LIRR And MNRR Random Thoughts Thread

EE Broadway Local

46 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

I’ve used that Apple store a few times as well...it’s better than the other ones I used in the city 

Funny thing is, a few years back I bought an IPad there, and they were trying to transfer my stuff onto it from iCloud, but the store internet was soooo slow. The workers told me that because of GCT rules, they couldn’t install a high speed internet connection because there were issues with drilling into the walls for cables, etc. I think it’s been fixed since then with newer technology, but it made me shake my head in disbelief 

even funnier, it turned out that the Genius who helped me had been in some of my classes in college, and we recognized each other years afterwards.  

I'm not shocked. A lot of tenants have left because of the high rents, in addition to the homeless problem. I stopped eating down there because when myself and a colleague would have lunch there, we always ran into some homeless person. I think a good chunk of the places that I used to buy from are no longer there. It'll be interesting to see if that new building brings in more workers, but pre-pandemic, a lot of office workers now just get their food delivered in the area (myself included). It used to be that you went to a restaurant and had lunch especially on quiet days. Once we go back to normal, perhaps that will resume.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not shocked. A lot of tenants have left because of the high rents, in addition to the homeless problem. I stopped eating down there because when myself and a colleague would have lunch there, we always ran into some homeless person. I think a good chunk of the places that I used to buy from are no longer there. It'll be interesting to see if that new building brings in more workers, but pre-pandemic, a lot of office workers now just get their food delivered in the area (myself included). It used to be that you went to a restaurant and had lunch especially on quiet days. Once we go back to normal, perhaps that will resume.

Is that famous oyster bar in. GCT still in business? Last i read, i think it was about to go under from covid a few months back. 

On 2/2/2021 at 10:12 PM, NewFlyer 230 said:

To be honest I really didn’t know much about the Atlantic ticket myself until you mentioned it and I looked on the MTA’s website for more details and I would be considered a transit enthusiast so one would think I’d know. So if I barely knew what it was the average person definitely would not know. As far as the city ticket, I take advantage of it all the time especially if I’m going to Brooklyn, because traveling especially from eastern Queens to Downtown Brooklyn and or South Brooklyn can take forever depending on where you are coming from. I understand that the LIRR primarily caters to those who live in Nassau & Suffolk counties, but the MTA could potentially make some more bucks if they advertised the city ticket and Atlantic tickets, because I think a lot of people want to use the service, but avoid it due to how expensive it is in comparison to the bus to bus or bus to subway alternative. Of course many of them don’t know that they could save money. The MTA thinks they are slick by not informing people about the additional fare options that can help the rider save money but they themselves end up being the losers, because people will stick with paying $2.75 instead of potentially having folks paying $4.50 or $5 with the Atlantic/City tickets.

What benefit would OMNY have for LIRR riders especially if you can get tickets using the mobile app and or use your card/ tap your device at a ticket machine to get a ticket? The only benefit I can see is if they allow you to transfer between bus/subway and LIRR. It would be cool to pay $2.75 on the bus and they pay the remaining amount to match the price of a LIRR ticket. 

Yeah, they only advertise it at participating stations, sometimes over the speakers, but that's about it. It's like they don't want NEW customers haha. 

As for OMNY, that would be a cool option to get a transfer like that.

On 2/3/2021 at 3:42 PM, trainfan22 said:

ALL of the stores on the LIRR concourse is now closed, all of them. I'm bummed about this cause I liked to eat at the Charley's there, get popcorn from the popcorn stands and wanted to try Rose Pizza.  All of that is gone now. Probably will be replaced with snobby high end stores like at GCT, I preferred Penn over GCT for the store selection alone. LIRR riders are going to miss grabbing a bear before hopping on the train home, I wonder if LIRR riders will utilize the high end stores that replaced the old stores...

Oh wow, Rosas pizza had two locations down there and their pizza was pretty good. Magnolia Bakery was good too.

On 2/3/2021 at 9:31 PM, bobtehpanda said:

The plan is that they are doubling the width of the concourse to ease crowding. So it will be replaced by less retail.

Will there be retail on the other end in the new station?

