in transfer time it is not worth the money saved cause of the time lost. Take the train the car is even more pricey the bus isn't practical for such a long trip.

I honestly don't see bus service in Nassau lasting in 20 years. Could be wrong, but Nassau doesn't want it and you gotta go where the people go. You know, your opinions seem very similar to a former member on here, qjtransitmaster.

Suffolk County didn't have a route on Montauk Highway between Babylon and Sunrise Mall because the N19 was already providing that service. It's obvious that...

(1) Nassau County didn't want to keep that segment because it was in Suffolk County, and

(2) Suffolk didn't want to help pay for a service run by Nassau County.

Now that Nassau has abandoned that segment, it's up to Suffolk to decide whether to run something there or not.

Suffolk would never do it, especially since the reason the NICE claimed they abandoned it was because of lack of ridership.  Not to mention that Suffolk already has a route that goes to and from the same places. 

It will be very beneficial to suffolk county residents to extend S1 to sunrise mall. It would be more useful than the N54/55 to amityville.

Only way that would happen would be if it's shown to be more beneficial to S1 riders having the route go to Sunrise Mall then having to Transfer to the S33 or any other route. 

There's also a plan B making s40 extended to Sunrise mall to supplement the discontinued service of the n19..

It's getting really annoying hearing you always take about extending the S40. That's most likely never going to happen.  

Edited by mac5689

I honestly don't see bus service in Nassau lasting in 20 years. Could be wrong, but Nassau doesn't want it and you gotta go where the people go. You know, your opinions seem very similar to a former member on here, qjtransitmaster.

huh? how so? Ohh well Clayton county GA is getting their bus service back so things can change in nassau in favor of NICE. MTA's reverse peak service would increase transit use and force NICE to restructure. 20 years is a long time many things can change in that period you never know. Will the lost routes return not in the way they were ran before though.

huh? how so? Ohh well Clayton county GA is getting their bus service back so things can change in nassau in favor of NICE. MTA's reverse peak service would increase transit use and force NICE to restructure. 20 years is a long time many things can change in that period you never know. Will the lost routes return not in the way they were ran before though.

Look at the average income in Clayton County that you mentioned vs Nassau County. It's almost double meaning more people can afford a car or god forbid, to take one of Mangano's cabs.

Also, looks like CBS picked up the NICE story instead of just the local stations: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2016/01/18/11-nice-bus-routes-eliminated-due-to-budget-constraints-low-ridership/

Well it just has to get accustomed to the new modifications. ..hope someday a miracle can happen

I guess all this discussion of the last runs has something to do for people who lack in waking up early

Guess I'll have to tell the semilast s40 (8:30pm) to make it before 9:15pm to connect the n72...after all a s40evening run patchogue to Babylon is 40-45 minutes

RIP n19 Suffolk segment may you repose quietly thank you for all your service. ..NICE bus #1726 would be considers (as well as the LAST n20 to flushing bus disc code) sacred

Lets just change subject...go on

Well it just has to get accustomed to the new modifications. ..hope someday a miracle can happen

I guess all this discussion of the last runs has something to do for people who lack in waking up early

Guess I'll have to tell the semilast s40 (8:30pm) to make it before 9:15pm to connect the n72...after all a s40evening run patchogue to Babylon is 40-45 minutes

RIP n19 Suffolk segment may you repose quietly thank you for all your service. ..NICE bus #1726 would be considers (as well as the LAST n20 to flushing bus disc code) sacred

Lets just change subject...go on

It isn't that bad.

Popped into Great Neck today at around 3:30pm. The stops on Northern Blvd were empty and there were long lines for both n20 buses at the LIRR station. One did show up, but also had the broken "A1 Message" destination sign. I was right that buses are still on layover in the same spot east of the stationhouse, just north of the tracks. The new n57/n58/n25/n26 bus stop causes a traffic jam during rush hours now since N Station Plaza is a one lane road each way and only 2 buses can fit in the pullover spot.

Edited by MTA Orion Bus

Exposing the low ridership of the N19 LOL. If you are all the way that deep in Suffolk you should be using the LIRR then get off in Nassau and take N40/43 or N72 at babylon.

where did you get ridership numbers for suffolk county bus routes?

What if you live by Montauk Highway and need to walk all the way up to the LIRR? What if you're going to the Sunrise Mall, which isn't near an LIRR station? What if you need the n71, that's a three-legged transfer and a long walk (LIRR-n54/55-n71).

