NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

I don't remember seeing this before:

They announced it a couple of days ago. I can see why. The lines for the n20G, n20H will be longer than the original n20/21 lines due to Great Neck LIRR being THE transfer point now. So to reduce crowding and safety issues, they moved the stops where the n25/26 buses hang out on layover anyway, in front of the n57/58 bus stop.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was afraid NICE was going keep the bad routing on the n19 to/from the mall.  Nope, they made it worse!  I didn't even think that was possible.  I've been a big advocate for NICE but boy did they eff this one up.  ....They kept the portion of the route ti the mall where the bus lost the most amount of time and picked up the least amount of passengers.  The riders would have been much better off axing the n19 to Sunrise mall and routing the bus to Amityville RR via either Clocks Blvd. or County Line Rd..  Actually the n19 would have been better just eliminating the Sunrise Mall years ago as it takes about as much time to get to the mall and back to Merrick as it does to get from the Amityvile/Massapequa border to Babylon.  Problem solved! Seriously, have those who decided to terminate the n19 at the Mall and dedcided to keep the messed up routing to/from the mall ever ridden the n19?

I don't think it's officially Suffolk's problem as Sunrise Mall falls in Nassau County. 

Suffolk should stand on an equally stupid platform and terminate service to Sunrise, start/stop routes at Amityville, RR and totally screw over all riders on the Nassau Suffolk south shore border.

I look at NICE's layout of the town placement's on the new n19 map and chuckle at the vision of the person laying the placements of the towns who has obviously never been out here. lol

Why did they even put Amityville on the Map?  Just to remind those in Suffolk that the bus no longer goes out there?  lol

I'm also annoyed at Cumo!  Billions announced in "public transportation!' but he allows these cuts to go through? Apparently to him public transportation only means LIRR bringing people who work in Manhattan an easier ride and getting vehicles from Long Island to Westchester County.

I was afraid NICE was going keep the bad routing on the n19 to/from the mall.  Nope, they made it worse!  I didn't even think that was possible.  I've been a big advocate for NICE but boy did they eff this one up.  ....They kept the portion of the route ti the mall where the bus lost the most amount of time and picked up the least amount of passengers.  The riders would have been much better off axing the n19 to Sunrise mall and routing the bus to Amityville RR via either Clocks Blvd. or County Line Rd..  Actually the n19 would have been better just eliminating the Sunrise Mall years ago as it takes about as much time to get to the mall and back to Merrick as it does to get from the Amityvile/Massapequa border to Babylon.  Problem solved! Seriously, have those who decided to terminate the n19 at the Mall and dedcided to keep the messed up routing to/from the mall ever ridden the n19?

The mall's a ridership generator, so it has to be served - are you saying they should've routed it up County Line Road and across Louden St instead?

The mall's a ridership generator, so it has to be served -

It's really not, not since Walmart left....

- are you saying they should've routed it up County Line Road and across Louden St instead?

While a better route to the mall than it takes now I'm saying it should take Clocks Blvd or County Line Rd to Oak St and into the Amityville RR.  There are links to more transportation there and if someone wanted/needed to get to the mall they have many options there to get them to the mall including the n54/55.  OR the should have just eliminate the routing to the mall and back and had the n19 run straight from Freeport/Babylon via Merrick/Montauk...  Almost anything would have been better than what they did...

They announced it a couple of days ago. I can see why. The lines for the n20G, n20H will be longer than the original n20/21 lines due to Great Neck LIRR being THE transfer point now. So to reduce crowding and safety issues, they moved the stops where the n25/26 buses hang out on layover anyway, in front of the n57/58 bus stop.

Also, it probably helps when the n25/58 interline, to have the buses on the same side of the station.

I don't think it's officially Suffolk's problem as Sunrise Mall falls in Nassau County. 

The n54/55 cover the portion to Amityville, so in terms of ridership generators, everything is covered. NICE isn't really obligated to provide service right up to the county line.

The only thing that's good is that it maintains service to the shopping center across the street from the Sunrise Mall.(without having to cross Sunrise Highway). Otherwise, I agree that the having enter through Louden Street would've been better.

While a better route to the mall than it takes now I'm saying it should take Clocks Blvd or County Line Rd to Oak St and into the Amityville RR.  There are links to more transportation there and if someone wanted/needed to get to the mall they have many options there to get them to the mall including the n54/55.  OR the should have just eliminate the routing to the mall and back and had the n19 run straight from Freeport/Babylon via Merrick/Montauk...  Almost anything would have been better than what they did...

The thing is that the one main difference between the n19 & Babylon branch in that area is that the LIRR doesn't serve the mall, while the n19 does. I don't think it's worth cutting it back from the mall entirely, but I agree that the routing around the mall should be changed.

middle neck and northern is also a transfer point too.