Not surprised about commercial rents not being in-line with reality; the old Municipal Parking Garage built in the '70s at Queens Plaza used to have a bunch of storefront space that was never rented out because the costs were exorbitant.  It was a real head-scratcher why it was so high especially considering the building itself was a big concrete eyesore:

img_3019.jpg?w=773&h=&zoom=2

Edited by R10 2952

On 2/3/2021 at 3:42 PM, trainfan22 said:

ALL of the stores on the LIRR concourse is now closed, all of them. I'm bummed about this cause I liked to eat at the Charley's there, get popcorn from the popcorn stands and wanted to try Rose Pizza.  All of that is gone now. Probably will be replaced with snobby high end stores like at GCT, I preferred Penn over GCT for the store selection alone. LIRR riders are going to miss grabbing a bear before hopping on the train home, I wonder if LIRR riders will utilize the high end stores that replaced the old stores...

This makes me miss the trackside bar carts and two boots. GCT once had its cheap options too. But building a high-end food hall across the street from another high-end food hall made all the sense in the world.

2 hours ago, N6 Limited said:

Will there be retail on the other end in the new station?

My understanding is that Moniyhan, like every other station project (Fulton, WTC, etc.) is a shopping mall with a train station attached.

Here's the concourse project description: https://www.amodernli.com/project/east-end-gateway-and-lirr-concourse/

4 hours ago, QM1to6Ave said:

Is that famous oyster bar in. GCT still in business? Last i read, i think it was about to go under from covid a few months back. 

I haven't been down in the Concourse in a while. Much of everything was still closed last time I was down there, and now they are doing renovations.

• 3 weeks later...

I was taking a look at some Amtrak fares and noticed that a lot of them are similar to or in some cases cheaper than the commuter railroads (Metro-North and Shore Line East, and even with the Hartford Line the direct trains are the same price as those involving a transfer at New Haven...and those are even a bit cheaper than taking Metro-North and transferring)

10 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/

New LIRR timetable effective March 2021. Pretty significant service reductions for train service especially for local stations. 

At this point LIRR should just run all the trains as locals

The fact that they still have trains with 'peak' designation is what kills me.

12 hours ago, Mtatransit said:

http://web.mta.info/lirr/Timetable/

New LIRR timetable effective March 2021. Pretty significant service reductions for train service especially for local stations. 

At this point LIRR should just run all the trains as locals

The trains are running empty, so they're reducing service temporarily until ridership comes back. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

3 hours ago, 40MntVrn said:

The fact that they still have trains with 'peak' designation is what kills me.

Honestly, I think in some ways, this pattern is better. At a glance, you don't have so many crazy gaps at some stations, or any crazy stopping patterns (e.g. Those 3-stop expresses on the Babylon Branch). And most notably, you also have some reverse-peak service on the Main Line. (It sucks that some of the local stations and less busy branches have one hour headways during rush hour, but all things considered, it's not terrible). 

27 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Honestly, I think in some ways, this pattern is better. At a glance, you don't have so many crazy gaps at some stations, or any crazy stopping patterns (e.g. Those 3-stop expresses on the Babylon Branch). And most notably, you also have some reverse-peak service on the Main Line. (It sucks that some of the local stations and less busy branches have one hour headways during rush hour, but all things considered, it's not terrible). 

Yeah that was what I was thinking too. The gaps the during the peak hours on the Main Line has been filled. However, I still think there should be better train service along main corridors such as Babylon and Ronkonkoma. I just have no idea why they are bothering running semi expresses when the trains are so infrequent.

Overall, its not too bad for electric territory. The diesel territory on the other hand just got completely shortchanged. They should aleast maintain hourly service along these branches, especially the OB branch since the train has a crazy amount of layover at Jamaica anyways

Edited by Mtatransit

33 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I should have been more specific. I find it interesting peak fares are still being collected. 

3 minutes ago, 40MntVrn said:

I should have been more specific. I find it interesting peak fares are still being collected. 

All fares are currently off peak until further notice. I have no idea why they still designate which trains are peak trains

37 minutes ago, Mtatransit said:

All fares are currently off peak until further notice. I have no idea why they still designate which trains are peak trains

Because this isn't permanent. As soon as the ridership rebounds, they'll add back service as they can.  They've already added back a lot of MNRR service, though not all of it.

1 hour ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Because this isn't permanent. As soon as the ridership rebounds, they'll add back service as they can.  They've already added back a lot of MNRR service, though not all of it.

Adding or removing service has nothing to do with designating certain trains as peak/off-peak. That's literally just marking down which trains arrive and leave at their NYC terminals within that timeframe. 

@Mtatransit FYI, NJT still marks them as peak/off-peak and there's no fare differential.