As for the ridership numbers, PM me your email, QJT.

The LIRR doesn't offer transfers, so you have to pay full fare if you need to get to say, Roosevelt. I agree that the LIRR is generally a better option, even for the extra money, but at the same time, there were some people (however few) where the bus was better for their trip.

It's funny how people say "use LIRR" as an alternative when it's more expensive, can't get free transfers to the bus, can't use an unlimited metrocard, the stations at least a mile a part, the trains are infrequent and the stations aren't really near anything.

Edited by N6 Limited

It's funny how people say "use LIRR" as an alternative when it's more expensive, can't get free transfers to the bus, can't use an unlimited metrocard, the stations at least a mile a part, the trains are infrequent and the stations aren't really near anything.

And yet, LIRR ridership continues to go up while NICE ridership continues to go down! God bless the MTA!

Popped into Great Neck today at around 3:30pm. The stops on Northern Blvd were empty and there were long lines for both n20 buses at the LIRR station. One did show up, but also had the broken "A1 Message" destination sign. I was right that buses are still on layover in the same spot east of the stationhouse, just north of the tracks. The new n57/n58/n25/n26 bus stop causes a traffic jam during rush hours now since N Station Plaza is a one lane road each way and only 2 buses can fit in the pullover spot.

North Station Plaza is two-ways street also. LIRR should let some NICE Bus layover by waiting room also.

Actually some bus drivers parked across from hotel as well.

Edited by FamousNYLover

Babylon line is 24/7 and runs every 30 minutes how often does N19 run? I noticed that after N80/81 elimination no buses in massapequa serve the LIRR N55/54 do it poorly sort  of. N19  and N71 do not even serve massapequa park or amityville which are the 2 closest stations in that area yet they continue to wonder "why u not use my bus?" LOL. FYI ticket collection is hit or miss at $3 or more based on distance sadly no more connecting buses low ridership killed them.

I still hope some money is found in order to bring back some of the routes. Without a doubt, I would bring back the n73 and n81. It doesnt have to be with the same amount of trips they have had. They can run at 80-90 minute headways on Saturdays. It would still be better than leaving the whole Southeastern Nassau area without service.

The n50 could come back, but I would widen the headway so that only one bus is needed the entire day, but that's only after restoring thr n73 and n81.

North Station Plaza is two-ways street also. LIRR should let some NICE Bus layover by waiting room also.

Actually some bus drivers parked across from hotel as well.

Buses aren't allowed to pull into that waiting room driveway. It's only for dropoffs and pickups.

Babylon line is 24/7 and runs every 30 minutes how often does N19 run? I noticed that after N80/81 elimination no buses in massapequa serve the LIRR N55/54 do it poorly sort  of. N19  and N71 do not even serve massapequa park or amityville which are the 2 closest stations in that area yet they continue to wonder "why u not use my bus?" LOL. FYI ticket collection is hit or miss at $3 or more based on distance sadly no more connecting buses low ridership killed them.

Checkmate calls it crappy, most people prefer it over the bus. The facts speak for themselves. LIRR strikes again!

I still hope some money is found in order to bring back some of the routes. Without a doubt, I would bring back the n73 and n81. It doesnt have to be with the same amount of trips they have had. They can run at 80-90 minute headways on Saturdays. It would still be better than leaving the whole Southeastern Nassau area without service.

The n50 could come back, but I would widen the headway so that only one bus is needed the entire day, but that's only after restoring thr n73 and n81.

Let's wait and see over the long term what resources NICE actually commits to the busier routes that would otherwise be committed to those 11 defunct routes...

Buses aren't allowed to pull into that waiting room driveway. It's only for dropoffs and pickups.

Checkmate calls it crappy, most people prefer it over the bus. The facts speak for themselves. LIRR strikes again!

Let's wait and see over the long term what resources NICE actually commits to the busier routes that would otherwise be committed to those 11 defunct routes...

The fact that the N71 and N19 do not reach the nearby LIRR stations doesn't help at all. Plus sunrise mall isn't exactly booming with ridership even for the N55/54. Most need to realize that NICE can't fight the LIRR when the bus tries to compete with LIRR it loses badly (NICE bus) NICE would be wise to rethink all the routes in the eastern part of the county even the N22 which is excessively long. In fact N48/49 72 and 71 and 19 need to be thought over as well as N20.

