Second Avenue Subway Discussion

CenSin

2 hours ago, imagineverything said:

There is a huge opportunity to design this at a depth where it can continue under the Hudson to NJ.

Any geology experts here? What are the soil conditions and bathymetry like between 125th/Broadway and Edgewater NJ Tunnel Portal (388 Old River Rd, Edgewater, NJ 07020)? What depth would the Broadway station need to be in order to continue west to NJ?

This line has no business going to jersey. It would be the most logical to send it to the Bronx 

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jdog14 said:

This line has no business going to jersey. It would be the most logical to send it to the Bronx 

Lowering speed limit to 20MPH in NYC? is this a joke? People can barely get from point A to point B under 25MPH and 30MPH limits. We need speed limits minimally at 35-40MPH and pedestrian guard rails to prevent idiotic pedestrians from crossing WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!

4 minutes ago, darkstar8983 said:

Lowering speed limit to 20MPH in NYC? is this a joke? People can barely get from point A to point B under 25MPH and 30MPH limits. We need speed limits minimally at 35-40MPH and pedestrian guard rails to prevent idiotic pedestrians from crossing WHEN THEY DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!

What.

22 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

one that tries to tie into 8th Avenue/CPW.

That would be some epic trolling. After a century, the solution would be to make people around 3 Avenue walk/bus to Grand Concourse, then take the roundabout trip crosstown to St. Nicholas Avenue (8 Avenue) and back again to 2 Avenue. Moreover, because there is no Phase 3, the train just veers off course right back to the west side of Manhattan (7 Avenue) before veering east again along Broadway.

“There is your solution, folks! Take it or leave it. There’s no more incentive to build the real thing now.”

9 hours ago, CenSin said:

That would be some epic trolling. After a century, the solution would be to make people around 3 Avenue walk/bus to Grand Concourse, then take the roundabout trip crosstown to St. Nicholas Avenue (8 Avenue) and back again to 2 Avenue. Moreover, because there is no Phase 3, the train just veers off course right back to the west side of Manhattan (7 Avenue) before veering east again along Broadway.

“There is your solution, folks! Take it or leave it. There’s no more incentive to build the real thing now.”

I mean, it could be used for a connection to Washington Heights and possibly Inwood, which would add a connection to 207. At the very least, it could make some non-revenue moves a bit easier.

14 hours ago, Lex said:

I mean, it could be used for a connection to Washington Heights and possibly Inwood, which would add a connection to 207. At the very least, it could make some non-revenue moves a bit easier.

But its very existence would threaten the probability of building the straight tunnel to the Bronx. We’re talking about the same agency which admits a “no build” option as a viable choice in its studies. As long as a cheaper option exists, it will be the favored excuse for procrastinating on the real Bronx SAS extension.

When they tore down the 3rd Ave El they left a big hole in the transit up in the Bronx.  I've biked the length of the el from Gun Hill all the way down to 149th and you can feel there is something missing there.  Why I was biking on 3rd Ave in The Bronx is still something I ask myself, there are a lot better places to ride even in The Bronx.  But I did get a slice in Belmont!  It would certainly pick the area up if there were direct transit there.

On 1/10/2024 at 3:25 PM, darkstar8983 said:

Tell me you haven't read a thing about speed limits without telling me you've never read a thing about speed limits.

In cities, 20-25mph is considered the perfect speed limit. Not only that, but the reduction doesn't really impact travel times. What really affects that is intersection frequency and driver behavior.

11 hours ago, CenSin said:

But its very existence would threaten the probability of building the straight tunnel to the Bronx. We’re talking about the same agency which admits a “no build” option as a viable choice in its studies. As long as a cheaper option exists, it will be the favored excuse for procrastinating on the real Bronx SAS extension.

