Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These new buses are super quick and can tell it can take a real time to malfunction

I was on one of the newer buses where it seemed like there was a lighting problem. You know how usually the light closest to the door cuts off when the front door closes?  On this particular bus, more than one light in a row shut off. (first 2 or 3 lights)

Edited by N6 Limited

Wow interesting well some bus orders can be at this sequence with the lighting ..lets not forget the transmission is a killer

I must say the MTA buses are to my opinion the ONLY bus company that there buses dont announce the famous. "Stop Requested" saying...the only thing close is the. "Please exit through rear door"

I dont completely trust the predictions on the transit app....an n4 was a no-show and the app said it was arriving.

I was on one of the newer buses where it seemed like there was a lighting problem. You know how usually the light closest to the door cuts off when the front door closes? On this particular bus, more than one light in a row shut off. (first 2 or 3 lights)

One of a few ways you can tell New Flyer rushed these....the Xcelsior line has been known for multiple electric issues.

Edited by Cait Sith

Older article from August http://longisland.news12.com/news/bus-riders-walk-to-highlight-commuting-issues-1.10754795

GARDEN CITY - Some Long Island bus riders walked from the bus stop at Roosevelt Field to the headquarters of the NICE bus company Wednesday to emphasize ongoing commuter problems.

Freeport resident John Alexander Grant said he takes the bus to school and to work. He told News 12that he would like to attend an upcoming bus transportation meeting at the headquarters in Garden City to ask about rising fares, but service does not reach that far.

"There's virtually no way I'm going to be able to get to this public transportation meeting," said Grant.

READ MORE: Transportation Stories

Organizer Aaron Watkins-Lopez, from the Long Island Bus Riders' Union, said the walk to the headquarters was challenging.

"It's a game of lethal Frogger. You have to pass lanes and lanes of traffic. You have to pass over streets that have no crosswalks, no lights," said Watkins-Lopez.

NICE spokesman Andy Kraus said the county picks the location of the meetings. He also said that fares have risen because "NICE expenses and operational costs have gone up every single year."

Riders also told News 12 that inaccessibility is a problem, including announcements and signs in Braille. Kraus said they're spending $10 million to upgrade communication for passengers, and that 100 percent of the auditory announcements are working on buses.

They're full of it, it's called the N27

I like the old voice better, the one that was used under Long Island Bus.

Yeah I do also.

I dont completely trust the predictions on the transit app....an n4 was a no-show and the app said it was arriving.

One of a few ways you can tell New Flyer rushed these....the Xcelsior line has been known for multiple electric issues.

The Transit App is great. You have to make sure the real time icon is pulsing first, if not then it's showing the scheduled time. What I do is look for the real time icon to pulse, then I switch to the map so I can see exactly where the bus is.

The timing has been fairly accurate on the N6. One night @ 169th street, the N6 to Hempstead was late, the bus was still on it's way from Hempstead (saw it on the app) and the app said it'll arrive in 15 mins.  The bus passed westbound going to the Jamaica bus terminal and when it arrived at the eastbound 169th it was 15 mins from when I checked.

I like the app because you don't waste time at the stop unnecessarily. You can see when there are gaps in service and plan accordingly. Sometimes there is a gap and then you'll see two buses in a row, at those times I plan to catch the 2nd bus because I'm less likely to get passed and it's usually not packed. It also helps to plan transfers and use another route (if possible). 

Older article from August http://longisland.news12.com/news/bus-riders-walk-to-highlight-commuting-issues-1.10754795

They're full of it, it's called the N27

Also Stewart Av/Quention Roosevelt Blvd stop near BJ Club is also consider dangerous since sidewalks are not properly install.

What happens if snow falls, we have to walk on STREET to get to NICE Bus headquarters. One of Hicksville resident of LIBRU who works for Stop & Shop has to work on dangerous Commercial Av because NICE Bus or city didn't clear snow.

Also Stewart Av/Quention Roosevelt Blvd stop near BJ Club is also consider dangerous since sidewalks are not properly install.

What happens if snow falls, we have to walk on STREET to get to NICE Bus headquarters. One of Hicksville resident of LIBRU who works for Stop & Shop has to work on dangerous Commercial Av because NICE Bus or city didn't clear snow.

Grasping at straws, even if there are sidewalks the snow usually isn't usually cleared anyway, it's up to the property owner. Many times their parking lot is cleared and not the sidewalk, or the sidewalk is outside the main foot traffic area of their business and so they do not deem it necessary, and even THEN they just clear the sidewalk while the bus stop has a mound of snow on it and no clear way to get from the bus to the sidewalk.

I wish the LIBRU would stop grasping at straws for all their arguments. With all the stops in the system with much heavier patronage, to be worried about sidewalks to NICE headquarters is really a joke.

Grasping at straws, even if there are sidewalks the snow usually isn't usually cleared anyway, it's up to the property owner. Many times their parking lot is cleared and not the sidewalk, or the sidewalk is outside the main foot traffic area of their business and so they do not deem it necessary, and even THEN they just clear the sidewalk while the bus stop has a mound of snow on it and no clear way to get from the bus to the sidewalk.

I wish the LIBRU would stop grasping at straws for all their arguments. With all the stops in the system with much heavier patronage, to be worried about sidewalks to NICE headquarters is really a joke.

It not just LIBRU. There were some how 3 BJ Club Shopping Carts ended up in Roosevelt Field Bus Terminal parking lot and someone from BJ Club must risk his/her live crossing Ring Rd with BJ Club Shopping Cart, so I reported to BJ Club via online chat that someone from BJ Club should get the cart.

There are NICE Bus rider shoppers coming from/to BJ Club cross dangerous Ring Rd as well.

Edited by FamousNYLover

It not just LIBRU. There were some how 3 BJ Club Shopping Carts ended up in Roosevelt Field Bus Terminal parking lot and someone from BJ Club must risk his/her live crossing Ring Rd with BJ Club Shopping Cart, so I reported to BJ Club via online chat that someone from BJ Club should get the cart.

There are NICE Bus rider shoppers coming from/to BJ Club cross dangerous Ring Rd as well.

Why aren't they using the stops on Stewart Avenue?

The carts shouldn't be leaving BJ's property to begin with, there are also bus stops on Stewart Ave. BJ's would have to work with Simon/Roosevelt Field to make pedestrian access easier since it's their property.

At Meecham Av/Hempstead Turnpike bus shelter for n2/8, there were poster from Nassau County Legislator that said, 

"SAVE OUR N2/N8!" with contact information of two Nassau County Legislators who presents district of n2/8.

Where are the n2/8 customers coming from, aside from Meacham Avenue?

Is sad that the n2/8 are being eliminated to see that this bus line passes through a more car less elmont town and passes through the NYC line and go to green acres

Some people just don't know how to appreciate buses thats the reason why some of the lines are dying of being truncated