Unplanned Subway Service Changes

Guest lance25

There was a Yankees game yesterday but they're not playing until tomorrow.  I wonder what's going on here.

Due to NYPD investigation of a customer injury at 161 St-Yankee Stadium, the following service changes are in effect:

b.pngtrain service is suspended between Brighton Beach and Bedford Pk Blvd in both directions.

There is no d.png train service between 125 St and Norwood-205 St in both directions.

Northbound d.png trains are running on the c.png line from 125 St to 168 St.

a.pngb.png, c.png and d.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

As an alternative, customers are advised to the use the 1.png, 4.png trains and the Bx19 bus service.

Allow additional travel time.

Edited by Joel Up Front

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good question:

Why would an injury at 161 cause the (D) to have to go via 8th Avenue to 168 and the (B) to be fully suspended?  Couldn't at the very least the (B) have gone to 145 like it normally does evenings anyway OR have the (D) terminate there and have the (B) just run via the (C) to 168 (if both the (B) and (D) can't terminate at 145)?

Good question:

Why would an injury at 161 cause the (D) to have to go via 8th Avenue to 168 and the (B) to be fully suspended?  Couldn't at the very least the (B) have gone to 145 like it normally does evenings anyway OR have the (D) terminate there and have the (B) just run via the (C) to 168 (if both the (B) and (D) can't terminate at 145)?

Why not they terminate the (B) at 145th and sending the (D) express while the NYPD activity is occurring. 12-9 possible. 

York and Lafayette towers aren't manned except in GOs so trains CAN NOT be turned there during unplanned service changes.

As for the incident tonight, there were WAY too many trains on the road to start turning all B and D service at 145/168.

Edited by Snowblock

I've always wondered what it would look like on the railroad when they wave the white flag on an entire line over some isolated incident like this... But yeah, depending if a power off situation at 161 would affect 145 too, 168th and 207th can't handle up to 4 lines terminating, relaying, discharging, and laying up all those trains at the same time at that hour. If a (B) or (D) ended up in Queens somewhere, I wouldn't be surprised.

There were also some problems at 47th-50th both directions, that led to reroutes.

Okay, that explains why the (B) was fully suspended.  

Then what needs to be considered in a situation like that would be if possible to have the (B) and (C) terminate at 168 while the (D) goes with the (A) to 207 and terminates there.

Okay, that explains why the (B) was fully suspended.  

Then what needs to be considered in a situation like that would be if possible to have the (B) and (C) terminate at 168 while the (D) goes with the (A) to 207 and terminates there.

Wallyhorse, your post was preceded by a very befitting answer:

I've always wondered what it would look like on the railroad when they wave the white flag on an entire line over some isolated incident like this... But yeah, depending if a power off situation at 161 would affect 145 too, 168th and 207th can't handle up to 4 lines terminating, relaying, discharging, and laying up all those trains at the same time at that hour. If a (B) or (D) ended up in Queens somewhere, I wouldn't be surprised.

145 Street should be as far as trains go when problems occur on the lower portion of the Grand Concourse line. Service quality goes down when you cram more trains into a two-track terminal. In fact, all three tracks on the lower level can be used to turn trains: the northbound for the (D) express, southbound for the (B) local, and middle track for either. But the (B) should be suspended in any case.

Wallyhorse, your post was preceded by a very befitting answer:

145 Street should be as far as trains go when problems occur on the lower portion of the Grand Concourse line. Service quality goes down when you cram more trains into a two-track terminal. In fact, all three tracks on the lower level can be used to turn trains: the northbound for the (D) express, southbound for the (B) local, and middle track for either. But the (B) should be suspended in any case.

I was in that mess. The reason why they didn't turned (D) Trains at 145 Lower Level was because they already had (B) Trains down there OOS. Btw even though the website said the (D) Trains were going to 168, they actually didn't. They turned them at 59th Street or 34th Street during the incident and 2 of the remaining Bravos in Service actually went to 168th Street before going OOS.

145 can barely turn the (B) on a regular day. You're all being unrealistic about how many trains these terminals can turn, especially on the latter end of rush hour where every other arrival at 207 is a layup to the yard (which means that one of the tracks is going to be occupied for at least 5 minutes while the train is cleaned out) and those uptown (B) were supposed to stay in service to Bedford so they could layup in Concourse. You can't send two services to 207 and two services to 168 and not back up the entire CPW line. Remember that at 168 ALL trains must be cleaned out before they can relay. Also remember that when a train gets sent to a foreign terminal there is no crew to take that train back out, and the crew who brought it in is not gonna want to do an entire extra trip without getting a break first ESPECIALLY if they're an AM crew who was supposed to finish uptown.

And yes Daniel, we did send some (D) to 168 or Dyckman, but they went out of service at 125 and continued lite there. I'd love to know where all these customers trying to get to the Bronx went though. That's the one aspect I didn't get to see last night.

