More 76th st. proof?

The Tram man

Sorry for digging this up after more than a year, but i read through http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f180/ind-76th-street-station-4853-6.html#post379333 again and at the same time found something which has not been posted there. I found this on nycsubway.org: http://images.nycsubway.org/trackmap/detail-pitkin.png. Note that all four tracks past Euclid ave. ends at the same place, without the zig-zag wall mentioned in the previous thread, and that there are tracks going from Pitkin Yard towards the alleged location of 76th street station.

Again, im sorry for digging up this thread after more than a year. I have no idea how old that track layout is, and i know the previous thread started with a link to an April fools joke, but i thought this might be worth sharing.

You can see to the right those layup tracks, and you can see some station-like rectangles next to those tracks.

This photo was actually uploaded to nycsubway.org yesterday (3/1/2012) and the description says its from 11/23/1948.

Not my photo. From the collection of Frank Pfuhler:

img_130986.jpg

Those tracks are for the (C) Layup When they go out of service.

Er, no. The (C) relays on the yard leads, which is why the yard leads are colored blue for revenue service and the tracks Tramman is talking about are colored black. Note that if a train continued on track 1 from Euclid Avenue to the bumper blocks, there are no switches for it to get from there to track 4.

Those tracks are in fact the provision built for the line to 76th Street. The only question is what lies beyond the bumper blocks and wall.

Er, no. The (C) relays on the yard leads, which is why the yard leads are colored blue for revenue service and the tracks Tramman is talking about are colored black. Note that if a train continued on track 1 from Euclid Avenue to the bumper blocks, there are no switches for it to get from there to track 4.

Those tracks are in fact the provision built for the line to 76th Street. The only question is what lies beyond the bumper blocks and wall.

Your flat out wrong, after commission hours tracks A2, 3, and 4 are used as lay-up tracks for (C) trains. They don't use those tracks to turn (C) trains, they use the yard leads for that. Track A1 isn't used because you need to wrong rail back into Euclid Av for a train stored there to be put in service.

Dan works for the TA, i'm sure he would know better then you about this.

Your flat out wrong, after commission hours tracks A2, 3, and 4 are used as lay-up tracks for (C) trains. They don't use those tracks to turn (C) trains, they use the yard leads for that. Track A1 isn't used because you need to wrong rail back into Euclid Av for a train stored there to be put in service.

Dan works for the TA, i'm sure he would know better then you about this.

Sincerest apologies. I had a brain fart, read the word layup, and thought the word relay. (The words out of service should have been a clue.) And you're absolutely right -- not that you needed me to tell you that -- any of the other 3 tracks could easily be used for this.

(As an aside to Grand Concourse in response to something he said to me in another thread, this is what happens when I don't think before I post.)

Regardless though, those tracks do lead to the 76th Street station/shell/whatever the heck exists behind that wall.

ETA: Not to correct you or Dan, because you do in fact know more than me. Rather an honest question for my own edification... Are you sure Track 4 can be used there? How does a (C) train get to Track 4 without doing the same amount of wrong-railing it would to get to/from Track 1?

• 6 months later...

LOL. It's never gonna go away. There were times when the polo grounds shuttle was a myth. there are other shells that we know of around the system that were eventually "discovered". This one in particular has almost no evidence due to well,lack of record keeping compared to today's times. Even a new york times article a few years back was written about this. It's a mystery and human nature is to solve these mysteries

Wow! 76th street. The Area 51 of the MTA.

I wouldn't go so far as compaire it to area 51 because atleast the government now admits what they do in nevada and people are free to talk about the old days.

http://seattletimes....a51vets28m.html

hell, Google Earth you can zoom right down on top of it. There are 3D building models and the spot is even marked as an airport, which wiki even has the airport code for.

A huge shell filled with sand? It's a possibility. Better to find out than wonder though.......

Indeed. And maybe it isn't filled. We also thought that the Atlantic Ave tunnel was filled in but aside from block walls it was never filled in. So who knows. Maybe they didn't fill 76st either and just put a block wall there. I mean, there's not really big chance someone is gonna dig it up anyway...

@CT1660: Nice find! :D

• 1 month later...

Your flat out wrong, after commission hours tracks A2, 3, and 4 are used as lay-up tracks for © trains. They don't use those tracks to turn © trains, they use the yard leads for that. Track A1 isn't used because you need to wrong rail back into Euclid Av for a train stored there to be put in service.

Ummm... No? Trk A1 is used for layups/storage with the A/C. Matter of fact, they had a R32 C stored there just last night on A1, right up to the bumper.

BTW, trk A2 was the layup they NEVER used. It was just recently cleaned of loads of garbage and waste, was literally about 5ft high mound of refuse, stretching about 15-20ft just before the E Exit, approximately 150ft from the bumper block (would prohibit train laying up there). I do believe that that was the reason why they didn't use A2 and will shortly. Damn cleaners just dumping all that refuse out the open car doors onto the trks....

They were wrong railing the C out of A1 into Euclid, then down the yard leads and then back over to trks A2/A4.

• 3 months later...

Archived