Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, lots of n2/8 bus rider saw the poster and they weren't happy.

I took 4:15pm n8 Counter Clockwise Green Acres and it was busy with 20-30 people.

After returning, next line had great amount of people for next n2/8 trip.

I got on nicest driver on 16:48 n6X Hempstead express, who she stated Mangano should be locked up in prison.

Alright, so yesterday I decided to take the n33 to Long Beach for the n15 to Hempstead Transit Center since I never took those routes before. Even though I live 2 blocks away from the n33 bus stop, plus it comes every 30 minutes. I had enough time to walk up the hill to Mott Av to catch it since I had like 19 minutes left and by the time I got to the bus, I had 2 minutes before it leaves, even though a normal person would wait for it. By the time my bus got to LB LIRR, the n15 was there waiting. After I got on, Long Beach was such a nice area. My original plan was to take the n15 to RF Mall for the n22 to 179 St (F) but I decided to cut it short and take the n6 instead as I usually do when I take the n31/n32 to HTC. I had a good time. All off this was in the morning. In the evening, It was about 3:20pm when I was at 165 St Bus Terminal. I saw people boarding the n6(Orion Vll NG CNG) but I waited for the next one since I wasn't in a rush to go home. So a few minutes later after the bus left, an XN40 showed up and I got on. This is my 5th time riding it on the n6 & n31/n32. When my bus got to HTC, the line at the n32 was long but the bus didn't show up yet. Most people said that the bus was late. Then a Orion VII NG CNG n31 did showed up and most people got on. After that, a XN40 n32 came and the remaining people including me got on. Both buses weren't full. Both buses left at the same time. By the time I got to Merrick Rd & 5 corners, my bus was still behind the n31 and the bus stop was crowded. Oh yeah, few people complain that they don't like the new straps because it hurts their hands. When I got to Hewlett, the n1 came around the corner to drop the last passenger as the n31 left while my bus had to wait for that one passenger from the n1. Finally, both buses split before approaching West Broadway and I had a feeling that the n31 would meet up again with our bus at Rockaway Turnpike/Central Av and it did. I have been taking NICE for a few weeks now.

I saw XN40 #1914 deadheading down Peninsula Boulevard southbound.  If RVC is closed on weekends, where was this bus going?

It was on the n27 today. What time did you see it?

Side Note: 1911 has the capital "N" compared to the "n" on the destination signs, and 1900 doesn't have the nice logo at the front of the bus.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

It isnormal for the n15 to dispatch after the n33 arrives the RR station and vice versa...i some time ago took the n15 bus at Roosevelt field mall to long beach. ..the bus was to arrive at 7:25pm and i was scared that the n15 wasnt going to make the connection to the 7:30 n33 bus (and thus the transfer) ...but it made the connection

It ispossible that the n31 was created circa 1990s to ease the passenger congestion. ..then again the n31 is continuous with the n32 except for a brief segment in cedar hurst where the twin buses seperate. ..normally the n31 ease up users heading to the northern sections of cedar hurst and on weekdays

The Hempstead extension might came up as well when the n31 was created to accommodate users heading from the rockaways to Hempstead or it might be that the n32 is a consolidated route as lynbrook is the midway point for the n32 and the famous 5 corners is a popular transfer point

It ispossible that the n31 was created circa 1990s to ease the passenger congestion. ..then again the n31 is continuous with the n32 except for a brief segment in cedar hurst where the twin buses seperate. ..normally the n31 ease up users heading to the northern sections of cedar hurst and on weekdays

The Hempstead extension might came up as well when the n31 was created to accommodate users heading from the rockaways to Hempstead or it might be that the n32 is a consolidated route as lynbrook is the midway point for the n32 and the famous 5 corners is a popular transfer point

The N31 always existed,at least from Lynbrook. The only difference was that it was once designated N32W while the 32 was N32C. The Hempstead extension replaced what was part of the old N36 that ran bet. Hempstead & Baldwin via Lynbrook.

What was the old N77 I'm seeing on this map from 40 years back?

http://i62.tinypic.com/286y4g5.jpg

The other half of the map is here: http://i58.tinypic.com/hu0p7d.jpg If you don't get how extensive the old N36 was...

It's amazing how much service they were able to sustain back then east of the Wantagh Parkway. I wonder how they did, it's not like most of the area was more dense then than it is now...

It's amazing how much service they were able to sustain back then east of the Wantagh Parkway. I wonder how they did, it's not like most of the area was more dense then than it is now...

I believe more people rode the bus in those areas back then than now. It would be incredibly ridiculous to have so much service like that if there weren't riders. 

The map compared to today looks like a better integrated Nassau bus system, despite the letter designations and the giant loop, as well as some connectivity issues here and there. These bus routes probably did have ridership before, but have been slowly cut as more people decided to use their cars. Ridership in that area has been low for a pretty long while, ever since the early 1990's, but at this point, there's no more money left to subsidize these routes.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

What was the old N77 I'm seeing on this map from 40 years back?

http://i62.tinypic.com/286y4g5.jpg

The other half of the map is here: http://i58.tinypic.com/hu0p7d.jpg If you don't get how extensive the old N36 was...

Amazing. Talk about coverage. 

I believe more people rode the bus in those areas back then than now. It would be incredibly ridiculous to have so much service like that if there weren't riders. 

The map compared to today looks like a better integrated Nassau bus system, despite the letter designations and the giant loop, as well as some connectivity issues here and there. These bus routes probably did have ridership before, but have been slowly cut as more people decided to use their cars. Ridership in that area has been low for a pretty long while, ever since the early 1990's, but at this point, there's no more money left to subsidize these routes.

That's also when Hempstead was a busy shopping district. Lots of loops and diversions. N72, N72B, N72C, N72G, etc

Another question is what type of vehicles they used on those routes - a lot of those streets are very tight if not impassable for a 40' bus, and they haven't narrowed over the past few decades.

And back then the n19 went all the way to Babylon. ..rip n19 to Babylon. (1973- 17 January 2016)

Also the n20 never existed so the today's LIU NYIT and Suny Westbury was without bus service. ..I'm surprised that oyster bay always. Wanted to be marginalized from public transportation. ..reminds me a lot of the northeast portion of Westchester county. ..all areas east of katonah and nonorth of mentioned town is left with no bee line bus service. ...the BL 33 can be reborn and advance to mahopac village centre and thus transfer to the BL 16 and have access to peeskill from croton falls and vice versa or at must extend the BL 33 to goldens bridge

The n5 was the syster route to the n4 and the n3 the sister routr to n6

Possible conspiracy and corruption. ..good thing he mentioned a girl on 1648 but not thr exact date and time that bus departed ...that mangano is capable of sending spies to keep mouthshut. ..i never stop looking at that map of 1975 and many buses that will be cut next month we're running at ease and with no problem