Nevermind, I just worked through this whole incident last night, I don't know half about running a railroad as the members of this forum do......

145 can barely turn the (B) on a regular day. You're all being unrealistic about how many trains these terminals can turn, especially on the latter end of rush hour where every other arrival at 207 is a layup to the yard (which means that one of the tracks is going to be occupied for at least 5 minutes while the train is cleaned out) and those uptown (B) were supposed to stay in service to Bedford so they could layup in Concourse. You can't send two services to 207 and two services to 168 and not back up the entire CPW line. Remember that at 168 ALL trains must be cleaned out before they can relay. Also remember that when a train gets sent to a foreign terminal there is no crew to take that train back out, and the crew who brought it in is not gonna want to do an entire extra trip without getting a break first ESPECIALLY if they're an AM crew who was supposed to finish uptown.

And yes Daniel, we did send some (D) to 168 or Dyckman, but they went out of service at 125 and continued lite there. I'd love to know where all these customers trying to get to the Bronx went though. That's the one aspect I didn't get to see last night.

Nevermind, I just worked through this whole incident last night, I don't know half about running a railroad as the members of this forum do......

Yeah I did some trains running light. That explains why I saw 2 (D) Trains OOS northbound passing 81st Street.

Due to Con Ed power failure at Lexington Av-63 St, the following service changes are in effect:

f.png trains are running on the e.png line from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to 5 Av-53 St then on the m.png to 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr in both directions.

There is no m.png train service between Delancey St-Essex St and Forest Hills-71 Av in both directions.

71 Av-bound m.png trains are running on the j.png line from Delancey St-Essex St to Chambers St.

e.pngf.png and Metropolitan Av-bound m.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Why they do have to knock out the (M) instead of sending some (M) running normal route. 

Due to Con Ed power failure at Lexington Av-63 St, the following service changes are in effect:

f.png trains are running on the e.png line from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to 5 Av-53 St then on the m.png to 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr in both directions.

There is no m.png train service between Delancey St-Essex St and Forest Hills-71 Av in both directions.

71 Av-bound m.png trains are running on the j.png line from Delancey St-Essex St to Chambers St.

e.pngf.png and Metropolitan Av-bound m.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

Why they do have to knock out the (M) instead of sending some (M) running normal route. 

They should offer shuttle buses from 21st-Queensbridge to Roosevelt Island making connection at Queens Plaza. The Q102 might be packed already and lines are possibility forming at the Roosevelt Island tram toward Manhattan.

There's not enough capacity to run all three services though 53rd during rush hour... so the (M) gets the boot.

Due to Con Ed power failure at Lexington Av-63 St, the following service changes are in effect:

f.png trains are running on the e.png line from Jackson Hts-Roosevelt Av to 5 Av-53 St then on the m.png to 47-50 Sts-Rockefeller Ctr in both directions.

There is no m.png train service between Delancey St-Essex St and Forest Hills-71 Av in both directions.

71 Av-bound m.png trains are running on the j.png line from Delancey St-Essex St to Chambers St.

e.png, f.png and Metropolitan Av-bound m.png trains are running with delays in both directions.

I was on the first F to be rerouted via 53rd going to Queens. They held it at 47-50 for about 10 minutes before going via 53rd unnanounced, and the E and M just stacked behind it. So they probably turned the remaining Ms because the E F and M couldnt fit thru 53rd all at once during the rush

Is that whwre the (B) trains go when the whole line is knocked out? 145 lower?

Well, they have to go somewhere. Since 145 Street can be a terminal, it should be used instead of jamming 207 ( (A)) or 168 Street ( (C)). Unfortunately, trains don’t conveniently disappear when the line is shut down. Those trains already on their way have to continue until they can be temporarily stored/sorted out/returned to the yard.

The (B)/(D) were a royal mess around 5:30, so that wouldn't surprise me. I was on a (B) that took close to 50 minutes to get from West 4th to 96th. That should be a 25-30 minute trip. Endless reds in the tunnels, conductor kept referring to 'major congestion.'

This morning around 11:10 or so, the (F) I was on went express from 179th st to 71st Ave because of a smoke condition at Van Wyck Blvd.

The previous (F) was held in the station at Parsons Blvd, people ran over when we arrived, and at Van Wyck Blvd there was an (E) which appeared to be moving slowly, half way out of the station with  FDNY on board and smoke toward the front of the train. 

Due to switch problems at Astoria-Ditmars Blvd, the following service changes are in effect:

Southbound n.png trains are running express from Astoria-Ditmars Blvd to Queensboro Plaza.

Northbound q.png trains terminate at 57 St-7 Av.

Interesting that they just terminating the (Q) at 57th street but still sending the (N) to Astoria. They really need to have a entire weekend shutdown on the Astoria portion of the (N) to do the switch work.