Also, it probably helps when the n25/58 interline, to have the buses on the same side of the station.

The n54/55 cover the portion to Amityville, so in terms of ridership generators, everything is covered. NICE isn't really obligated to provide service right up to the county line.

The only thing that's good is that it maintains service to the shopping center across the street from the Sunrise Mall.(without having to cross Sunrise Highway). Otherwise, I agree that the having enter through Louden Street would've been better.

The thing is that the one main difference between the n19 & Babylon branch in that area is that the LIRR doesn't serve the mall, while the n19 does. I don't think it's worth cutting it back from the mall entirely, but I agree that the routing around the mall should be changed.

To be fair the sunrise mall itself is a bit dead N71 and N19 do not even link to the nearest LIRR stations. Bus service there should have been reworked a long time ago N80/81 should have never been standalone routes for so long. Oh well they are dead. A handful of people used the buses there.

With the number of buses that were on layover there, and the fact there will probably be more buses on layover at Great Neck now during rush hours with the split of the n20, they will still be parked in that same spot (North Station Plaza Road east of Park Place) because that's the only place there's adequate room for multiple buses. That means they'll still have to go around the station to get to the bus stop since you can't just back up on a road like that.

middle neck and northern is also a transfer point too.

Yes, it is. But the LIRR station itself is still a major transfer hub and will handle majority of those transferring most likely because it has the shelters and the benches, and is probably the focus of a bunch of people's destinations.

With the number of buses that were on layover there, and the fact there will probably be more buses on layover at Great Neck now during rush hours with the split of the n20, they will still be parked in that same spot (North Station Plaza Road east of Park Place) because that's the only place there's adequate room for multiple buses. That means they'll still have to go around the station to get to the bus stop since you can't just back up on a road like that.

Yes, it is. But the LIRR station itself is still a major transfer hub and will handle majority of those transferring most likely because it has the shelters and the benches, and is probably the focus of a bunch of people's destinations.

meaning final destination. This means there are 2 ways to speed up the trip one get off at middle neck road and chase down a N20H that already left allowing you to skip great neck or use LIRR to catch the N20H

Actually the n19 would have been better just eliminating the Sunrise Mall years ago as it takes about as much time to get to the mall and back to Merrick as it does to get from the Amityvile/Massapequa border to Babylon.  Problem solved! Seriously, have those who decided to terminate the n19 at the Mall and dedcided to keep the messed up routing to/from the mall ever ridden the n19?

I forgot to mention in my original post that the n19 had a lot of excess runtime east of Sunrise. Whenever I've taken it, the B/O had to wait at timepoints, miss traffic lights, etc (Which is in contrast to some of the routes to Queens where B/Os have to put the pedal to the metal to stay on schedule). For that matter, it doesn't take 10 minutes for the n54/55 to get from Sunrise to Amityville, an issue which still hasn't been fixed.

Well let me say that i rode in which was the LAST n19 bus from Babylon to Freeport via Sunrise mall...the bus route disc number #1726 departed Babylon with 2 passengers (incl myself) and received a third passenger in copiague. ..it arrived Sunrise Mall at 10:05pm departed 10:10pm and received 5 passengers. ..the route received two more passengers in itinerary. .in total it transported 10 passengers (3 east of Sunrise and 7 west of Sunrise) ...it arrived at 10:40pm Freeport

Also at Babylon i also took photos of the Last n72 and received 6 passengers

As said i was to say farewell to the n19 Babylon- Freeport. ..i also sell farewell to the n20 route from Flushimg to Hicksville

Now here's where is my suggestion. ..as i took the n20 to Hicksville i chose to transfer to the n79 which i ALMOST missed transfer but luckily the n79 arrived late...i rode to WWM and connected to the s54 to patchogue which i saw a whole different look on the VERY NEW Bus hub adjacent the RR Station with three bus shelters (totally New) and two totally new and shiny bus stop signs. ..the bus transfer at the court site is obsolete and the area where the s40 and s66 picked up was redesigned as marked parking spots even the bus shelters were torn down so sad but heck that bus hub was too far away from the train station

Now i boarded the last s40 at 7:30pm and the bus arrived at 8:15pm. ..which means that it takes nominal 45 minutes for a s40 to run from patchogue to Babylon. ..in other cases from M-F if i take the s40 departing at 8:30pm towards Babylon it should arrive at on time 9:15Pm at right time to the LAST n72..that semi last s40 should arrive at 9:13-9:14pm to coordinate with the last n72 which is trur now the n72 departs at 9:15pm and not 9:20pm

NICE must readjust the n72 scheduling

Yes, but east of the mall is Suffolk County. There's no reason why Nassau County taxpayers should be responsible for providing service in Suffolk County.