Nope N50 was a very poor performer. N73 would have to be completely done over. If there is to be any bus service in southeast nassau it needs to be thought over and done over but definitely not by bringing back those routes as they were obviously their routing patterns were heavily flawed and not working. As in start over from scratch this may even involve other routes being sent elsewhere oh well case by case basis. It doesn't help when people have access to expensive cars and the bus doesn't have amenities those types demand but then again neither do most city buses.

Edited by Lordsaitamaboss

NICE should set its differences aside and reconcile with powerhouse MTA. ..by then 3/4 of all discontinued routes would be resuscitated (especially the n19 Sunrise mall-Babylon. And the whole n20)

BTW the n20G shouldn't have existed since it has 80% its stops in queens and 20% in Nassau (county this route belongs to)...as such it should be remembered (and hence be transferred to the MTA as the Q90 (MTA Bus)

NICE should set its differences aside and reconcile with powerhouse MTA. ..by then 3/4 of all discontinued routes would be resuscitated (especially the n19 Sunrise mall-Babylon. And the whole n20)

BTW the n20G shouldn't have existed since it has 80% its stops in queens and 20% in Nassau (county this route belongs to)...as such it should be remembered (and hence be transferred to the MTA as the Q90 (MTA Bus)

What does the MTA gain by coming back to run Nassau's buses?

The MTA's proposed service cuts would've been much worse for Nassau County. On-top of current routes eliminated, the n47, n54/55, the n19 in its entirety, and the n1 were to be eliminated, in addition to several other reductions (n16 Saturday service and n25 Sunday service eliminated). There is no way bringing back the MTA would mean getting back these routes, let alone maintaining the current bus system as is.

MTA would be able to take over the N20G and run it as Q12 LTD and finally those Q12 folks begging for LTD stop service can get what they need not having to be bound by infrequent LIRR service (within queens) or slow Q12 local service. It would probably carry more than the N20 and even force the MTA to run it as a  SBS line we all know how those speed up dwell times. Then that traffic will be the MTA's problem sparing the N20H from that hot mess. 

The MTA's proposed service cuts would've been much worse for Nassau County. On-top of current routes eliminated, the n47, n54/55, the n19 in its entirety, and the n1 were to be eliminated, in addition to several other reductions (n16 Saturday service and n25 Sunday service eliminated). There is no way bringing back the MTA would mean getting back these routes, let alone maintaining the current bus system as is.

Look at facebook they still think the MTA would be better actually it would be worse N1,19,& 55/54 get utilized very well drop those then people flipping tables would be a reasonable reaction those routes get used well and have a low cost per rider nothing will be gained by dropping those routes.

MTA would be able to take over the N20G and run it as Q12 LTD and finally those Q12 folks begging for LTD stop service can get what they need not having to be bound by infrequent LIRR service (within queens) or slow Q12 local service. It would probably carry more than the N20 and even force the MTA to run it as a  SBS line we all know how those speed up dwell times. Then that traffic will be the MTA's problem sparing the N20H from that hot mess. 

But the Q12 alone can't handle the long lines at Great Neck, the people transferring from the n20H/n21, and regular riders in Queens. The route would get pretty packed before it even reaches Flushing.

If with the MTA, why would the MTA eliminate many of those routes. ..i mean the MTA has a lot of money. ..i get that the reductions suffered by NICE is because they're running solo w/o support of a more bigger authority. ..but why is it that with MTA is more worst. ..that im surprised

Take for example the s42 (S.I.) it is one of the lowest rided bus routes of the MTA still it is alive because it has support from other bus routes covering Staten island

Nothing, it gets screwed because Nassau County is run by corrupt idiots.

Look at facebook they still think the MTA would be better actually it would be worse N1,19,& 55/54 get utilized very well drop those then people flipping tables would be a reasonable reaction those routes get used well and have a low cost per rider nothing will be gained by dropping those routes.

I'd like to see a trial run of a Q12 LTD to Great Neck, and how it performs on several scales (reliability, scheduling, ridership, etc). A lot of people put down the idea, but if you think about it, a lot of the MTA's crazy plans have worked out in the past. Look at the new Q36 route. While yes that's all within Queens, but it's a good example because, due to that extension, ridership along Little Neck Pkwy increased. I'm not saying the MTA has to come in to run the entire Nassau bus system. But if it took over or merged with some of the Nassau-Queens routes, it may work out, and then we can scrap every other route since most people in the county don't want them anyway.