Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Chris Alleyne said:

You know, that won't surprise me. The fact that buses keep breaking down is clearly a cause of great concern. These buses are falling apart. Have you seen the 2011 Orion VII NG CNGs? Most of those buses have been in that tacky old NICE wrap since 2012 and they are looking bad. #1800-1839 need a repaint ASAP! (with the 3Gs not too far behind either).

I've been seeing more and more of the Orion VIIs get wrapped in ads for Metro PCS, EB Lens, and that new n16NCC express service NICE recently created. 

Edited by NY1635

On 2/16/2019 at 9:14 AM, NY1635 said:

I've been seeing more and more of the Orion VIIs get wrapped in ads for Metro PCS, EB Lens, and that new n16NCC express service NICE recently created. 

I saw a 30x240 billboard on a Nice XD40 yesterday on the N40/41 while detouring from the southern state parkway. 

Are the XD40’s // Orion VII’s getting full wraps or driverside wraps on NICE buses. 

6 hours ago, Future ENY OP said:

I saw a 30x240 billboard on a Nice XD40 yesterday on the N40/41 while detouring from the southern state parkway. 

Are the XD40’s // Orion VII’s getting full wraps or driverside wraps on NICE buses. 

I only see the Orion VIIs getting full wraps for Metro PCS and EB Lens, or side wraps for the NY State Lottery. 

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:51 PM, N6 Limited said:

The buses were breaking down under LIB and about 50% failed inspection during the transfer to NICE, so is it:

1) Lack of maintenance?

2) Low quality Buses?

3) Incompetent maintenance staff?

4) Various combinations of the above?

Hmm...

I don't believe it was a lack of maintenance under LIB (quantity-wise), don't believe the buses were of poor quality (initially), and I don't necessarily think that the maintenance staff were incompetent, per se (which would be implicative that they didn't have the skills/education/know-how from jump street)....

IMO, I think they eventually became insouciant to the point of nonfeasance...... Tends to happens among employees in the moments before, or during company transitions/takeovers....

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

IMO, I think they eventually became insouciant to the point of nonfeasance...... Tends to happens among employees in the moments before, or during company transitions/takeovers....

This definitely seemed to be the case during the TZX's final days, before the transition to HudsonLink. I do have to wonder how things are going with TOR & HudsonLink, especially with Transdev running the show coincidentally enough.

• 2 weeks later...

A deadly car crash at Baldwin Road in Hempstead caused the n35 morning runs to detour off route today. I'm honestly more surprised the whole thing started with a high speed chase that began in Valley Stream,  thru the Southern State, and ended just north of exit 20N around midnight. 

http://longisland.news12.com/clip/14785076/the-30-fight-leads-to-high-speed-chase-deadly-crash-in-hempstead

Edited by NY1635

On 3/1/2019 at 9:25 AM, Axis said:

This definitely seemed to be the case during the TZX's final days, before the transition to HudsonLink. I do have to wonder how things are going with TOR & HudsonLink, especially with Transdev running the show coincidentally enough.

Went I visited White Plains, one HudsonLink passenger told me that 1:20pm H05 White Plain from Palisade Lot J  that suppose to arrive at 1:23pm at Marcy's never show up, so she had to take taxi across Tappan Zee Bridge.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, NY1635 said:

NICE finally released their spring schedule. The only noticeable changes are the n79 getting Saturday Service restored and some n22x trips beginning at Jamaica Terminal.

https://www.nicebus.com/NICE/media/assets/NICE-n78n79_April2019_web.pdf

No n79 service on Saturdays from roughly 2-5 PM??? Better than nothing I suppose, but more people are bound to travel in the mid-afternoon compared to weekdays. Either way, midday service on weekdays (and that gap on weekends) needs to be filled in. Hopefully they do that soon.

16 hours ago, RES2773 said:

Anyone know of plans to restore n27 weekend service? Even if at lesser frequency, I think that'd be a big service booster. I believe they implied it would happen in their July 2018 plan but I'm not sure if a timeline.

Any plans/mention/demand for restoring weekend service on other routes that previously lost it? (i.e.; n16, n19, etc;)

On 4/12/2019 at 12:25 PM, NY1635 said:

NICE finally released their spring schedule. The only noticeable changes are the n79 getting Saturday Service restored and some n22x trips beginning at Jamaica Terminal.

https://www.nicebus.com/NICE/media/assets/NICE-n78n79_April2019_web.pdf

That intermediate gap is such an eyesore tbh. The n21's iteration of this gap is also odd, albeit different. On weekdays, there is no midday service on the n21. But on Saturdays, the n21 has a consistent hourly frequency, including midday.

21 minutes ago, Axis said:

Any plans/mention/demand for restoring weekend service on other routes that previously lost it? (i.e.; n16, n19, etc;)

NICE said that they don't have the funding to restore service on other routes. The county didn't increase it's funding this year, and they got a minor bump from the state. Alternatively, NICE could just get rid of those n16NCC shuttles to reinstate Saturday service on the n16.

Edited by NY1635

9 hours ago, FamousNYLover said:

n20G/H bus Saturday schedule toward Great Neck/Hicksville is missing timestable after 1:25pm.

https://www.nicebus.com/NICE/media/assets/NICE-n20_April2019_web.pdf

- n20 G/H Saturday schedule towards Great Neck/Flushing is missing after that 2:30 pm trip out of Great Neck....

- n20 G/H Sunday schedule towards Great Neck/Hicksville is missing before that 2:00 pm trip out of Great Neck....

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:50 PM, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

No n79 service on Saturdays from roughly 2-5 PM??? Better than nothing I suppose, but more people are bound to travel in the mid-afternoon compared to weekdays. Either way, midday service on weekdays (and that gap on weekends) needs to be filled in. Hopefully they do that soon.

I don't agree with it, but I'm guessing that the thinking is that those are prime hours where the masses are doing their shopping inside Whitman Mall on weekends.... Not the first time I've seen something scheduled like that, where you have some suburban routes that serve malls have gaps of the sort.... IINM, I believe the weekend BL-12 was scheduled like that (before that *shrug* worthy cutback to Armonk)....

Anyway, weekdays, they want to make the thing (n79) a rush hour only route....

Hate to say, but those gaps are intentional & they're not going to be filled in.

Edited by B35 via Church