Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Union Tpke said:

Anyone see an "error" in this screenshot I took of the N25 timetable?

*PICTURE*

Well, it technically is still the right time. But yeah, some people may get confused because they don't know what it means.

Edited by BM5 via Woodhaven

6 hours ago, BM5 via Woodhaven said:

Well, it technically is still the right time. But yeah, some people may get confused because they don't know what it means.

Yep. Do you think that they forgot to change it when taking the information from the GTFS/employee TT?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2018 at 8:30 PM, Tom Meadow said:

Thoughts on this loser.https://youtu.be/WygpdEFyicQ

So piney boy decides to stand in front of a bus because he got passed up by it huh.....

Honestly, if I saw that nutcase alone at a bus stop, I'd pass him by too.... For all the years he's been talking cash shit about "illegals" (his lovely term for hispanic people), filming them at bus stops, being out & about in downtown Westbury, he's lucky he got out of Westbury in one piece....

Now he's on some weird *I'm not white* kick & are painting white people in this city under the broad brush of being snobby, preppy, corrupt, you name it (especially those along the Babylon line)..... IDK WTF race he thinks he is all of a sudden, but AFAIC, there should a been a cop conveniently situated at that intersection to arrest his miserable ass for disorderly conduct - anyone wanna guess what race would be put down on his file?

I love how he gets on this video (at the end there) dictating what that bus driver's job is supposed to entail....

The question I have for this jackass is - What is YOUR job?!?

Seeing the new n22 & n24 schedules, I have to wonder...the new westbound n22 short turn trips from Hicksville to RF, and the new westbound n24 short turn trips from RF to Jamaica...are they possibly interlined in some way?

I don't think that increasing mid-day service on the n31/32 to every 15 minutes from every 20 is a smart idea. While it does benefit me as it is the nearest route to where I live, mid-day buses on the route are typically around 50-75% loaded. It doesn't need more frequent service, and assigning headway schedules would have been better for a busier route, such as the n4 or n6.

Another thing that makes me wonder is how NICE is going to sustain higher frequencies on these routes, both with the fleet and with finances. Last time I checked, NICE hasn't bought any new buses in the last couple of years, and the quality of the fleet is still not the greatest. The financial situation has improved, but it is still not great, and increasing service now could dig an even bigger hole in the future.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe that switching the frequency-based operations versus timed operations is an attempt by NICE to hide their poor on-time percentage...

1 hour ago, RES2773 said:

Speaking of the new schedules, I'm digging the new design for the pdf schedules and the NICE website itself.

I agree with your opinion on the new designs. They're solid!

One strong point of Transdev seems to be graphic design. You should see some of the stuff (both PDF and paper... I could upload images of the latter) that they publish for their operations in the UK and France.

On 8/22/2018 at 6:47 PM, 67thAve said:

I agree with your opinion on the new designs. They're solid!

One strong point of Transdev seems to be graphic design. You should see some of the stuff (both PDF and paper... I could upload images of the latter) that they publish for their operations in the UK and France.

I gotta say, this is the first time I've been sort of happy with NICE in awhile. Getting excited for other changes they're making in the system in the upcoming months.

On 8/19/2018 at 10:22 PM, B35 via Church said:

So piney boy decides to stand in front of a bus because he got passed up by it huh.....

Honestly, if I saw that nutcase alone at a bus stop, I'd pass him by too.... For all the years he's been talking cash shit about "illegals" (his lovely term for hispanic people), filming them at bus stops, being out & about in downtown Westbury, he's lucky he got out of Westbury in one piece....

Now he's on some weird *I'm not white* kick & are painting white people in this city under the broad brush of being snobby, preppy, corrupt, you name it (especially those along the Babylon line)..... IDK WTF race he thinks he is all of a sudden, but AFAIC, there should a been a cop conveniently situated at that intersection to arrest his miserable ass for disorderly conduct - anyone wanna guess what race would be put down on his file?

I love how he gets on this video (at the end there) dictating what that bus driver's job is supposed to entail....

The question I have for this jackass is - What is YOUR job?!?

I will say that, from what he was saying, the bus driver was in the wrong (driving by in the left lane, and I'm assuming that other bus in the video around the 3:30 mark was an n23, so it wasn't like they were bunched or anything).

But who knows, maybe that B/O overheard him talking about "illegals" or something and decided this was her chance to get back at him (it just sucks that some other random passenger also got passed up at the stop)

On 8/22/2018 at 6:48 AM, 67thAve said:

I don't think that increasing mid-day service on the n31/32 to every 15 minutes from every 20 is a smart idea. While it does benefit me as it is the nearest route to where I live, mid-day buses on the route are typically around 50-75% loaded. It doesn't need more frequent service, and assigning headway schedules would have been better for a busier route, such as the n4 or n6.

Another thing that makes me wonder is how NICE is going to sustain higher frequencies on these routes, both with the fleet and with finances. Last time I checked, NICE hasn't bought any new buses in the last couple of years, and the quality of the fleet is still not the greatest. The financial situation has improved, but it is still not great, and increasing service now could dig an even bigger hole in the future.

Personally, I'm inclined to believe that switching the frequency-based operations versus timed operations is an attempt by NICE to hide their poor on-time percentage...

Off-peak service increases generally don't require additional buses. Finance-wise, it appears that this new county executive will be more generous than Mangano.

By the way, I read about this pilot program connecting Freeport to the areas east of the Meadowbrook Parkway. Apparently they credit cash/mobile app fixed-route transfers towards the price of the NICELink, but not MetroCard transfers. See more here.

21 hours ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I will say that, from what he was saying, the bus driver was in the wrong (driving by in the left lane, and I'm assuming that other bus in the video around the 3:30 mark was an n23, so it wasn't like they were bunched or anything).

But who knows, maybe that B/O overheard him talking about "illegals" or something and decided this was her chance to get back at him (it just sucks that some other random passenger also got passed up at the stop)

Oh, I'm not excusing the b/o..... Both parties were in the wrong in that situation.