Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

The N24 always has issues on Jericho Turnpike.  I dread taking it to Hicksville because it always gets held up around Nassau Terminal Road and it doesn't let up until it gets past Chaminade, and by then it's lost at least 5-10 minutes of time.  Don't even get me started on the OCR + Ring Road signals.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You just want ridership to drop even more. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. Combination of routes won't help....proper FUNDING does....

---------------------------

NICE is expected to get up to 30 of the Foothill Transit Orion V CNGs.

it would save money by making routes that go to places of interest but funding would end the reliability issue. Then again with reliability as it is any extensions even if short can backfire.

Who was better at running the Nassau routes? Did the MTA or Veolia do it better? As far I know buses are still breaking down too much. The only way 2-4 year old buses would be breaking down all the time is because there is simply not enough money to fund this system for proper maintance. It's crazy because Nassau County is one of the richest counties but can't chalk up some $$$ to fund their bus system. I don't know why people often say the (MTA) ran the system worst than Veolia when all the MTA wanted was more money to run the system which makese sense. The MTA already had the LIRR, the Metro North, NYCT, MTA Buses and the Bridges to focus on and Nassau was complaining. I honestly think in certain ways the MTA did run LIB better but buses broke down, break down even more now because the $$ is not being put in to run the system. What a shame and it's not like the county doesn't have the money.

Edited by NewFlyer 230

Who was better at running the Nassau routes? Did the MTA or Veolia do it better? As far I know buses are still breaking down too much. The only way 2-4 year old buses would be breaking down all the time is because there is simply not enough money to fund this system for proper maintance. It's crazy because Nassau County is one of the richest counties but can't chalk up some $$$ to fund their bus system. I don't know why people often say the (MTA) ran the system worst than Veolia when all the MTA wanted was more money to run the system which makese sense. The MTA already had the LIRR, the Metro North, NYCT, MTA Buses and the Bridges to focus on and Nassau was complaining. I honestly think in certain ways the MTA did run LIB better but buses broke down, break down even more now because the $$ is not being put in to run the system. What a shame and it's not like the county doesn't have the money.

what would happen if n6 combined with N49? Would it end up like the n22?

NICE sucks.

The Veolia Internet Defense Force would say the obvious.  Nothing ever ran on schedule with the (MTA) running around.  MTA B/O's are far more well-trained but I wouldn't want to imagine being on an Orion V on the N20 going up 107 under the speed limit.

Veolia is to Yugo as MTA is to Cadillac.

it would save money by making routes that go to places of interest but funding would end the reliability issue. Then again with reliability as it is any extensions even if short can backfire.

No it wouldn't. Combining routes increases operation costs due to longer distances.

Edited by Cait Sith

Was there anything around RVC Depot before they built those condos?  I already know about the racquetball club there.

I can't see people paying the prices they do for those places being that close to a bus depot and LIRR tracks but they do... A "commuters dream!" lol

Hound, when they were building them did LIB have any problems with anything like nails in the bus tires?

Any news on the foothill buses.Would like to see more pictures on here

You're free to go to Mitchel Field and take some pictures for us.   :)  If they were in service you'd see posts of people spotting them here.

The Veolia Internet Defense Force would say the obvious.  Nothing ever ran on schedule with the (MTA) running around.  MTA B/O's are far more well-trained but I wouldn't want to imagine being on an Orion V on the N20 going up 107 under the speed limit.

It's now the Transdev Internet Defense Force!  Read a press release every once in awhile...  :D

Goolgle "MTA LONG ISLAND BUS"  and "Skeleton system" and tell me if that sounds better to you, I don't have the energy to repeat the every month or two.  

Also, it is proven that NICE do a lot more per dollar than the MTA ever did.  So, if the system was properly funded facts, data, statistics, and common sense seem to suggest that Veolia/Transdev would be the better bet to run a [key term] PROPERLY FUNDED [/key term] system.

NICE sucks.

Original!   :rolleyes:

Veolia is to Yugo as MTA is to Cadillac.

Wow, you're actually right...  You see MTA is to Cadillac - overly expensive, outdated, only really admired by old timers, not eye catching to anyone under 50, the operating cost is outrageous, for no other benefit than the status.  You picked Yugo, because of the US flop because American's of you're time liked gas guzzling tanks, what you failed to see was this was a perfect analogy for Veolia, very popular in overseas bringing value and savings to people now bringing and streamline economic savings to America as FIAT.  Veolia was also very successful overseas bringing savings and economic value as it now does in America as Transdev.

I personally hate FIAT's, but great analogy!

It's now the Transdev Internet Defense Force!  Read a press release every once in awhile...  :D

Goolgle "MTA LONG ISLAND BUS"  and "Skeleton system" and tell me if that sounds better to you, I don't have the energy to repeat the every month or two.  

Also, it is proven that NICE do a lot more per dollar than the MTA ever did.  So, if the system was properly funded facts, data, statistics, and common sense seem to suggest that Veolia/Transdev would be the better bet to run a [key term] PROPERLY FUNDED [/key term] system.

Original!   :rolleyes:

Wow, you're actually right...  You see MTA is to Cadillac - overly expensive, outdated, only really admired by old timers, not eye catching to anyone under 50, the operating cost is outrageous, for no other benefit than the status.  You picked Yugo, because of the US flop because American's of you're time liked gas guzzling tanks, what you failed to see was this was a perfect analogy for Veolia, very popular in overseas bringing value and savings to people now bringing and streamline economic savings to America as FIAT.  Veolia was also very successful overseas bringing savings and economic value as it now does in America as Transdev.

I personally hate FIAT's, but great analogy!

If I had a dollar for every time this guy has mentioned "Skeleton system" and "Nassau" in the same post, I could replace every last Orion V registered to NICE.