Would it, though? Unless you have evidence to the contrary, Phase 1 was not constructed to handle more than a single pair of tracks, Phase 3 is up in the air, and no maintenance facilities are planned for the alignment, which means any Phase 3/4 trains will need to come from either Coney Island (via the (N)/(Q), a long and arduous journey either way) or Jamaica (good luck without a complementary route!). The sheer lack of any indication that Bronx service is actually in the cards is itself rather damning.

For what it's worth, if a connection to 8th Avenue ended up being built and saw regular revenue service, I wouldn't bother sending the resulting route to the Bronx.

I was thinking about this proposal lately and thought of a way to handle the demand for the line in the Bronx vs across 125st.

Why not have the (Q) cross 125st to meet the (1) on the other side of 125st 

And have the (T) go into the Bronx to end at Fordham but my problem is would it make more sense to put on 3rd avenue or Webster 

2 hours ago, 40 to 241st said:

I was thinking about this proposal lately and thought of a way to handle the demand for the line in the Bronx vs across 125st.

Why not have the (Q) cross 125st to meet the (1) on the other side of 125st 

And have the (T) go into the Bronx to end at Fordham but my problem is would it make more sense to put on 3rd avenue or Webster 

Spoilers: You're not the first person to have suggested that, there have been hundreds of others not even on just this forum that have proposed this. 

15 minutes ago, Vulturious said:

Spoilers: You're not the first person to have suggested that, there have been hundreds of others not even on just this forum that have proposed this. 

Would it make more sense to put the (T) on Third Av or Webster

1 hour ago, 40 to 241st said:

Would it make more sense to put the (T) on Third Av or Webster

Personally, no. I'd rather the (Q) go into the Bronx and let the (T) run the 125 St Crosstown service so that it can hit more subway lines. Especially considering the (Q) already has access to a lot of major areas and subway lines going through midtown Manhattan and hitting the heart of it at that.

There are planned provisions from what I heard about SAS going into the Bronx. Only problem is that most of the people in charge don't really care, especially given other subway projects that have been looked at recently through the Needs Assessment report aren't even considered whether blatantly stated or subtle approach through the price. 

For example, the short extension for the (3) from New Lots Av station towards Gateway Mall is $1.8 Billion. The only reason the extension was considered in the first place is because Livonia yard is planned for a reconstruction so the MTA thought to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. Normally, that's okay, but the pricing is way too extreme and yes even with the reconstruction for the yard it still is too much in my opinion. Another outragous example is the Utica Av subway which they put the cost to be nearly $16 Billion which the MTA is blatantly favoring a BRT along it instead. 

You're more than welcome to look at what I'm talking about here.

On 1/10/2024 at 12:48 AM, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

From what I read, Hochul seemed to imply she wanted to do the Crosstown as a continuation of Phase II, which would be great, though ofc who knows what things will look like in 8-10 years; good chance it gets pushed off a bit like SAS Phase II.

I will say though no real mention of Phase III of SAS - at this point crosstown extension seems like the favorite after Phase II, and while I'd love for both, I agree that Crosstown is probably more needed. I honestly think both MTA and politicians really want to avoid Phase III as much as possible because it's price tag would be absolutely insane - 6 stations in midtown Manhattan, multiple potential transfers, ect. 

I hope MTA will seriously consider multiple variants of the crosstown including one that ends at 8th Avenue, one that goes all the way to connect with the (1), and one that tries to tie into 8th Avenue/CPW.

I would do it where it goes to Broadway but ALSO has a connection to the 8th Avenue line at St. Nicholas.  I would be looking at potentially doing a station as suggested elsewhere where you could transfer to the (2) (3) at the east end and the (A) (B) (C) and (D) at the west end of a station that ends east of St. Nicholas and west of Lenox, more easily allowing for the SAS to connect using the middle tracks on 8th Avenue on each side of the six-track setup and then continue either to the Concourse or Washington Heights.  This would for now be mainly for G.O.s and emergency reroutes (and also Yankee Stadium specials from/to the SAS) but would allow for permanent runs from the SAS further uptown on the west side.