Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

First of all never believe Wikipedia for anything! I found the updated fleet there humorous because what it obviously was is someone who has no personal knowledge of what's going copying what they heard hear or on subchat trying to be the first to post it on Wikipedia to get some sort of lame internet credit for it. In fact the entire NICE article on Wikipedia looks to have been written by a one sided NICE haters.

For info on the "new" buses coming in, start scrolling through the high 340 through low 350 pages of this thread.

If only I could live in denial as much as you could... but I did!  I thought the bus was timely and reliable and that I was above people who had to sit in their cars... and then I woke up!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These shows which bus routes from depot however I have seen mixed depot buses running on different routes.

http://www.ttmg.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Nassau_Inter-County_Express_Fleet_Roster

Oh ok I've seen that but I was looking for a depot roster but I guess there isn't a recent one now. But thanks for that link.

Oh ok I've seen that but I was looking for a depot roster but I guess there isn't a recent one now. But thanks for that link.

I don't think they'll make depot roster, because I have seen MF field depot bus on Rockville Cetre's n4 bus or I have seen Rockville Cetre bus on n58 Mitchel Field depot route.

I don't think they'll make depot roster, because I have seen MF field depot bus on Rockville Cetre's n4 bus or I have seen Rockville Cetre bus on n58 Mitchel Field depot route.

Ok, thanks for the info Edited by mta B43

Probably a transffer between depots for either miliage or for replacement. That would make it hard to keep a Depot roster but not really impossible. I have all the buses assigned to Suffolk Bus Corp broken down by depot and they transffer buses between the depots which makes it hard to keep track of where the buses are, but I keep it updated as well as I can. (I normally keep a bus listed at the transffered Depot until it is spotted again on a route to is normal assigned depot)

So I am looking at the NICE fleet and they are purchasing Orion V CNG 2002 built. According to Wikipedia, the total of order is unknown, Ex-Foothill Transit and purchased from late 2014. I thought NICE are planning on retire the Orion V CNGs this year through 2016 and all of them to be replace by low floor CNG(whatever the bus is) sometime around 2015-2017.

I have heard up to 20 coming. I only can confirm from NICE that they said they have 6 on the property before Christmas.

Yeah honestly it feels like it's all run from the same depot now. This isn't the MTA anymore amd they don't have to follow their structure. If they're not having every depot do runs on all the routes then it's a situation like JFK/Far Rockaway at MTA Bus where the fleets are constantly swapped out with each other.

What is the status of these buses involved in accidents, have they been returned to service?  Also, most if not all of these vehicles are impounded after the accident, once Nassau, the City, or the NYS DOT impounds the vehicle how long is it usually held?

1614, (05/25/12) rear ended by a Kia...

1667, (10/13/12) strikes and kills women in Queens...

1756,(11/28/12) strikes pedestrian, house, kills boy...

1877, (05/07/13) involved in an accident on Roslyn Heights while making a left turn...

1867, (09/20/14) into a Papa Johns in Queens...

Also, I don't see 1808 (maybe they don't send it out to my neck of the woods?)  Is it still in service?

Yesterday, I took (7) earlier to catch 9:25 n20 Hicksville, and (7) arrived Flushing-Main St 20 minutes earlier, then I bought Coconut Bun at Kemp Bakery, then used restroom after I asked for key. At 9:20, I exit bakery and made mad rush for 9:25, but my NYPL Copy Card and Jericho Public Library copy card drop off my card holder. I was holding my Orange reflector vest and NICE Bus B/O properly thought I was B/O, but I missed 9:25 n20 Hicksville. I was suppose to attend march for Education Protest hosted by Long Island Jobs with Justice.

Then I thought I drop my MetroCard on street, so I looked around, then went back to bakery and I put my 30-Day MetroCard in wrong place.

Then after that, I was forced to take Long Island Railroad Pt. Washington train to Penn Station, and cut across Duane Reade to Staple, where on my way to Staple, I met with elderly woman with cane from Hempstead, who rides NICE Bus and she said, "You're everywhere. This is first time I saw you here." she said. "I saw your at Hempstead." as I went to get POP Ticket from M34A SBS Machine. then went to Staple to use internet to tell Aaron I'll be late for Dream March.

Then I took LIRR Huntington train to Hicksville Station and as I was walking south on Newbridge Rd, I missed march but I was 51 person.

With Long Island Jobs with Justice and other education/graduation organizers, we were 51 persons.

Then 5 of us, LIBRU Organizer Aaron-Watkin Lopez who is Nassau County resident but stay in Suffolk County because of LIJWJ office in Happague will properly get seat in Nassau County Bus Transit Commitee and well as Long Beach Street NY organizer will might get seat for NCBTC as well.

After that, we had lunch at All You Can Eat Buffet at Indian Food in Hicksville Station.

After they drove us back to Hicksville Station, I took n20 to Columbia Drive and bought 4 bottles of Honest Tea, but on my way out to rush for n20 Hicksville, I thought I drop my MetroCard on parking lot because my card holder tag became loose. After I went back inside to check, my card holder was stuck between my NICE Bus Schedule sets.

After that I took n20 back to Hicksville Station, n79 to Walt Whitman Mall's Apple Store to make NICE Bus Schedule more organize for passengers by comparing schedules before 1/18 and new 1/18 schedules today.

