Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

Happy New Years everyone! Great time for a throwback to 4 years ago when this was posted regarding the [then new] NICE Bus re-branding:

Every one - they have hired over 100 painters and equipped them with gallons of paint, rollers, brushes, rags and other items. Then the decals will be placed on the buses when the paint dries. From what I've heard, the buses will re renumbered from 50,001 up. The workers, mainly hired by roving trucks sent to gather qualified workers in the Hempstead, Freeport, Elmont, Glen Cove, New Cassell and Wyandanch neighborhoods, are being being paid in cash without any tax or other payroll deductions, with the hourly amount just above the minimum wage. Even though these workers were not offered any benefits, they are working feverishly to get the job done. It is said that those who don't perform their work correctly will be reported to immigration authorities. Lunch or other breaks are limited to ten minutes; to use the bathroom facilities a worker must receive written approval from at least two supervisors, and limit his absence to no more than six minutes once a shift. All of this work is being performed inside the Nassau Coliseum (they had to cover the floor with tarps), the use of which building was specially arranged by Al D'Amato and County Executive Edward Mangano. It is felt that most if not all of the buses will be repainted and ready for service on January 2.

They were originally going to number them starting at 75,001 but the decal manufacturer was very short of 7's, so they changed their requirement.

Yes, the wheels will also be painted with that new black rubber paint that is advertised in the monthly antique auto/truck magazine, Hemmings Motor News. I have some of that paint myself and use it on my antique autos - it's great! You can either spray or roll it one, but it does have the distinct odor of rotten eggs, which lasts quite a few months. This will also give John R40SlantontheB something to complain about so he can start the New Year by complaining right away without a lengthy break.

Not sure. And I don't like to give out erroneous, unverified information. From what I understand, they're all being stored down in the Jones Beach parking lots so the wind will dry the paint in order to have them ready to enter service at the proper time. I've been told but a very high authority that they're being driven down there, or towed two or three together, under the darkness of night so not too many people, especially rabid bus fans, can see them at this time, but the end bus does have flashing warning lights to warn traffic that they're in a formation, similar to a funeral formation.

R.I.P. Joe Saitta

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, what will the operators who currently work on the soon-to-be eliminated routes do? Will they just be on standby, or what?

Setzer said at the meeting that the positions would be eliminated through attrition, without layoffs.

Given that turnover is pretty quick, I can't imagine this taking forever - it's only a small handful FTEs. He cited a number but I don't remember it.

Edited by Amtrak7

I was thinking that certain N1 and N6 trips should serve the Queens Village LIRR station via Jamaica Ave and Springfield Blvd. It would make the station convenient to access, especially for those along the Hempstead Turnpike Corridor which is not really near LIRR service. 

Perhaps the initial implementation can be on weekends where one trip per direction per hour (either N6 only, and/or extended N1) serves the station to connect with arriving/departing train's in the same direction, as bus riders are more likely to use the Station because of City Ticket and Queens Blvd track work. 

You know what's funny. It's old news, but I laughed. If you look on almost every PinePowerLI news or rant video, you see "chargerdodge9" aka "jgood6195" aka "1995 Orion V CNG" commenting on almost every video as 2004OrionVIICNG and 2004 Orion V CNG

Complains about so much and then does nothing about it except get banned here 3 times. That gave me a kick reading through all that stuff.

Well now everyone can see where the buses are, n6's are normally spaced apart evenly when I check for the next bus, sometimes I see bunching, but then you can plan to take the 2nd bus because it will most likely have seats and/or be less crowded, and make less stops.

As for the bus maintenance, Pinepower seems to forget the constant breakdowns on LIB, especially in the summer, as well as the ~50% of buses which did not pass state inspection before being transferred to NICE. Also, aren't most NICE mechanics transplants from LIB?

Speaking of the n70 in the other thread, I happened to see this (the n70 on layover): https://goo.gl/maps/h5t2V5pEnKD2

Looks like the middle of nowhere,are there riders east of SUNY Farmingdale?

As for the bus maintenance, Pinepower seems to forget the constant breakdowns on LIB, especially in the summer, as well as the ~50% of buses which did not pass state inspection before being transferred to NICE. Also, aren't most NICE mechanics transplants from LIB?

That was really during the last year when the MTA stopped caring. Even before 2011, Nassau was on bad terms with the MTA for paying with it's bus system but it just wasn't as bad as 2011 onward. As for the mechanics, depends on who's left. Many of NICE's mechanics quit and from what I've heard/read, went to the MTA.

Looks like the middle of nowhere,are there riders east of SUNY Farmingdale?

That picture is right in front of the Newsday building. Properties are definitely a little bit more spread out over there.

Wasn't he huffing and puffing about NICE being the downfall of the system?  I won't say that he wasn't right, but he's been doing... this for years now.

He still thinks that the MTA will come back to run Nassau's bus system (presumably when Nassau Democrats gain a majority), and do a much better job at running the line than NICE on a budget of $9 million dollars.

Well, not that many people take the n62 anyway to begin with. The amount of riders affect is most likely less than a handful.

Aside from that, the n62 Industrial Loop is a few blocks from the n36 or n19 (and if you're working in an industrial park, there's a good chance you have the ability to walk a few blocks).

I like how this thread has turned into a discussion about PinePowerLI. I mean, who cares really? Just another unemployed guy leeching off society riding the bus every day. Not much different from others who have been on this forum or City-data or YouTube except maybe a little more vocal on the racism.

I was simply stating, after reading the thread on the other forum and from his previous posts here, PInePower complains about NICE and wants the MTA to return to Nassau as the contract carrier, but he constantly complained about LIB and still complains about LIRR.

Edited by N6 Limited