Edited by Joel Up Front

No it wouldn't. Combining routes increases operation costs due to longer distances.

good logic but I was talking combined operating costs vs the routes in isolated form and revenue per trip. You have to realize that for people along many eastern routes they have to make impractical multiple transfers to reach their destinations the poor headways making the trip time combined with wait times extremely long.

He's trying to create another Hicksville-Jamaica route, most likely as an alternative to the 22/24.

interesting thought.

If I had a dollar for every time this guy has mentioned "Skeleton system" and "Nassau" in the same post, I could replace every last Orion V registered to NICE.

It's the truth, I'm sorry I don't sit here listening to the mis truths when people bitch about how terrible NICE is and how much better it was/would be if the MTA were still around.  It's not true, it never was true,and it never will be true.  The truth is the riders are better off with NICE than they would be with LIB...  As long as people are here saying how much worse NICE is or how much better things would be with LIB I'll be here to remind them.  If you look at my post history you;ll see I never just randomly say these things,but I do say them when?  When people forget and start telling MTA fairy tales.  If you want to read a bunch of half truths (or most non truths) go right ahead but I can't stand it.

You pissed me off a little bit tonight by saying that!

good logic but I was talking combined operating costs vs the routes in isolated form and revenue per trip. You have to realize that for people along many eastern routes they have to make impractical multiple transfers to reach their destinations the poor headways making the trip time combined with wait times extremely long.

interesting thought.

Which would double due to LACK of revenue upstream....nice try. They've lost a hell of a lot of customers and their ridership plummeted, you need the ridership to justify the changes. You don't like to think do ya....

Plus, you ALSO have to realize that people choose to live that far for a reason. Not everyone from Eastern Long Island is looking to get to Jamaica or Penn Station by bus. That's their fault that they have to make their transfers. No one told them to live that far in the first place. It's their choice, they gotta deal with it.

With your logic, you might as well merge every single route that runs into Queens with routes that are far East. It's impractical and costly and it makes absolutely no sense, especially since there's NO RIDERSHIP to justify anything.

Its one of those "you're f***ed either way" situations, just pick your poison

Which would double due to LACK of revenue upstream....nice try. They've lost a hell of a lot of customers and their ridership plummeted, you need the ridership to justify the changes. You don't like to think do ya....

Plus, you ALSO have to realize that people choose to live that far for a reason. Not everyone from Eastern Long Island is looking to get to Jamaica or Penn Station by bus. That's their fault that they have to make their transfers. No one told them to live that far in the first place. It's their choice, they gotta deal with it.

With your logic, you might as well merge every single route that runs into Queens with routes that are far East. It's impractical and costly and it makes absolutely no sense, especially since there's NO RIDERSHIP to justify anything.

That's why I've been telling everyone for years they should merge the n19 & S20 with the N4! lol

dude pay attention I was not suggesting any intercounty queens to Nassau route into Eastern Nassau that is utter madness. I was suggesting better routes WITHIN Nassau to be honest I think people in the eastern part of the county should take the bus to the nearest LIRR Station for Jamaica & Penn station. Pay attention. There is more than just queens & Manhattan.

That's why I've been telling everyone for years they should merge the n19 & S20 with the N4! lol

you can't be serious right this must be a bad joke. Edited by qjtransitmaster

It's the truth, I'm sorry I don't sit here listening to the mis truths when people bitch about how terrible NICE is and how much better it was/would be if the MTA were still around.  It's not true, it never was true,and it never will be true.  The truth is the riders are better off with NICE than they would be with LIB...  As long as people are here saying how much worse NICE is or how much better things would be with LIB I'll be here to remind them.  If you look at my post history you;ll see I never just randomly say these things,but I do say them when?  When people forget and start telling MTA fairy tales.  If you want to read a bunch of half truths (or most non truths) go right ahead but I can't stand it.

You pissed me off a little bit tonight by saying that!

NICE improved on the N22 at rush hour with the x, boosted service on the N43& did away with the n20&16's many pointless short turns. However they bastardized the N55,54,49& N27 to keep a few useless routes active N80 I am looking at you. Routes to nowhere don't help. Pretty sure when n79 got cut back it would have been better to just have it absorb parts of the N74&80 instead of a truncation. N81 &19&54 73 well let's just say those parts of the county need a do over.

dude pay attention I was not suggesting any intercounty queens to Nassau route into Eastern Nassau that is utter madness. I was suggesting better routes WITHIN Nassau to be honest I think people in the eastern part of the county should take the bus to the nearest LIRR Station for Jamaica & Penn station. Pay attention. There is more than just queens & Manhattan. you can't be serious right this must be a bad joke.

You sure? Because previously, you DID mention merging routes with the n6.....the other ones fit into the idea that people choose to live that far for a reason. If they want to live that far, they gotta deal with what's dealt at them. 

And yes, I still stand by my statement. The idea of merging all of these routes with another is still going to increase operating costs. Extensions don't help because operation costs will STILL go up. The amount of buses to go for those extensions would go up. The only way you can justify extensions or combinations is if you end up making even more cuts. With that idea, NICE would love you right about now.

Someone doesn't like to proofread.

Edited by Cait Sith

NICE improved on the N22 at rush hour with the x, boosted service on the N43& did away with the n20&16's many pointless short turns. However they bastardized the N55,54,49& N27 to keep a few useless routes active N80 I am looking at you. Routes to nowhere don't help. Pretty sure when n79 got cut back it would have been better to just have it absorb parts of the N74&80 instead of a truncation. N81 &19&54 73 well let's just say those parts of the county need a do over.

What if it's because NICE can't eliminate the bus routes without the county's approval?