11 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

Adding or removing service has nothing to do with designating certain trains as peak/off-peak. That's literally just marking down which trains arrive and leave at their NYC terminals within that timeframe. 

Ok, so what's the reason then? You're quick to try to call yourself correcting people... They've been charging off-peak fares for several months now since the pandemic started. 

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The new schedule imo sucks. Some of these trains are easily carrying 60-80 people per car during rush hours, scaling back service to weekend service levels (which is what these new schedules are based off of) is stupid, especially during a pandemic. They should not be scaling back service during the peak hours, hourly off-peak. Fine. These new schedules leave 30 min gaps in service which would leave trains packed during peak hours.  Diesel service got gutted too, especially on the PJ branch, it went from 7 to 4 trains during AM peak and they removed one of the direct trains to Penn. That's not rly the aggravating point, it's the scheduling, first train departs at 4:44 (to Jamaica now) -> 5:44 (to Huntington) -> 5:52 (to Penn) -> 7:13 (to Huntington), why would they send the 5:52 to Penn 8 minutes after the 5:44 and then leaving over an hour and change until the next train. Change that 5:52 train to ~6:30 and it might actually pick-up some passengers. The 5:44 train connects with an electric train that is scheduled to arrive at Penn just 5 minutes before the 5:52 diesel. 

2 minutes ago, danielhg121 said:

The new schedule imo sucks. Some of these trains are easily carrying 60-80 people per car during rush hours, scaling back service to weekend service levels (which is what these new schedules are based off of) is stupid, especially during a pandemic. They should not be scaling back service during the peak hours, hourly off-peak. Fine. These new schedules leave 30 min gaps in service which would leave trains packed during peak hours.  Diesel service got gutted too, especially on the PJ branch, it went from 7 to 4 trains during AM peak and they removed one of the direct trains to Penn. That's not rly the aggravating point, it's the scheduling, first train departs at 4:44 (to Jamaica now) -> 5:44 (to Huntington) -> 5:52 (to Penn) -> 7:13 (to Huntington), why would they send the 5:52 to Penn 8 minutes after the 5:44 and then leaving over an hour and change until the next train. Change that 5:52 train to ~6:30 and it might actually pick-up some passengers. The 5:44 train connects with an electric train that is scheduled to arrive at Penn just 5 minutes before the 5:52 diesel. 

Well according to the (MTA) , LIRR ridership is below 70%, so they are saying that the ridership is not there to run that much service. 

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority emphasized during its monthly board meeting that the planned cuts on the LIRR are not "budget related," but rather a reflection of the railroad's low — and falling — ridership.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/transportation/mta-board-meeting-1.50094212

2 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Ok, so what's the reason then? You're quick to try to call yourself correcting people...

I already explained. Peak trains arrive at their NYC terminal between 6am and 10am, and depart between 4pm and 8pm. That's all the peak/off-peak designation means. 

1 minute ago, danielhg121 said:

I agree with you on the Port Jefferson Branch comment. There's also a similar situation on the Ronkonkoma Branch (5:00am and 5:08am out of Ronkonkoma).

I agree they cut a bit too much peak service. I think they should've kept it every 30 minutes on most branches, rather than hourly. 

Just now, checkmatechamp13 said:

I already explained. Peak trains arrive at their NYC terminal between 6am and 10am, and depart between 4pm and 8pm. That's all the peak/off-peak designation means. 

I'm aware of that, but the question was why do they still make the distinction between which trains are peak when the fare is off-peak for all trains at the moment? I don't see any other logical explanation than this being pandemic related.  

17 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Well according to the (MTA) , LIRR ridership is below 70%, so they are saying that the ridership is not there to run that much service. 

They're trimming too much fat off the peak trips but that's where the bulk of the ridership lies, not in off-peak service. Off-peak service is being run at a total loss and they can't expect that trimming off the peak service is gonna help their budget, it'd do the opposite in the long run. People would rather drive-in rather than stand shoulder to shoulder. The sad part is they have the data to know which trips are full and which aren't from the sensors above the door, they can count how many people get on each car and this is true for M7 and M9's mainly. 

On an slightly unrelated note, they've been doing signal work for the whole weekend and today in Mineola and they've been cutting peak trips here and there to reduce the disruption through the area, the trains are packed and riders have been tweeting at the LIRR for their gross incompetence. 

This is just sad... 

Edited by danielhg121