So Suffolk County taxpayers should be responsible for paying for bus service that Nassau doesn't want? News for you most Suffolk Taxpayers don't even like paying for Suffolk Bus Service. Suffolk County is only responsible to the riders that ride their system, they aren't responsible for those who ride Nassau's bus system. 

Suffolk should stand on an equally stupid platform and terminate service to Sunrise, start/stop routes at Amityville, RR and totally screw over all riders on the Nassau Suffolk south shore border.

I don't know the S20's ridership though I wouldn't be surprised if that was on the list of least used bus routes that Suffolk was talking about cutting a few months back.  

I'm also annoyed at Cumo!  Billions announced in "public transportation!' but he allows these cuts to go through? Apparently to him public transportation only means LIRR bringing people who work in Manhattan an easier ride and getting vehicles from Long Island to Westchester County.

NICE and SCT are going to be splitting a bunch of money from the state, I forget the amount though II do recall it was a couple million. NICE also claimed that if they were to get more money that they would reverse the cuts, lets see if they hold true to their word when they get the money. 

Why does the n79 run down Plainview Road? I don't think I've ever seen anyone take the bus from any stop between New South Road and E Marie St. Now that the n81 is gone it should probably run that way...yes it's a little added distance but it shouldn't add all that much runtime...

It's actually the reverse. I've always gotten pass. on & off on Plainview Rd when I drove the 79,while almost none get on or off on the 81 portion of Old Country.

Providing bus service east of Sunrise Mall is now officially Suffolk's problem, not NICE. I guess folks can take the train to Massapeaqua and then take the n55 to the mall from there.

The N55 does not serve Amityville on Sun.

meaning final destination. This means there are 2 ways to speed up the trip one get off at middle neck road and chase down a N20H that already left allowing you to skip great neck or use LIRR to catch the N20H

This is nothing new. People have been doing this for years. The only problem is-you take a chance of even getting on a bus there,as they very often are full & flag that stop.

So Suffolk County taxpayers should be responsible for paying for bus service that Nassau doesn't want? News for you most Suffolk Taxpayers don't even like paying for Suffolk Bus Service. Suffolk County is only responsible to the riders that ride their system, they aren't responsible for those who ride Nassau's bus system.

It's within their jurisdiction, and the primary beneficiaries of the service are Suffolk County residents.

I don't know the S20's ridership though I wouldn't be surprised if that was on the list of least used bus routes that Suffolk was talking about cutting a few months back. 

It's middle-of-the-pack ridership-wise. Around 3,800 riders per month back in 2012.

It's actually the reverse. I've always gotten pass. on & off on Plainview Rd when I drove the 79,while almost none get on or off on the 81 portion of Old Country.

The N55 does not serve Amityville on Sun.

It still runs west of Sunrise which means it can be caught at Massapequa or Massapequa Park.

If so much dealing with NICE buses in Suffolk county then eliminate all service of the n55,70,72 and 79 east of the border. ..all NICE wants is within Nassau county they dont care of the best of the users just themselves ...i think that the n72 is alive still because it like the n78 passed just barely the umbral test...that is all service east of farmingdale on the n72 and all n78...as for the n55 its terminus at Amityville is at use because of its very close to the sunrise mall (about 1km ) and won't waste too much gasoline but Amityville falls between Suffolk county jurisdiction but it has close ties to Nassau county since sunrise mall is more close to amityville centre than to Massapequa park ctr

Another thing the s20,33 can't be scrapped from terminating at the mall just because it is in Nassau county. ..sunrise mall is a parody of the green acres mall..two MTA buses terminate there and thus leaving the city limits for a few blocks. ..the s20,33 only passes two blocks west of the line until it terminates at the mall

P.s:I'm not favouring scrapping NICE routes. From Suffolk county I'm very in favour it was just a sarcastic speech not to be minded seriously

Heck im still mourning the truncation of the n19 and seperation of the n20. :(

They don't have to reverse all the cuts. However, bus routes such as the n50, n73 (no devation into Levittown), and n81 should return. The others can be returned on a case-by-case basis.

Nassau County isn't willing to pay for those routes now and probably won't be willing later.

Edited by Gotham Bus Co.

Suffolk County didn't have a route on Montauk Highway between Babylon and Sunrise Mall because the N19 was already providing that service. It's obvious that...

(1) Nassau County didn't want to keep that segment because it was in Suffolk County, and

(2) Suffolk didn't want to help pay for a service run by Nassau County.

Now that Nassau has abandoned that segment, it's up to Suffolk to decide whether to run something there or not.