I was tracking n79 via NICE Bus's website. When it became n79 Hicksville arriving in 8 minutes, I darted out from store and made to n79 bus on time, which left on time.

Then, I took n20 Flushing straight because I had to do voluteer for M60 SBS at LaGuardia Airport as well. At Glen Cove, one Chinese lady remembered me from survey and at Flushing-Main St, I went to check New World to see if there's any good whole. There was one nice Chinese vendor who wanted to give me Chicken but I told him not today. I look around, then use restroom, and use freight exit by restroom to check on n20 Roslyn, darting in front of Q48 bus, then after I handed n20 schedule, I rush across to catch Q48 into Terminal C, then helped there little, then hop on M60 SBS after getting POP Ticket, then got off at Central Terminal to help assist tourists for M60 SBS. Then after that I took Q72 home.

Yesterday, I took (7) earlier to catch 9:25 n20 Hicksville, and (7) arrived Flushing-Main St 20 minutes earlier, then I bought Coconut Bun at Kemp Bakery, then used restroom after I asked for key. At 9:20, I exit bakery and made mad rush for 9:25, but my NYPL Copy Card and Jericho Public Library copy card drop off my card holder. I was holding my Orange reflector vest and NICE Bus B/O properly thought I was B/O, but I missed 9:25 n20 Hicksville. I was suppose to attend march for Education Protest hosted by Long Island Jobs with Justice.

Then I thought I drop my MetroCard on street, so I looked around, then went back to bakery and I put my 30-Day MetroCard in wrong place.

Then after that, I was forced to take Long Island Railroad Pt. Washington train to Penn Station, and cut across Duane Reade to Staple, where on my way to Staple, I met with elderly woman with cane from Hempstead, who rides NICE Bus and she said, "You're everywhere. This is first time I saw you here." she said. "I saw your at Hempstead." as I went to get POP Ticket from M34A SBS Machine. then went to Staple to use internet to tell Aaron I'll be late for Dream March.

Then I took LIRR Huntington train to Hicksville Station and as I was walking south on Newbridge Rd, I missed march but I was 51 person.

With Long Island Jobs with Justice and other education/graduation organizers, we were 51 persons.

Then 5 of us, LIBRU Organizer Aaron-Watkin Lopez who is Nassau County resident but stay in Suffolk County because of LIJWJ office in Happague will properly get seat in Nassau County Bus Transit Commitee and well as Long Beach Street NY organizer will might get seat for NCBTC as well.

After that, we had lunch at All You Can Eat Buffet at Indian Food in Hicksville Station.

After they drove us back to Hicksville Station, I took n20 to Columbia Drive and bought 4 bottles of Honest Tea, but on my way out to rush for n20 Hicksville, I thought I drop my MetroCard on parking lot because my card holder tag became loose. After I went back inside to check, my card holder was stuck between my NICE Bus Schedule sets.

After that I took n20 back to Hicksville Station, n79 to Walt Whitman Mall's Apple Store to make NICE Bus Schedule more organize for passengers by comparing schedules before 1/18 and new 1/18 schedules today.

I was tracking n79 via NICE Bus's website. When it became n79 Hicksville arriving in 8 minutes, I darted out from store and made to n79 bus on time, which left on time.

Then, I took n20 Flushing straight because I had to do voluteer for M60 SBS at LaGuardia Airport as well. At Glen Cove, one Chinese lady remembered me from survey and at Flushing-Main St, I went to check New World to see if there's any good whole. There was one nice Chinese vendor who wanted to give me Chicken but I told him not today. I look around, then use restroom, and use freight exit by restroom to check on n20 Roslyn, darting in front of Q48 bus, then after I handed n20 schedule, I rush across to catch Q48 into Terminal C, then helped there little, then hop on M60 SBS after getting POP Ticket, then got off at Central Terminal to help assist tourists for M60 SBS. Then after that I took Q72 home.

This is almost as entertaining as watching paint dry.

The few long rides I've made with the buses here were in 2011.  N16 to Silver Lake (which is only two blocks away from Merrick Road) to the N4 to Springfield Boulevard for the Q27 to the (7) to Times Square.  I wanted to get a view from the RFW all the way out.  This was when half-cab sets on the line were still relatively common but when I got to Flushing there was already a train waiting to leave, but I couldn't get to the front car, which apparently was a full cab anyway.  The ride to TS was okay.  I walked around Times Square a bit, got some lunch, and headed home.

I don't think I have the patience to deal with NICE anymore, and de Blasio's NYC isn't shaping up to be what he wanted it to, so I don't really see any point in going.  Maybe when the weather gets better.

Edited by Joel Up Front

The few long rides I've made with the buses here were in 2011.  N16 to Silver Lake (which is only two blocks away from Merrick Road) to the N4 to Springfield Boulevard for the Q27 to the (7) to Times Square.  I wanted to get a view from the RFW all the way out.  This was when half-cab sets on the line were still relatively common but when I got to Flushing there was already a train waiting to leave, but I couldn't get to the front car, which apparently was a full cab anyway.  The ride to TS was okay.  I walked around Times Square a bit, got some lunch, and headed home.

I don't think I have the patience to deal with NICE anymore, and de Blasio's NYC isn't shaping up to be what he wanted it to, so I don't really see any point in going.  Maybe when the weather gets better.

The N4 and the Q27 don't meet each other