Well let me say that i rode in which was the LAST n19 bus from Babylon to Freeport via Sunrise mall...the bus route disc number #1726 departed Babylon with 2 passengers (incl myself) and received a third passenger in copiague. ..it arrived Sunrise Mall at 10:05pm departed 10:10pm and received 5 passengers. ..the route received two more passengers in itinerary. .in total it transported 10 passengers (3 east of Sunrise and 7 west of Sunrise) ...it arrived at 10:40pm Freeport

Also at Babylon i also took photos of the Last n72 and received 6 passengers

As said i was to say farewell to the n19 Babylon- Freeport. ..i also sell farewell to the n20 route from Flushimg to Hicksville

too bad 

Now here's where is my suggestion. ..as i took the n20 to Hicksville i chose to transfer to the n79 which i ALMOST missed transfer but luckily the n79 arrived late...i rode to WWM and connected to the s54 to patchogue which i saw a whole different look on the VERY NEW Bus hub adjacent the RR Station with three bus shelters (totally New) and two totally new and shiny bus stop signs. ..the bus transfer at the court site is obsolete and the area where the s40 and s66 picked up was redesigned as marked parking spots even the bus shelters were torn down so sad but heck that bus hub was too far away from the train station

Now i boarded the last s40 at 7:30pm and the bus arrived at 8:15pm. ..which means that it takes nominal 45 minutes for a s40 to run from patchogue to Babylon. ..in other cases from M-F if i take the s40 departing at 8:30pm towards Babylon it should arrive at on time 9:15Pm at right time to the LAST n72..that semi last s40 should arrive at 9:13-9:14pm to coordinate with the last n72 which is trur now the n72 departs at 9:15pm and not 9:20pm

NICE must readjust the n72 scheduling

Exposing the low ridership of the N19 LOL. If you are all the way that deep in Suffolk you should be using the LIRR then get off in Nassau and take N40/43 or N72 at babylon.

Without N20 at Flushing N20 to Hicksville will be way more reliable. 15 minute northern blvd service between roslyn and great neck.

Yes, but east of the mall is Suffolk County. There's no reason why Nassau County taxpayers should be responsible for providing service in Suffolk County.

agreed besides let em take the train.

NICE and SCT are going to be splitting a bunch of money from the state, I forget the amount though II do recall it was a couple million. NICE also claimed that if they were to get more money that they would reverse the cuts, lets see if they hold true to their word when they get the money. 

It will be very beneficial to suffolk county residents to extend S1 to sunrise mall. It would be more useful than the N54/55 to amityville.

It's within their jurisdiction, and the primary beneficiaries of the service are Suffolk County residents.

It's middle-of-the-pack ridership-wise. Around 3,800 riders per month back in 2012.

It still runs west of Sunrise which means it can be caught at Massapequa or Massapequa Park.

where did you get ridership numbers for suffolk county bus routes?

The LIRR is easily supplementing the n19 bus east of Sunrise mall...the railway is easily winning support because of its low cost...but here's to it, the $3 fare applies for ride between Babylon all the way to Rockville Centre in other words a user heading from Rockville Centre to points east of Sunrise mall can say who cares about the truncation of the n19 since the differences between the bus fare and the rail fare is a mere 25cents. ($3.00 compared to $2.75) and absurd. ..now lets talk about a ride from Babylon or points between Babylon and R.C. the railway fare is $6.50(more than 2 times more the base bus tariffs)

But hey is the burbs and in the suburbs all is to it ride on cars or lirr and waste 2-5 times of a regular bus fare

Now about the Montauk hwy segment that all depends of SCT and a possible extension of the s40 and Leave the s20 as that route serves as a parallel route and supplemental service (that is a Plan B)...also i guess my best suggestion for a passenger taking a M-F 8:30pm bus from Patchogue. (s40) is to tell the driver to make it at. Between 9:10pm and 9:15pm and catch up with the Last n72 bus. ..at evening hours a s40 bus takes 40-45 minutes to make the full route and if it leaves 8:30pm sharp then it would arrive before 9:15pm and thus make fairly easy connection.with the n72 (Last unit)

There's also a plan B making s40 extended to Sunrise mall to supplement the discontinued service of the n19..

Is sad that Suffolk county transit recauds far less more money than NICE but at least they care of the users. Like the case of the s66 extension to Riverhead or having the last s58 depart Riverhead at 6:45pm (before was at 5:45pm) and especially the new departure of a s92 from Orient Point at 6:40pm full route to East Hampton

SCT has made quite minor improvements and have fairly nice bus fleet and very nice bus drivers (possibly the most nicest jointly to cross sound CT Transit) NOT like NICE. ..that name shouldn't even been made...heck the acronym of NICE is Nassau Inter-County Express NOT i repeat NOT Intra-County. ..there's an E not an A in the last word of INTER

NICE knowing to be more richer than SCT is very greedy and cheapskate and to top it all out it buys new and expensive bus fleets heck leave the 90s bus fleet to 2020 and case dismissed

NICE isn't nice at all theyre MICE. >:(